Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can Cook keep us winning?

Fleetwood Win
31%
Ipswich Win
23%
Draw
46%

Total votes: 13

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:08 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:06 pm
Magicmark wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:59 pm
Yes I've just moved to Wymondham.
EEEK you poor man :(
I love the place, even if it is now sprawling with masses of housing development!
Hey Mark, many moons ago I lived about 7 miles from Wymondham at Easton, played for Easton FC for 2 seasons before moving to Chelmsford. Never really settled there although 13 years later I moved back to Norwich and lived in the City Centre. As much as I’ve always loved footie and always watched the local team I never could bring myself round to going to Carrow Road unless Town were playing.

Back on thread. Following Town at the moment is getting bloody painful, if PC can scramble anything out of this season it would be a miracle. Our best hope is that he’s given a free hand to do a mass clear out and start again keeping a max half dozen or so of the current squad.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:53 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:21 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:10 pm
Just had to google Wymondham.

WTF you all doing in Norfolk? :shock:

GTF outta there before the zombies get ye! :lol:
Yes it's full of people wearing big yellow dusters,I call them the diarrhoea boys
:lol: Nice.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:17 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -shoulders

Cleaners at the training ground have a chance of playing Saturday 🤔😃

Good to have a manager who says it as it is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:17 am

Yes, well said cookie and on these very forum pages when ITFC were in the championship with Hurst and staring at L1,..... (and in response to some thinking L1 would be good for the club....... Remember that?) ....., I definitely did say that Ipswich Town FC in League One would be akin to Hibs in the Scottish Champiobship. And he's just said it. Every game basically a cup final for the Plymouths and gillinghams and feckin Fleetwoods?? (Who?) --->> ; they up their performance.

Hopefully that fact is driven hard into their skulls and the team come out with some fighting spirit v Portsmouth. Big game and very interested in watching that one. See what the response will be to Cookies four days of wisdom.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 am

Just as well didn't have to waste time on this sh*t. Caught the score late second half and by then we were two goals in reverse and looking poles apart from salvaging anything from it. VIewed some reaction and game report on TWTD and selected posts here then realized what occurred out there was really nothing new. New manager comes in but one win from four games is it, Cook is by no means under pressure as yet but some will start to doubt if their is a continuation of this and Gillingham all too often.

Feel like abandoning the promotion issue some things never change. Evans appears to be going nowhere and until the son of a bitch is once and for all removed from all things Ipswich Town Football Club there is really no sense in having expectation to something that in all truth won't happen.

Team is not got enough, too inconsistent. Has one good game amid three or four poor ones. We are not promotion material as the inability to beat anyone above is in the league near always demonstrates. In the not too distant past a league loss to today's opposition would have been in the realm of fiction. Poor team performance, sub--standard score, nowhere near good enough - disappointing to learn but by no way surprising.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 am

Thank god Cook can see we are dross, he is the right man for the job, 100%, just give him the time to shovel up all the sh*te though, its a massive pile

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 am
Thank god Cook can see we are dross, he is the right man for the job, 100%, just give him the time to shovel up all the sh*te though, its a massive pile
I think he is the right man. But not with this personnel. He’s very much a stubborn 4-2-3-1 manager. He inherited a squad who were supposedly’built’ to play 4-2-3-1 - yet we’ve got no physicality and energy in midfield or up front and we don’t look like we have any goals or pace out wide. And absolutely no desire or passion within the whole team. It was men against boys for pretty much 90 minutes.

Norwood looks twice the player now.... just because he wasn’t involved at all in this sh*t show.

Based on that, I don’t think Cook will get much out of that squad of players. Needs a transfer window right now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:23 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 am
Norwood looks twice the player now.... just because he wasn’t involved at all in this sh*t show.
Would’ve been entertaining if the TWTD guy had alluded to that.
“Right, that’s 4 times you’ve mentioned the fat bstd! I’m warning ye!”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 am

Having only watched us on tv this season I really can’t comment on games.
However, when I hear people saying that the players can’t even complete a 5 yard pass to a team mate then I don’t think it makes much difference what formation we play. At the end of the day most of these players aren’t good enough.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 am
I really hope you are right, Mike, but I'm reserving judgement on him at the moment as I'm far from convinced about him.

As I have said before, I feel sorry for him having inherited such a pile of sh*t of a squad.
He may have his own ideas about how he wants us to play, but for the rest of this season his focus ought to be to win as many games as he can and he's not going to do that by trying to get the players he has to play the way he wants, because they are simply not good enough to do it. I think a good manager would have realised that by now and reverted to a simpler system until he is able to get rid of the dross and replace with better quality.

If I were him, I would offload all those who are out of contract at the end of the season plus those on whom we have an option, REGARDLESS of who they are. EVERY member of the squad has failed the club over the last 2 or 3 seasons. Then maybe he can build a squad capable of playing the way he wants - I say maybe because both PH and PL favoured the same system as he does, but they were never able to bring in sufficient quality to play it successfully, so maybe financial constraints mean that this can never happen.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:38 am

Yes it has come to that now . 53 professionally contracted players at this Club. It’s Utterly ridiculous.

Problem is if we clear all of them out we’re could have another Hurst recruitment situation on our hands couldn’t we. New players in do take time to get it together .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:48 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:38 am
Yes it has come to that now . 53 professionally contracted players at this Club. It’s Utterly ridiculous.

Problem is if we clear all of them out we’re could have another Hurst recruitment situation on our hands couldn’t we. New players in do take time to get it together .
I think I’d trust Cook in recruitment more than Hurst. And it’s likely to be a League One rebuild than a Championship. Michael Appleton virtually brought in a new team over the summer at Lincoln and it gelled together pretty quickly.

New players might take time to gel, but our current group of players have proved they can’t improve over 2-3 seasons. Why give them an extra year? Contracts expiring for so many will be a plus for us rather than a negative.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:54 am

I think Paul Cook is by far the best of our recent managerial appointments to get us back into the Championship although we may need to be patient as it isn’t going to happen overnight. He has proved before than he can motivate very average players to perform above themselves and play a brand of football that is easy on the eye and brings success. What we can expect from him is to use the next dozen games to identify who he wants to keep and who will be in the mass exodus to leave in the summer clear out, as I recall we have a number of players who will be out of contract. I also expect to see some new faces coming in including players who have played for him before.

All this said, despite recent performances we’re not out of the play offs and I’m sure Paul Cook will be thinking this too, and if only he can find the right set up with what we have a miracle could happen and he won’t give up on it yet. You only have to look at the recent loss of form at Portsmouth, Doncaster Rovers and even Lincoln City to see how quickly things can change and how teams who looked almost certs for a top six finish can suddenly struggle creating opportunities for others.

Whatever the outcome I feel happier now than at anytime since McCarthy left that we have a manager that fits properly with our football club for where we are and is future proofed for the Championship if/when we get there.

I’ve no idea what’s happened with the rumoured takeover and wonder if it was ever really there or just a figment of somebody’s imagination and hope.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:33 am

Agree with all of that Andy, I think its a thankless task atm for any manager, Cook will sort it but as Rossi says it would be nice and encouraging to see him change tactics a bit, I think he might.

Going forward I wouldn't lose any sleep at losing any player in this squad but if I was pushed I would keep Downes, Bishop, Norwood and Dozzell, add to that a fully fit KVY, I think I would also have Dobra and definitely Baggott with a view to next season cus that lad is definitely gonna be the real deal and he won't p*ss around in League One for long.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 am
Having only watched us on tv this season I really can’t comment on games.
However, when I hear people saying that the players can’t even complete a 5 yard pass to a team mate then I don’t think it makes much difference what formation we play. At the end of the day most of these players aren’t good enough.
Best squad in the league remember!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 pm

But who is the best squad ? Hull ? Who we beat, player for player most people would probably say we are right up there cus we sure as hell should be.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 pm
But who is the best squad ? Hull ? Who we beat, player for player most people would probably say we are right up there cus we sure as hell should be.
Best squad? No idea. Clearly not us though and pretty much everyone can see this. The performances do not lie.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:48 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:38 am

I think I’d trust Cook in recruitment more than Hurst. And it’s likely to be a League One rebuild than a Championship. Michael Appleton virtually brought in a new team over the summer at Lincoln and it gelled together pretty quickly.

New players might take time to gel, but our current group of players have proved they can’t improve over 2-3 seasons. Why give them an extra year? Contracts expiring for so many will be a plus for us rather than a negative.
Agreed tang. Like Mike though, I struggle to name a player out of this shower, that Id be upset to lose or that we'd miss.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:53 am

Possibly Toto but even he is prone to making big mistakes

SéCal

Post by SéCal » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:18 am

Long time lurker, lads and lasses, but I if you don't mind, I thought I'd throw in my tuppence, to lift a bit of gloom, based on being a Sligo Rovers fan (born and bred). Paul Cook transformed our little club - made the players proud of the shirt, brought a lovely brand of football too. By his 2nd year at the club, we were everyone's favourite 'other team' cos of the way we played - and when the chips are down that's a nice feeling. Its nearly ten years since he was with Sligo, but he is still remembered for bringing the best years of our club. Pride in the jersey, pride in the town and sharing it with the fans. If he is half the manager he was before he went to Accrington Stanley, he will be good for Ipswich and I wish you all that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:26 am

That definitely does lift a bit of the gloom. What an excellent post. Welcome to the forum and hope you stick around, SéCal. 👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:28 am

You come on here talking in that manner !!! All positive and uplifting, how dare you !!!!

On a serious note welcome mate, that is fab to read and offers real hope that he is the man to lift the gloom, I wanted him here and believe he will get us therein time. Please stick around and keep posting

SéCal

Post by SéCal » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks lads - will do. Here's two other insights to the man that hopefully show he is the right stuff. As a Scouser, he refused to talk to 'The Sun' because of their treatment of Liverpool fans after Hillsborough. Ans on personal note, a friend does cameras for RTE (National TV here) and after a game, said friend was on the handheld camera to interview Paul Cook - my mate is small and Cookie was on a platform, which meant my mate was struggling to get a decent shot - plus he was getting on a bit and was knackered. Cookie notice and said 'Do you want me to crouch down?" my mate thought he was joking, but no - Paul Cook did a 5minute interview live on tv, crouching a bit to help out a camera op. Says a lot about him I hope. And from reading the general posts from this forum over the years, I reckon Town have some pretty decent fans and a good vibe under it all. Stay well and keep the faith!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 am

SéCal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:52 am
Thanks lads - will do. Here's two other insights to the man that hopefully show he is the right stuff. As a Scouser, he refused to talk to 'The Sun' because of their treatment of Liverpool fans after Hillsborough. Ans on personal note, a friend does cameras for RTE (National TV here) and after a game, said friend was on the handheld camera to interview Paul Cook - my mate is small and Cookie was on a platform, which meant my mate was struggling to get a decent shot - plus he was getting on a bit and was knackered. Cookie notice and said 'Do you want me to crouch down?" my mate thought he was joking, but no - Paul Cook did a 5minute interview live on tv, crouching a bit to help out a camera op. Says a lot about him I hope. And from reading the general posts from this forum over the years, I reckon Town have some pretty decent fans and a good vibe under it all. Stay well and keep the faith!
Nice one mate, and thanks for posting.

I know it’s early days but there is something about PC that makes me think he will be great for our club.

There is no BS and I have a feeling a lot of players are in for a rude awakening.

Cheers Dave

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:00 pm

SéCal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:18 am
Long time lurker, lads and lasses, but I if you don't mind, I thought I'd throw in my tuppence, to lift a bit of gloom, based on being a Sligo Rovers fan (born and bred). Paul Cook transformed our little club - made the players proud of the shirt, brought a lovely brand of football too. By his 2nd year at the club, we were everyone's favourite 'other team' cos of the way we played - and when the chips are down that's a nice feeling. Its nearly ten years since he was with Sligo, but he is still remembered for bringing the best years of our club. Pride in the jersey, pride in the town and sharing it with the fans. If he is half the manager he was before he went to Accrington Stanley, he will be good for Ipswich and I wish you all that.
Welcome Sé and thank you for the very positive contributions. Go raibh míle maith agat. I hope that's right 🙂

SéCal

Post by SéCal » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:01 am

Spot on John Deere. thanks for that. By the way, this popped into my inbox. Its an interview by Alan Cawley an ex League of Ireland player. Cookie is still hoarse from shouting after the Gillingham game, its a bit long but its a good chat from the man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rosM7A45ppc

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks secal - enjoyed that video. Haven’t a clue about Sligo the club and the players at that time -but Cookie’s such an infectious character you can’t help liking him and getting dragged in. Let’s hope he has the same impact here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks Secal......, and 10:00 - 10:10......., only 10 seconds......., thats all MEVANS needs to watch.