Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can Cook keep us winning?

Fleetwood Win
31%
Ipswich Win
23%
Draw
46%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Image Fleetwood Town v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 16th March 2021 – 19:45

Highbury

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Cook Is Up And Running.......

Thankfully and at the Third time of asking Town tasted victory under Paul Cook's leadership, free flowing classy Football it may not have been but neither was it a total disappointment or disaster. Of course we all have our own ideas and views of what we want to see and how it is achieved, I think by and large we all sing off the same hymn sheet where that is concerned, I do however think there are times when patience is important and it has to be accepted that when a new Manager comes in Three games is not a yardstick with which to measure anything, whether that be results, performances or entertainment value.

The win was a vital One when looking at our aspirations for the season, back in the top Six as we enter the home run is a good place to be and as has been mentioned numerous times the team who slips into the Sixth spot invariably do well in the end of season lottery that is the play offs, they seem to have the momentum where as those above them feel a sense of hardship and disappointment so if we can hang on in there we could yet see this campaign end in a positive way.

The first half was pretty much One way traffic with Town very much on top, especially the opening twenty Five minutes where quite honestly the game should have been put to bed such was Town's dominance and the ineptitude of Plymouth's game to that point. If we do have One big flaw in our game that needs to be addressed quickly it is that we fail to kill off games when on top and don't score enough goals, Cook is well aware of it and has mentioned it several times already. On the flip side of that is how well we are defending at times and while we rode our luck Two or Three times against Plymouth we still did enough to keep them out, this is a team that has been scoring a lot of goals, just ask Lincoln who shipped Four against them recently, when One player was struggling or out of position another stepped up and covered for him and that is the way it should be, at least Three times Myles Kenlock bailed out James Wilson and while Kenlock didn't have his best game in recent weeks it was invaluable contributions from him.

I must admit I didn't think we really missed James Norwood all that much, we sure as hell didn't give up so many avoidable free kicks or offsides when on the attack, while Kayden Jackson is not totally at home as the lone Striker I felt we looked quite dangerous when on the break and he was involved in Two or Three key moments, watching the highlights back it was Jackson that hustled the defender into gifting Troy Parrott the ball from which he scored, little things go unnoticed but that was as good as an assist for me.

The win takes our run to just Two defeats in the last Eleven games with Five wins and Four Draws to our name, that is play off form in anyone's book, irrespective of how it is achieved, results speak louder that performance right now. We now have a tricky little run of Three successive away games, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic to come but first it's the long haul up to Fleetwood to take on a team who are so hard to read at times but currently their form is good with no defeats in the last Five outings, included in that run is an impressive away win at Lincoln so on their day they can produce good results. For me avoiding defeat in the next Two at Fleetwood and Portsmouth would be more than acceptable, anything else would be a massive bonus and would set us up nicely for what looks like a favourable run through April & May. We will again be without James Norwood as he will be attending a court appearance so it is up to Jackson & Parrott again to take the game to Fleetwood and with Flynn Downes also missing this could be One tough evening which is why I would accept the draw and that is my prediction. Low scoring affair with a point coming back to Suffolk. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Fleetwood Town

The current club was officially established in 1997 but, in two previous incarnations, the club's history dates back to 1908. The original club, Fleetwood F.C., were champions of the Lancashire Combination in 1923–24, and registered a hat-trick of Lancashire Combination Cup wins in 1932, 1933 and 1934. The side's goalkeeper in the first of those victories was Frank Swift, then only eighteen years old. After almost sixty years as a Lancashire Combination club, they were made founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968. The club finished in 10th place in its first season. As the NPL was one of several leagues immediately below Division Four of the Football League, this was effectively the fifth tier of English football, and the club would not surpass this success until 2010–11. Despite winning the Northern Premier League Cup in 1971, the club languished in the lower half of the table, finishing bottom for two successive seasons (1974–75 and 1975–76) and folded in 1976 because of financial difficulties. Its great players include the late Percy Ronson, after whom one stand is named.

The club was re-established in 1977 as Fleetwood Town F.C., with many of the original personnel. Initially placed in Division One of the Cheshire League, it was moved in 1982 to the North West Counties League Division Two in its inaugural year, and promoted to Division One in 1984. The team reached the final of the FA Vase in 1985, losing 3–1 to Halesowen Town in front of a 16,000 crowd at Wembley. The club was placed in Division One (second tier) of the Northern Premier League when the league established a second tier in 1987, becoming the inaugural Division One Champions in 1988. In 1990–91 the club finished fourth in the NPL Premier Division, at the time effectively the sixth tier. However, by 1996, this second club had also folded.

Re-formed in 1997 as Fleetwood Wanderers, the club was placed back in Division One of the North West Counties Football League (now the tenth tier of the English League system) and a sponsorship deal saw the club's name immediately changed to Fleetwood Freeport F.C.. The club was promoted to the Premier Division of the North West Counties League in 1999 and renamed Fleetwood Town F.C. in 2002. Tony Greenwood was appointed manager in 2003; soon afterward, Andy Pilley took over as chairman. Successive promotions, as North West Counties League champions in 2005 and Northern Premier League First Division runners-up in 2006, saw the club reach the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Fleetwood Town won the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup in the 2006–07 season, beating Matlock Town 1–0, and finished the season in eighth place with 67 points.

In the 2007–08 season Fleetwood won the Northern Premier League, gaining promotion to the Conference North. Along the way they set a new attendance record for the division, and were easily the best-supported team in the Premier Division.

Fleetwood started the 2008–09 Conference North season poorly; with the club at the bottom of the league, manager Tony Greenwood, along with his assistant, Nigel Greenwood and coach Andy Whittaker, were sacked. Greenwood was replaced by Micky Mellon. His position at Fleetwood was made full-time in January 2009, a first for the club.

The demise of Farsley Celtic partway through the 2009–10 was detrimental to Fleetwood's campaign, as Farsley's entire 2009–10 playing record was expunged. Fleetwood were chasing promotion along with near neighbours Southport, and the ruling cost Fleetwood three points relative to Southport. Fleetwood appealed against the decision but the appeal was rejected the day before the last match of the season, leaving Southport one point ahead. Both teams won on the final day, giving Southport the championship. Fleetwood instead had to contest the play-offs, and after beating Droylsden on penalties in the semi-final Fleetwood won promotion to the Football Conference by beating Alfreton Town 2–1 in the final.

For the 2010–11 season the club made all of its players full-time professionals, though this resulted in a few players leaving the club, including club captain Jamie Milligan. The club spent most of the season in or near the play-off positions, eventually qualifying by finishing in fifth place. In the play-off semi-finals, against Wimbledon, a new attendance record of 4,112 was set in the home leg, but Fleetwood lost both games with an 8–1 aggregate scoreline.

Fleetwood's 2011–12 season was very successful, Fleetwood went on a 29-game unbeaten run, and were declared champions with two games remaining, giving them promotion to the Football League for the first time. At the end of the season Vardy moved to Leicester City for a fee of £1m, which subsequently rose to £1.7m—a record transfer fee for a non-league club.

Fleetwood had a good start to the 2012–13 season, and had risen to third in the league after 10 games. However, they only won two of the next 10 games, slipping to sixth position; chairman Andy Pilley and manager Micky Mellon fell out, after Mellon allegedly applied for the Burnley and Blackpool managerial vacancies. On 1 December 2012, following a 3–2 defeat against Aldershot in the FA Cup, Mellon was sacked as manager of the League Two side. Graham Alexander was appointed manager on 6 December 2012. Fleetwood were unbeaten for the next five games, and after a steady run of results had risen back to fourth place after 11 games. However, Fleetwood only won two of the remaining 15 games, and consequently slipped down the table to finish 13th in League Two; this resulted in a large rebuilding of the squad.

The 2013–14 season was another successful one. Having been in and around the automatic promotion places all season and getting to the League Trophy area final, the club narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, finishing in fourth place. After beating York City in the play-off semi-final, Fleetwood beat Burton Albion 1–0 from an Antoni Sarcevic free-kick in the play-off final at Wembley on 26 May to win promotion to League One for the first time.

Playing at the club's highest level, the 2014–15 season was very successful. After three games the team was top of the league for two games, and apart from a couple of games remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in a very creditable 10th place. Also in 2014, the club purchased a 57-bedroom hotel in Blackpool for the youth team; the following year, the club started to move into its new training ground in Thornton.

2015–16 was a difficult season. In July 2015, chairman Andy Pilley announced that the club's strategic direction would move more towards a self-sustaining model utilizing the development and sell-on of home-grown talent, rather than buying in players to attempt to climb the league pyramid further. The playing budget was trimmed heavily.

After a poor start to the season with only two wins in 10 league matches, Graham Alexander was sacked on 30 September 2015, with the club one point above the relegation zone. On 6 October 2015 Steven Pressley was appointed manager. After a season flirting with the relegation zone, Pressley guided the club to safety, five points above the relegation zone, with 10 wins in 35 league matches and an appearance in the league trophy northern area final. On 20 April 2016, Sir Alex Ferguson officially opened the club's £8m Poolfoot farm training ground complex with 18 pitches including a floodlit 4G artificial pitch, gym, cafe, bar, offices, etc.

Just before the start of the 2016–17 season, on 26 July 2016, Steven Pressley resigned from his position as manager. Uwe Rösler was appointed manager on 30 July 2016 who guided the club to its highest ever finish in 4th place but was narrowly beaten 1–0 by Bradford City in the play off semi-final.

However in the 2017–18 season Uwe Rosler was sacked on 17 February 2018 after seven straight defeats in all competitions with the club just outside the relegation zone by goal difference. On 22 February 2018 John Sheridan was appointed manager on a short term contract until the end of the season who successfully guided the club away from relegation and finished mid table in 14th place.

At the beginning of 2018–19 season Joey Barton was appointed manager on 2 June 2018 who guided the club to a 11th place with victories over local rivals Blackpool and giants Sunderland.

The 2019-20 season was unusual in two ways. First, the global coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) caused an early end to the regular season in March 2020. Second, the expulsion of Bury F.C. in August 2019 from the English Football League (EFL) for financial reasons meant the season started with only 23 clubs. Teams that were in promotion playoff positions when regular matches were abandoned went on to play the playoff matches in July 2020. Fleetwood Town were in 6th position and in a positive run, being unbeaten since losing to Burton Albion on the 7th January. However, they lost to Wycombe Wanderers 6-3 on aggregate in semi-final matches played in empty stadiums.

On 31 January 2021, Grayson was appointed manager of Fleetwood Town, following the departure of previous manager Joey Barton.

The Manager – Simon Grayson

Form Guide

Fleetwood Town Last 5 Matches – Currently in 14th place with 47 points

27 Feb Fleetwood 1 - 1 Accrington

2 Mar Lincoln City 1 - 2 Fleetwood

6 Mar Shrewsbury 0 - 2 Fleetwood

9 Mar Fleetwood 1 - 0 Gillingham

13 Mar Blackpool 0 - 0 Fleetwood

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 6th place with 54 points

27 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Doncaster

02 Mar Accrington 1-2 Ipswich Town

06 Mar Gillingham 3-1 Ipswich Town

09 Mar Ipswich Town 1-1 Lincoln City

13 Mar Ipswich Town 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

Match Referee – Gavin Ward

FLEETWOOD TOWN 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

hallamblue

Re: Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:28 pm

I’m going for a very hard fought draw . No Norwood, no striker with any presence in the team . Do lots of huff n puff ... suspect any goal we do score will be from a defender from a set piece .

COYBs

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:43 pm

I think this the gsme where we'll start to see the impact of Cook's influence coming to bear. A draw would be a good result but I think we'll sneak a 1-0 win. Believe.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:30 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:43 pm
I think this the gsme where we'll start to see the impact of Cook's influence coming to bear. A draw would be a good result but I think we'll sneak a 1-0 win. Believe.
Lovely positive viewpoint. Looking at Fleetwood's recent results they are not particularly high scoring, so while I think a no score draw might be the order of the day, a slowly increasing PC influence on the playing style could see us sneak the game's only goal.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:56 am

Nice preview and nice opening first paragraph. Certainly made me reign my thoughts in a bit. Three games isn’t a yardstick by any means. And I think with you alluding to “patience” being key..... you’ve knocked it on the head as to arguably the main reason to many peoples dissatisfaction. Impatience. I’m guilty of it. Whether it’s ipswich Town or Hibernian...... I’m like, “FFS, COME ON!! PULL YOUR FINGERS OUT!!” And it’s impatience.
A close second to impatience is ——->> League One! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Faith in Paul Cook though and some of John Deere’s belief system...... that’s about it really. 🤷‍♂️

Is this the illuminati game? Do Ipswich go to Fleetwood if they can find it on the satnav and win 3-0? Pretty Polly with the brace, Balls?
Hopefully it’s a win and hopefully able to watch, work may prevent that. But COME ON, COOKIE! ..... convincing performance and 3pts please.

Edited...... had a pm complaint within ten minutes of my original post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don’t joke about the war. Apologies to Simon Grayson fans. 🤦‍♂️

Ref caption:
Where’s the original post?
Edited it, pal. Added more cotton wool to the forum instead.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am

Can’t see us making much changes - except for Downes. I expect Skuse to come in for Downes. I have no problem with that as I’m not sold on Bishop and Dozzell starting together in front of the back four. It will be interesting to see if Skuse plays any different under Cook - maybe he’ll do his normal protecting the back four, but also be encouraged to step a few paces forward and spot the odd forward pass. I think if Skuse was that little bit more positive in his approach he’d be appreciated a lot more.
Just too much unnecessary slowing down the game for me in the past, when we should be more on the front foot - and I do think he’s a far better technical player than people give him credit for.

I think Jackson did OK up front. He’s not a natural lone striker, but Parrott adding support was a help. For us to win , we’ll have to take our chances and keep it tight at the back. I’m going for a win, but probably a draw would be a decent result. As said before, it’s about the points. If it’s an ugly, gritty win then I’ll take that - especially if can keep the energy and pressing going a bit longer

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am

Whilst I agree about Skuse 100% , I’m not sure at his stage of career he’s likely to be able to change the way he plays - he might be up for and able, . Maybe just start looking for that forward pass more and execute it an hour quicker and we’d have our new holding MF 👍.

I’d love scrappy 1-0 wins between now and end of season in every game ... I’d take that definitely !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am
Whilst I agree about Skuse 100% , I’m not sure at his stage of career he’s likely to be able to change the way he plays - he might be up for and able, . Maybe just start looking for that forward pass more and execute it an hour quicker and we’d have our new holding MF 👍.

I’d love scrappy 1-0 wins between now and end of season in every game ... I’d take that definitely !
I’m not saying we’ll see him bounding from penalty box to penalty box - but might see him offer something a tad less crab-like under Cook.

On the other hand, if we can scrape a lead and he’s adding some defensive clout to hang onto the win .. he’ll be pretty useful.

Downes is a big miss, however, and if he’s only out for a few games then that will be a boost. Can’t help feel he’ll be out for the season.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Thought Skuse had a good game against Plym. Some good tackles and passing. Seemed to steady us significantly. Expect him to to stay deep pushing Dozz forward (hopefully). However Wilson likes to step forward and has done it well on occasion so hope they don't crowd each others space too much.
Didn't realise it was Jackson that hassled lewis for the errant pass to Parrot. Thanks for that Mike!
Going for a win for Fleetwood as most times I vote for the Blues they lose. COYB

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm

I think the manager will 'cook' up something special for this one. :lol: Sorry, I had to do it.

Regarding Skuse, I'll be surprised if he plays a full 90 as he's still regaining match fitness. With Downes out, I'm not sure who would replace him if need be. I'm a bit concerned about our light weight midfield, especially without Downes or Skuse. I wonder if Matheson could play that role?

We had numerous chances again against Plymouth. Maybe not as many scoring chances as we'd like, but surely at some point they will start going in.

On paper this looks very much like a low scoring draw.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm
I think the manager will 'cook' up something special for this one. :lol: Sorry, I had to do it.

Regarding Skuse, I'll be surprised if he plays a full 90 as he's still regaining match fitness. With Downes out, I'm not sure who would replace him if need be. I'm a bit concerned about our light weight midfield, especially without Downes or Skuse. I wonder if Matheson could play that role?

We had numerous chances again against Plymouth. Maybe not as many scoring chances as we'd like, but surely at some point they will start going in.

Come on, be honest. How long did you 'stew' on whether or not to post your opening sentence. :D :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Come on, be honest. How long did you 'stew' on whether or not to post your opening sentence. :D :D
I figured I'd get 'grilled' if I did! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 pm

Where the f*ck is Fleetwood anyway, just as well you can't travel to games wouldn't know where the hell to venture to. Keep it short by saying only every fixture from here on is just about paramount. With the opposition remaining and any takeover issue seemingly put to rest for time being you would expect the players to focus and grab the opportunity available. Lambert left a mess and was essential we got rid, can only hope the win over Plymouth was a catalyst for both Cook and the team to build on. It's ours to lose now. A 2 - 1 ITFC victory.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:59 am

Hard fought draw

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:28 am

Skuse might just be that calming influence we need to see us through to the end of the season.

I think we will nick it this evening.

Fleerwood 0 ITFC 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:35 pm

Don’t think there is anything worth nicking in Fleetwood, Barmy.

Oh, you mean the result? Yes.

Like to say though......, I’m one of the 6 draw predictors up there in the poll.
4 Fleetwood wins?

Negative BSTDS!!!

Joking. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 pm

My son earlier during Nicola Sturgeons speech.....

“Cut to the chase, Nicky...... when’s Easter Road opening?” :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:48 pm

Edwards , Skuse, Jackson all in side from start replacing Bennett’s, Downes and Norwood. The rest are unchanged

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:48 pm

Team news Skuse starts COYB. Just the one change.
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 pm
My son earlier during Nicola Sturgeons speech.....

“Cut to the chase, Nicky...... when’s Easter Road opening?” :lol:
Ha ha .... love it 👍

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 pm

Skuse AND Judge in the same team, wow how negative. Not confident about our chances tonight at all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Pitch looks shocking

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 pm
Pitch looks shocking
Football on a paddy field!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Hopefully Doncaster carry on helping the Ipswich Town Play-Off quest in grand fashion.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Not a bad starting 11, be interested to see how skuse does. Hopefully allows dozzell to get forward a little more

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Oh dear how soft

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

f**king captain pug wash

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Centre backs too static yet again