Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

What's our response to the Fleetwood performance?

Pompey Win
9
56%
Town Win
3
19%
Draw
4
25%
 
Total votes: 16

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:48 pm

Did Cook deploy a lone striker for this. Would have played two or three up front and gone for the win. Maybe wrong but seems a lack of attacking intent was put out there. If we lose we lose no sense in getting upset over it, time for analysis is when game is over but why do we make things so hard for ourselves. Some say we played well out there at least you got the privilege to view action.

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:49 pm

I think our midfielders legs have gone now .... and as for Holys kicking .... bloody hell!!!

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:49 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:42 pm
A draw would feel like a win for me now, the lads deserve nothing less, and undiniably more

I can’t see them letting us back in this one, all we can hope is they sit back and defend and we get a lucky break but our record isn’t great scoring late goals, only 8 in the last 15 mins all season.

CookieMonster
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:48 pm
For me the ball was out for their second and if so its a right kick in the nuts
It was out of play for sure - I've just played it back in slow motion via Sky Sports and it's gone out of play for sure.

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:52 pm

That’s the second ball clearly over the line for our throw in not called .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23419
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Knew it, robbed really, some smart arse will say but you make your own luck

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm

We’re totally knackered out there now ...

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm

I don’t think we’ve had a shot on goal since they scored. ☹️

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm

How typical of Town . Game we needed to win and do anything but lose and we f**king LOSE! We had probably 80% of that game today . Can’t score more than one goal in a game .

f**king useless the lot of em

ipswichtownNo1
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Well , listen to cook after that game, I'd be very surprised if he says we needed more in that game. Fully expect him to show some praise for the team.

JOHN DEERE
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm

Disappointing result. We deserved something from that game. I still believe we'll make the playoffs.

Even though we look very brittle right now, I feel we will only get better the longer Cook has time to mould the team. If we make the playoffs anything is possible.

If we don't, I think next season will see us gain automatic promotion.

ipswichtownNo1
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm
Knew it, robbed really, some smart arse will say but you make your own luck
I agree Mike, the only time they looked better than us was after the second goal went in. Town deserved more, but hey, thats football. For once I'm not going to be down tonight after a loss. If we play like that from now on, we are nailed on for a playoff place. And I can see us only getting better. These players are finally showing glimpses of what they can do as a team, after lambert sucked it out of them with the playing out from the back sh*te.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm
How typical of Town . Game we needed to win and do anything but lose and we f**king LOSE! We had probably 80% of that game today . Can’t score more than one goal in a game .

f**king useless the lot of em
That's the thing isn't it, so often when there's a high profile game we can't hold our nerve and mess up a result. Haven't seen the game, I'd enquire questions but tired of certain sh*t. Bottom line we had a lead and they took it from us and won the game.

Not to p*ss on the new manager but this is far from the start he could have expected. People can shout down to their heart's content but it's like three losses from four or five games for Cook now. This is a results business first and foremost. Maybe we did play well today, maybe we got f*cked over in terms of a score however it's a defeat and they couldn't hold on to the lead we had. The top six always seems there for the taking but so many missed opportunities will have killed off the team by end of season.

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:08 pm

Silk purse out of a sows ear , Pub level squad....promotion? Not a hope in hell can Paul Cook achieve that with this complete shower of shyte.

Clear the f**king lot if them out and start again.

It’s ISNT going to happen this season with this ( LAMBERTS) squad.

A Bunch of f**king losers the lot of them.....

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:12 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm
Knew it, robbed really, some smart arse will say but you make your own luck
I agree Mike, the only time they looked better than us was after the second goal went in. Town deserved more, but hey, thats football. For once I'm not going to be down tonight after a loss. If we play like that from now on, we are nailed on for a playoff place. And I can see us only getting better. These players are finally showing glimpses of what they can do as a team, after lambert sucked it out of them with the playing out from the back sh*te.

However good we look No1 we have a problem until we score more goals. For a team to make a successful challenge for a play off place we need to be regularly scoring two or more goals in a game, especially against a side like Portsmouth in the midst of their own poor run of results. I think results will come but not until we get more clinical in front of goal. We also need our share of good fortune and clearly that wasn’t on our side either today especially in the lead up to their second the ball went out of play.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Well we huffed and puffed in the first half closing down and hurrying the opposition. Poor defending lost the match for us, even though the ball was clearly out of play before their second goal. I'll have to take another look, but for me I think both goals could have been prevented if Holy commanded the box. I know Chambers was also at fault on the first goal, but your keeper needs to boss the crosses and win the ball with his hands. Likewise, their pin-ball second goal may have been prevented if Holy stopped the cross on the ground. Also, Holy doesn't look very confident at all when kicking.

Norwood took our goal very well, and Edward's pass was perfect. How many times have we heard from our coaches, "Play the ball to space"? I'd like to see more of that, especially from the midfield. We were a bit impatient at times, passing the ball into congested areas when a switch of play may have been better. Dobra was the only one I remember switching play late in the second half, but it was a bit too strong for KVY to handle. Dobra really needs a run of games, he's far better than Bennetts. Dobra's composure on the ball will only get better.

Just a final note for all those giving Norwood a hard time, I think he was the hardest working player on the pitch!

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:13 pm
Well we huffed and puffed in the first half closing down and hurrying the opposition. Poor defending lost the match for us, even though the ball was clearly out of play before their second goal. I'll have to take another look, but for me I think both goals could have been prevented if Holy commanded the box. I know Chambers was also at fault on the first goal, but your keeper needs to boss the crosses and win the ball with his hands. Likewise, their pin-ball second goal may have been prevented if Holy stopped the cross on the ground. Also, Holy doesn't look very confident at all when kicking.

Norwood took our goal very well, and Edward's pass was perfect. How many times have we heard from our coaches, "Play the ball to space"? I'd like to see more of that, especially from the midfield. We were a bit impatient at times, passing the ball into congested areas when a switch of play may have been better. Dobra was the only one I remember switching play late in the second half, but it was a bit too strong for KVY to handle. Dobra really needs a run of games, he's far better than Bennetts. Dobra's composure on the ball will only get better.

Just a final note for all those giving Norwood a hard time, I think he was the hardest working player on the pitch!
For a 6’9” goal keeper Tomas Holy is shocking at defending crosses into his box. He really should be winning almost every ball anywhere close to him.

ipswichtownNo1
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:08 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm
How typical of Town . Game we needed to win and do anything but lose and we f**king LOSE! We had probably 80% of that game today . Can’t score more than one goal in a game .

f**king useless the lot of em
That's the thing isn't it, so often when there's a high profile game we can't hold our nerve and mess up a result. Haven't seen the game, I'd enquire questions but tired of certain sh*t. Bottom line we had a lead and they took it from us and won the game.

Not to p*ss on the new manager but this is far from the start he could have expected. People can shout down to their heart's content but it's like three losses from four or five games for Cook now. This is a results business first and foremost. Maybe we did play well today, maybe we got f*cked over in terms of a score however it's a defeat and they couldn't hold on to the lead we had. The top six always seems there for the taking but so many missed opportunities will have killed off the team by end of season.
So whats your point, your first three sentences contradict each other, not to p*ss on new manager, its a results business.....Cooks got to work with the team he has inherited . Yes, he has not won again today, but what he has done in his 18 days ( 18 DAYS!) Is start to make ipswich play as a team. Town looked so much better today, work rate up, pressing and solid, Portsmouth never looked in it first half until the goal. Its not going to change overnight. I know town will make the playoffs after that performance, shame people who always " just catch the result" or " can't watch the match" still insist on slagging off a very positive performance. The likes we have not seen since I don't know when

ipswichtownNo1
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:12 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pm
Knew it, robbed really, some smart arse will say but you make your own luck
I agree Mike, the only time they looked better than us was after the second goal went in. Town deserved more, but hey, thats football. For once I'm not going to be down tonight after a loss. If we play like that from now on, we are nailed on for a playoff place. And I can see us only getting better. These players are finally showing glimpses of what they can do as a team, after lambert sucked it out of them with the playing out from the back sh*te.

However good we look No1 we have a problem until we score more goals. For a team to make a successful challenge for a play off place we need to be regularly scoring two or more goals in a game, especially against a side like Portsmouth in the midst of their own poor run of results. I think results will come but not until we get more clinical in front of goal. We also need our share of good fortune and clearly that wasn’t on our side either today especially in the lead up to their second the ball went out of play.
Totally agree , even said this myself in an earlier post, but its coming, cooks making a difference

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23419
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:34 pm

I agree ITNO1, if anyone expects massive change after 18 days they are gonna be very disappointed, yes we lost but I thought we did ok today, bossed the opening hour for sure, we do need to create/score more but Cook has what he has at his disposal, it takes time. I looked at April/May and thought we'd have a great chance of play offs and that was without anything at Fleetwood or Portsmouth so as disappointed as I am, nothings changed.

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:13 pm
Well we huffed and puffed in the first half closing down and hurrying the opposition. Poor defending lost the match for us, even though the ball was clearly out of play before their second goal. I'll have to take another look, but for me I think both goals could have been prevented if Holy commanded the box. I know Chambers was also at fault on the first goal, but your keeper needs to boss the crosses and win the ball with his hands. Likewise, their pin-ball second goal may have been prevented if Holy stopped the cross on the ground. Also, Holy doesn't look very confident at all when kicking.

Norwood took our goal very well, and Edward's pass was perfect. How many times have we heard from our coaches, "Play the ball to space"? I'd like to see more of that, especially from the midfield. We were a bit impatient at times, passing the ball into congested areas when a switch of play may have been better. Dobra was the only one I remember switching play late in the second half, but it was a bit too strong for KVY to handle. Dobra really needs a run of games, he's far better than Bennetts. Dobra's composure on the ball will only get better.

Just a final note for all those giving Norwood a hard time, I think he was the hardest working player on the pitch!
For a 6’9” goal keeper Tomas Holy is shocking at defending crosses into his box. He really should be winning almost every ball anywhere close to him.
He’s a typical very tall player / NONE of them jump .

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:13 pm
Well we huffed and puffed in the first half closing down and hurrying the opposition. Poor defending lost the match for us, even though the ball was clearly out of play before their second goal. I'll have to take another look, but for me I think both goals could have been prevented if Holy commanded the box. I know Chambers was also at fault on the first goal, but your keeper needs to boss the crosses and win the ball with his hands. Likewise, their pin-ball second goal may have been prevented if Holy stopped the cross on the ground. Also, Holy doesn't look very confident at all when kicking.

Norwood took our goal very well, and Edward's pass was perfect. How many times have we heard from our coaches, "Play the ball to space"? I'd like to see more of that, especially from the midfield. We were a bit impatient at times, passing the ball into congested areas when a switch of play may have been better. Dobra was the only one I remember switching play late in the second half, but it was a bit too strong for KVY to handle. Dobra really needs a run of games, he's far better than Bennetts. Dobra's composure on the ball will only get better.

Just a final note for all those giving Norwood a hard time, I think he was the hardest working player on the pitch!
For a 6’9” goal keeper Tomas Holy is shocking at defending crosses into his box. He really should be winning almost every ball anywhere close to him.
He’s a typical very tall player / NONE of them jump .

At that height he should hardly need to, by the time he’s stretched his arms out he’ll be near to 8 feet tall. As you know I’ve always held out for him to be our No1 keeper but I’m having some doubts, maybe I’ve got it wrong.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19389
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm
NONE of them jump .
Holy jumps......... rrrrrright on my tits.

hallamblue
Posts: 25960
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Yes I’ve started to question him recently . I find that his rarely on his toes , always feet firmly planted , weight back on his heels . He hasn’t a chance of reacting in time I feel, which is often why he appears “ rooted to the spot” when shots come in.


I’ve calmed down a bit now (sorry guys I was so angry with our capitulation yet again).

My feelings about this squad have definitely changed over this season. I used to believe they were good enough , but not now.

I think this squad is mentally frail and has a losing / losers mentality. I don’t feel Cook will be able to change this in the 10 games remaining . If we did make the PO’s we simply don’t have the mental fortitude to win the “ must win” games in the PO’s.

You could go through this side and pick out weaknesses all over the park. We rely totally on Norwood .

Holy: Cant kick the ball, slow reactions . Doesn’t command his area.

Chambers: slow , gets caught with the ball dunked into space behind him.

Toto: generally solid but always has a mistake in him.

Wilson: generally solid. No frills. Not particularly happy on the ball .

Kenlock: good when he came back into side. Lii ok st his way recently .

Ward: slow, gets caught in possession.

Bishop: great attacking MF. Needs to post higher up pitch.

Dozzell: The great Enigma. Has undoubted skills , an eye for a pass . Has NO defensive capability, which makes him half a player got his team mates and frankly a liability. Dead ball kicks to light , loopy and airy fairy, no threat at all.

Judge: good at dead ball situations. Tendency to be selfish. Lacks positional discipline.

Norwood: natural goal scorer if given the ball to his feet and able to run at defence . Good physical presence up front . So often ineffective due to poor service , support from midfield .

Jackson : pacy. Poor 1st touch. Can only play in a two up front situation. Limited impact for the team therefore.

Edwards: typical winger. Great ic he feels he’s got the defender in his back pocket. Totally disappears if defender susses him. Tendency to give free kicks away in dangerous defending areas.

Bennett’s: lots of tricks . No end product . Often loses possession for the team.

Parrott: runs his socks off. Good foil for Norwood. Good first touch. Not ever likely to get many goals ( too busy working for the team).

KVY: nearly 2 years out . Will take rest of season to get up to anything like match fitness .

Downes: injured likely out for rest of season.




The Town squad as a whole has minimal true “ winners”
in it , is individually and collectively mentally weak when the chips are down .

IMHO it needs dismantling and rebuilding. In many way Cook is “ lucky” that 50% of the senior first team are out of contract this summer. He needs to be ruthless. I think he will be. They have as a squad , had 3 years now , and find absolutely nothing. The pattern has been the same for three seasons without fail. Start brightly , hug make hard work of what runs they do get . Then fade away from Xmas onwards . It doesn’t matter who’s manager , this squad will not change its abilities and has reached its ( low) potential.

Break it up . Start again. But that in itself brings problems .

JOHN DEERE
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:12 pm
Yes I’ve started to question him recently . I find that his rarely on his toes , always feet firmly planted , weight back on his heels . He hasn’t a chance of reacting in time I feel, which is often why he appears “ rooted to the spot” when shots come in.


I’ve calmed down a bit now (sorry guys I was so angry with our capitulation yet again).

My feelings about this squad have definitely changed over this season. I used to believe they were good enough , but not now.

I think this squad is mentally frail and has a losing / losers mentality. I don’t feel Cook will be able to change this in the 10 games remaining . If we did make the PO’s we simply don’t have the mental fortitude to win the “ must win” games in the PO’s.

You could go through this side and pick out weaknesses all over the park. We rely totally on Norwood .

Holy: Cant kick the ball, slow reactions . Doesn’t command his area.

Chambers: slow , gets caught with the ball dunked into space behind him.

Toto: generally solid but always has a mistake in him.

Wilson: generally solid. No frills. Not particularly happy on the ball .

Kenlock: good when he came back into side. Lii ok st his way recently .

Ward: slow, gets caught in possession.

Bishop: great attacking MF. Needs to post higher up pitch.

Dozzell: The great Enigma. Has undoubted skills , an eye for a pass . Has NO defensive capability, which makes him half a player got his team mates and frankly a liability. Dead ball kicks to light , loopy and airy fairy, no threat at all.

Judge: good at dead ball situations. Tendency to be selfish. Lacks positional discipline.

Norwood: natural goal scorer if given the ball to his feet and able to run at defence . Good physical presence up front . So often ineffective due to poor service , support from midfield .

Jackson : pacy. Poor 1st touch. Can only play in a two up front situation. Limited impact for the team therefore.

Edwards: typical winger. Great ic he feels he’s got the defender in his back pocket. Totally disappears if defender susses him. Tendency to give free kicks away in dangerous defending areas.

Bennett’s: lots of tricks . No end product . Often loses possession for the team.

Parrott: runs his socks off. Good foil for Norwood. Good first touch. Not ever likely to get many goals ( too busy working for the team).

KVY: nearly 2 years out . Will take rest of season to get up to anything like match fitness .

Downes: injured likely out for rest of season.




The Town squad as a whole has minimal true “ winners”
in it , is individually and collectively mentally weak when the chips are down .

IMHO it needs dismantling and rebuilding. In many way Cook is “ lucky” that 50% of the senior first team are out of contract this summer. He needs to be ruthless. I think he will be. They have as a squad , had 3 years now , and find absolutely nothing. The pattern has been the same for three seasons without fail. Start brightly , hug make hard work of what runs they do get . Then fade away from Xmas onwards . It doesn’t matter who’s manager , this squad will not change its abilities and has reached its ( low) potential.

Break it up . Start again. But that in itself brings problems .
Hard to disagree with any of that although I do think that some of them might benefit from Cook's coaching. I'm thinking of the likes of Toto, Bishop, Edwards and Judge etc.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 pm

I think we could count today’s match as a missed opportunity with none of the six teams above us this morning managing to record a win.

On the other hand none of them gained more than a point on us so we could also look on the day as not being as bad as it could have been.

Next Saturday it’s Wigan away, how strange that Paul Cook takes his Town team to his two former football clubs in the space of 7 days. Let’s hope he comes away from Wigan happier than he was leaving Fratton Park today.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13556
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:01 am

Just loved Paul Cooks post match interview today, so much more refreshing than listening to Paul lamberts drivel.

I really like this fella.👍

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:59 am

Have seen highlights from today although what is featured never tells the whole story. Took in post-game response from TWTD although have not replied as yet. I'm seeing two different versions to today, one in that we were largely efficient in one half but lost composure after the interval and reverted to variants of poor play we've seen before. I really want to give Cook a chance but he has as mentioned inherited a team that rarely plays to it's potential and is so inconsistent it's going to take substantial time for things to move in the right direction.

Norwood is a reliable player but I don't believe he has the caliber of players in that area with him to make us a competitive team. Would expect certain transfer activity later in the year as Cook attempts to get rid of the dead wood, too many players you feel are holding us back, while at the same time new additions can be brought in to accommodate key areas.

Only problem being Evans doesn't spend on the team and we make do with loan deals more often. Don't know when - or if at all - new ownership will arise but team requires money spent on it in order to properly challenge. Today was frustrating we always fall against Portsmouth, one of those teams that nearly always takes something from us. You got to try and remain upbeat amid adversities, hard as it is there would have been certain positives to take from today.

tangfastic
Posts: 3467
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 am

Have to say I was gutted when Pompey equalised. After 40 minutes we were comfortably the better side, even if we weren’t playing fantastic, slick football. We had much more energy and wouldn’t let Pompey settle. And the goal was very deserved. Great pass by Edwards and an even better run and finish by Norwood. We need Norwood in the side - he might miss a few, but at least he’s getting into positions to get chances that he can miss. Can’t say that about the rest.

And Cook was bang on about us being mentally weak. You could see that equaliser affected us and once again we let a team get back into the game and then on top. I don’t know how his honest words are being taken in the dressing room, but it’s about time a manager acknowledges we are weak mentally and get trodden on too often. Not sure how he can deal with that other than bringing more resilient players in - and offloading pretty much all of the squad. Not putting this on Chambers, but I’d want to see a new skipper next season. He might be good enough to hold a place down in the team, but we need a better leader. These types of performances have become standard where we capitulate under Chambers. It might not be his fault, but you can’t keep on having these mental fades game after game. There’s no point having a captain if they can’t motivate the team.

But at least yesterday’s performance was pretty decent for 40 minutes. I have to say I enjoyed that first half apart from their goal. Wasn’t pretty most of the time, but we were competing really well high up the pitch and played some good football in patches. And Pompey didn’t have a sniff until their goal.

Cook’s still working it out with this squad and for a manager who’s so rigid in 4-2-3-1 he hinted at playing two up top with Norwood and Jackson. Have to say even though it’s 3 defeats under Cook I’m liking the guy even more for his assessment of his team’s performances and their shortcomings.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1256
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 am
.....we are weak mentally and get trodden on too often. Not sure how he can deal with that other than bringing more resilient players in - and offloading pretty much all of the squad. Not putting this on Chambers, but I’d want to see a new skipper next season. He might be good enough to hold a place down in the team, but we need a better leader. These types of performances have become standard where we capitulate under Chambers. It might not be his fault, but you can’t keep on having these mental fades game after game. There’s no point having a captain if they can’t motivate the team.
Did not see the Pompey game, but will certainly take heart from talk of some decent passages of play.

With regards to the above, I tend to agree a new captain is required for next season. Chambers has, on the whole, had a very good season (and been an overall good servant to this club) and is a player I have always liked, so not wishing to appear as one of his knockers! However, there is an apparent weak mentality running through the core of this team, one which (to me) even seems to manifest itself amongst loan players when they have joined us. I feel that a massive clear out is the ONLY true way forward and this is where the high number of players out of contract this year plays in our favour. Hopefully enough wages will be freed up to allow PC to bring in his players, including a Captain who is both vocal and a strong leader. Players that can play to the formation PC likes.

It is essential to have a strong core, there are players here already who fit that bill, as well as others who will benefit from having (hopefully) more able players around them. On the latter I am thinking of the likes of Dozzell, who if he could be allowed to play further forward and use those passing qualities to players on the same wavelength, without constantly having to worry about his weak defensive abilities, then I still believe there is a big talent there.

The close season I feel is going to be a very interesting one, one which will be full of activity and be the perfect ingredient to keep this wonderful forum ticking over nicely.

Post Reply