Players to keep, players to offload?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Players to keep, players to offload?

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:19 am

There must be a few players who’ve known for a while they don’t have a future here. Huws being the obvious one who can’t get anywhere near our squad.

Sears must be the latest. Comes on as a sub in Cooks first game - two misplaced passes resulting in two goals .... and bombed out of the squad. Ward is still playing, but I don’t see how he at 35 can improve us next year - I’d imagine he’s a no-brainer to go.
For the same reason, I’d let Skuse go. We need an energetic defensive midfielder who can add a bit of steel and that’s not his game. At 35, he’s not going to get better and fitter. I think we’ve got to get away from keeping players as back up. We need a smaller squad of players who are all striving to get into the team and improve us - not players who are content to be back-ups and sit on a contract.

Jackson’s an odd one for me. He’s not a bad player, can score and has serious pace, but he’s no good on his own up front. No long ball will stick with him. We’d have to change formation to suit him. I’ve no idea why we kept him last summer when we had offers for him. I can see him moving on.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am

There's an old saying: you have to empty the whole barrel of good apples to remove the rotten ones, and this is what Paul Cook is doing, you cannot have a squad of 50 plus players, its noneconomical, confusing, and practically impossible to get cohesion of a winning 1st team squad.

So this is why we will see Paul Cook have a mass clear out of at least 30 players end of season, to bring the playing squad down to a sensible manageable level, he has to, then rebuild a squad of 17 plus the occasional under 23's coming through.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Can I just say....... and shoot me down if so inclined...... but one of the FIRST things Paul Lambert uttered on entering the building was about the size of Micks / Hursts squad.
“It’s just too big.”

So 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ For WHATEVER reason, it wasn’t trimmed and I reckon that’s got a lot to do with finances & Mevans than managers.

And so again, 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, hopefully Paul Cook has more of an influence on Marcus Evans.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 pm

I pity whoever the manager is in 2050 cus if this trend continues we'll have 8000 f**king players, and all of them useless.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm
Can I just say....... and shoot me down if so inclined...... but one of the FIRST things Paul Lambert uttered on entering the building was about the size of Micks / Hursts squad.
“It’s just too big.”

So 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ For WHATEVER reason, it wasn’t trimmed and I reckon that’s got a lot to do with finances & Mevans than managers.

And so again, 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, hopefully Paul Cook has more of an influence on Marcus Evans.
I’m pretty sure Lambert did say the squad is too big, but he also said we needed a big squad to play 60 games because of all the cup competitions (which we got knocked out of).

There’s probably a few reasons it got so big. Too many of the players were not good enough that we could move them on. And they were happy enough to sit on their contracts. Many were injured or injury-prone. Who’d want them, too? And Lambert couldn’t get enough out of his crop of players, so we had to bring in more bang average players to add to the current lot that we’d also be stuck with.

It just stinks of no-one really having a clear plan ahead. As Evans was paying for this squad, he should have insisted we trimmed the squad. Or maybe it shows that he should have dipped his hands further into his pockets and bought fewer more expensive, better quality players instead of loads of cheap dross (who still cost a lot on the wage bill).

Lambert had five transfer windows and didn’t really look if he was getting anywhere at that stage.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Yep, agreed Tang.

To be clear, I’m not making any excuses at all for Lambert. The man got on my tits way before he got on anyone else’s tits on this forum, maybe Charnwood being an exception. Can’t remember him saying the squad needed to be that big but fair enough, (must've missed that) ........ but my MAIN point was Ash saying what Cook needs to do....... (I agree with Ash) but it seems complications with cash and these f**king modern day contracts may be a thorn in the side to ANY manager.

I’d love to hear George Burley’s take on Ipswich Towns ownership and how things work.
When he was at Hearts (the team that were beaten by Brora this week) ..... he started 10 wins out of 10 ——>>> then QUIT.
Due to Romanov etc etc and his influence on things. I know Mevans isn’t interfering in any way like Romanov did but I do wonder if its only certain types that can work under certain conditions.
Mick McCarthy lasted longest because he seems an “anything for an easy life” type.

But......., please don’t see any of this as defending Lambert. Was a Mevans post.
Lambert is an a$$HOLIO!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm

From what Cook was saying, it doesn’t sound as if he was enamoured with the players in training this week. He made comments that the players weren’t up to doing extra sessions in our week off.

“the players probably weren’t strong enough to train again the second day like they did the first day, and that was really, really disappointing.

“There’s nothing you can do about that, there’s nothing I can do, so we had to have a bit more of a down day yesterday. So, as you can imagine, we’re going to go for it again today (Wednesday).”

And there’s been more rumours - albeit TWTD rumours- that he was pissed off with the players and sent them home early on Wednesday.

If there’s any truth to this - doesn’t look like the players are busting a gut to win contracts.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:05 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am
There's an old saying: you have to empty the whole barrel of good apples to remove the rotten ones, and this is what Paul Cook is doing, you cannot have a squad of 50 plus players, its noneconomical, confusing, and practically impossible to get cohesion of a winning 1st team squad.

So this is why we will see Paul Cook have a mass clear out of at least 30 players end of season, to bring the playing squad down to a sensible manageable level, he has to, then rebuild a squad of 17 plus the occasional under 23's coming through.
I hope you're right, Ash. While I do think there will be a significant clear out, I still don't believe it will be a mass clear out like many have stated. I think Cook will spend the rest of the season identifying the 'bad apples', but I also think he'll keep a fair few of the starting 11 around. I'm not sure Evan's will support a mass clear out after the Hurst debacle, even though Tang disagrees. Of course, I won't mind a bit if he does get rid of the lot. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm
From what Cook was saying, it doesn’t sound as if he was enamoured with the players in training this week. He made comments that the players weren’t up to doing extra sessions in our week off.

“the players probably weren’t strong enough to train again the second day like they did the first day, and that was really, really disappointing.

“There’s nothing you can do about that, there’s nothing I can do, so we had to have a bit more of a down day yesterday. So, as you can imagine, we’re going to go for it again today (Wednesday).”

And there’s been more rumours - albeit TWTD rumours- that he was pissed off with the players and sent them home early on Wednesday.

If there’s any truth to this - doesn’t look like the players are busting a gut to win contracts.
In some ways I really hope it is true cus it will tell Cook everything he needs to know, if he doesn't already, that these goons are lacking in most areas and the sensible thing is a mass cull and get rid asap.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 pm

That is very interesting. Is there any footage of him saying the part you've highlighted, Tang?

The reason I ask is two reasons,
1) I can support Paul in his pissed-off-ness.

and 2) ifollow can go fk themselves for tomorrows game v Wigan. If the players don't give a fk, neither do I.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Watch Forfar instead

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 pm
That is very interesting. Is there any footage of him saying the part you've highlighted, Tang?

and 2) ifollow can go fk themselves for tomorrows game v Wigan. If the players don't give a fk, neither do I.
It was in an interview in the EADT.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ng-7850300

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:55 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm
marko69 wrote:

That interview says a lot in my book.

Cook is no mug & I think there will be a fair few ex Ipswich players joining the dole queue come the end of the season. Only themselves to blame I'm afraid. Clueless idiots.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 pm
Watch Forfar instead
Mike, hand on heart, if that was possible, would definitely do that. There is always "something" going on in those games and vs Falkirk will be decent.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:30 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:55 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm
marko69 wrote:

That interview says a lot in my book.

Cook is no mug & I think there will be a fair few ex Ipswich players joining the dole queue come the end of the season. Only themselves to blame I'm afraid. Clueless idiots.
Agreed.

When he says he doesn't want his players to hear negative comments after games ----->> he's essentially doing the same here regarding these sessions. He really WANTS to say, "fkn unfit, overpaid, freeloadin' bstds"....., but he can't.

Hopefully the charlatans can get the win for him tomorrow.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Watch Forfar instead
Mike, hand on heart, if that was possible, would definitely do that. There is always "something" going on in those games and vs Falkirk will be decent.
You can watch it on the Forfar FB page, £12

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm

In some ways I really hope it is true cus it will tell Cook everything he needs to know, if he doesn't already, that these goons are lacking in most areas and the sensible thing is a mass cull and get rid asap.
I think Paul Cook knows exactly what a shower of S he’s inherited, and I don’t too many will survive the summer cull , and those that do I expect to be gone by the following season , mainly coz it’s not easy offloading so many players all at once .

Interesting for weeks/ months ahead I think !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 pm
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Watch Forfar instead
I remember watching Rangers stuff Falkirk 4-0 at Inbrox back in the late 1980’s.... couple of fells day behind us - kept offering us .... “ do yooos wanna drank” as he handed me and my friend a LARGE bottle of Whiskey 👍... we declined purely cuz there was t much left in his bottle anyway lol ! Bumped into a very young Ally Mc Coist outside the ground after the game too . But we’d actually gone to watch Terry Butcher after his transfer to Rangers . He looked a solid defender for them .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:05 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am

I hope you're right, Ash. While I do think there will be a significant clear out, I still don't believe it will be a mass clear out like many have stated. I think Cook will spend the rest of the season identifying the 'bad apples', but I also think he'll keep a fair few of the starting 11 around. I'm not sure Evan's will support a mass clear out after the Hurst debacle, even though Tang disagrees. Of course, I won't mind a bit if he does get rid of the lot. :lol:
I’m not disagreeing that Evans won’t have a mass clear out because it’s bloody hard to work out his motives. I’m just hoping he’s learnt a few lessons over the last few years. I’d really hope he’s pissed off paying for the biggest squad in the league and will see the contract situation as a great opportunity to start afresh under a decent manager.
I just see the Hurst situation as completely different. We had decent players under contract and we sold them. Now we have a bunch of mediocre players who we’ve lumbered with and they’re now coming out of contract. That’s a massive gift just landed in his lap.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 pm
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Watch Forfar instead
12 QUID!!!! Those robbin’ Angus bstds!! And a fiver for a virtual birdie?! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:16 pm

The fiver is cheap lol

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 pm

When a new manager joins a football club I think it is reasonable to assume that all playing staff, especially those nearing the end of their contracts' will play out of their skin to try & impress the bloke. Not the nancy boys at ITFC though. From what we see and hear, it appears that the couldn't give a jot. I know footballers are not the sharpest tools in the box, but surely even they can see that they run the serious risk of being out of work in the summer along with an awful lot of other players . New clubs won't be easy to find, if at all for some of them.

I have no sympathy for them.