Last 10 games then

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Last 10 games then

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 pm

30 points up for grabs , mostly all against lower placed teams.

Town currently have 54pts (played 35)

Top three places are currently on
Hull (played 37 ). 69pts
Posh ( played 35). 66pts
Sunderland (played 35) 64pts

So, how many points could we get from these 10 games.

I think most if the top 6 have to play each other , some twice ...,,

Don’t laugh ...... but Can we make top two ?

Apr 15:00 Bristol Rovers H
5 Apr 15:00 Rochdale A
10 Apr 15:00 MK Dons H
13 Apr 18:30 AFC Wimbledon A
17 Apr 15:00 Charlton Athletic A
20 Apr 19:00 Northampton Town A
24 Apr 15:00 AFC Wimbledon H

1 May 15:00 Swindon Town A
4 May 19:00 Shrewsbury Town A
8 May 15:00 Fleetwood Town H

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Only 4 home games and 6 away, that could work against us given we’ve only managed to win 6 of our 16 away games played so far.

6 of those 10 games are also against teams involved in a desperate battle to avoid relegation and points in those 6 games will be extremely hard to come by. To be honest Liz I’d much prefer a run of fixtures against mid table teams with little or nothing to play for.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2181
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 am

No Liz - we cannot make the top 2, never in a month of Sundays.

Peterborough and Sunderland have both played the same number of games as us, and are 12 and 10 points ahead of us respectively. There is no way we can make up that sort of a gap in so few games, especially given our inability to score goals.

Doncaster are 2 points above us with a game in hand. Portsmouth and Oxford have played the same number of games as us and are one point ahead and one point behind respectively. Blackpool are one point behind us with 2 games in hand.

ALL of the teams mentioned above have a better goal difference to us.

TBH, I don't think we'll even make the play-offs, but Top 2 is way out of reach.

tangfastic
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by tangfastic » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 pm
Only 4 home games and 6 away, that could work against us given we’ve only managed to win 6 of our 16 away games played so far.

6 of those 10 games are also against teams involved in a desperate battle to avoid relegation and points in those 6 games will be extremely hard to come by. To be honest Liz I’d much prefer a run of fixtures against mid table teams with little or nothing to play for.
Are there many mid-table teams with nothing to play for? There’s so many clubs that if they get on a run they can easily make the top six. Hence we could slide down to 14th and 15th. And I thought Gillingham and Fleetwood were mid-table and they beat us easily.
And the relegation teams will fight to the death as it’s so tight down there. But they’re down there for a reason so maybe it will work for us.

I don’t see us going on a great winning run, but we have a decent chance of making top six. But then again so does so many other sides. From now on, we can’t rely on other club’s slipping up too often.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Cheers Hallam, I’ll have a go at this .... basing these on match reports from past couple games and Cook seemingly looking as if he may succeed in getting the crock of sh*t playing better with some semblance of a winning mentality. Portsmouth was a loss but far from a disappointing match report. So here goes.

Apr 15:00 Bristol Rovers H WIN
5 Apr 15:00 Rochdale A WIN
10 Apr 15:00 MK Dons H WIN
13 Apr 18:30 AFC Wimbledon A DRAW
17 Apr 15:00 Charlton Athletic A LOSS
20 Apr 19:00 Northampton Town A DRAW
24 Apr 15:00 AFC Wimbledon H WIN

1 May 15:00 Swindon Town A DRAW
4 May 19:00 Shrewsbury Town A DRAW
8 May 15:00 Fleetwood Town H WIN

19 points and finishing on 73 points.

What position does 73 points traditionally leave clubs in? Play-Offs? No idea 🤷‍♂️ but will search wiki a little later.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Any team with 73 points would normally scrape into 6th place and the final place of the Play Offs.

Tinytown
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Tinytown » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Where is Wigan who we play Saturday in that list. So that would be 11 games left and possible another 3 pts to everybody's score. 46 game season not 45. :?

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Thanks Charnwood, and thanks Tiny.

3pts @ Wigan —->> 76 pts total.

Play-offs nae bother 👌

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:16 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 am
No Liz - we cannot make the top 2, never in a month of Sundays.

Peterborough and Sunderland have both played the same number of games as us, and are 12 and 10 points ahead of us respectively. There is no way we can make up that sort of a gap in so few games, especially given our inability to score goals.

Doncaster are 2 points above us with a game in hand. Portsmouth and Oxford have played the same number of games as us and are one point ahead and one point behind respectively. Blackpool are one point behind us with 2 games in hand.

ALL of the teams mentioned above have a better goal difference to us.

TBH, I don't think we'll even make the play-offs, but Top 2 is way out of reach.

Oh go on, humour me ! :lol:

Tbh playing the teams in and around the relegation zone , for US will be a nightmare , because we never beat teams that have something to play for. Those fighting to stay up will probably beat us since we are such a bunch of snowflakes.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:34 pm
Thanks Charnwood, and thanks Tiny.

3pts @ Wigan —->> 76 pts total.

Play-offs nae bother 👌

Hell Marko, only one defeat between now and the end of the season, that’ll screw the pessimists brains.🤯

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Getting brainwashed by John Deere’s “believe” posts! :lol:

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm
Getting brainwashed by John Deere’s “believe” posts! :lol:


If I could find odds for more than one defeat between now and the end of the season I’d fill my boots.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 am

The thing is with the exception of Charlton away and Fleetwood at home they are all very winnable games

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 am
The thing is with the exception of Charlton away and Fleetwood at home they are all very winnable games

..... and so should have been some of the other games we’ve either lost or failed to win. Reality is it’s highly unlikely we’ll only lose one more game between now and the end of the season and I’d feel extremely safe placing a bet on that which should increase our chances fivefold.😂

tangfastic
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by tangfastic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:57 am

We’ve just got to do a little better than a bunch of other clubs who could get 5th or 6th place over 11 games. We’re not playing that much catch up - it’s not like we have to claw back 6 or 7 points. We could probably afford to lose a few of the games. As there’s a lot of mid-table teams hoping to get in the playoffs, there’ll be a lot of six-pointer fixtures where points will be shared out and points dropped amongst other teams.

Bonkers league where there’s 4 points between 5th and 12th and 9 points between 5th and 16th

No one has any real form. We don’t necessarily have to go on an amazing run, just better than average and hope that a couple of clubs don’t go on a winning spree. The form table suggests no-one around us is doing that.... yet.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:35 am
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 am
The thing is with the exception of Charlton away and Fleetwood at home they are all very winnable games

..... and so should have been some of the other games we’ve either lost or failed to win. Reality is it’s highly unlikely we’ll only lose one more game between now and the end of the season and I’d feel extremely safe placing a bet on that which should increase our chances fivefold.😂
True but when we lost to the likes of Swindon and Northampton we had you know in charge, thankfully with a bit more influence in the coming days I think Cooks team will be good enough, time will tell.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:15 pm

This might be another explanation for my blue tinted-ness, Charnwood. I reckon it’s nothing to do with the team’s performances of late, or the home/away thing...... I think it’s genuinely the brain and being trapped in the past! :lol:

Bristol Rovers..... Oh, yes WIN
Rochdale...... oh ffs really? WIN
MK dons..... I mean seriously? Who are they? WIN

...., and so on. :D

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by saint jude » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm

A considerable number of away trips there maybe just as well as we often struggle at home but the point being the majority of what remains is in itself largely beatable. You can acknowledge we can't or won't overcome those above us in the league but at the same time have in the past and continue to do so, make work of overcoming what should be simple opponents that occupy lower league placing / less distinguished club names.

Depends really how much the players want it, it may get to a stage where those realize promotion is beyond us and perhaps give up but while a sizeable opportunity is there would encourage boh the manager and team to really go for it. I don't want to be stuck in this division for another season, maybe we would struggle again back in the Championship but until you make it back you just don't know.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm
Depends really how much the players want it, it may get to a stage where those realize promotion is beyond us and perhaps give up but while a sizeable opportunity is there would encourage boh the manager and team to really go for it. I don't want to be stuck in this division for another season, maybe we would struggle again back in the Championship but until you make it back you just don't know.
Spot on, Saint

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm
saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm
Depends really how much the players want it, it may get to a stage where those realize promotion is beyond us and perhaps give up but while a sizeable opportunity is there would encourage boh the manager and team to really go for it. I don't want to be stuck in this division for another season, maybe we would struggle again back in the Championship but until you make it back you just don't know.
Spot on, Saint
Based on today’s game at Wigan, they don’t appear to really want it at all, and if they did maybe we just have to accept they’re simply not good enough, want it or not.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm
saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm
Depends really how much the players want it, it may get to a stage where those realize promotion is beyond us and perhaps give up but while a sizeable opportunity is there would encourage boh the manager and team to really go for it. I don't want to be stuck in this division for another season, maybe we would struggle again back in the Championship but until you make it back you just don't know.
Spot on, Saint
Based on today’s game at Wigan, they don’t appear to really want it at all, and if they did maybe we just have to accept they’re simply not good enough, want it or not.
Spot on, Charnwood

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:32 pm

I think these players are downing tools, ( the tools), because they know they are being shown the door in the summer. I’d kick them into touch now, and play a few of the U23.... cant do any worse tbh.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:32 pm
I think these players are downing tools, ( the tools), because they know they are being shown the door in the summer. I’d kick them into touch now, and play the 10 year old laddies in Marko69's granddaughters primary 5 class, .... cant do any worse tbh.
Fixed that for you, Hallam.

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:41 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:32 pm
I think these players are downing tools, ( the tools), because they know they are being shown the door in the summer. I’d kick them into touch now, and play the 10 year old laddies in Marko69's granddaughters primary 5 class, .... cant do any worse tbh.
Fixed that for you, Hallam.
Ha ha ha that’s brilliant Marko :lol:

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:37 am

If I were Paul Cook in the remaking games I’d only use players I intend to keep next season plus those on the maybe list and accept the consequences.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4617
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:16 am

But PC is supposed to be the manager. It's his job to gee the players up. If they are downing tools then maybe PC is not as good as we think he is. I would have expected a little bit of a bounce with the new manager to be honest. Surely some players are keen to be part of the new regime, not to mention that there is a possible trip to Wembley on the horizon for some of them. If they are really downing tools then PC is messing up.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 pm

I don't for one second believe there is any downing of tools, lets not make excuses for them again, they are just total sh*te.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 pm
I don't for one second believe there is any downing of tools, lets not make excuses for them again, they are just total sh*te.
Yep. Agreed 100%

Rossi does say on another thread about the three wins at the end of Lamberts time, and let’s be honest, of those games, only V Hull were they any good,...... but prior to all that, they’ve been worse than sh*t.

So yep, the tools aren’t downing anything; they’re just crap.,

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:16 am
But PC is supposed to be the manager. It's his job to gee the players up. If they are downing tools then maybe PC is not as good as we think he is. I would have expected a little bit of a bounce with the new manager to be honest. Surely some players are keen to be part of the new regime, not to mention that there is a possible trip to Wembley on the horizon for some of them. If they are really downing tools then PC is messing up.
These players are supposedly professional footballers. Not some bunch of kids or a Sunday morning outfit. If they can’t be professional enough to “ gee themselves “ up , then they are not professional athletes IMO. Apparently some players didn’t like being shouted at in training by PC? ...".Wtf ? They wouldn’t have lasted 2 seconds at Man Utd under Sir Alex Ferguson then. He used to sand blast them at half time let alone 8n training sessions 8f the players were falling behind the expected levels.

That’s been the problem at ITFC, the standards ha e dropped to such a low level , there’s no impetus or self discipline at the club . But Paul Cook will get r8d and shake up this squad and bring in professional players .

I shall never forget McGoldricks comments after he’d left this Club, when he was interviewed after a game for Sheffield Utd..... he said how things ( expectations) were so much higher at SUFC compared to ITFC. That he loved it at ITFC, but he went in every day for a run around, and there was never any pressure to win matches. It was all too easy and “laid back” .

THIS goes to core of what’s wrong at this Club. It became a culture of “ proper blokes”, journeymen on Cushy contracts, ( Huws 4 years...has played less than 25games for us as one example). Hurst comes in (and whilst I accept he facilitated our eventual relegation) and looking back at his time here , I think he honestly could see what was wrong at the Club and tried to change it took quickly. The players took exception and downed tools then too ( just like they’re doing under Cook now). Hurst had a real go at the players after the Exeter game away I recall and soon after that he left the club. Lambert hadn’t got the balls to tackle this issue of a possible player power culture at this Club. He chose to be all things to all men, and it doesn’t work. Cook is now finding exactly the same problems. The big difference here and now I feel is many of these players are out of contract in a few weeks time. So their collective power has gone. It pains me to say this, but I am now seriously wondering just how much
“ control” or influence in the dressing room the most senior players, Chambers and Skuse actually have on the squad, above the manager? Because something isn’t right at this Club, and hasn’t been for a long time. It’s a day to day thing , and so IMHO not Evans related, because he’s rarely at the club on a day to day basis is he.

A big shake up is coming at ITFC, and players are feeling edgy , unsettled , belligerent, threatened? I don’t know. But it’s not going to be Cook who comes out worse from all this. There’s a much bigger picture going on behind the scenes and we can only guess at what that is. But Cook was head hunted and has been brought in to to a specific job. IMO , he’s biding his time with this group.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:37 pm
These players are supposedly professional footballers. Not some bunch of kids or a Sunday morning outfit. If they can’t be professional enough to “ gee themselves “ up , then they are not professional athletes IMO. Apparently some players didn’t like being shouted at in training by PC? ...".Wtf ? They wouldn’t have lasted 2 seconds at Man Utd under Sir Alex Ferguson then. He used to sand blast them at half time let alone 8n training sessions 8f the players were falling behind the expected levels.

That’s been the problem at ITFC, the standards ha e dropped to such a low level , there’s no impetus or self discipline at the club . But Paul Cook will get r8d and shake up this squad and bring in professional players .

I shall never forget McGoldricks comments after he’d left this Club, when he was interviewed after a game for Sheffield Utd..... he said how things ( expectations) were so much higher at SUFC compared to ITFC. That he loved it at ITFC, but he went in every day for a run around, and there was never any pressure to win matches. It was all too easy and “laid back” .

THIS goes to core of what’s wrong at this Club. It became a culture of “ proper blokes”, journeymen on Cushy contracts, ( Huws 4 years...has played less than 25games for us as one example). Hurst comes in (and whilst I accept he facilitated our eventual relegation) and looking back at his time here , I think he honestly could see what was wrong at the Club and tried to change it took quickly. The players took exception and downed tools then too ( just like they’re doing under Cook now). Hurst had a real go at the players after the Exeter game away I recall and soon after that he left the club. Lambert hadn’t got the balls to tackle this issue of a possible player power culture at this Club. He chose to be all things to all men, and it doesn’t work. Cook is now finding exactly the same problems. The big difference here and now I feel is many of these players are out of contract in a few weeks time. So their collective power has gone. It pains me to say this, but I am now seriously wondering just how much
“ control” or influence in the dressing room the most senior players, Chambers and Skuse actually have on the squad, above the manager? Because something isn’t right at this Club, and hasn’t been for a long time. It’s a day to day thing , and so IMHO not Evans related, because he’s rarely at the club on a day to day basis is he.

A big shake up is coming at ITFC, and players are feeling edgy , unsettled , belligerent, threatened? I don’t know. But it’s not going to be Cook who comes out worse from all this. There’s a much bigger picture going on behind the scenes and we can only guess at what that is. But Cook was head hunted and has been brought in to to a specific job. IMO , he’s biding his time with this group.
Why would they be "downing tools" if they were feeling all of those negative feelings you mention?

Wouldn't an imminent shake up make them do the opposite and pick up their tools! (Not in that way! :D )

I don't understand. Is this a profession whereby if there is a possibility that you may not be there in a few months, you play WORSE in that time?

I mean this isn't like a building site where guys DO down tools. Other companies aren't watching these guys downing their tools. Footballers are being watched. By other clubs. Makes no sense.

There ain't no downing of tools in my opinion.

Cook will probably recruit (if allowed) a squad that can play in his preferred formations that he's had success with.

And can I just say....., 10;00 minutes exactly into the Sligo video, Cook mentions investment........., it'll be COOK HIMSELF who downs tools come summer / first months of 21/22 season if there is no help from above.

Post Reply