Last 10 games then

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Last 10 games then

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:23 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:37 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:16 am
But PC is supposed to be the manager. It's his job to gee the players up. If they are downing tools then maybe PC is not as good as we think he is. I would have expected a little bit of a bounce with the new manager to be honest. Surely some players are keen to be part of the new regime, not to mention that there is a possible trip to Wembley on the horizon for some of them. If they are really downing tools then PC is messing up.
These players are supposedly professional footballers. Not some bunch of kids or a Sunday morning outfit. If they can’t be professional enough to “ gee themselves “ up , then they are not professional athletes IMO. Apparently some players didn’t like being shouted at in training by PC? ...".Wtf ? They wouldn’t have lasted 2 seconds at Man Utd under Sir Alex Ferguson then. He used to sand blast them at half time let alone 8n training sessions 8f the players were falling behind the expected levels.

That’s been the problem at ITFC, the standards ha e dropped to such a low level , there’s no impetus or self discipline at the club . But Paul Cook will get r8d and shake up this squad and bring in professional players .

I shall never forget McGoldricks comments after he’d left this Club, when he was interviewed after a game for Sheffield Utd..... he said how things ( expectations) were so much higher at SUFC compared to ITFC. That he loved it at ITFC, but he went in every day for a run around, and there was never any pressure to win matches. It was all too easy and “laid back” .

THIS goes to core of what’s wrong at this Club. It became a culture of “ proper blokes”, journeymen on Cushy contracts, ( Huws 4 years...has played less than 25games for us as one example). Hurst comes in (and whilst I accept he facilitated our eventual relegation) and looking back at his time here , I think he honestly could see what was wrong at the Club and tried to change it took quickly. The players took exception and downed tools then too ( just like they’re doing under Cook now). Hurst had a real go at the players after the Exeter game away I recall and soon after that he left the club. Lambert hadn’t got the balls to tackle this issue of a possible player power culture at this Club. He chose to be all things to all men, and it doesn’t work. Cook is now finding exactly the same problems. The big difference here and now I feel is many of these players are out of contract in a few weeks time. So their collective power has gone. It pains me to say this, but I am now seriously wondering just how much
“ control” or influence in the dressing room the most senior players, Chambers and Skuse actually have on the squad, above the manager? Because something isn’t right at this Club, and hasn’t been for a long time. It’s a day to day thing , and so IMHO not Evans related, because he’s rarely at the club on a day to day basis is he.

A big shake up is coming at ITFC, and players are feeling edgy , unsettled , belligerent, threatened? I don’t know. But it’s not going to be Cook who comes out worse from all this. There’s a much bigger picture going on behind the scenes and we can only guess at what that is. But Cook was head hunted and has been brought in to to a specific job. IMO , he’s biding his time with this group.
I wouldn’t go as far as throwing Chambers and Skuse under the bus and saying they’re solely to blame for the ‘culture’ here - but I’ve felt for a long time the club is too cosy. I don’t see a toxic, nasty culture - but, in many ways, the opposite where it’s too nice and comfortable. Have we a culture or reputation here from a player’s point of view as a nice club to come into where you get looked after and you can afford to ease of a bit?
Like yourself, I remember McGoldricks comments about the club. I also remember Mick’s comments around the same time when we got relegated. I remember him having a bit of a dig ( no problem with that, he took a lot of stick), but he mentioned a text with Joe Garner regarding Chambers and was sympathising with the players as they d have to take a massive wage cuts

”It summed it up for me when Joe Garner got the equaliser against Wigan and I texted him to say, ‘Well done, bet that pleased you today’ and he came back to me and he said, ‘No gaffer, I was speaking to Chambo [Luke Chambers] today and they all have wage cuts if they go down, and I feel for him’.

”I feel desperately sad for the players,” he said. “Some are taking big, big pay cuts, 50 or 60 per cent going down, so I’m hearing.”
I understand every player wants to get paid well, but to hear about players getting paid less just when they get relegated pissed me off. Can’t help feel there’s been too many players come in here who are looking for an easy, well-paid life where the bar is set too comfortably low.
A great opportunity to get rid of players who’ve taken the p*ss and also an opportunity to say thanks/goodbye to the ones who’ve been good servants but can’t take us forward. Chambers is the difficult one because as a player he’s been one of our better players this season and could justify a new deal, but as a captain we need someone to shake things up a bit. He might be a decent enough player next season, but is he the type to give up the captaincy, go back to the ranks and let a new captain make their own impact?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am

Maybe Chambers would make a good coach, it may be that the club would benefit from a gradual transformation into this role. Characters like him both on the pitch and behind the scenes, don't turn up at a club every day.

However if he feels he has a couple more seasons in him at full wages (whatever they are) then PC will have difficult decisions to make.

Personally I think he could still be capable of giving us a promotion season next season but as captain maybe not as the transition will need a leader. Is Downes new captain material? If so then maybe he would benefit from having Chambers behind him, maybe not. We can't answer these questions only PC can.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 am

Tang: I’m not throwing chambers or Skuse under the bus and suggesting they are solely responsible for what’s going on at this Club. But I’m raising the question, what is or how much is the influence they have on the players?

I have stated quite clearly that this Club is too cosy and laid back and that McGoldricks comments go right to the core of the problem at this Club.

I think both Chambers and Skuse have an increasing back room role at this Club, going forwards. Some on here would disagree with that too.

Having said all the above , strangely enough, over recent months, I think Chambers has “disappeared” as a visible and vocal influence on the pitch and at the Club. You rarely see him geeing the players up , and I can’t remember the last time he’s spoken to the press, post match. Which seems a bit odd given that in the decade he’s been here , he’s always worsen his heart on his sleeve so to speak. Maybe thats why the squad is doing so badly ?? 🤷‍♀️ I honesty don’t know.
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:31 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am
Maybe Chambers would make a good coach, it may be that the club would benefit from a gradual transformation into this role. Characters like him both on the pitch and behind the scenes, don't turn up at a club every day.

However if he feels he has a couple more seasons in him at full wages (whatever they are) then PC will have difficult decisions to make.

Personally I think he could still be capable of giving us a promotion season next season but as captain maybe not as the transition will need a leader. Is Downes new captain material? If so then maybe he would benefit from having Chambers behind him, maybe not. We can't answer these questions only PC can.

As much as I’d like Chambo to lift the League One Champions trophy next season , I honestly don’t think he will be a regular next season. I’d agree m and have said similar myself , that he has a lot t9 offer the club behind the scenes. He is so involved with the youngsters here and has been for a long while.

Downes for further captain? Definitely not at this Club. He’ll be gone in the summer I feel. He sees his future away from Suffolk, and atm he’s definitely not got a leadership quality that’s visible. He’s far to reactive and hot headed for that. But he might change over time, but usually captain material is an innate characteristic I feel.

But we all see it differently don’t we , so guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 am
Tang: I’m not throwing chambers or Skuse under the bus and suggesting they are solely responsible for what’s going on at this Club. But I’m raising the question, what is or how much is the influence they have on the players?

I have stated quite clearly that this Club is too cosy and laid back and that McGoldricks comments go right to the core of the problem at this Club.

I think both Chambers and Skuse have an increasing back room role at this Club, going forwards. Some on here would disagree with that too.

Having said all the above , strangely enough, over recent months, I think Chambers has “disappeared” as a visible and vocal influence on the pitch and at the Club. You rarely see him geeing the players up , and I can’t remember the last time he’s spoken to the press, post match. Which seems a bit odd given that in the decade he’s been here , he’s always worsen his heart on his sleeve so to speak. Maybe thats why the squad is doing so badly ?? 🤷‍♀️ I honesty don’t know.
In regards to Chambers and Skuse... I have to say that I think they have too much say or power in the dressing room, but they’re clearly not having enough good influence as the senior players. It could be they’ve done this so long here they’re going through the motions and whatever they say or do is just background noise to other players now. It doesn’t mean they’re the bad guys - but there’s got to be others out there that can do better.

TBF ... I’m sick and tired of talking about Chambers and Skuse. Whether people think they’re a fantastic influence and holding together the club OR they are too powerful and have a detrimental influence - can’t we just say goodbye and move on. Why is it so important they still have to be at the club? This is football - it’s a relatively short career and players come and go. There would be nothing wrong in just not extending a 35-36 year old’s contract. That’s normal in football. And we’re also not obliged to give them a coaching job.

Clear the decks and allow Cook to bring his own staff in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 am

Coming from Mcgoldrick thats an absolute classic, the irony of it is that pr*ck couldn't even make it onto the pitch in a cosy scenario he hid numerous times and his fitness was appalling, god knows how he'd have coped if it was heavy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:00 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 am

In regards to Chambers and Skuse... I have to say that I think they have too much say or power in the dressing room, but they’re clearly not having enough good influence as the senior players. It could be they’ve done this so long here they’re going through the motions and whatever they say or do is just background noise to other players now. It doesn’t mean they’re the bad guys - but there’s got to be others out there that can do better.

TBF ... I’m sick and tired of talking about Chambers and Skuse. Whether people think they’re a fantastic influence and holding together the club OR they are too powerful and have a detrimental influence - can’t we just say goodbye and move on. Why is it so important they still have to be at the club? This is football - it’s a relatively short career and players come and go. There would be nothing wrong in just not extending a 35-36 year old’s contract. That’s normal in football. And we’re also not obliged to give them a coaching job.

Clear the decks and allow Cook to bring his own staff in.
Some very fair and valid points there Tang...😁👍