McGavin back with Town

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
Kerry Blue
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

McGavin back with Town

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Can he play for us? He didn't do much if anything at Ayr.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:55 pm

He's not good enough tbh.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 pm

And no can't play for us this season but it gives Cook a chance to look at him.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:20 pm

He's sh!t. Close the thread.

tangfastic
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by tangfastic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 pm

I’m not writing McGavin off yet. I thought he looked half-decent for us in a few games, and maybe MOTM on one occasion.

I do wonder if he needs to work on his fitness. Looked a bit overweight. He’s a naturally big lad though and doesn’t easily get knocked off the ball. At his age, there’s still room for development. I suppose it’s better he’s here where Cook can look at him and see if he has anything to offer rather than waste away at Ayr. Good to see that Ndaba is getting games at Ayr. He should come back a better player.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm

That'll go a long long way into answering why Ipswich Town didn't sniff the play-offs last season --->> if McGavin won a MOM award?? F@ck sake! You're making me think Cooks job is rather more monumental than first thought.

Correct with the overweight....., quite a bit overweight really, slow, laboured, .(probably would fit in nicely to the Ayrshire culture had he not chosen to pretend to be a footballer for a career) ..... But, the main issue, just didn't want the ball at all. Very frustrating to watch, and I definitely was focussed intently on him. Maybe he was just overcome with nerves and he's better (like you say; MOM material?) ...., but wasn't seeing that at all in that game.

In the same game vs the Jambos though, Ndaba was excellent. Didn't win MOM but was certainly Ayrs MOM.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm

I really like the look of Corrie Ndaba, I hope we see him remain at Town, Tang is right in that one game McGavin looked very good indeed, I do however wonder if it was because the other Ten Town players were absolute sh*te, I just can't help but think we need much better if we are to ever achieve anything

tangfastic
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by tangfastic » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm
I really like the look of Corrie Ndaba, I hope we see him remain at Town, Tang is right in that one game McGavin looked very good indeed, I do however wonder if it was because the other Ten Town players were absolute sh*te, I just can't help but think we need much better if we are to ever achieve anything
I think you could be right about McGavin. With academy players we hear a lot about them, but it takes so long to know if they are the real deal or just potential. I mean Downes took a few years to get to be a regular starter. Dozzell, too. Bishop has been around even longer, but I wouldn’t even say he’s a nailed on starter. Woolf has gone backwards. I don’t think we can hang around too long to wait to see if these young players can both make it and improve the team. I’m also looking at Lankester and thinking he’s too lightweight... and is he a number 10 (we’ve got loads) or a winger (too slow). I think we probably need to concentrate on bringing players in with experience who fit the Cook model. And it could be some youngsters with potential have to make way as well if they can’t make the leap up quick enough.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 am
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm
I really like the look of Corrie Ndaba, I hope we see him remain at Town, Tang is right in that one game McGavin looked very good indeed, I do however wonder if it was because the other Ten Town players were absolute sh*te, I just can't help but think we need much better if we are to ever achieve anything
I think you could be right about McGavin. With academy players we hear a lot about them, but it takes so long to know if they are the real deal or just potential. I mean Downes took a few years to get to be a regular starter. Dozzell, too. Bishop has been around even longer, but I wouldn’t even say he’s a nailed on starter. Woolf has gone backwards. I don’t think we can hang around too long to wait to see if these young players can both make it and improve the team. I’m also looking at Lankester and thinking he’s too lightweight... and is he a number 10 (we’ve got loads) or a winger (too slow). I think we probably need to concentrate on bringing players in with experience who fit the Cook model. And it could be some youngsters with potential have to make way as well if they can’t make the leap up quick enough.
Yep I think you are exactly right, I would however keep the likes of Dozzell, Bishop & Downes, plus this Baggott kid and Ndaba looks like he has something, as for the rest, let's go with seasoned, been there and done it pros.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2443
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:20 pm
He's sh!t. Close the thread.
What after one F*****G sub appearance :shock: He's back so will get some under 23's games hopefully

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19480
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:54 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:20 pm
He's sh!t. Close the thread.
What after one F*****G sub appearance :shock: He's back so will get some under 23's games hopefully


He’s sh*t. And the entire team are sh*t. Go watch it.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2443
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: McGavin back with Town

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Marco me old son, :x I'm not wasting my £10 watching that pile of S**T, I'll wait until next season when hopefully Cookie's sorted the whole squad to outs and stays, and the squad number is at a more realistic total of around 17 +under 23's coming through.

Post Reply