Mr Coq

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Mr Coq

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 pm
That's your choice to feel that way, but its a fact when things shall we say get a bit heated some can't help but throw fuel on the fire.
If that's the way I come across I apologize; that was certainly not my intention.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 pm

I'm not meaning you, I just think we get the thread back on topic.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm
So, PC has now had 6 games in charge with the sorry record of P6 W1 D2 L3.

Immediately before he took over we won 3 games on the bounce - with the SAME players that PC has access to.

Something is very wrong here - maybe he's not nearly as good a manager as many of you on here believed him to be.
Hi Rossi, I'll ignore the rest of the thread and address what I think is an interesting observation. I'm new here so have no knowledge of, nor interest in, what issues might have arisen previously between posters.

I want to believe Cook is exactly as good as many of us think he is. His previous jobs have shown a consistent, positive, track record. He is, by reputation at least, a decent coach. When I watch his interviews I am struck by his energy, openness and feel his assessments of games have been realistic.

To address the specific point you raise, I think the explanation for the upturn in form in Lambert's last three games was due, almost entirely, to the expectation that the club ownership was going to change and a new manager would be coming on board. The players fed off that buzz and the excitement around the potential change.

When ownership did not change some of that buzz dissipated. Then Cook came in and signalled pretty much straight away that the squad was too big and driftwood would be shifted. I think a lot of players have downed tools a little, counterintuitive though that may be. Human nature is funny that way.

We will not know anything really until next season and Cook has had the benefit of a transfer window. Until then, I am prepared to continue to believe.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:25 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm
Hi Rossi, I'll ignore the rest of the thread........
:lol: :lol: :lol: Could've saved yourself some time if you didn't.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Rossi I’m really struggling to understand why you have a problem with my contribution to your discussion. I’ve read it and read it again, and exactly what I said is that it’s meaningless comparing one manager with another after six games, and I still hold that opinion. Why you choose to pick an argument over that view beggars belief. As for now suggesting I’m hiding behind BB is absurd. Had I known you were such a sensitive bunny I wouldn’t have bothered to comment. As for turning this into an argument, I guess I should know from the past that you love picking arguments and then playing the victim role. As you said yourself, some things don’t change much over the years.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 pm
So, PC has now had 6 games in charge with the sorry record of P6 W1 D2 L3.

Immediately before he took over we won 3 games on the bounce - with the SAME players that PC has access to.

Something is very wrong here - maybe he's not nearly as good a manager as many of you on here believed him to be.
I think it’s a good point you raise Rossi, just a shame the thread lost its way as have others in the past.

Cook took over after 3 straight wins which in itself is unusual for mid season change of manager and yes the results have dipped. There has been thus far no new manager bounce in fact quite the opposite. Is it Cook? Like any manager he needs to be given time of course he does. However, there has been no sign of any improvement since he took over. He came out and said himself the players are good enough so if we go with that then he’s not had a good start and it seems he’s already searching for the right formula. Some said he’s not had much time on the training ground, he had more than the Cowleys and a whole week before Wigan.

So was PL as bad as many made out? But just like MM he is hounded out of the club. Based on recent events what’s changed? Nothing. PL inherited the worse side in living memory, worse than the team with have now and he has been blamed for relegation. Yes he made mistakes last season and this season the club has been decimated by injury but in the end managers are judged by results. PL has never been backed by ME some due to COVID and salary cap.

So in the past I have defended ME and the fact we have a stable club but my view on this has now changed. Our recruitment is nothing short of a f..king shambles and that sits at ME door. With the exception of Norwood and Garbutt I can’t think of any other transfers were PL first choice. Basically PL has been asked to win F3 with a go cart.

My fear is Cook will go the same way as PL. The squad needs proper investment to allow Cook the best chance of landing players he wants not what others do not.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:57 am

I questioned the Lambert out cries far more than many. When you think about the circumstances, Lambert had no choice to leave or force an out. His proclamation about structure at the club was just a personal statement about what’s really wrong with the club...and he knew that would release him from an untenable situation. There’s no way Marcus would continue to employ a manager who questioned the ownership’s running of the club. As much as I hate to admit it, the one thing MM had was connections in the football industry. Which is why he was able to recruit the likes of Tyrone Mings and Aaron Creswell...who both are now premier league players. Paul Cook’s not gonna fix things in the short term. There are massive changes that need to happen to change the fate of ITFC. Once again the main culprit floats to the surface of a once steaming football vessel that is and has been sinking since Marcus Evans ‘saved us’ from drowning.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:10 am

What if the club just sack him now? Might even get into the record books for the quickest knee-jerk sacking of all time.

May be completely wrong, but would've thought that a manager taking over any club in the February of a season, (after missing the modern day winter window) would at least be allowed to be given the remainder of that season to mix it all up, try things, find out things, then spend a summer making adjustments to sort the downfalls he's witnessed from Feb - May??

As said........., this thread could well be prophetic and very VERY relevant in October (obviously we all hope not)......, but just finding it a tad premature.

One thing is for sure........, "Tough crowd, Cookie!"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 am

For what its worth I have no doubt at all Cook will get it right, probably next season is more likely than this season, I look forward to reading all the "I knew Cook was the man for the job, said so at the time" comments.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:10 am
What if the club just sack him now? Might even get into the record books for the quickest knee-jerk sacking of all time.

May be completely wrong, but would've thought that a manager taking over any club in the February of a season, (after missing the modern day winter window) would at least be allowed to be given the remainder of that season to mix it all up, try things, find out things, then spend a summer making adjustments to sort the downfalls he's witnessed from Feb - May??

As said........., this thread could well be prophetic and very VERY relevant in October (obviously we all hope not)......, but just finding it a tad premature.

One thing is for sure........, "Tough crowd, Cookie!"
Marko, I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's even close to time to call for PC's head. Merely that it was unexpected that a forward thinking appointment of a quality manager with a good track record would result in an immediate dip of form. I actually have faith that he will turn it around this week with two straight wins but still agree with Rossi that the observation is pertinent and worthy of considered discussion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 am

We didn't have a dip in form when Cook arrived, our form was sh*te then too, it just so happened we fluked a couple of wins, the performances were poor, the results papered over gaping cracks

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am

I won't claim that there aren't issues but I think this comment is a little unfair to Oxford, Hull, Doncaster, Accrington & Lincoln, all of whom we got results against in the run up to the change. That's a lot of flukes.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 am
For what its worth I have no doubt at all Cook will get it right, probably next season is more likely than this season, I look forward to reading all the "I knew Cook was the man for the job, said so at the time" comments.
Cook definitely has the credentials to be the man for the job, but that will go unnoticed until Cook has a squad for the job.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:27 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am
I won't claim that there aren't issues but I think this comment is a little unfair to Oxford, Hull, Doncaster, Accrington & Lincoln, all of whom we got results against in the run up to the change. That's a lot of flukes.
Read back through the match threads, outplayed for much of the game against Lincoln, 2nd best for much of the game against Ten man Accrington, pretty average against Oxford with no goal threat, played well first part of Doncaster game then tried to throw it away, played well against a dire Hull side on the night. Quite a lot of flukes yes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:34 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am
There was nothing that you could consider “form” if you watched those games you mention with the exception of the Hull game. The performances were unbelievably poor.
And now, with Hull being on top and looking good, you’ve got to think it was something Hull were doing wrong that night that made Ipswich look decent.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 pm
Rossi I’m really struggling to understand why you have a problem with my contribution to your discussion. I’ve read it and read it again, and exactly what I said is that it’s meaningless comparing one manager with another after six games, and I still hold that opinion. Why you choose to pick an argument over that view beggars belief. As for now suggesting I’m hiding behind BB is absurd. Had I known you were such a sensitive bunny I wouldn’t have bothered to comment. As for turning this into an argument, I guess I should know from the past that you love picking arguments and then playing the victim role. As you said yourself, some things don’t change much over the years.
well we've had our spats on the forum over the years, I guess the best thing is to leave it in the past and move on as I'm far from being sensitive and even farther from wanting an argument.

So, with the best will in the world, how are things in Moraira? I had a place in Saint Jaume looking down on the Ifach golf club from 1987 until I sold it 4 years ago - that was in the days when the Michetta Restaurant occupied what is now the club bar - I never played there as I was a member of Javea golf club. Is the Algas bar still going strong? When I first went to Moraira it was a quiet fishing town, but a few years ago they started to build it up to a scale to compare with Javea and Calpe - is the development of the town still going on?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:14 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:50 pm
Charnwood wrote:
well we've had our spats on the forum over the years, I guess the best thing is to leave it in the past and move on as I'm far from being sensitive and even farther from wanting an argument.

So, with the best will in the world, how are things in Moraira? I had a place in Saint Jaume looking down on the Ifach golf club from 1987 until I sold it 4 years ago - that was in the days when the Michetta Restaurant occupied what is now the club bar - I never played there as I was a member of Javea golf club. Is the Algas bar still going strong? When I first went to Moraira it was a quiet fishing town, but a few years ago they started to build it up to a scale to compare with Javea and Calpe - is the development of the town still going on?

I’m more than happy to move on Rossi especially given I don’t recall any of our previous spats as I thought we were mostly on the same page, especially when it comes down to the failings of our owner and recent managerial appointments.
Anyway, to answer your questions about Moraira....
I first came to Moraira in 1982 to stay at a friends family villa just a short walk from El Portet beach and fell in love with the place. In those days I guess it was even smaller and preceded the building of the Marina. We eventually bought our own house here in 2004 originally used as a holiday home but now our main residence partly forced on us by Brexit as dual country living wasn’t really a workable option. I know the Saint Jaime area quite well as I occasionally use what is now known as St Andrews Bar & Restaurant which is a brilliant outdoor music venue immediately adjacent to the Ifach Golf Club, could this have been the Michetta Restaurant ? or was that definitely the Ifach GC clubhouse. Algas Bar is another early doors favourite of ours and that whole area is now established as a classy eating area with a variety of up market restaurants offering a range of International cuisine.
The Town whilst continually improving is still only a fraction of the size of either Javea or Calpe which both have resident populations of circa 30k whereas Moraira even with Teulada added is less than 10k with Moraira alone less than 5k in winter, although as you know this swells to more than 40k in summer. What has taken off since you left is residential building which had been almost non existent for the past 10 years, following relaxation of planning regulations large numbers of mega expensive properties are popping up on every available spare piece of land and there appears to be no shortage of buyers in the €1m -€2m price range and above. Our paths definitely have some parallels Rossi as I’m also a member of Javea Golf Club and may well have been at the same time as you if you if you only sold up 4 years ago, what is your surname ? and which of the internal groups did you play with ?.. how crazy would it be if you’re know by some of my pals. What the other guys on here don’t know is that in the past we both lived in Chelmsford, as best I recall yourself in Broomfield and me in Galleywood just a stones throw from Gold&Black (John) who ran the village pub on Watchouse Road, I think even at the time I was living there between 1975 & 1979.
What a small world it is that we live in and far better to be kind, you never know when our paths might cross.

Apologies to you guys who’ve just been bored shitless, maybe the next poster can get the thread back on track.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:48 am

I'm googling Moraira right now, sounds like a nice place ;-)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 am

It used to be, clientele has gone down big time in recent years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 am
It used to be, clientele has gone down big time in recent years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
:mrgreen:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
I’m more than happy to move on Rossi especially given I don’t recall any of our previous spats as I thought we were mostly on the same page, especially when it comes down to the failings of our owner and recent managerial appointments.
Anyway, to answer your questions about Moraira....
I first came to Moraira in 1982 to stay at a friends family villa just a short walk from El Portet beach and fell in love with the place. In those days I guess it was even smaller and preceded the building of the Marina. We eventually bought our own house here in 2004 originally used as a holiday home but now our main residence partly forced on us by Brexit as dual country living wasn’t really a workable option. I know the Saint Jaime area quite well as I occasionally use what is now known as St Andrews Bar & Restaurant which is a brilliant outdoor music venue immediately adjacent to the Ifach Golf Club, could this have been the Michetta Restaurant ? or was that definitely the Ifach GC clubhouse. Algas Bar is another early doors favourite of ours and that whole area is now established as a classy eating area with a variety of up market restaurants offering a range of International cuisine.
The Town whilst continually improving is still only a fraction of the size of either Javea or Calpe which both have resident populations of circa 30k whereas Moraira even with Teulada added is less than 10k with Moraira alone less than 5k in winter, although as you know this swells to more than 40k in summer. What has taken off since you left is residential building which had been almost non existent for the past 10 years, following relaxation of planning regulations large numbers of mega expensive properties are popping up on every available spare piece of land and there appears to be no shortage of buyers in the €1m -€2m price range and above. Our paths definitely have some parallels Rossi as I’m also a member of Javea Golf Club and may well have been at the same time as you if you if you only sold up 4 years ago, what is your surname ? and which of the internal groups did you play with ?.. how crazy would it be if you’re know by some of my pals. What the other guys on here don’t know is that in the past we both lived in Chelmsford, as best I recall yourself in Broomfield and me in Galleywood just a stones throw from Gold&Black (John) who ran the village pub on Watchouse Road, I think even at the time I was living there between 1975 & 1979.
What a small world it is that we live in and far better to be kind, you never know when our paths might cross.

Apologies to you guys who’ve just been bored shitless, maybe the next poster can get the thread back on track.
well to be fair I joined the golf club mainly for the social side - I did play occasionally but never seriously.
Yes I loved Moraira, and the only reason I sold it was to be able to fund my property portfolio in Philippines (my wife is Filipino).
I think that the St Andrews Bar you describe is what used to be the Michetta, that also had superb live entertainment especially a Jazz band every Sunday lunch.
I still have use of a holiday place on Rio Duero at the Moraira Park complex - will look you up next time I am out there