US-led takeover of Ipswich Town has happened (edited)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: US-led takeover of Ipswich Town has happened (edited)

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 am

Id say , whatever Paul Cook wants , he will get for now ! I think he will target the "spine" of the team ...so what's that 4-5 players, including a striker ( most expensive player I suspect)…. so what say £4-5m?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:17 am
Anybody want to stab a guess at the level of funding Paul Cook can expect in the summer to start his rebuild. After of course hitting his target for players being “shown the door”, most of whom many of us will be glad to see the back of.
O'Leary said substantial investment, but then 'said he wouldn't say how much because it would affect our negotiations. Fair enough. I remember David Norriss becoming a lot more expensive once wed got a billionaire owner.

I think we can save a lot by not renewing contracts here and it could be us being more shrewder in the transfer market that is the key. There's going to be a lot of free transfers available this summer and it could be that extra 1 or 2 K a week wages could entice decent players here, rather than transfer fees.

Its going to be interesting. Wouldnt be averse to spending 2 or 3 million on one young player if they feel confident that player could'then become a 10 million player which wed then flog at a profit to re-invest. Depends how better we are at recruitment. Id be very worried about spending millions on players with our recent recruitment history.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am

I would say he will be looking to sign at least a dozen players if the expected cull is as drastic as we all believe is needed, of course there are going to be a lot of freebies available this summer so hopefully we can get some good assets for nowt too which would allow us to spend bigger on a few key signings.

One area which will be a issue for not just us but many clubs is the fact that at present I believe there are around 10 Championship clubs under a transfer embargo meaning they can't buy or sell anyone atm.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am

God , how can clubs allow themselves to get into such a financial mess eh ! tut :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 am

Lmao, its a disgrace, seriously though we must never let that happen again.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 am

I have to say I am not completely at ease with this takeover. I think it stems from the fact that is is a foreign led consortium rather than an individual. ITFC has always been a family (Cobbold) or individually owned set-up which somehow has more accountability than the takeover. What happens if it goes wrong?

The damage to the club was done before ME took control & despite his shortcomings I think fans should be grateful to him, (a) for taking the club on in the first place and (b) for writing off so much debt.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 am
I have to say I am not completely at ease with this takeover. I think it stems from the fact that is is a foreign led consortium rather than an individual. ITFC has always been a family (Cobbold) or individually owned set-up which somehow has more accountability than the takeover. What happens if it goes wrong?

The damage to the club was done before ME took control & despite his shortcomings I think fans should be grateful to him, (a) for taking the club on in the first place and (b) for writing off so much debt.
Agree with you Billy but we were only going one way with ME but we do have a lot to thank him for, it's a fresh start with only a small debt and a promise of investment they certainly wanted Ipswich or they wouldn't have been so patient waiting 14 months to get the deal done.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 am

Possible reason for the £400k debt?

Post from Phil Ham :

I was wondering about that, that was the only non-ME debt the club had. I'm guessing that the £400,000 relates to that. From the 2019/20 PLC accounts:

The Company continues to pay interest to its external loan note holders, which amounted to £35,000 (2019:£46,000) during the year.

To fund these payments, the Company has back to back loan notes in place with ITFC, under which the Company received £35,000 (2019:£46,000) of interest during the year.

As at 30 June 2020, the Company had external loan notes in issue of £485,000 (2019:£647,000) and back to back loan notes with ITFC of £485,000 (2019:£647,000).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 am

I see Gamechanger has been set up as Limited Company so God forbid it does go tits up there is no comeback on any individual.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 am
I'm with you Billy, but in an attempt to make us feel a bit better... Buying Ipswich could be a £100-200m risk, losing £10m or more a year over 10 years is very possible and so in order to be able to take that risk you'd have to be a billionaire, there seems to be 50-100 billionaires in the UK and even to most of those it would be a huge and unnecessary risk. What I'm saying is the chances of one of them being genuinely interested and relaxed enough to take the risk is very small, so a Cobbold style ownership just doesn't seem possible (or perhaps even desirable) in this day and age.

So some kind of shared ownership or foreign investment is probably the only way forward. I think so long as everyone involved knows the risk and they appoint a single individual to make the decisions, then it can definitely work. The fact that for Ipswich, things should only be heading up, if the investment does return results (promotion to the Championship), then everyone involved will see it as viable and it's probably already paid for itself, further investment is likely to come.

The bottom line is any new ownership is risky, but we were already on a sinking ship and I can't imagine too many perfect options were landing on Evans' doorstep. I'd rather be owned by a mega rich supporter of the club, but that ain't happening.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:25 pm

Link here to the pension fund if anyone is remotely interested.

https://www.azasrs.gov/content/facts-figures

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm

USD41.8 billion fund size.

Was actually interesting thanks Mike

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:57 pm

The other concerning thing is the appointment of the new CEO. According to earlier comments this possible contender Ashton may not be all that he is cracked up to be. How ironic it might be: good manager, new owners, crap CEO.

Interesting tines ahead.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Bristol City have done pretty well under his tenure.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:25 pm

I hate to say it BB but I have this feeling your going to be right.

Yes the Bristol Boy does seem to have done a good job but we are outsiders, you need to listen the fans, they have witnessed him at work, I think he is one to dodge. I believe the fans more than a bunch of managers back slapping each other tbh.

Look at the West Brom links, that t..t will be coming here you wait and see, I have this feeling it will not be all good news in regard to this investment, but lets see and I hope that I am wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm

I remember all this being said about McNally at Norwich and that by and large went pretty well. Every job is a different scenario, Ashton probably did a lot of good at Bristol City too, lets wait and see before we pre judge anyone, we haven't even appointed anyone yet.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:04 pm

It does seem quite clear that the bloke is a prat, this is from very reasonable City supporters who have backed under the cosh managers and offer very fair opinions.

But as Mike says, we have to give him a chance, I just hope he doesn't get too heavily involved with recruitment. I can stomach a knob who does a good job, but if he lets his opinion above others dictate who is brought in, then the chance I give him will be a very short one I imagine. If we are going to follow this 'stats forward' approach to recruitment, then the stats, scouts and analysts do the talking, not Ashton, let's hope for that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:10 pm

That's different Ricco, no way do I want him or anyone else telling Football people who to sign and who not to.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:04 pm
It does seem quite clear that the bloke is a prat, this is from very reasonable City supporters who have backed under the cosh managers and offer very fair opinions.

But as Mike says, we have to give him a chance, I just hope he doesn't get too heavily involved with recruitment. I can stomach a knob who does a good job, but if he lets his opinion above others dictate who is brought in, then the chance I give him will be a very short one I imagine. If we are going to follow this 'stats forward' approach to recruitment, then the stats, scouts and analysts do the talking, not Ashton, let's hope for that.
Well I hope Cook has a big say in who we recruit. I don’t think he’s the best in managing a team of misfits, but he’s got a very good record in managing players who fit into his style. And I’m guessing Cook has had a big say in the past with who he signs. If it is Ashton, then I hope his relationship with Cook is good.
Can’t help it must be Ashton .... all the rumours from the last month or so seem to be correct and he’s been a key figure mentioned from the start.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Where does this leave Lee O'Neil now ME puppet surely his days are numbered now too....?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 pm
Where does this leave Lee O'Neil now ME puppet surely his days are numbered now too....?
Good!! 👍👏👏👏

What a mumbling stuttering sponger that bloke is.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Good!! 👍👏👏👏

I actually feel a bit for Lee O’Neill. He was somebody doing quite a number of jobs and wasn’t really qualified for his job. I think he was the academy manager or coach and a former PE teacher. Think he was the cheap option to cover a multitude of tasks. Evans should have brought someone experienced and qualified as a CEO in. Just probably shows how amateurish we were. Don’t think LON had much power or influence, but was wheeled out to handle the press and do Evans dirty work and he wasn’t cut out for it.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am

Nick Hammond 08:55 - Apr 9 with 1668 views portmanking

Have been reliably informed that he is in discussions re. ITFC CEO vacancy.

Resigned from his role at Celtic to "pursue new opportunities" a week or so ago.

This has been posted on TWTD.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am

Well makes sense as Nick Hammond was previously at WBA some time back, hence the possible O'Leary connection ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:42 am

Frosty wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm
USD41.8 billion fund size.

Was actually interesting thanks Mike
That’s nowhere near enough money for our rebuild ....is it :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Good!! 👍👏👏👏

I actually feel a bit for Lee O’Neill. He was somebody doing quite a number of jobs and wasn’t really qualified for his job. I think he was the academy manager or coach and a former PE teacher. Think he was the cheap option to cover a multitude of tasks. Evans should have brought someone experienced and qualified as a CEO in. Just probably shows how amateurish we were. Don’t think LON had much power or influence, but was wheeled out to handle the press and do Evans dirty work and he wasn’t cut out for it.
Cheers for that, Tang. 👌 I’ll retract the sponger bit.

But I’ll stick to the mumblin stuttering part because if you are correct, then that’s why he looks like he’s making sh*t up as he speaks. He’s just basically out of his depth.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:22 pm

He's just another part of a torridly sh*te period that I want to see the back of ASAP.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:57 pm

How many of the new owners are planning to be at Portman Road today, just a shame there’s no fans to give them a huge welcome.

Hopefully our players will step up a gear, if they don’t or can’t it will show just home sh*t they really are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:15 pm

O'Leary is there today, I believe the others are in the states atm

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:23 pm

I believe listening to the interview, if the Americans come over now they would need to isolate

They hope to come over during the Summer though