US-led takeover of Ipswich Town has happened (edited)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: US-led takeover of Ipswich Town 'likely back on'

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am
OMG It's happened
That's the Trouble with you Mike you just didn't believe me when I said the other day it will be done sooner than you think.
I have very good contacts who know what's going down :D :D
Be honest Ash, it was hope rather than expectation lol.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
YEREEESSSSSSS !!!!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -completed

Just seen the news
I bet you wet yourself with this news Liz, But i did tell you ages ago it would happen sooner than you think?? that was last week if i recall :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Re: US-led takeover of Ipswich Town has happened (edited)

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm

I'm just waiting for the haggis basher Marco to comment and say sorry for doubting ASH the informer the man in the know, The Jag Man, come on Marco time to grovel to the old man :lol: :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
OMG It's happened
That's the Trouble with you Mike you just didn't believe me when I said the other day it will be done sooner than you think.
I have very good contacts who know what's going down :D :D
Be honest Ash, it was hope rather than expectation lol.
Nope BM I new this was happening it was just when :D :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:38 pm

It sounds like Evans wanted to make sure we were left in good hands. I applaud him for that. Let's hope this new beginning for ITFC will not only bring significant improvement on the pitch, but that it will also improve the structure of the club which in many ways has faltered over the years. I honestly didn't think Evans would sell at this point and time, and I'm completely surprised he did. I think the pandemic and resulting revenue loss have probably played a major role in Evan's decision to sell now. Thanks for your commitment to Ipswich Town FC Mr Evans...too bad it didn't work out. As fans of ITFC we've all needed something to be excited about for a very long time.

So does this mean we'll have cheerleaders now?! :twisted:

COYB!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm

I know it was time for a change of ownership and we were fed up with him but all Ipswich town fans owe ME a big thank you for saving our club, also it seems he has had lots of offers over the years but didn't sell until this offer which has been ongoing for a year and he seems satisfied that they are the right people to take Town forward to where we belong. 👏👏👏COYB.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Rumours of Mark Ashton from Bristol City could be coming our way, one of my colleagues is a big Robin fan and has advised he will ruin our club so I am hoping we will dodge him.....

Every City fan will be praying that Mark Ashton leaves us. So I hope he does go to you

He's destroyed/destroying our club, please take him

The issue with us, is he has too much power and doesn't know anything about football

So hes in charge of recruitment etc and hasn't got a clue

Time will tell.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Yes, likewise my City following mate has similarly scathing things to say about him when I brought it up during the initial rumours.

"He's everything that a person could possibly loathe in a suit. He handles the commercial side well, but his slimy arrogance kills that credit and his recruitment is woeful"

He went on a couple more rants, but basically boils down to... it's all become too commercial and while he has done ok at certain parts of his roles the "City fans are desperate for this Ipswich story to be true"!!!

It's not great and I'm not sure he's a great fit to a club like Ipswich, but they have achieved decent things at City and punched above their weight, so it certainly can't be any worse than what we've had! I'd give him a chance, but I'd be happy if they found another candidate for sure.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 pm

A lot to take in. First off don't care if they're American, North Vietnamese or Eskimos from Greenland, just want what's best for the club. Seems to carry a risk element but to be largely rid of Evans mismanagement and total f**king ineptitude you got to focus on a step in the right direction.

Brett Johnson says it's exciting to be involved with a club that possess one of the best histories / finest teams in UK 'football', not to knock your own but that's something of a misled statement. He wants to revert us to former glory, I don't know, how much can you take in. It's good to see some resolvement at long last but this could and should have gone ahead before now what with the team on the verge of a promotion opportunity. Maybe it will galvanize the players to redouble their efforts for the remaining games but now Lambert and Evans have stepped aside you got to take the bonuses where you can find them.

Seems the debt figure will be passed on to them although somewhere on the scene Evans will still hold a very small percentage of shareholding so any ties don't appear to have been completely severed. It's a shame the whole issue was set on an often misleading and deviating course with plenty of gray area and people not getting the answers they required but for now just need to take each week as it comes. Do hope something good will come of this, not expecting a return to 40 years back and challenging a top league title but once again after the frustrations and f*ck-ups of Marcus Evans this has to be read as an encouraging news item.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am

THERE IS NO BLOODY TAKEOVER PENDING !!!!!!

It’s the last time I take any notice of you mate 🤣......and for all these years there’s been me thinking you knew what you were talking about 🤣

When I kicked this thread off a week ago I thought something was up but I wasn’t expecting anything to happen this quickly.

One thing for sure tho Mike, Paul Cook definitely is their man and will be backed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm
https://fb.watch/4JERlIFTai/

Our New Owner

Interesting interview but nothing more or less said than what would be expected from a new owner immediately after completion of a takeover. I do have a degree of confidence that the deal is a marked improvement on the current situation and I feel fairly confident that a new CEO has already been identified. My only reservation is that there appears to be no single mega rich owner with unlimited funds as per Leicester City when they were acquired or more recently as seen at Sunderland. Having a newly acquired Company owning the club with multiple owners feels messy and potentially fragmented when it comes to making decisions, I hope I’m wrong. All this said Mike O’Leary sounds fairly straightforward and has a far better pedigree for running a football club than Marcus Evans whose 5% retained interest is also interesting, clearly he thinks there’s a better future ahead. At least it’s not the other Michael O’Leary from Ryanair.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am

THERE IS NO BLOODY TAKEOVER PENDING !!!!!!

It’s the last time I take any notice of you mate 🤣......and for all these years there’s been me thinking you knew what you were talking about 🤣

When I kicked this thread off a week ago I thought something was up but I wasn’t expecting anything to happen this quickly.

One thing for sure tho Mike, Paul Cook definitely is their man and will be backed.
Lol, come on Andy, you've heard of reverse psychology, I did with Norwood the other week and the fat git scored !!
:lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:
YEREEESSSSSSS !!!!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -completed

Just seen the news
I bet you wet yourself with this news Liz, But i did tell you ages ago it would happen sooner than you think?? that was last week if i recall :lol: :lol:
I was driving at the time, when I found out.... had to pull over to air punch and thumb the steering wheel in utter joy...... still can’t believe it’s happened. I suppose the only slight disappointment is that our debt hasn’t been totally wiped out. But guess in the grand scale of things it wont be an issue going forward.

OMG what a busy summer we’re going to have at this Club on all levels . 👍👍👍....watch those ST’ s tickets fly off the shelf now Ash.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 pm

It will be interesting to see just what level of debt we do have left.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 pm
It will certainly have an impact on our ability to spend.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Not surprised by this at all. Its the only reason Paul Cook came to Ipswich. There was no way he would have come to work under Evans.
I tend to agree with Charnwood on the deal and it really needs Cook to get Town motoring.
Evans obviously with his 5% looking to get back some of his losses in the future

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 pm

What I’m struggling to understand is our new owners source of funding, which appears to be coming via ORG Portfolio Management who’s money is sourced from a US Pension Fund.

Can anyone attempt to explain how a pension fund can possibly be authorised to invest in a football club, or indeed how a football club can deem a pension fund as a suitable source of investment.

I don’t want to pour water on our completed deal, but I do have a few questions that need answering before I start celebrating 🥳

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm
I'm just waiting for the haggis basher Marco to comment and say sorry for doubting ASH the informer the man in the know, The Jag Man, come on Marco time to grovel to the old man :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I knew too, Ash...... was just winding you up. Unlike Manuel in Fawlty Towers......, "I know everything!" Just like you! :D

Good stuff, and piece of advice......, if eating Haggis......, take an omeprazole before sleeping......, you don't want a reverse haggis burp in the middle of the night. It'll kill ye, dude. Especially ay your age ya auld bstd! :lol:

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 pm
What I’m struggling to understand is our new owners source of funding, which appears to be coming via ORG Portfolio Management who’s money is sourced from a US Pension Fund.

Can anyone attempt to explain how a pension fund can possibly be authorised to invest in a football club, or indeed how a football club can deem a pension fund as a suitable source of investment.

I don’t want to pour water on our completed deal, but I do have a few questions that need answering before I start celebrating 🥳
I too have the same qualms. It doesn’t quite make sense. For a pension fund it would appear to entail high long term risk and no immediate return. Certainly a strange portfolio, not one for me! However as an 85 year old who remembers watching his first game as a youngster on the open wooden terraces, I hope this works out. I remain a Suffolk lad at heart despite missing all those glorious days working and still living in “furren playces”. Finally we should sincerely thank Marcus Evans for at least keeping The Town afloat.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:15 pm

Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 pm
Finally we should sincerely thank Marcus Evans for at least keeping The Town afloat.
We should definitely thank Marcus Evans for helping Ipswich Town Football Club carry on existing......., yes in monetary terms, "afloat"....., but in Football League pyramid terms, sinking faster than Stephen Hendry's comeback season. But that'll FOREVER be MAINLY Roy Keane's fault.

"The Tampon & Roy Show" from the late naughties ----->> Marcus was like, "WTF is happening here? I thought that guy got Sunderland promoted? He said it's not difficult. WTF IS GOING ON?? That young chap Jordan he let go has scored 14 goals in 2 weeks and that useless Hungarian piece of...... OK, calm. Calm. Relax. Breath Marcus. Breath. Did you shift those South Africa WC tickets yet?"

"Not yet, Sir."

"Well get on that. Need to do something. We're sinking faster than a probable Stephen Hendry comeback season."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:21 pm

From experience, there was a major controversy in Fort Worth because the Police & Fire pension fund was faltering due to a sluggish economy. The fund’s profitability is almost entirely based on market performance. The city’s solution was to cut pay out longevity and require increased deductions from active employees. I’m not sure what the outcome was, but they aren’t protesting anymore.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Around £400'000 I believe BM :roll:

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:52 am

Seems like a good dude, and his heart seems to be in it.

Finally, some life in this club. Legitimately excited to see what this summer brings!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
MOL
: We have repaid approximately £20 million of debt. Marcus has waived the balance of all other debts that were there. Sorry, Marcus hasn’t waived it all, there’s a tiny bit left, about £400,000 of debt that remains, and that’s debt between Ipswich Town PLC and Ipswich Town Limited. That’s the only debt that’s left, and apart from that, the club is debt free
Yep, here in black and white, that is truly amazing 👏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:31 am

Very healthy position indeed. A very million miles from the truth guess would be Marcus read that people didn’t like him so he’s had an “I’ll show them I’m a nice person” moment. Which is great. Another huge thank you to the guy.

Just need the gates open, fans allowed back to full capacity and, as said, a healthy future.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:27 am

Nice Piece about Town in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... changer-20

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
MOL
: We have repaid approximately £20 million of debt. Marcus has waived the balance of all other debts that were there. Sorry, Marcus hasn’t waived it all, there’s a tiny bit left, about £400,000 of debt that remains, and that’s debt between Ipswich Town PLC and Ipswich Town Limited. That’s the only debt that’s left, and apart from that, the club is debt free
Yep, here in black and white, that is truly amazing 👏
Yes I saw that Kate last night .

“ Thank you” Marcus is all I can say . Because Town are essentially debt free 👍🥳...... he has been true to his word hasn’t he .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 pm

This piece from their interview.....
The pension fund that’s the money behind the investment, I understand it’s the pension fund of the fire and police services of a US state, believed to be Arizona. What can you tell is about that?

MOL: It’s classic investment fund where you have a spread of investments so that you have some that are very blue chip, that are all about dividend, you have others that are higher reward type of speculative investments and everything in between.

And they try and balance where they invest so that if certain sectors do well, they will be OK, but if certain sectors do badly, they’re balanced by others that do better.

It just so happens that this market really fits with one of the sectors that is, if you like, part of their profile for investment. They’ve been looking at investing in UK football for a little while, so it’s a happy marriage.

We won’t see much of them, they won’t be involved in the day-to-day running of the club at all. They won’t even have a seat on the board, they’re happy to invest in the fund that ORG has put together so ORG is their custodian in many respects.

And even with ORG, Ed Schwartz, who is the lead there, he’ll sit on the board of GC20 but he’s not going to be spending a lot of time here, he’ll probably visit two or three times a year. Most of the running of the club will be the CEO.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:17 am

Anybody want to stab a guess at the level of funding Paul Cook can expect in the summer to start his rebuild. After of course hitting his target for players being “shown the door”, most of whom many of us will be glad to see the back of.