Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 am

Brett Johnson did say the other week that we’d only keep 10% of the playing staff. Hence, 4 to 5 players. This does seem like a plan with the owners involved and not just a mad Paul Cook culling frenzy. So maybe those lists shouldn’t be too much of a shock.

There’s players in that first eleven who Cook has never seen. El Miz, Donacien, Ndaba, Nolan. Could be he’s not impressed and they head to the 23’s.

Downes wants out - so it’s best to get the best deal and say goodbye. Jackson is obviously surplus.

The one that I can’t work out is Dobra. He’s only 20 and he looks one that has the desire and talent and did ok at the end of the season. Thought he’d be one that Cook fancied. It does feel he’s being punished. Has he got a bad attitude?

Can’t say I’ll be sorry to see Lankester go. Never looked as sharp before his injury and hasn’t got any pace or strength.

Another who could benefit from getting a new start. Good luck to him.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:38 pm
Just seen this … it’s a post in response to a fan stating The Athletic had an article stating Harper ( WBA) had joined Millwall…. To which Phil Ham ( unusually) very forthright here, says ……

Rekeem Harper to Millwall on 21:52 - Jun 24 with 1159 views PhilTWTD

Think they've named the wrong club. He's coming here and it'll be confirmed now the manager has been appointed there.
hallam
The Athletic reporter has now confirmed it was a mistake and the named club should have been Ipswich not Millwall.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 am
Brett Johnson did say the other week that we’d only keep 10% of the playing staff. Hence, 4 to 5 players. This does seem like a plan with the owners involved and not just a mad Paul Cook culling frenzy. So maybe those lists shouldn’t be too much of a shock.

There’s players in that first eleven who Cook has never seen. El Miz, Donacien, Ndaba, Nolan. Could be he’s not impressed and they head to the 23’s.

Downes wants out - so it’s best to get the best deal and say goodbye. Jackson is obviously surplus.

The one that I can’t work out is Dobra. He’s only 20 and he looks one that has the desire and talent and did ok at the end of the season. Thought he’d be one that Cook fancied. It does feel he’s being punished. Has he got a bad attitude?

Can’t say I’ll be sorry to see Lankester go. Never looked as sharp before his injury and hasn’t got any pace or strength.

Another who could benefit from getting a new start. Good luck to him.
The Dobra situation does seem a strange one. As none of us know what really goes on behind closed doors we can only speculate.
If he has been told he can go then who knows the reason. Could be attitude or just a case of Cook does not see him being involved much in the coming season and feels it might be better for his development to move on elsewhere where he can get regular 1st team football.
Still would not surprise me that he ends up staying with us though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am

Like Tang and Shed I am somewhat perplexed by the Dobra situation, he has ability and looks an asset, he was the one player who has openly stated he went to Paul Cook and said he wants to stay and fight for his place, I like that, of course it could just be Cook is saying "ok prove yourself" and earn that place which is fair enough I guess. Again as Shed said I too wouldn't be surprised if he were to stay here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:29 am

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:43 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:32 pm
I get what you mean about Hurst, I was very keen on him coming here but it was a disaster, he did try to change it but did too much too soon and wasn't up to it. As for Chambers I can't knock him tbh Liz, it may have gone sour at the end and there could have been an issue with Cook but for me Chambo was a model pro and good captain of the club.
I'm happy with all that is going on but share Rossi & TAng's views on the style. But Mike doesn't what you wrote above give you just a little niggling worry? Let's hope PC is up to it in a way that PH wasn't.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:45 am

It doesn't give me any worries at all tbh

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 am

One thing else regarding the team - who is a candidate to be captain?

I would think we’re trying to bring in a leader or leaders. There’s a lot of concern about disgruntled players pissed of with Cook, but the captain is a major voice in the changing room. If you bring in the right leader who is aligned with the manager then they can also bring players on board who might not be Cook’s biggest fan. And another thing is, by getting rid of the established senior players any remaining players might just be forced to come together and not be swayed by influential old boys.
That’s not a dig at Chambers or any of the other ex senior pros - but we definitely need a more stronger, winning mentality and we need leaders that haven’t had the last 2-3 years of mediocrity and basically going backwards.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Biggest challenge facing the new captain will be: 'to fist pump or not to fist pump' :D

Assuming there is the opportunity of course :wink:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm

Jack Lankester has as expected joined Cambridge on a two year deal, wish him well.

Just Ward Nydam and Huws yet to find a club.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm
Biggest challenge facing the new captain will be: 'to fist pump or not to fist pump' :D

Assuming there is the opportunity of course :wink:
Can’t remember the last Chambo fist pump. Distant memories. Be interesting if he does it for Col U.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm
Jack Lankester has as expected joined Cambridge on a two year deal, wish him well.

and Jackson

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:25 pm

I see John McGreal is out of work again at Swindon (as they have new owners and have dispensed with his services)..

What money on him returning to Town as PC's assistant manager ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:43 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:32 pm
I get what you mean about Hurst, I was very keen on him coming here but it was a disaster, he did try to change it but did too much too soon and wasn't up to it. As for Chambers I can't knock him tbh Liz, it may have gone sour at the end and there could have been an issue with Cook but for me Chambo was a model pro and good captain of the club.
I'm happy with all that is going on but share Rossi & TAng's views on the style. But Mike doesn't what you wrote above give you just a little niggling worry? Let's hope PC is up to it in a way that PH wasn't.
I think there’s quite a bit of difference between PC and PH. PH was more inexperienced and went up a level he’d never been before whilst Cook has come down a level to where he’s done well.
The three lions and Ashton should offer a bit more ambition and professionalism than Evans.

At the moment, seeing us continue to get rid of more players when we’ve only got a senior squad of eleven makes me feel they have a plan and are going ahead with it. Moving on players when we seem to have a threadbare first team doesn’t show they’re panicking or have any kind of doubt. In a weird way, maybe shows they have confidence in themselves to bring players in.

Come back in 2 weeks time when we’ve brought no-one in and then I’ll be getting jittery.

My main worry is that we’re setting our targets too high and spending too much time chasing Championship players. They can string us along to boost their negotiating hand and then sign for another championship side. I wouldn’t want to miss out on 2nd or 3rd choice targets whilst we p*ss around too long going for someone who’s out of our reach. But Ashton should know all this better than us.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm

They’ve all been let go already KB.

Oh … I see what you mean. Still without a club after being released. Hope Nydam finds something soon.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:59 pm

Incoming on Town Facebook, Harper on a three year deal 👏👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Yip just seen it …on FB too ….get in there 👍💙🥂🥳

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -confirmed

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Ooh yeah, great new on a great signing. Harper is here

Get in There !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 pm

I need to get my teeth whitened.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 pm

How many more signings can we anticipate before the new season? That’s 3 in the bed…5,6,7???

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:54 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 pm
I need to get my teeth whitened.
You did anyway!…English teeth! :D

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 am

Asked a mate who supports Brum about Harper as they had him on loan. He said he has a lot of potential but is lazy. Said he could be immense in league one with the right manager.
He came across well in his interview - seemed to be excited and raring to go.

Sounds like this could be a success but only if Cook can push the right buttons and get the best out of him, you’d think Cook could do that so let’s hope.
Certainly a risk this one and I always believe that there the environment needs to be right, ie the dressing room, how the senior players set the tone etc.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 am
Asked a mate who supports Brum about Harper as they had him on loan. He said he has a lot of potential but is lazy. Said he could be immense in league one with the right manager.

Sounds like this could be a success but only if Cook can push the right buttons and get the best out of him, you’d think Cook could do that so let’s hope.
Certainly a risk this one and I always believe that there the environment needs to be right, ie the dressing room, how the senior players set the tone etc.
I'm thinking this signing could go one way or another, he I'm sure has the ability if we can bring it out he could go to the top but you often see young players that just do not step up to a higher level, He could and let's hope he will be a great signing but why did West Brom let him go? Maybe a new start is just what he needs.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:54 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 am
shabba wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 am

I'm thinking this signing could go one way or another, he I'm sure has the ability if we can bring it out he could go to the top but you often see young players that just do not step up to a higher level, He could and let's hope he will be a great signing but why did West Brom let him go? Maybe a new start is just what he needs.
KB
From reading on the West Brom forums as shabba said it appears the lad has potential but for whatever reason hasn't lived up to the early hype of when he first played for them.
For me it sounds very much like the situation with Dozzell when he was with us, you could see he has ability but on too many occasions he failed to live up to expectations. Hopefully a change of club will be what he needs to get his career back on track.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:11 am

Very pleased with this signing, I liked what I saw on the YouTube clips although as has been said they can be misleading, I think Harper should be a big player in L1 and in Cook we definitely have a motivational manager so no worries on that score.

Tang, regarding the captain, I am not sure he is actually at the club yet, I'm not sure of the credentials of Evans or Burns in that department and looking at our retained list nobody jumps out at me, Nolan maybe but a very quiet individual and not really a leader, I'm not even sure he'll be first team material on a regular basis, I think along with 2 CB's, 2 Strikers, LB, LW, CM etc we also need to recruit a captain.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:14 am

Interesting reading the article(s) for the EADT. ( https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town )

There is always the inconsistencies you get with a younger player to consider, but hopefully Rakeem is now reaching an age where his performances will be more steady. It is also hard to garner much when a player has, at times, had more experienced players keeping him out of the first team. He has worked under some pretty well known managers too, who have varying styles of how their teams set up to play. Perhaps a stable environment somewhere where the manager isn't replaced on a regular basis will be a huge help to him.

There seems to be a lot of good qualities to Harper, though some hints of laziness and confidence issues. I think PC would have left him in no doubt about the high performance level he wants his team to play at, so credit to Harper for not shying away from signing.

I am delighted to see these new players coming in and believe Paul Cook will have not left any stone unturned in his recruitment policy. What we don't want is another JET, absolutely sublime on odd occasions, but very frustrating for the majority. We are a L1 side, so perfection in any signing is way out of our league, and that we must always remember, however that said we can't really get any worse than the underperforming squad of 2020/21!

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am

JET!! What a blast from the last that name was. Made me smile.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:42 am

McCauley Bonne coming here on a season long loan?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... iker-bonne

Have to say - this doesn’t get me that excited.

3 goals in 34 games last year for QPR. Not that exciting. Mind you, playing 34 games at Championship level - nothing to be sniffed at. Hmmmm… think we can do better.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:43 am

Town are close to confirming the signing of QPR striker Macauley Bonne on a season-long loan.

TWTD revealed earlier that the Blues are targeting the 25-year-old but we understand the deal is much further progressed than we initially reported and could be announced as soon as today.

Rumours that Bone was interesting the Blues first surfaced in mid-May when there were claims that the Ipswich-born Zimbabwe international would be part of a swap deal with Andre Dozzell.

This was dismissed at the time - Dozzell eventually made the move for a £1 million fee - and earlier this month reports in West London indicated that Rangers wanted to keep hold of Bonne despite a first season at Loftus Road in which he scored only three goals in nine starts and 26 sub appearances.

However, we understand Paul Cook is very keen to bring Bonne back to Town, where he was a schoolboy in the academy and QPR are more open to the move than had been previously suggested, although on loan rather than permanently.

Having been released by the Blues, the one-time Chantry High School pupil moved on to Norwich’s youth set-up and then Colchester where he broke into their first team early in the 2013/14 season.

While at the JobServe Community Stadium he spent time on loan at Lincoln City and Woking and in his four years with the U’s netted 15 times in 25 starts and 59 sub appearances.

Bonne moved to Leyton Orient in July 2017 where he enjoyed an impressive two years scoring 45 goals in 89 league starts and one sub appearance.

That form attracted Charlton Athletic, who he joined in June 2019 and where he found the net 12 times in 32 starts and eight sub appearances before moving to QPR for a reported £2 million in October last year.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 am

You beat me Tang, I agree I'm not sure about him scored plenty for Orient in the National league I'm glad it's only a loan.