Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:53 pm

I said a couple of weeks ago Besant Celina would be the next quality signing, and he is quality regardless of what BM and others on here say about him, also Walton is a Quality GK other wise Brighton wouldn't have him on their books, and he will go straight into the side FACT, if we can get Morsy from Boro it will be a bonus, wages wont be a problem and remember we are building for the future promotion, so watch this space.

But I know Ashton has other irons in the fire for a quality defender/Captain material player, and we must remember the promotion challenge can come as late as halfway through the season, so for me its early days just yet and team gelling time.

It will happen but I see a late push halfway through the season.

Now If I was PC I would arrange a friendly with Cardiff City as they haven't got a game this week either, it will see how far the team building process has come along so far, plus it will be a good training run out against better opposition.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:16 pm

Cook had said that he didn't want many loans but we now have too many I believe, saying that if we can sign them permanently next season if good enough that's fine if not we are then having to build again for the Championship ( I'm still confident )😂

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3757
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:35 pm
No idea with Celina, what worries me more is that we're considering bringing in more players in posistions where we've already signed a hatful. One of the very first things that Cook said when he turned up is that the squad is far too large. Aren't we just doing that again, haven't we got enough of these types of players now, what does that say of Cook's confidence in them, would they really be happy to be signed and then plonked on the bench or worse.

Really makes me question signings like Aluko. We've made the mistake with mulitple managers of panicking and bringing in poor singings, bloating the squad and unsettling things in the squad (and in the accountant's office) rather than bringing in more quality. Hmmmmm unsettles me too.
Makes you wonder if Cook is calling all the shots as far as player recruitment is concerned.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24426
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm

Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will. His heart problems are another concern, he's been given a clean bill of health to return to action in a few weeks, another sicknote.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1157
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will. His heart problems are another concern, he's been given a clean bill of health to return to action in a few weeks, another sicknote.
Got to say i'm with you totally with this Mike. Totally agree

Lets look at the whole team, it glares out where our problems lay. Scoring twice in three games should at least be 7 points and not only 3

Every game we played in should of possibly won. Our defence must be top priority. Looking at the games its not just the goals we have scored but also how we have carved open teams, so forward attacking play we are good at.
Then back to our defence. How many goals have we conceded from set pieces and through being caught out in possession? In other words our fault?
We need leaders and not just players with armbands but players who lead through example and players who are good at seeing the game, changing play and just stopping the errors. to conced straight after we scored our second goal was criminal and that last minute corner..

Keep hearing Edmundson but how long will it take him to get fully up to match fitness?

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will. His heart problems are another concern, he's been given a clean bill of health to return to action in a few weeks, another sicknote.
Got to say i'm with you totally with this Mike. Totally agree

Lets look at the whole team, it glares out where our problems lay. Scoring twice in three games should at least be 7 points and not only 3

Every game we played in should of possibly won. Our defence must be top priority. Looking at the games its not just the goals we have scored but also how we have carved open teams, so forward attacking play we are good at.
Then back to our defence. How many goals have we conceded from set pieces and through being caught out in possession? In other words our fault?
We need leaders and not just players with armbands but players who lead through example and players who are good at seeing the game, changing play and just stopping the errors. to conced straight after we scored our second goal was criminal and that last minute corner..

Keep hearing Edmundson but how long will it take him to get fully up to match fitness?
Agree we need more leaders on the pitch. Especially now. If we want to add more attacking options then wait to the January window. Just get the backbone of the team in place. Centre of defence and central midfield. Get that right and we’ve got so many attacking options already even without Celina.
Players that are injured can become better players by just not playing and I wonder that about Edmundson. Hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet, but we’re expecting him to be the missing piece. I hope so, but feels a bit desperate. I’d much rather we get a tough, uncompromising ball winner in midfield than Celina. And by the end of the day, I hope we will. If the Celina deal falls through, but we get a Morsy-type player then I’ll be happy.

But as has been said before, we should be a lot happier with our squad than a year ago. Not questioning the quality of the players, but need to get the balance right.

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am

Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7430
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 am

Celina signing confirmed on season loan.
Already made my thoughts known on this and as tang said just hope we get a ball winning DM in today.

hallamblue
Posts: 26700
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am

I’d personally say getting a player of Celina’s quality to agree to sign is a bit of a coup for a League One Club - so I’m in no doubt Ashton will secure a DCM of similar quality too .

It’s going to be a busy final day - when was the last time we could ever say that at ITFC!


Edit: I would add that there seems to be this feeling that Cook and Ashton are in some way ignoring the need for defensive players to be brought in . I’d suggest people have got that totally wrong . Ashton is working on several players deals simultaneously. Some just take longer than others ( mainly due to who our target is and their wanting to secure their replacement etc)….. patience

Kerry Blue
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 am

Lets hope we can also get some out today and not have to pay them off.

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am
I’d personally say getting a player of Celina’s quality to agree to sign is a bit of a coup for a League One Club - so I’m in no doubt Ashton will secure a DCM of similar quality too .

It’s going to be a busy final day - when was the last time we could ever say that at ITFC!


Edit: I would add that there seems to be this feeling that Cook and Ashton are in some way ignoring the need for defensive players to be brought in . I’d suggest people have got that totally wrong . Ashton is working on several players deals simultaneously. Some just take longer than others ( mainly due to who our target is and their wanting to secure their replacement etc)….. patience
Im sure they are and by kicking off going for tough experienced players like Sonny Bradley and Crooks shows they focused on that from the start. Would have thought they’d have sorted that out by now, or at least, get some experienced back-up in, instead of someone like Saluko.

I do think they’ll get someone in today, but it’s not only leaving it late, but we’re waiting on other deals to go through so a player can become available. A lot of that is out of our control and Ashton can’t be patient anymore. I guess Ashton has to not only hold his nerve, but know when to pull the plug and go for the next taxi on the rank.
Could be an exciting day going ahead and also hoping to see a few unwanted ones head out the door.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24426
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am
Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.
For me its pointless but time will tell, hope I wrong again as I didn't believe he would come back.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 am
Lets hope we can also get some out today and not have to pay them off.
Agreed, Jackson and Kenlock namely, as these guys look to be on the ITFC scrapheap.

I guess there are several ways to look at the Celina signing, many appear not to want him. While i agree totally about the overload of attack minded players and his lack of defensive nous. I want to look at the positives: Signing an International player like this is a huge statement for a League One side and hopefully with the undoubted quality our team possesses now, it makes it that bit easier to encourage other quality players to sign (i am thinking Morsey and/or a marque defensive signing. Certainly lets see where we are at come the close of the transfer window and then pick holes in what we have or haven't got.
While only a loan this season, hopefully if Bersant has a good season, he already possesses the Championship quality/experience and will likely become a permanent signing should promotion be achieved. While we are only talking 'ifs', if he can score or create goals which win us games it must be a win-win for us.

In summary: Would i have signed Celina knowing our current squad position and frailties? No, especially with Edwards playing like he is.
Would i have signed him if he was one of Paul Cooks first transfer signings after last season's debacle? I'd have ripped your arm off and driven to France to collect him.

One thing that i have not seen mentioned which will bring an extra buzz and joy to the SBR Lower......... "Da da da da da da da da Celina" :lol:

BlueBalls
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by BlueBalls » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 am

All teams need a bit of flair.

I think the international break will do us good. Itll allow us a bit of extra time on the training pitch with all the new signings and we'll begin a winning run Bolton onwards.

Wycombe have done us a favour.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:05 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 am
All teams need a bit of flair.

I think the international break will do us good. Itll allow us a bit of extra time on the training pitch with all the new signings and we'll begin a winning run Bolton onwards.

Wycombe have done us a favour.
I agree. In past we might have bemoaned international breaks, but i feel this comes at the perfect time. We have 2 very new signings, plus any other deadline day dealings, all of whom will benefit from a week and a half training. Surely we must also hope to have Edmundsen available for the Bolton game?

Magicmark
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Magicmark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 am
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am
Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.
For me its pointless but time will tell, hope I wrong again as I didn't believe he would come back.
Could be the missing link😊,the defence should of been the priory from the start though,unlucky with Edmondsons injury,should of had better cover.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:31 am

summary: Would i have signed Celina knowing our current squad position and frailties? No, especially with Edwards playing like he is.
Would i have signed him if he was one of Paul Cooks first transfer signings after last season's debacle? I'd have ripped your arm off and driven to France to collect him.

Agree 100% 👍

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24426
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am

All I will say is let's not start ripping into the Fullbacks when they are left cruelly exposed because Celina doesn't/Won't track back, he did it with superb regularity

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am

It is weird how Cook basically sacked 80% of the squad because of their attitudes and then brings back a player who probably has a similar or worse attitude than any of them...

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am
All I will say is let's not start ripping into the Fullbacks when they are left cruelly exposed because Celina doesn't/Won't track back, he did it with superb regularity
That’s how I feel at the minute. Our weakness hasn’t been in their final third - and Edwards/Burns looked pretty good last game - but in our final third. Someone has got to work that extra bit harder to compensate for Celina. If he’s making and scoring goals regularly- then fair play, but not sure he’s cut out for League One. He’ll get targeted and he could easily be a sulky, peripheral figure.
Maybe tomorrow when the window has closed we can look at this in a better way, especially if we bring in a player or two who stiffens things up.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24426
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am
All I will say is let's not start ripping into the Fullbacks when they are left cruelly exposed because Celina doesn't/Won't track back, he did it with superb regularity
That’s how I feel at the minute. Our weakness hasn’t been in their final third - and Edwards/Burns looked pretty good last game - but in our final third. Someone has got to work that extra bit harder to compensate for Celina. If he’s making and scoring goals regularly- then fair play, but not sure he’s cut out for League One. He’ll get targeted and he could easily be a sulky, peripheral figure.
Maybe tomorrow when the window has closed we can look at this in a better way, especially if we bring in a player or two who stiffens things up.
Here here, I Desperately keep looking for rumours/links to DM about to come in, so far nothing, should that happen the Celina deal becomes less of a negative for me. Early days as far as deadline day goes.

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmmmmm….. from Football Insider” Middlesbrough have agreed to sign Rennes midfielder James Lea-Siliki on loan“.

Could this be the opening to get Morsy?

If this is one of the stumbling blocks - then it could pave the way. Assuming he wants to leave Boro, we can beat other Championship clubs and is ok to drop a division. Wouldn’t rule it out quite yet.

hallamblue
Posts: 26700
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am
It is weird how Cook basically sacked 80% of the squad because of their attitudes and then brings back a player who probably has a similar or worse attitude than any of them...
Do you think Cook and Ashton won’t have considered this potential problem ? Why would they suddenly go for a player who they perceive might have an attitude or be lazy ? He simply wouldn’t fit the ethos now at the Club. Maybe Celina just didn’t like McCarthys methods ? I don’t know . And if it is z as “ bad acquisition “, we’ll he’s only on loan isn’t he .

User avatar
bluejacko
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 3:48 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by bluejacko » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am
It is weird how Cook basically sacked 80% of the squad because of their attitudes and then brings back a player who probably has a similar or worse attitude than any of them...
IIRC wasn’t Celina one of the players who McCarthy said the more the fans chant his name he won’t get on?
No wonder he might have had the hump!

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:13 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm
Hmmmmm….. from Football Insider” Middlesbrough have agreed to sign Rennes midfielder James Lea-Siliki on loan“.

Could this be the opening to get Morsy?

If this is one of the stumbling blocks - then it could pave the way. Assuming he wants to leave Boro, we can beat other Championship clubs and is ok to drop a division. Wouldn’t rule it out quite yet.
Tang I think we will see Morsy as a blue before the deadline window shuts tonight, Warnock was waiting to get the midfielder Siliki signed before contemplating the Morsy loan out, also Boro have another midfielder on the verge of signing, so that will be at least 6 midfielders on their books, so I think Morsy will arrive today.
If not we have other options on the card, I'm so pleased Selina has moved here he will bring that certain touch of class to the midfield.

hallamblue
Posts: 26700
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm
Hmmmmm….. from Football Insider” Middlesbrough have agreed to sign Rennes midfielder James Lea-Siliki on loan“.

Could this be the opening to get Morsy?

If this is one of the stumbling blocks - then it could pave the way. Assuming he wants to leave Boro, we can beat other Championship clubs and is ok to drop a division. Wouldn’t rule it out quite yet.

As I’ve said earlier , I suspect he’s been on our radar the whole window . He’s well known to Cook ( was his former captain I think 🤔), which would explain his comment a few weeks ago about the captain not even being in the building yet! But, we’ve had to wait until Boro have their replacement it seems. I’ll be equally excited about Morsy coming in as I am about Celina . It’s all about a rounded squad isn’t it . I have absolutely no doubt that Cook / Ashton have been well aware of our weaknesses in the newly assembled team , sometimes it just takes games to flush them out into the open ….. and they’re acting on it . Walton GK and hopefully Morsy DCM, but if not him someone very much in that mold . 🤞🤞

Hang in their guys x

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:25 pm

Still interest? Or EADT drumming up drama?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... st-8285376

Amazes me on deadline day that deals go right through to the wire.

Would have thought multiple agreements between all parties, other deals having to coming off, paperwork and medicals to be done takes quite a bit of time. Yet They’re still talking about other options if Morsy doesn’t come off.

What about medicals? Morsy or any other player can’t be at the club (unless he’s here under the radar) and there’s only a few hours left. If we get someone signed up before the deadline, is there a proviso that they must pass a medical at a later date?

Bit of a crazy day for all and I wouldn’t expect any club wanting to leave it this late.

hallamblue
Posts: 26700
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:46 pm

I know…it’s isn’t good for the heart is it, all this last minute stress lol :lol:

Interestingly, there’s no other DCM player rumoured to be in the mix is there?

Edit, does a medical have to be done at the club or can it be done anywhere else?

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm
Do you think Cook and Ashton won’t have considered this potential problem ? Why would they suddenly go for a player who they perceive might have an attitude or be lazy ? He simply wouldn’t fit the ethos now at the Club. Maybe Celina just didn’t like McCarthys methods ? I don’t know . And if it is z as “ bad acquisition “, we’ll he’s only on loan isn’t he .
To clarify I was questioning not criticising. Of course every player will be carefully considered by them, but we have seen before that many things can sway decisions. I'm not saying this is the case, but we have seen teams here struggle at the start of seasons before and then we go in to the market for players we wouldn't normally out of a twang of worry, desperation perhaps. "what's the harm in one more, will surely only add more quality"... that's not always the case. Also he's a big coup at this level, so even if his face didn't fit in some way, or the squad was large enough, it would be hard to turn down the opportunity, even if it introduced risks.

I don't know enough about Celina and far less than they know, so I'll trust them on it, I just feel a bit sorry for some of the genuine players that have been brought in, have performed well in that role and now see their place in the side threatened.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24426
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:40 pm

Morsy isn't happening, forget that one.

Post Reply