Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Lol yes ….long may it continue . It has felt a really friendly place again over recent months. I’d hate that to end now.

We played well last night Charny….just couldn’t stick it in the net.on another day we’d have won that by 5 or 6 goals.The signs are very encouraging in these very early days. 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:25 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Didn't try to affend Mr Hallam (Les) at all. Personally I would of been happy if he was sacked after the drink driving. Les will call me a scum fan now normally does. :roll:
This style of posting reminds me of someone else ….I hope I’m wrong.
No you're not wrong, I got a good idea of who it can be. Would be unfair to name names but you don't need Hercule Poirot on this issue. Not a Norwich fan that much I can ascertain, their knowledge of this club and highlighted statistics would be alien to any fan other than a long-standing enthusiast of this team.

Something also keeping harmomy within the forum. It's the only way to prevail, f*ck it there's or two names i can't abide but you just refrain and focus attention elsewhere. We're only a small community, i ain't no sycophant or brown-noser but this site beats TWTD hands-down at least in terms of a messageboard where you can join in and free of damn advertisements. Those who come on intent on trouble and causing a scene may do well to remember that.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Didn't try to affend Mr Hallam (Les) at all. Personally I would of been happy if he was sacked after the drink driving. Les will call me a scum fan now normally does. :roll:
Hi Hallam, i know i had a bit of a rammy with you a while back but 100% assure you i'm not tinytown !!!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 am

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Hi Hallam, i know i had a bit of a rammy with you a while back but 100% assure you i'm not tinytown !!!!!

You’re not the one who some think Tiny is the alter ego of, Valley. No stress, dude. 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:48 am

Will we make a CB signing in time for him to be eligible for the Burton game?
I know we have Edmundsen, that we missed out on one of our very earliest targets in Sonny Bradley and we have also been linked with the young Everton lad, but considering the plethora of attack minded players we have signed, i must admit to being a tad dismayed at our lack of defensive signings. Ok I wouldn't want us to make a panic buy, but i do wonder if we would have garnered more than just a single point against Morecambe, if we had more defensive options. Ok, so you can't account for injuries like Toto's, and no doubt had Wolfie been on the bench, he would have come on as Nsiala's replacement, so back to square one.

I love the potential scoring options we have at our disposal, but all good sides need a solid defense. Liverpool are the classic case: Only when they signed Virgil van Dijk (and a better keeper) did they suddenly have the armoury to go on and win the title. I believe it is no coincidence that last season following van Dijk's season ending injury, that Liverpool struggled to be serious contenders.

So, what i want to ask is: What has prevented us from signing a second decent CB? Is it a geniune shortage of quality players in that position? Are we waiting on one of the Top 2 leagues sides to get their season's rolling before they make surplus players available? Any thoughts?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:37 am

I am wondering if CB is the area where our targets have to date not come off and we have had to look elsewhere and in doing this has delayed things. To be honest I don't see it that we missed out on Bradley, that was a really audacious bid to prize a top asset away from a higher league club which rarely happens so for me yes we failed to get him but I cannot for the life of me see that we built our hopes around him definitely coming here.

I think we have maybe been after someone else in this area that for whatever reason we have not got our man ? I am hoping we see another Kyle Edwards type deal suddenly appear without any of us hearing a ting beforehand. All I do know is I do not want to go with Woolfenden any longer than we have to to be honest.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:38 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:48 am
Will we make a CB signing in time for him to be eligible for the Burton game?
I know we have Edmundsen, that we missed out on one of our very earliest targets in Sonny Bradley and we have also been linked with the young Everton lad, but considering the plethora of attack minded players we have signed, i must admit to being a tad dismayed at our lack of defensive signings. Ok I wouldn't want us to make a panic buy, but i do wonder if we would have garnered more than just a single point against Morecambe, if we had more defensive options. Ok, so you can't account for injuries like Toto's, and no doubt had Wolfie been on the bench, he would have come on as Nsiala's replacement, so back to square one.

I love the potential scoring options we have at our disposal, but all good sides need a solid defense. Liverpool are the classic case: Only when they signed Virgil van Dijk (and a better keeper) did they suddenly have the armoury to go on and win the title. I believe it is no coincidence that last season following van Dijk's season ending injury, that Liverpool struggled to be serious contenders.

So, what i want to ask is: What has prevented us from signing a second decent CB? Is it a geniune shortage of quality players in that position? Are we waiting on one of the Top 2 leagues sides to get their season's rolling before they make surplus players available? Any thoughts?
I think you need to remember that we haven't finished buying yet & are a work in progress. Give it time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:19 am

We’re not too far off with the squad. 1 or 2 CB’s and a CM. Still got a couple of weeks left.

We’ll get someone, but it all depends if they’re the one we really want or the one who’s been passed over.

It could be some movement from PL to Championship or vise-versa means that a player becomes available. As a League One club who are trying to buy from a level above, we might have to wait a bit. Some players could be waiting for an offer from a Championship club which doesn’t come and then we’re next on the list where they suddenly want to buy into our project.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:28 pm

Oh it has definitely shown how things have a knock on effect when you look to how we so nearly signed Jacobs until an even more favoured target, Edwards, became available. As alluded to above, maybe our prime defensive target is reliant on the selling club finding the player who will succeed that person. Who knows!

I don't wish to appear to be worrying too much, yes disappointed in ways, however i have every faith that we will have all the players and positions taken care of before the transfer window closes, of that i have very little doubt. Whether that player is our 1st or 3rd choice remains to be seen. I hold out in the hope that any CB will be captain material with good experience, someone we will all look at and think "wow, how did we pull that one off"!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:51 pm

Totally agree on all these comments above! Also maybe we needed to secure the Downes money to help balance the books if the new CB needs a fee.

I think we may need to wait right upto the transfer deadline on this one, and its fine as better to get the best possible player for the remaining 40 games than a lower choice now for 45 games. The club have done an amazing job in getting so many quality players here already, so we need to be patient and let this one happen when it happens.

It might not even be this season, sometimes building a team takes time and you cannot get 10/10 of what you want.

Lets just wait and see, it's not like we have nobody for that position at present -i.e like liverpool last season when midfielders had to play at CB.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:45 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm
Talking of CB's

https://www.footballfancast.com/ipswich ... f-chambers
Not sure how accurate this info is, but apparently he’s out injured for a few weeks with an ankle injury. Would we sign another injured player? Doesn’t fit the experienced CB mould - unless he’s the second CB.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Town are reported to be showing interest in Accrington Stanley centre midfielder Matt Butcher.

According to the Portsmouth News, Pompey are keen on Butcher (pictured left) but with a fee payable this summer are prepared to wait a year until he is out of contract before making their move.

They report Town are also showing interest in the 24-year-old, who is a Portsmouth supporter having been born in the town.

Butcher, who can also operate at centre-half, came through the ranks at AFC Bournemouth, where he made one League Cup sub appearance.

While with the Cherries the 6ft 2in tall midfielder spent time on loan at Gosport Borough, Poole Town, Woking, Yeovil Town and St Johnstone before moving to Stanley on a permanent basis in the summer of 2020 for an undisclosed fee, signing a two-year deal.

Butcher has started both Accrington’s games this season, scoring in last Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Wycombe, having made 45 starts and four sub appearances last season, netting twice.

Need an experienced centre half first🙄

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:11 am

Just seen this from TWTD. From tweet from bbc Lancashire sportswriter.

“Understand that Accrington defender Cameron Burgess is set to join Ipswich. Its a massive blow for Stanley, he’s been excellent for them.”

Left-sided CB. 25 years old. Kind of sounds legit.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:48 am

Not sure who Andy Bayes is, Tang…any ideas?

Andy Bayes
@AndyBayes
Understand that Accrington defender Cameron Burgess is set to join Ipswich. Its a massive blow for Stanley, he’s been excellent for them. #asfc #ipswich #itfc @BBCLancsSport

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:48 am

Andy Bayes
@AndyBayes
Understand that Accrington defender Cameron Burgess is set to join Ipswich. Its a massive blow for Stanley, he’s been excellent for them. #asfc #ipswich #itfc @BBCLancsSport
Sports editor for bbc radio Lancashire. Would have thought he’s a solid source.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Burgess won the most Aerial balls in League One last season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:02 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:48 am

Andy Bayes
@AndyBayes
Sports editor for bbc radio Lancashire. Would have thought he’s a solid source.
Hope it happens . We need it too anyway

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Looks like it’s genuine. Watson from the EADT on it.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ss-8237232

Looks a bit of a beast of a CB.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:42 pm
Looks like it’s genuine. Watson from the EADT on it.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ss-8237232

Looks a bit of a beast of a CB.
Beat me to it Tang! Fee agreed and at an advanced stage so sounds promising.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Looks a done deal 😁👍can’t come soon enough

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... n-defender

But still feel we would need another CB of a similar ilke

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Good stuff, even though AS conceded 68 goals to our 46 last season, but I'm sure it's progress!!

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:05 pm

just announced him, another good signing!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:34 pm

Not heard of the name before now but we'll allow the kid a chance if nothing else. (Read that) Tall and can cause problems from set-pieces if allowed to move up field. I don't get to see the team as much as others but aware defense has been a concern and problematic for us on occasion. Hopefully another piece of a jigsaw that over time can come together and show results.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Great signing. Sounds like some leadership at the back.

This is just what the other defenders need. Someone with enough league experience to guide them. Woolfy really could do with some help. He is often caught in no mans land between whether to go to his man or stand off.

Having a strong voice behind him will help him develop. But it sounds like we have really invested in two strong centre backs and some hard working players around them.

This is the key to this division, I feel we have goals in us now, so keeping them out will give everyone confidence to make that extra yard, extra pass, extra movement

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:09 pm

wilnisfan wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:46 pm

This is just what the other defenders need. Someone with enough league experience to guide them. Woolfy really could do with some help. He is often caught in no mans land between whether to go to his man or stand off.

Having a strong voice behind him will help him develop. But it sounds like we have really invested in two strong centre backs and some hard working players around them.

This is the key to this division, I feel we have goals in us now, so keeping them out will give everyone confidence to make that extra yard, extra pass, extra movement
Well I hope he’s a leader. Hopeful he can do a good job for us.

As for Woolfenden, why should we bring in CB’s to play alongside him and babysit him? He’s got to do his job and earn the right to be in the team. He should have enough experience now to know the basics of defending.

If Woolfy isn’t up to it……. there’s the door. Don’t think Cook will waste any time developing players …. It’s his job on the line.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:19 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:09 pm
wilnisfan wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Well I hope he’s a leader. Hopeful he can do a good job for us.

As for Woolfenden, why should we bring in CB’s to play alongside him and babysit him? He’s got to do his job and earn the right to be in the team. He should have enough experience now to know the basics of defending.

If Woolfy isn’t up to it……. there’s the door. Don’t think Cook will waste any time developing players …. It’s his job on the line.
I think Woolfy has been giving more than enough time to improve. I'd be surprised if he stays in the first team after we get adequate reinforcements. This Burgess fella is big at 6'4" and appears to be athletic. I'm not sure if he's a leader, but he's exactly what we need physically. Shore up the defence and we may actually start winning.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Manager John Coleman said: "I certainly didn't want to lose him, but you can't deny Cam the opportunity to earn three or four times his wages here and he leaves with all our best wishes.

"He went through the pain barrier on Tuesday to play a game for us and he was prepared to do exactly the same yesterday, so I think that tells you everything you need to know about the lad."

Everyone at the club wishes Cameron all the very best for the future.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm

I hope both our new CB’s get in the team ASAP : we bloody need them now ! Both are around 6ft4ins tall I think / so that’ll be a new thing for us.

When everyone is fit my team would be ;

Hladky

Burns
Edmundson
Burgess
Coulson

Evans
Harper

Edwards
Fraser
Norwood

Pigott

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:37 pm

I would have KVY at RB and Burns instead of the waste of space that is James Norwood.