Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23930
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:19 pm

Town are reported to be among a number of clubs interested in Preston North End striker Jayden Stockley but with Portsmouth believed to be the favourites for the 27-year-old’s signature.

According to the Lancashire Post, Charlton looked to be the Poole-born frontman’s destination after a loan spell in which he scored eight times in the second half of 2020/21.

However, Pompey are now understood to have been given permission to talk to the former AFC Bournemouth trainee, while Town and Rotherham are also said to have shown interest.

Stockley joined Preston from Exeter for £750,000 in January 2019 but it’s thought that they will have to accept a lower fee this summer, perhaps around £400,000 to £500,000.

Prior to his time with the Grecians, Stockley was with Aberdeen, having been on loan at Accrington, Woking, Leyton Orient, Torquay, Cambridge United, Luton, Portsmouth and then Exeter while with the Cherries.

He worked under Paul Cook in his spells at both Accrington and Portsmouth.

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:38 pm

Any player that’s played under Cookie , must know what he’s like and (want?) to play under him again?......well I hope so

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:31 pm

I saw on TW that Bishop had played 1843 minutes more than Norwood and had scored just one more goal, I like the look of Pigott he has scored 47 times in 137 matches in a poor side.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Matt Crooks from Rotherham could be next.I



The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that the Blues will make a bid for the 27-year-old, who is now heading into the final year of his contract.


Crooks - who stands at 6ft 4in tall and can play in central midfield, as a No.10 or up top - scored 11 goals as the Millers were promoted back to the Championship in 2019/20, including a brace against Ipswich at the New York Stadium.

Subsequent interest from Nottingham Forest dissipated and he went on to score seven goals and provide three assists for Rotherham in the season just gone, being named Championship Player of the Month for January, as Paul Warne's men suffered relegation heartbreak on a dramatic final day.

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Also linked with Pompey POTY GK

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... er-8035908

Seems they can’t offer a contract extension as have to cut wage bill.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm
Also linked with Pompey POTY GK

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... er-8035908

Seems they can’t offer a contract extension as have to cut wage bill.
Looks good but might get offer from championship club.

shabba
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by shabba » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm
Also linked with Pompey POTY GK

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... er-8035908

Seems they can’t offer a contract extension as have to cut wage bill.
Looks good but might get offer from championship club.
Indeed, but then this part could be vital as I imagine some keepers have a close bond with their GK coach? Something feels very logical about this happening if the coach already came here, he will no doubt be speaking to the GK about town etc.

"MacGillivray will be a familiar face to new Ipswich goalkeeping coach John Keeley, who has joined up with Cook this summer having spent the last three years working with the Scottish keeper at Pompey. "

tangfastic
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:50 am

I can’t help feel Matt Crooks might be a bit out of our reach. Bit like Sonny Bradley. I think Championship clubs will be after him and we could struggle with fee/wages, especially as we’ve got to stay within the EFL budget. If it doesn’t happen, hopefully it’s not a long-protracted saga where he’s using us to boost his negotiating hand. If we get him, nice work.

The Pompey keeper seems like he’d be decent. We need to start shipping out players as well if we want to bring in others.

verulam
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: St Albans

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by verulam » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:54 pm

I see that Jonny Williams has been released by Cardiff and has gone into the Euros without a club. Still just 27 - may be worth a punt - or do we see him as too much of a risk with regard to injuries?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23930
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 pm

A total liability with injuries tbh

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Club still waiting on a response from Edwards it seems , re his new contract offer. If I had my way I’d not even have offered him one. He clearly doesn’t want to stay her. So shove off mate. I’d withdraw the offer.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ds-8040218

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Ben Morris has signed a one year contract, I wish him well so unlucky with injuries.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm
Club still waiting on a response from Edwards it seems , re his new contract offer. If I had my way I’d not even have offered him one. He clearly doesn’t want to stay her. So shove off mate. I’d withdraw the offer.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ds-8040218
He doesn't fit into the mold of 'Committed Player' does he?? I wish he'd just bugger off!

User avatar
barmy billy
Posts: 2726
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wherever I rest my head

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by barmy billy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm
Club still waiting on a response from Edwards it seems , re his new contract offer. If I had my way I’d not even have offered him one. He clearly doesn’t want to stay her. So shove off mate. I’d withdraw the offer.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ds-8040218

He doesn't fit into the mold of 'Committed Player' does he?? I wish he'd just bugger off!

User avatar
barmy billy
Posts: 2726
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wherever I rest my head

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by barmy billy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Sorry about the above. Me cocking it up as usual.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23930
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Signing number Three ???
TWTD understands the Blues are closing in on the permanent signing of West Brom central midfielder Rekeem Harper.

The 21-year-old, who we understand will cost Town around £500,000, came through the ranks at the Hawthorns having joined the club as a 12-year-old.

He was handed his Premier League debut in August 2017 aged only 17 when he became only the second player born in the 2000s to play in the top flight.

The Birmingham-born schemer has gone on to make 17 senior starts - seven in the league - and 14 sub appearances for the Baggies, scoring twice.

Harper, who is 6ft 2in tall, spent time on loan at Blackburn Rovers in 2017/18 and ended last season at Birmingham City.

The former England U17 and U19 international looks set to become the Blues’ third addition of the summer with the transfer window officially opening today.

Last week, forward or right-back Wes Burns joined from Fleetwood for an undisclosed fee and midfielder Lee Evans signed on a free from Wigan.

Town are also continuing their pursuit of another central midfielder, Rotherham United’s Matt Crooks.

Harper’s signing would add to the West Brom links at Town with chairman Mike O’Leary a former CEO with the Baggies and Blues CEO Mike Ashton having been a player, coach and director at the Hawthorns.


hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Must admit I’ve not heard of him .... but would be a potentially great signing - another player with presence ?


https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... post477387

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 pm

I saw something about him yesterday but thought just talk, looks ok and young but I wonder if this means Crooks won't be coming ?

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Looks very good to me ......


https://youtu.be/GhW5owsK72g


Andre who ? :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 pm
I saw something about him yesterday but thought just talk, looks ok and young but I wonder if this means Crooks won't be coming ?
We’re supposedly still talking to various parties about Crooks ..,, time will tell I guess . All VERY exciting stuff .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23930
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 am

This Harper guy looks very talented, and for 500k ? Hope this gets done

shabba
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by shabba » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Looks very good to me ......


https://youtu.be/GhW5owsK72g


Andre who ? :lol:
I'm dubious about these videos, especially when its reserver/youth stuff, the space available in some of those clips is mega. I think many players could be made to look good via some short clips, didn't we sign Adrian Paz based off a video :mrgreen:

Harper is still a very interesting one, would love to know what Birmingham thought of him? I wondered why WBA would let him go and for just 500k, given they will be selling some other high value assets for bigger money, need players for the championship etc. I looked and his contract expires next summer so if they know he won't sign this is the only time to cash in I guess. Seems he is on 8k a week though so would likely be brought in here as one of the higher earners, risk for an unproven (but possibly talented) player.

Certainly could be a bit of a punt over the other signings, but naturally this one has bigger risk but a bigger reward if he turns out to be very good (and likely would be sold on for a good fee, even if as fans we wouldn't want that - it can be healthy for the club overall).

tangfastic
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am

shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Looks very good to me ......


https://youtu.be/GhW5owsK72g


Andre who ? :lol:
I'm dubious about these videos, especially when its reserver/youth stuff, the space available in some of those clips is mega. I think many players could be made to look good via some short clips, didn't we sign Adrian Paz based off a video :mrgreen:

Harper is still a very interesting one, would love to know what Birmingham thought of him? I wondered why WBA would let him go and for just 500k, given they will be selling some other high value assets for bigger money, need players for the championship etc. I looked and his contract expires next summer so if they know he won't sign this is the only time to cash in I guess. Seems he is on 8k a week though so would likely be brought in here as one of the higher earners, risk for an unproven (but possibly talented) player.

Certainly could be a bit of a punt over the other signings, but naturally this one has bigger risk but a bigger reward if he turns out to be very good (and likely would be sold on for a good fee, even if as fans we wouldn't want that - it can be healthy for the club overall).
I’m not really one for getting excited over videos. They can make a very mediocre player seem outstanding. Usually the fans - or the more balanced fans - give a better overview of the player.
Strange one this as I would have thought Cook would go for a more recognised player with more games under his belt. At 21, would he be a bit of a gamble whereby his wages would not count towards the EFL wage budget? Doesn’t say much for our homegrown midfielders if we buy in youngsters from other clubs - but if we can turn a 500k player into a multi-million player in a season or two then it’s astute business. Our youngsters tend to devalue after more appearances made.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 am

It seems like the midfield is Cook’s priority at the he moment. The players coming in and the players rumored are certainly a far cry from the lightweight, underachieving lot we’ve endured for so long. We’ve yearned for physicality and energy and the pieces are coming together. It is indeed exciting times to witness the rebuild.

Dazzz67
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 am

Just found this....

https://twitter.com/WestBromTN/status/1 ... 8225457152

BREAKING : Albion have agreed a £500,000 fee for the transfer of Rekeem Harper to Ipswich Town, bonuses will up it to £1.5 mill if the club gets promoted. Albion now pushing hard for Hamer #WBA #ITFC #PUSB

I know its Twitter but there is no smoke without fire, think this will come off.

Just to add, looks like Edwards is off so could be getting Crooks to maybe?

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 am


hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am
shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Looks very good to me ......


https://youtu.be/GhW5owsK72g


Andre who ? :lol:
I'm dubious about these videos, especially when its reserver/youth stuff, the space available in some of those clips is mega. I think many players could be made to look good via some short clips, didn't we sign Adrian Paz based off a video :mrgreen:

Harper is still a very interesting one, would love to know what Birmingham thought of him? I wondered why WBA would let him go and for just 500k, given they will be selling some other high value assets for bigger money, need players for the championship etc. I looked and his contract expires next summer so if they know he won't sign this is the only time to cash in I guess. Seems he is on 8k a week though so would likely be brought in here as one of the higher earners, risk for an unproven (but possibly talented) player.

Certainly could be a bit of a punt over the other signings, but naturally this one has bigger risk but a bigger reward if he turns out to be very good (and likely would be sold on for a good fee, even if as fans we wouldn't want that - it can be healthy for the club overall).
I’m not really one for getting excited over videos. They can make a very mediocre player seem outstanding. Usually the fans - or the more balanced fans - give a better overview of the player.
Strange one this as I would have thought Cook would go for a more recognised player with more games under his belt. At 21, would he be a bit of a gamble whereby his wages would not count towards the EFL wage budget? Doesn’t say much for our homegrown midfielders if we buy in youngsters from other clubs - but if we can turn a 500k player into a multi-million player in a season or two then it’s astute business. Our youngsters tend to devalue after more appearances made.
Didn’t Cook or Ashton say they would also be recruiting for the U23’s squad too, as they look to build for the future? Maybe he’s one f9r the U23 and not the senior squad?

hallamblue
Posts: 26387
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 am
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ic-8041798

Edwards on his way to Wigan.
I actually think he’s a lazy sod, and doesn’t like the work ethic that the new reg8me will be insisting upon, nor do I think he’s up for the fight for the shirt in what will be a much better squad. Ultimately he’s chasing the money.

Cheerio 👋 loser….

Kerry Blue
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Edwards has agreed to join Wigan on a two year deal, I wonder if they will play him on the left.👍

tangfastic
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am
shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 am


I'm dubious about these videos, especially when its reserver/youth stuff, the space available in some of those clips is mega. I think many players could be made to look good via some short clips, didn't we sign Adrian Paz based off a video :mrgreen:

Harper is still a very interesting one, would love to know what Birmingham thought of him? I wondered why WBA would let him go and for just 500k, given they will be selling some other high value assets for bigger money, need players for the championship etc. I looked and his contract expires next summer so if they know he won't sign this is the only time to cash in I guess. Seems he is on 8k a week though so would likely be brought in here as one of the higher earners, risk for an unproven (but possibly talented) player.

Certainly could be a bit of a punt over the other signings, but naturally this one has bigger risk but a bigger reward if he turns out to be very good (and likely would be sold on for a good fee, even if as fans we wouldn't want that - it can be healthy for the club overall).
I’m not really one for getting excited over videos. They can make a very mediocre player seem outstanding. Usually the fans - or the more balanced fans - give a better overview of the player.
Strange one this as I would have thought Cook would go for a more recognised player with more games under his belt. At 21, would he be a bit of a gamble whereby his wages would not count towards the EFL wage budget? Doesn’t say much for our homegrown midfielders if we buy in youngsters from other clubs - but if we can turn a 500k player into a multi-million player in a season or two then it’s astute business. Our youngsters tend to devalue after more appearances made.
Didn’t Cook or Ashton say they would also be recruiting for the U23’s squad too, as they look to build for the future? Maybe he’s one f9r the U23 and not the senior squad?
I would have thought we’d be focusing just on the first team for now. Personally, I think the under 23’s don’t really mean much as there’s such a gulf between first team and 23’s. I like the idea of building for the future, but I think it’s ‘let’s just get the f*ck out of this league’ time. I don’t think we’d pay 500 k for a 23’s / fringe squad player. Money we could spend on decent ready-made players.

Post Reply