Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Magicmark
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Magicmark » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm

He's a natural goal scorer,numpty Roy tosser Kean let him go, probably past it now but better than what we've currently got,read Huddersfield are favourites to get him.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 pm

He can play the lone striker role which Cook seems to favour.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13634
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 pm

At least we’re talking about strikers, given that James Norwood is our Top Scorer with 7 this is probably as good a place as any to start. I’ve just looked at the table and seen we’ve only scored 1 more goal than relegation candidates Northampton and Bristol Rovers. Just think if we’d have scored one goal in each of our recent 0-0 draws we’d have 10 more points and sit 5th in the table, and still have scored only 46 goals, still one of the lowest number in League One.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19581
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm
numpty Roy tosser Kean
That is actually what is on his birth certificate apparently.

Magicmark
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Magicmark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:12 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:35 pm
Magicmark wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm
numpty Roy tosser Kean
That is actually what is on his birth certificate apparently.
So it should be😂

valleyroad
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by valleyroad » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:01 pm
He’s an ageing one trick pony and more or a journeymen for the last few years . I couldn’t see him fitting in with a high pressing , high work rate Paul Cook team . Rhodes never put himself about outside of the box snd tends to wait for the team to bring the ball to him (from memory). He was also very slow . So at 31yrs of age I doubt he will be quicker !

No thanks .
I agree 100%. I wouldn't be taking Rhodes, for me he is way past his best and is on the decline. With the money that Town will have I suspect there are far better options around.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:33 pm

Town, Sunderland, Preston and Blackburn are all reported to be interested in Crewe Alexandra forward Owen Dale.

According to Football Insider, the the 22-year-old, who has scored 12 times for the Railwaymen this season, is a summer target of the quartet.

Dale, who is contracted until the summer of 2022, was named December’s League One Player of the Month having scored four goals in four games.

The Warrington-born right-sided wideman came through the academy ranks at Gresty Road and spent time on loan at Witton Albion and Altrincham as a youngster.

Town boss Paul Cook revealed at yesterday’s press conference that he was at Crewe’s 2-2 draw at Charlton on Tuesday evening in which Dale scored both his side’s goals.

Whether Dale was the reason for the Blues’ manager’s trip to the Valley or someone else - fellow Alex wideman Charlie Kirk had previously been tipped as a summer Town target - the 5ft 9in tall attacker seems likely to have made an impression.

Cook is set to give the Blues squad a major revamp during what’s expected to be a very busy summer at Portman Road.
Can't remember Dale but Charlie Kirk really impressed me, wouldn't say no to him for sure, Crewe players are generally good footballers technically so bring it on.

tangfastic
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:33 pm
Town, Sunderland, Preston and Blackburn are all reported to be interested in Crewe Alexandra forward Owen Dale.

According to Football Insider, the the 22-year-old, who has scored 12 times for the Railwaymen this season, is a summer target of the quartet.

Dale, who is contracted until the summer of 2022, was named December’s League One Player of the Month having scored four goals in four games.

The Warrington-born right-sided wideman came through the academy ranks at Gresty Road and spent time on loan at Witton Albion and Altrincham as a youngster.

Town boss Paul Cook revealed at yesterday’s press conference that he was at Crewe’s 2-2 draw at Charlton on Tuesday evening in which Dale scored both his side’s goals.

Whether Dale was the reason for the Blues’ manager’s trip to the Valley or someone else - fellow Alex wideman Charlie Kirk had previously been tipped as a summer Town target - the 5ft 9in tall attacker seems likely to have made an impression.

Cook is set to give the Blues squad a major revamp during what’s expected to be a very busy summer at Portman Road.
Can't remember Dale but Charlie Kirk really impressed me, wouldn't say no to him for sure, Crewe players are generally good footballers technically so bring it on.
I remember Kirk. Looked good. Left winger who caused us a lot of problems. Mind you, most L1 players cause us problems.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 pm

I think the Own Dale types of players is probably what Cook will be recruiting. Young, talented players who've proven themselves in League One with the emphasis on 'proven themselves'.

tangfastic
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Sat May 01, 2021 10:13 am

Loads of free transfers available at the end of the season.

The EADT team picked out 12 possible L1 free transfers who we might have interest in.

Calum Connolly (Fleetwood) - CB/midfield
Luke Garbutt (Blackpool ) - LB/LWB
Conor Ogilvie (Gillingham - LB
Josh Ruffels ( Oxford) - LB
Josh Sims ( Doncaster) - winger
Scott Twine ( Swindon) - winger
Joe Piggott (Wimbledon) - striker
Ryan Williams (Portsmouth) - winger
Chuks Aneke (Charlton) - striker
Lee Evans (Wigan) ) - midfield
George Dobson (Sunderland) - midfield
Max Power ( Sunderland) - midfield

Connolly is someone we know. I thought he did OK for us as a loanee. Stiffen up the midfield and can play CB/RB as well.

Evans has been heavily linked with us due to Wigan links.

I thought Pigot was very good last week against us ( apart from the penalty). Really bullied our CB’s

Twine scored that wonder goal against us for Swindon. Maybe playing today.

A lot of players out there as free agents and we should be pretty competitive with wages.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Pigot is the one that stands out for me, what is it 20 goals this season in a struggling side ? Yes please if possible.

hallamblue
Posts: 26236
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Unfortunately I reckon he’s championship bound , don’t you

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Quite possibly yes

User avatar
JohnnyB
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 am

Interesting to watch and read from afar. Nice to see a victory, albeit against very soft opposition. I took a look at the match day squad yesterday and compared it with PC’s first game in charge - essentially PL’s squad. It has actually changed quite a lot. Here’s my thoughts on yesterday’s men (literally and probably figuratively too):

GKs - Cornell/Holy - squad if they’re lucky. I think PC will definitely be after a reliable solid keeper

Defence - VKY - keep
- Woolfy - keep but PC will want a new experienced CD to play alongside him. He needs a good season next year
- mcG - back to Arse or elsewhere
- kenlock - squad but probably not part of future
- chambers - I think he may be given a coaching role next year but ultimately too associated with the bad times. I think he’s doomed
- Toto - maybe a season in L1 squad in him

Mid - Downes - I think he might stay
Dozzell - he’ll get a chance but will he take it?
Bish - 50/50 on contract offer. I think he might get a 1 year
Dobra - squad
Edwards - not out of contract I think but I reckon he’s off
Harrop/Parrot - be nice to keep TP

Attack - Norwood - squad at best
Hawkins - think he’ll be replaced by a better version of big target man

hallamblue
Posts: 26236
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 am

Judging by this in EADT today, someone has been told he’s staying ...... sounds all grown up all of a sudden !


https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... cy-7940888

tangfastic
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Sun May 02, 2021 7:09 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 am
Judging by this in EADT today, someone has been told he’s staying ...... sounds all grown up all of a sudden !


https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... cy-7940888
He does sound a lot more mature than what he does on social media. I think we miss him when he’s not in the team. Just needs to cut back on Twitter and get himself as fit as he can. And practice penalties (he’s scored one in four). I wouldn’t entrust him to lead the line next season due to his fitness and we need to bring in a quality striker or two.... but if he’s fit I’d keep him.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am

I must admit I liked reading that, maybe at times I'm too harsh on him but a lot of my angst stems from his antics away from football, get sensible, stay fit and he could well be an asset next season.

tangfastic
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 am
Interesting to watch and read from afar. Nice to see a victory, albeit against very soft opposition. I took a look at the match day squad yesterday and compared it with PC’s first game in charge - essentially PL’s squad. It has actually changed quite a lot. Here’s my thoughts on yesterday’s men (literally and probably figuratively too):

GKs - Cornell/Holy - squad if they’re lucky. I think PC will definitely be after a reliable solid keeper

Defence - VKY - keep
- Woolfy - keep but PC will want a new experienced CD to play alongside him. He needs a good season next year
- mcG - back to Arse or elsewhere
- kenlock - squad but probably not part of future
- chambers - I think he may be given a coaching role next year but ultimately too associated with the bad times. I think he’s doomed
- Toto - maybe a season in L1 squad in him

Mid - Downes - I think he might stay
Dozzell - he’ll get a chance but will he take it?
Bish - 50/50 on contract offer. I think he might get a 1 year
Dobra - squad
Edwards - not out of contract I think but I reckon he’s off
Harrop/Parrot - be nice to keep TP

Attack - Norwood - squad at best
Hawkins - think he’ll be replaced by a better version of big target man
The one I’m wavering over most is Bishop. When he’s on his game, he glides past players and opens up space. You take away that and you’re left with a player who can’t tackle that well and hasn’t got a great range of passing. I can only see him being used as a number 10. And I don’t think he scores and creates enough for a number 10. Added in is his questionable fitness. I have a feeling Bishop might not be getting a contract.
And I’m not sure where Dozzell will fit into the team. I think Cook favours two strong midfielders who sit deep and can win balls and bring some energy.... and that’s not really Dozzell. I think we’ve got to get away from relying on talented but inconsistent players who don’t really fit. We’ve not seen it yet, but I think Cook has a firm blueprint of how his teams play and what kind of players fit in. Not sure Bishop and Dozzell do.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19581
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by marko69 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:20 am

Steak Bake got the start of a man “bun”?

Stop it, James. Stop that growth right now.

User avatar
JohnnyB
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 02, 2021 12:40 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 am
Interesting to watch and read from afar. Nice to see a victory, albeit against very soft opposition. I took a look at the match day squad yesterday and compared it with PC’s first game in charge - essentially PL’s squad. It has actually changed quite a lot. Here’s my thoughts on yesterday’s men (literally and probably figuratively too):

GKs - Cornell/Holy - squad if they’re lucky. I think PC will definitely be after a reliable solid keeper

Defence - VKY - keep
- Woolfy - keep but PC will want a new experienced CD to play alongside him. He needs a good season next year
- mcG - back to Arse or elsewhere
- kenlock - squad but probably not part of future
- chambers - I think he may be given a coaching role next year but ultimately too associated with the bad times. I think he’s doomed
- Toto - maybe a season in L1 squad in him

Mid - Downes - I think he might stay
Dozzell - he’ll get a chance but will he take it?
Bish - 50/50 on contract offer. I think he might get a 1 year
Dobra - squad
Edwards - not out of contract I think but I reckon he’s off
Harrop/Parrot - be nice to keep TP

Attack - Norwood - squad at best
Hawkins - think he’ll be replaced by a better version of big target man
The one I’m wavering over most is Bishop. When he’s on his game, he glides past players and opens up space. You take away that and you’re left with a player who can’t tackle that well and hasn’t got a great range of passing. I can only see him being used as a number 10. And I don’t think he scores and creates enough for a number 10. Added in is his questionable fitness. I have a feeling Bishop might not be getting a contract.
And I’m not sure where Dozzell will fit into the team. I think Cook favours two strong midfielders who sit deep and can win balls and bring some energy.... and that’s not really Dozzell. I think we’ve got to get away from relying on talented but inconsistent players who don’t really fit. We’ve not seen it yet, but I think Cook has a firm blueprint of how his teams play and what kind of players fit in. Not sure Bishop and Dozzell do.
I think Doz and Bish will get a chance to prove themselves in a new context next year but they’ll need to step up. Downes sounds like a good fit for what you describe. But will he stay? I think he might

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm

Town are reported to be one of a number of clubs eyeing Wigan Athletic winger Joe Dodoo.

According to, Football Insider, the Blues, Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham are among several sides keen on the 25-year-old, who is out of contract this summer although with the Latics set to offer him a deal having scored four and assisted three in 11 League One starts and eight substitute appearances since signing in February.

Born in Kusami, Ghana, Dodoo came through the youth system at Leicester where he scored a hat-trick on his senior debut, a 4-1 Capital One Cup win at Bury in August 2015.

In total he made three starts and one sub appearances for the Foxes, adding one more to his goals total, before joining Rangers for £250,000 in the summer of 2016, after spending a short spell on loan at Bury the previous season and also having won one England U18s cap.

After failing to establish himself in the Rangers side, Dodoo, who is right-footed but tends to play on the left, moved to Charlton and then Blackpool on loan. Having been released by the Gers he joined Bolton on a free transfer in October 2019.


In the summer of 2020 he moved to Turkish side Ankara Keçiörengücü on a two-year deal, but left in January and returned to the UK and signed for Wigan in the following month.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm
Town are reported to be one of a number of clubs eyeing Wigan Athletic winger Joe Dodoo.

According to, Football Insider, the Blues, Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham are among several sides keen on the 25-year-old, who is out of contract this summer although with the Latics set to offer him a deal having scored four and assisted three in 11 League One starts and eight substitute appearances since signing in February.

Born in Kusami, Ghana, Dodoo came through the youth system at Leicester where he scored a hat-trick on his senior debut, a 4-1 Capital One Cup win at Bury in August 2015.

In total he made three starts and one sub appearances for the Foxes, adding one more to his goals total, before joining Rangers for £250,000 in the summer of 2016, after spending a short spell on loan at Bury the previous season and also having won one England U18s cap.

After failing to establish himself in the Rangers side, Dodoo, who is right-footed but tends to play on the left, moved to Charlton and then Blackpool on loan. Having been released by the Gers he joined Bolton on a free transfer in October 2019.


In the summer of 2020 he moved to Turkish side Ankara Keçiörengücü on a two-year deal, but left in January and returned to the UK and signed for Wigan in the following month.
Right-footed but tends to play on the left, let me think does that sound like Edwards, not for me but we are going to get so many players linked over the next few months.

hallamblue
Posts: 26236
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 am

I think we best list every single player Cook has worked with , as I suspect we’ll be linked with most iv thrm over the next 3 months lol !

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 am

We already have a shed load of doodoo here already, not sure we need any more.

tangfastic
Posts: 3571
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by tangfastic » Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am

This player has been around the block too often and never settled. Warning signs there.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7290
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Shed on tour » Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am
This player has been around the block too often and never settled. Warning signs there.
Totally agree. As already been said hopefully it is just a case of us being linked with anybody that might be available from Wigan.

hallamblue
Posts: 26236
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 04, 2021 11:11 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am
This player has been around the block too often and never settled. Warning signs there.
yes I agree tang ...not one for me . But I guess we will be linked with just about every previous Paul Cook player now wont we !

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23714
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Colchester United’s January interest in Blues striker Freddie Sears is reportedly set to be revived in the summer.

Sears, 31, is out of contract at Portman Road at the end of the season with Town appearing unlikely to take the one-year option on his current deal or offer the one-time West Ham trainee new terms.

In January, the Colchester Gazette, revealed the U’s had spoken to the Blues about Sears returning to the JobServe Community Stadium, the Hornchurch-born frontman having left to join Town in January 2015, a report which was confirmed by then-manager Steve Ball.

Now, Football League World claim Colchester will revive that interest in the summer.

It would be little surprise if Sears did return to North Essex for 2021/22 given the January interest and with the striker having continued to live in that area while with the Blues.
Oh god please be true

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7290
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Shed on tour » Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm
Colchester United’s January interest in Blues striker Freddie Sears is reportedly set to be revived in the summer.

Sears, 31, is out of contract at Portman Road at the end of the season with Town appearing unlikely to take the one-year option on his current deal or offer the one-time West Ham trainee new terms.

In January, the Colchester Gazette, revealed the U’s had spoken to the Blues about Sears returning to the JobServe Community Stadium, the Hornchurch-born frontman having left to join Town in January 2015, a report which was confirmed by then-manager Steve Ball.

Now, Football League World claim Colchester will revive that interest in the summer.

It would be little surprise if Sears did return to North Essex for 2021/22 given the January interest and with the striker having continued to live in that area while with the Blues.
Oh god please be true
Mike apparently the rumour is that they are going to loan him back to us though! :lol:

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7290
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Shed on tour » Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm

The one good thing about Sears is that he was born in Hornchurch. :lol: Anybody from there has some qualities! :lol:

Post Reply