Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:02 am

I'm sure there is something the link but I just don't see him coming back with us being in League One, we can hope but personally I think its a tad over ambitious

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:18 am

Agreed but there again our owners did get Drogba to join Phoenix Rising!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:54 am

You have to ask the question , why has the Club even leaked this information if they didn’t think there was a chance of getting him here or as with the Everton defender ….” A good way down the line” ?

I live in hope 🤞

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:38 am

Can’t help feel this is a bit over-ambitious. Dijon payed 2.7 million for him and he’s got 3 years left on his contract. Sounds like he didn’t cut the mustard at Dijon. He’s obviously talented, but feel he could be an expensive flop.

I’d rather we focus on Crooks and a top CB.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:56 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:38 am
Can’t help feel this is a bit over-ambitious. Dijon payed 2.7 million for him and he’s got 3 years left on his contract. Sounds like he didn’t cut the mustard at Dijon. He’s obviously talented, but feel he could be an expensive flop.

Agreed, if we managed to get Crooks I would be delighted. I have my doubts about Celina coping with some of the physical aspect of League 1 football. We have heard before about certain signings (Judge being a prime example) being able to tear up league 1 and it doesn’t happen.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:11 pm

I can't see it happening and wages would be a problem I'm sure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:56 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:38 am

Agreed, if we managed to get Crooks I would be delighted. I have my doubts about Celina coping with some of the physical aspect of League 1 football. We have heard before about certain signings (Judge being a prime example) being able to tear up league 1 and it doesn’t happen.
Me too. Celina is the type who can go missing and he doesn’t seem tough enough to deal with L1. I’d rather we go for a proven L1 player.
Have to say I thought Crooks would be out of our reach and he’d stay in the Championship but there’s strong rumours that this move could well be on. Not getting my hopes up, but we just seem a completely different club now when it comes to the business side.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Maybe it’s been leaked by the club to try and boost ST sales?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Sorry but I can’t agree about him not being tough enough! Are you saying that all Lg1 players are built like brick sh1t houses?
To be able to get a player of his standing would be a massive statement of intent.
Hay ho we all have our opinions though😀

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:59 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:45 pm
Sorry but I can’t agree about him not being tough enough! Are you saying that all Lg1 players are built like brick sh1t houses?
To be able to get a player of his standing would be a massive statement of intent.
Here’s the thing, though. We have to buy players within our allowed budget. I don’t know how much that is - that’s Ashton’s concern, but if we blow a big chunk of that on Celina then we’re going to have to be more frugal on other players. I’d rather we put our money towards players we know can handle this league.
Celina doesn’t get me excited because he’s one who blows hot and cold. Doesn’t seem like a Cook player who demands 90 minutes of energy and running. I think he’d be someone who’d get fans both excited and frustrated because he will go missing. Not for me, but, as you say, it’s opinions.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:07 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:59 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Here’s the thing, though. We have to buy players within our allowed budget. I don’t know how much that is - that’s Ashton’s concern, but if we blow a big chunk of that on Celina then we’re going to have to be more frugal on other players. I’d rather we put our money towards players we know can handle this league.
Celina doesn’t get me excited because he’s one who blows hot and cold. Doesn’t seem like a Cook player who demands 90 minutes of energy and running. I think he’d be someone who’d get fans both excited and frustrated because he will go missing. Not for me, but, as you say, it’s opinions.
Agreed there, but..............every team needs a flair player, we don't have one yet.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:30 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:07 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:59 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Agreed there, but..............every team needs a flair player, we don't have one yet.
Kayden Jackson’s still here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:37 pm

KVY is a flair player

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:49 pm

I do get what Rossi is saying in that we need to add flair, but I’m fed up with passengers who go missing and don’t think hard running and tackling is necessary.

Hopefully, we will add some flair, but I hope they’re hard workers, too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Is Jack Grealish available?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:15 pm
Is Jack Grealish available?
Got to think a level above him as he can’t even get into the England starting 11.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 am

Maybe Cook / Ashton are planning recruitment around two divisions. League One and Championship the following season. You can’t suddenly rip up a league one squad a rebuild all over again for the Championship can you. But if you add one or two flair players now, if you can persuade them to drop a level initial, you’ve then got them in through the door and settled haven’t you.

I think there’s still 2-3 more surprises to come, some that won’t be captured until just before the season starts because they’re already with Championship clubs but for whatever reason can’t get in the first team there. Maybe because they’re young ?

But this is the best recruitment drive I’ve ever witnessed at the Club. Can’t wait for the season to start tbh 👍

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 am
Maybe Cook / Ashton are planning recruitment around two divisions. League One and Championship the following season. You can’t suddenly rip up a league one squad a rebuild all over again for the Championship can you. But if you add one or two flair players now, if you can persuade them to drop a level initial, you’ve then got them in through the door and settled haven’t you.

I think there’s still 2-3 more surprises to come, some that won’t be captured until just before the season starts because they’re already with Championship clubs but for whatever reason can’t get in the first team there. Maybe because they’re young ?

But this is the best recruitment drive I’ve ever witnessed at the Club. Can’t wait for the season to start tbh 👍
I was thinking the same Cook could have brought in all out of contract players for free but we seem to be bringing some quality players that can handle the Championship and paying transfer fees.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:55 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:49 pm
I do get what Rossi is saying in that we need to add flair, but I’m fed up with passengers who go missing and don’t think hard running and tackling is necessary.

I am sure that IF he did agree to come then he would be fully in the picture of what Cook wants and expects in a player.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:57 am

bluejacko wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:55 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:49 pm

I am sure that IF he did agree to come then he would be fully in the picture of what Cook wants and expects in a player.
If we get Crooks, a top CB and some other made to measure L1 players - and then Celina I’d be happy. It would be like a cherry on the top, whereas now we really need to get the core of the side together first . I think we will, but Celina isn’t going to be no good without decent hard-working players around him. Haven’t really followed his career but seems like he hasn’t pulled up trees or settled anywhere yet. Anyway I trust in Cook and Ashton- so we’ll see. I’m not really sure how serious this all is, but Celina’s agent probably wouldn’t mind his name being floated around and in the shop window.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:25 pm

Ipwwich Town are keen to sign versatile Middlesbrough player Hayden Coulson on a season-long loan, we understand.

The 23-year-old has made 46 appearances in the Championship for his boyhood club over the last two seasons, but finds himself out of Neil Warnock's plans.

A former England U18 international, the quick and energetic youngster is primarily an attack-minded left-back but is also capable of playing as a winger or a No.10.

The Gateshead-born player had two senior loan spells in 2018/19.

First, he made 10 starts and one sub appearance at relegation-battling Scottish Premier League side St Mirren. Then, he went to relegation-battling League Two club Cambridge United and made six starts and eight sub appearances.

That first season of men’s football saw Coulson elevated into Boro’s first team at the start of 2019/20.

Jonathan Woodgate put him straight into the starting line-up for the Friday night televised Championship curtain-raiser at Luton, a game that finished 3-3.

Most Read
Two people fined in Suffolk for not wearing face masks
West Suffolk pub shuts after Covid scare
Dutchman may have to leave Shotley after 50 years in the UK

He finished that breakthrough season having made 21 starts and nine substitute appearances and was named the club's Young Player of the Year.

Coulson’s opportunities were restricted under the management of Warnock last season though, with Marc Bola and Marvin Johnson preferred on the left side.

The youngster made seven starts and 12 sub appearances in 2020/21 - two of those starts in the cups and two more being end of season dead rubbers as Boro finished 10th.

Ipswich released veteran left-back Stephen Ward at the end of last season, while Myles Kenlock could follow him out the exit door having started pre-season training with the Under-23s.

Town have signed one left-back so far this summer, snapping up Matt Penney following his release by Sheffield Wednesday.

His contract at Boro runs until June 2024, looks the type of player we need.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:35 pm

Don't know much about Hayden Coulsen but he has Championship experience and plays in Three positions that we are looking at strengthening so there could be something in this, only downside for me is another bloody loan deal, we already have Macauley Bonne on loan, I don't want the team to be littered with loans again.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:39 pm

Agree Mike especially if Gibson is a loan deal of not thats ok as long as we don't have anymore.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Bad news 👎

Rotherham United have rejected a second Ipswich Town bid for Matt Crooks and placed a value 'well into seven figures' on the midfielder.

The EADT and Ipswich Star revealed that Crooks was a prime target of Paul Cook's early last month and subsequently reported that the Blues were ready to make their move last week.

The Rotherham Advertiser then reported that the Blues' opening offer of £400k was knocked back and now say that a follow-up bid, said to be 'for either £500k or £600k', has also been rebuffed.

The report adds that the Millers' valuation of the 27-year-old, who now enters the final year of his contract, is 'well into seven figures' and that they are holding out for Championship interest.

"It isn't sufficient," said manager Paul Warne. "You're not going to sell one of your best assets to a League One rival unless it's for a significant amount of money.

"I don't regard, say, £600,000 for Crooks as a significant amount of money, not for a player of his talent.

"If he is to leave us, I'd like to think he's taking a massive step up. Playing in the same league, I don't regard that as a massive step up."

The Advertiser reports that Crooks would be able to double his wages at Portman Road, with Warne adding: "I understand how players get attracted to clubs for obvious reasons. But I can't see us selling him to Ipswich for the money that's on offer at the moment.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Apparently we are now linked with this player….
Had to look him up as never heard of him….

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvin_Appiah

TWTD now reporting on it …. Not sure if I’ve got the same player up lol

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... d-for-town

Yes I’ve got the right player ….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... et-8120064
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:54 pm

As for Crooks , we’ll as long as we can get to the tipping point fee wise to enable us to speak to the player before any championship club gets involved , we might just stand a chance . But if championship clubs get involved before that tipping point I think that’s it for us .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm

I haven’t heard of him as well.

Big money move to spanish second division and doesn’t seem like he’s done anything at all.

People on TWTD drooling over him….. but what has he done?.

Crooks is the big one for me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Does not look great IMO and they paid 8 million for him so how could we afford him and I don't want more loans.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Big money move to spanish second division and doesn’t seem like he’s done anything at all.

Yes me too tang …. I just hope we get to Rotherham’s tipping point quickly !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:46 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:34 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:57 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yes me too tang …. I just hope we get to Rotherham’s tipping point quickly !!
I think the main problem will be Crooks, not Rotherham. Another year on his contract and if there’s more interest…. he can hang around and look at offers. I think we can get a price sorted with Rotherham- it doesn’t appear to be a massive figure…maybe high 100ks.
The so-called In The Know people feel that this will get done, though.