Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:21 am

I think people need to appreciate Ashton / Cook are operating on multiple fronts simultaneously. We are planning for the higher league as well as getting out of this division this season. Celina is clearly a flair player with a view to post promotion … but Ashton is also working on sorting out the defensive side of the team, 8n DCM and GK …it’ll happen people , its many pieces of the jigsaw going into place …..

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:21 am
I think people need to appreciate Ashton / Cook are operating on multiple fronts simultaneously. We are planning for the higher league as well as getting out of this division this season. Celina is clearly a flair player with a view to post promotion … but Ashton is also working on sorting out the defensive side of the team, 8n DCM and GK …it’ll happen people , its many pieces of the jigsaw going into place …..
I guess we’ll see over the next two days. If we do get a DCM - we’re leaving it late. Should have been done before now. Just feels we’re overloading in some positions and neglecting others. Our problems are becoming obvious in that we need to control games better and we’re very vulnerable. If we get an upgrade on Hdlaky then it doesn’t solve the problem how we get over-run and how we stop balls being crossed into our box. Celina won’t help that as he’s pretty much useless off the ball and can’t defend.
When we brought in Carroll, we should have brought in a proper DCM. We’ll see - a big last 24 hours in the transfer window, I hope. Looks a bit unbalanced ATM.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Maybe it’s a case of having those targets from the off but knowing we would be unable to get them until just before window closes because these targets are either sought after or clubs not sure if they want to release … possibly depending on who they are attempting to get in . This looks to be the case with Morsy (spl) , I think .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:08 pm
Maybe it’s a case of having those targets from the off but knowing we would be unable to get them until just before window closes because these targets are either sought after or clubs not sure if they want to release … possibly depending on who they are attempting to get in . This looks to be the case with Morsy (spl) , I think .
If we get Morsy it’s a serious coup. But you can’t just gamble on bringing players in in the hope that they get a replacement before they release him. That’s out of our control. If we miss out, we’re looking weak in an important area. Morsy’s been playing regularly and it’s not as if he’s an unwanted player. Good luck to Ashton if we get him. We’ll have a better idea in a couple of days but this whole squad building looks a bit imbalanced and lacking in experience. Still have faith, but less so than a week ago. Still can’t get my head around Celina where we’ve got other holes to fill.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:40 pm

I assume the Walton loan means that we could get him on a free next season all being well, as to Celina although I like him and he scores a few goals I don't see where we will play him I hope he's not instead of Morsy, also we can only have 20 outfield players, surely some have to go.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Walton season long loan confirmed 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:40 pm
I assume the Walton loan means that we could get him on a free next season all being well, as to Celina although I like him and he scores a few goals I don't see where we will play him I hope he's not instead of Morsy, also we can only have 20 outfield players, surely some have to go.
I’ve given up trying to work it all out regarding squad size. To bring in Morsy or a DCM we’ll surely have to move players on.

Ashton’s likely to have a very busy next 24 hours. Seems all very last minute and we seem to be relying a lot of other clubs getting deals done.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:27 pm

End of the day we have to trust Ashton and Cook know what they are doing, I am sure one or two will be shipped out or loaned over the next day or so left.

Just imagine what it could of been like it we were not taken over and Ashton was not here, time will tell but things are slowly getting better, keep the faith!

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:29 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:50 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:40 pm
I’ve given up trying to work it all out regarding squad size. To bring in Morsy or a DCM we’ll surely have to move players on.

Ashton’s likely to have a very busy next 24 hours. Seems all very last minute and we seem to be relying a lot of other clubs getting deals done.
Loads of business has been done already👍 I suppose some deals were always going to be last minute!
Anyway it is a pleasant change to actually have someone to achieve this!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Taken from that other site so if correct some need shifting.

We have 15 new signing over 21

3 potentially inbound

plus Nsiala, Norwood, Holy, Donacien, Wolfenden, Kenlock, Jackson, Nolan, KVY

I make that 27 players potentially.

With Kenlock gone, I can see. Holy and Donacien going. Wolfenden potentially going out on loan or Nsiala going permanently and one of either Jackson or Norwood going.
[Post edited

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:38 pm
Taken from that other site so if correct some need shifting.

We have 15 new signing over 21

3 potentially inbound

plus Nsiala, Norwood, Holy, Donacien, Wolfenden, Kenlock, Jackson, Nolan, KVY

I make that 27 players potentially.

With Kenlock gone, I can see. Holy and Donacien going. Wolfenden potentially going out on loan or Nsiala going permanently and one of either Jackson or Norwood going.
[Post edited
If one of the inbound is a GK - that doesn’t count to the 20. Only outfield. But then we’ll have to shift Holy.

Toto, Norwood, Nolan all injured - difficult to shift. Donacien can be shifted - but he’s impressed me with his versatility.

Ashton must be on top of this - I’m sure he can count and knows all this. I do wonder if we’ll have to take a hit on some of their wages ie not include them in the squad, but pay their wages.
Last edited by Tangfastic on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Dobs set for Col Ewe…

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... colchester

Feel sorry for him tbh . He’s far too good for league two and he’s better than the fat tub o lard we’ve got in on a free and who plodded around the pitch second half on sat.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 pm
Dobs set for Col Ewe…

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... colchester

Feel sorry for him tbh . He’s far too good for league two and he’s better than the fat tub o lard we’ve got in on a free and who plodded around the pitch second half on sat.
Agreed. I’d be seriously pissed of if Sears or Judge keeps him out of the team.

I also would like him to be in a different dressing room to one he’s been in before. It’s virtually the same as last season’s.

Won’t be many kind words in that dressing room towards Cook.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:16 pm

The jig saw is certainly coming together with Christian Walton confirmed. Not much longer to wait before we have the full picture including knowing who will be our regular captain taking the leading role on the pitch.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Hope that Walton comes in and settles things down, has a fairly decent record a league up, so has to be an excellent keeper at this level.

It's just a shame that highlight reels of keepers are all about shot stopping, I just don't think it's that relevent at this level these days, it's almost the same as seeing a highlight reel for a defender showing all their goals, it just doesn't help to judge. We need a keeper that commands the area, organises the defence, so I hope we get that, I don't know enough about him to know for sure, but I have a half decent feeling.

I think Hladky is probably a better shot stopper, but his energy is too skittish and while that makes him look high energy and makes him a good shot stopper, it doesn't help other attributes. He seems a confidence player and he just hasn't settled, really harsh on him in a way, but he's not taken his chance and you have to in that posistion, you can't shy away from the action and grow in to it like you may be able to in a different spot.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:35 pm

No idea with Celina, what worries me more is that we're considering bringing in more players in posistions where we've already signed a hatful. One of the very first things that Cook said when he turned up is that the squad is far too large. Aren't we just doing that again, haven't we got enough of these types of players now, what does that say of Cook's confidence in them, would they really be happy to be signed and then plonked on the bench or worse.

Really makes me question signings like Aluko. We've made the mistake with mulitple managers of panicking and bringing in poor singings, bloating the squad and unsettling things in the squad (and in the accountant's office) rather than bringing in more quality. Hmmmmm unsettles me too.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:22 pm

He now has 2 weeks to sort out the squad
Formation .
Bolton at home will be the proof if he has got it correct ..
No more excuses about being in pre season mode .

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:53 pm

I said a couple of weeks ago Besant Celina would be the next quality signing, and he is quality regardless of what BM and others on here say about him, also Walton is a Quality GK other wise Brighton wouldn't have him on their books, and he will go straight into the side FACT, if we can get Morsy from Boro it will be a bonus, wages wont be a problem and remember we are building for the future promotion, so watch this space.

But I know Ashton has other irons in the fire for a quality defender/Captain material player, and we must remember the promotion challenge can come as late as halfway through the season, so for me its early days just yet and team gelling time.

It will happen but I see a late push halfway through the season.

Now If I was PC I would arrange a friendly with Cardiff City as they haven't got a game this week either, it will see how far the team building process has come along so far, plus it will be a good training run out against better opposition.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:16 pm

Cook had said that he didn't want many loans but we now have too many I believe, saying that if we can sign them permanently next season if good enough that's fine if not we are then having to build again for the Championship ( I'm still confident )😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:35 pm
No idea with Celina, what worries me more is that we're considering bringing in more players in posistions where we've already signed a hatful. One of the very first things that Cook said when he turned up is that the squad is far too large. Aren't we just doing that again, haven't we got enough of these types of players now, what does that say of Cook's confidence in them, would they really be happy to be signed and then plonked on the bench or worse.

Really makes me question signings like Aluko. We've made the mistake with mulitple managers of panicking and bringing in poor singings, bloating the squad and unsettling things in the squad (and in the accountant's office) rather than bringing in more quality. Hmmmmm unsettles me too.
Makes you wonder if Cook is calling all the shots as far as player recruitment is concerned.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm

Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will. His heart problems are another concern, he's been given a clean bill of health to return to action in a few weeks, another sicknote.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will. His heart problems are another concern, he's been given a clean bill of health to return to action in a few weeks, another sicknote.
Got to say i'm with you totally with this Mike. Totally agree

Lets look at the whole team, it glares out where our problems lay. Scoring twice in three games should at least be 7 points and not only 3

Every game we played in should of possibly won. Our defence must be top priority. Looking at the games its not just the goals we have scored but also how we have carved open teams, so forward attacking play we are good at.
Then back to our defence. How many goals have we conceded from set pieces and through being caught out in possession? In other words our fault?
We need leaders and not just players with armbands but players who lead through example and players who are good at seeing the game, changing play and just stopping the errors. to conced straight after we scored our second goal was criminal and that last minute corner..

Keep hearing Edmundson but how long will it take him to get fully up to match fitness?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Got to say i'm with you totally with this Mike. Totally agree

Lets look at the whole team, it glares out where our problems lay. Scoring twice in three games should at least be 7 points and not only 3

Every game we played in should of possibly won. Our defence must be top priority. Looking at the games its not just the goals we have scored but also how we have carved open teams, so forward attacking play we are good at.
Then back to our defence. How many goals have we conceded from set pieces and through being caught out in possession? In other words our fault?
We need leaders and not just players with armbands but players who lead through example and players who are good at seeing the game, changing play and just stopping the errors. to conced straight after we scored our second goal was criminal and that last minute corner..

Keep hearing Edmundson but how long will it take him to get fully up to match fitness?
Agree we need more leaders on the pitch. Especially now. If we want to add more attacking options then wait to the January window. Just get the backbone of the team in place. Centre of defence and central midfield. Get that right and we’ve got so many attacking options already even without Celina.
Players that are injured can become better players by just not playing and I wonder that about Edmundson. Hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet, but we’re expecting him to be the missing piece. I hope so, but feels a bit desperate. I’d much rather we get a tough, uncompromising ball winner in midfield than Celina. And by the end of the day, I hope we will. If the Celina deal falls through, but we get a Morsy-type player then I’ll be happy.

But as has been said before, we should be a lot happier with our squad than a year ago. Not questioning the quality of the players, but need to get the balance right.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am

Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 am

Celina signing confirmed on season loan.
Already made my thoughts known on this and as tang said just hope we get a ball winning DM in today.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am

I’d personally say getting a player of Celina’s quality to agree to sign is a bit of a coup for a League One Club - so I’m in no doubt Ashton will secure a DCM of similar quality too .

It’s going to be a busy final day - when was the last time we could ever say that at ITFC!

Edit: I would add that there seems to be this feeling that Cook and Ashton are in some way ignoring the need for defensive players to be brought in . I’d suggest people have got that totally wrong . Ashton is working on several players deals simultaneously. Some just take longer than others ( mainly due to who our target is and their wanting to secure their replacement etc)….. patience

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 am

Lets hope we can also get some out today and not have to pay them off.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am
I’d personally say getting a player of Celina’s quality to agree to sign is a bit of a coup for a League One Club - so I’m in no doubt Ashton will secure a DCM of similar quality too .

It’s going to be a busy final day - when was the last time we could ever say that at ITFC!

Edit: I would add that there seems to be this feeling that Cook and Ashton are in some way ignoring the need for defensive players to be brought in . I’d suggest people have got that totally wrong . Ashton is working on several players deals simultaneously. Some just take longer than others ( mainly due to who our target is and their wanting to secure their replacement etc)….. patience
Im sure they are and by kicking off going for tough experienced players like Sonny Bradley and Crooks shows they focused on that from the start. Would have thought they’d have sorted that out by now, or at least, get some experienced back-up in, instead of someone like Saluko.

I do think they’ll get someone in today, but it’s not only leaving it late, but we’re waiting on other deals to go through so a player can become available. A lot of that is out of our control and Ashton can’t be patient anymore. I guess Ashton has to not only hold his nerve, but know when to pull the plug and go for the next taxi on the rank.
Could be an exciting day going ahead and also hoping to see a few unwanted ones head out the door.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am
Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.
For me its pointless but time will tell, hope I wrong again as I didn't believe he would come back.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 am
Lets hope we can also get some out today and not have to pay them off.
Agreed, Jackson and Kenlock namely, as these guys look to be on the ITFC scrapheap.

I guess there are several ways to look at the Celina signing, many appear not to want him. While i agree totally about the overload of attack minded players and his lack of defensive nous. I want to look at the positives: Signing an International player like this is a huge statement for a League One side and hopefully with the undoubted quality our team possesses now, it makes it that bit easier to encourage other quality players to sign (i am thinking Morsey and/or a marque defensive signing. Certainly lets see where we are at come the close of the transfer window and then pick holes in what we have or haven't got.
While only a loan this season, hopefully if Bersant has a good season, he already possesses the Championship quality/experience and will likely become a permanent signing should promotion be achieved. While we are only talking 'ifs', if he can score or create goals which win us games it must be a win-win for us.

In summary: Would i have signed Celina knowing our current squad position and frailties? No, especially with Edwards playing like he is.
Would i have signed him if he was one of Paul Cooks first transfer signings after last season's debacle? I'd have ripped your arm off and driven to France to collect him.

One thing that i have not seen mentioned which will bring an extra buzz and joy to the SBR Lower......... "Da da da da da da da da Celina" :lol: