Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Well all I can say is the whole thing is once again a bloody embarrassment for the club, total bloody amateurish, I am in full support of what Cook is doing with these morons but I can only assume he is sending out a challenge to the likes of Jackson, Downes, Kenlock, Dobra etc to show they want to be here and are worth keeping.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Pompey winger deal likely to be bogged down by the players injury …..for me it’s a walk away from this deal. We’ve had enough of this crap from previous players coming here already out injured. It’s a NO for me anyway

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... bs-8082660

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 pm

I wouldn't want us to get Jacobs, another bloody sicknote, 27 games missed last season through injury and never played 3 in a row ??? No thank you.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Problem is we’ve been given permission to speak to the player. So we’re obviously considering him , seriously!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:11 am

Obviously things needed to change, and one would assume PC & Co know what they are doing, but I just cannot warm to his approach.

He lost me a bit with his demolition man statement before the last season was up which I think I commented about at the time. That certainly killed any prospect of the team challenging for a playoff place.

Granted some in the squad needed a kick up the arse, but his 'blanket' approach of wholesale critisim of the entire squad is not my definition of man management. I have employed many staff over the years and the aim is to help them grow and develop in their roles, sure some fail, but most give it their all (within their individual abilities) for my organisation.

As far as I am aware, no player wants to be injured long term or to continually to play in a side that loses. I think the current remaining squad are copping a lot of flack for the gross failings of the clubs management structure which has been poor for many years.

Maybe wrong, but I dont see PC being a long term solution for the club.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:28 pm
Well all I can say is the whole thing is once again a bloody embarrassment for the club, total bloody amateurish, I am in full support of what Cook is doing with these morons but I can only assume he is sending out a challenge to the likes of Jackson, Downes, Kenlock, Dobra etc to show they want to be here and are worth keeping.
Looks like Jackson is in for a long lonely season in the U23s then, as I can't see any other club (even National League) being interested in him

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 pm
Problem is we’ve been given permission to speak to the player. So we’re obviously considering him , seriously!
hallam look on the bright side even if he only has one leg there is every chance he might be better than some of the tossers we have had playing for us over the past few years! :lol:
Being serious though I totally agree why is it we seem to always go for injury prone players? :cry:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:42 am

Frosty wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:11 am
Obviously things needed to change, and one would assume PC & Co know what they are doing, but I just cannot warm to his approach.

He lost me a bit with his demolition man statement before the last season was up which I think I commented about at the time. That certainly killed any prospect of the team challenging for a playoff place.

Granted some in the squad needed a kick up the arse, but his 'blanket' approach of wholesale critisim of the entire squad is not my definition of man management. I have employed many staff over the years and the aim is to help them grow and develop in their roles, sure some fail, but most give it their all (within their individual abilities) for my organisation.

As far as I am aware, no player wants to be injured long term or to continually to play in a side that loses. I think the current remaining squad are copping a lot of flack for the gross failings of the clubs management structure which has been poor for many years.

Maybe wrong, but I dont see PC being a long term solution for the club.
Could have written that myself Frosty. Totally agree. But maybe the shock therapy is what we need in the short term. Time will tell.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 am

For me these players have had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and have failed to do so.
When PC came in he said that it was a clean slate for everybody and even went and changed his preferred formation to try and get us in the playoffs.
Yet again the players showed they weren't up to the task when the pressure was on. Yes this hard approach might not work out but at least now we are trying to change things and the attitude within the club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am

I agree 100% with you Tony . Sick to death of the shower of shyte, underperforming, stealing a living crap, that’s been at our club over recent years . Hard reset may mean an extra couple of seasons in league one but if it means we then move on and up and I’d take that .

Edit: FWIW , I think Cook made his demolition man statement when it’d become crystal clear to him that the players weren’t pulling their weight and going with the new ideas . I suspect they’d been a fair few comments from players and no little show of “attitude “ on the training field as well. Cook is very experienced and I doubt he’d have made that statement had he not felt the squad was a lost cause . They had their chance and were in a prime position to kick on for that final push : what do they do ? Throw back in the managers face .

f*ck the lot of em!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 am

Sorry Frosty but on this occasion I disagree completely, Tony and Hallam have it bang on for me, they have had endless chances and opportunities to show what they are about and frankly its sh*te, Cook came in and said what most of us fans say on these type of forums day in and day out, good on him !! They have been a disgrace to the club, the fans and the shirt tbh. I so want Cook to be successful to vindicate his hard line approach, personally without it I think years in the wilderness would have beckoned, personally I wouldn't employ a single one of them

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 am
Sorry Frosty but on this occasion I disagree completely, Tony and Hallam have it bang on for me, they have had endless chances and opportunities to show what they are about and frankly its sh*te, Cook came in and said what most of us fans say on these type of forums day in and day out, good on him !! They have been a disgrace to the club, the fans and the shirt tbh. I so want Cook to be successful to vindicate his hard line approach, personally without it I think years in the wilderness would have beckoned, personally I wouldn't employ a single one of them
I agree up to a point. Sure we were all calling a lot of players crap - which whey were/are - and PC has done exactly the same which is the totally honest approach.

But - if you were verbally offered a really good job, you would not tell your current boss to stick his crappy job up his @rse until you had had the offer of the new job in writing - well, not unless you were f*cking stupid you wouldn't. PC has pissed off a lot of players, that's fine if he can get in the players he wants, but if anything goes wrong he may end up having to rely on some of those he has pissed off. Then he's not looking half so clever.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:14 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I agree up to a point. Sure we were all calling a lot of players crap - which whey were/are - and PC has done exactly the same which is the totally honest approach.

But - if you were verbally offered a really good job, you would not tell your current boss to stick his crappy job up his @rse until you had had the offer of the new job in writing - well, not unless you were f*cking stupid you wouldn't. PC has pissed off a lot of players, that's fine if he can get in the players he wants, but if anything goes wrong he may end up having to rely on some of those he has pissed off. Then he's not looking half so clever.
rossi
I can see what you are saying but for me nothing seems to work for these players. In the past where they have deserved to get a right bollocking the managers at the time has come out and supported them and given their backing to the players, yet still they have under performed.
What does appear to me is that the new owners at this time back Cook in his approach otherwise they would surely have told him to back off a bit. Obviously if thing go tits up next season then that attitude towards Cook may very well change.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Woah sailor, I understand and respect where Liz, Tony and yourself are coming from, and agree that change had to occur, but I think you are missing my point a bit.

As Rossi sort of touched on above, I have an issue with his management style which I cannot agree with.

I started a company 30 years ago by myself which now employs 82 people. Over the years I have made some poor appointments who have not worked out due to lack of work ethos, attitude or were just bloody useless. But, I made the call to employ them, that rests with me. Now when those failed appointments didn’t work out, I didn’t shout about the office telling all staff they were bloody useless, I dealt with the individuals concerned and moved them on.

Same thing with the club, let’s use Chambers, Skuse and say Judge for my argument. They were reasonable championship players for many seasons, either due to age or serious previous injury they needed to go, but I won’t buy the fact for one minute they didn’t care about the club or their career. These players were employed by previous managers and they performed at a reasonable level most of the time. The fact there playing days at this level are at an end does not make them arseholes or that they are stealing a living. Previous managers signed them and then extended their contracts, so whose at fault? They equally didn’t sign a huge amount of useless work mates which probably has a bearing on their later careers.

Evans ownership, a procession of sh*t managers (MM probably excluded) , has led to where we are now, not the players. I too would sign a good contract, who wouldn’t?, and whose fault is that?

All I am saying is that I disagree with the way this change is being driven, it may have consequences on who will sign for us, the remaining players morale and ultimately the results on the pitch.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Sad thing is we missed out on the play offs by 3pts. Maybe if PC had approached it differently and not told all the players there was going to be a big clear out at the end of the season, maybe these players might of got results against Wimbledon twice, Northampton, Shrewsbury and Rochdale at the back end of the season. I think he missed a trick with his approach.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Frosty I wish you had been my boss instead of some of them I have come across during my working life. :mrgreen:
Mind you even though my working days are over the boss at home is always in my ear about something! :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Once again Frosty took the time to write down what I was thinking but too lazy (or busy in fact) to write.

I have also started a couple of companies and had numbers of employees and perhaps more importantly contractors, and as Frosty said, Cook's approach to man management would have put me out of business pretty quickly once word about me had got round the community of potential contractors with the skills that I needed.

I worry that the only players strongly motivated to join our club might be those who have done well under PC before. Maybe there are enough of these, we will see.

Still I've seen people run their companies in many different ways over the years and just because I wouldn't do it the way some of them do, doesn't mean that they haven't sometimes made it work.

Let's hope this is just the starting phase of PCs tenure and that it will all settle down once he has the squad that he wants.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Well I'm sorry but Cooks approach has gleaned Three promotions, it works, I applaud him for it, he had a squad of totally useless tools with the odd exception, the odd exceptions were over the hill and moved on for that reason. Classic example was that tosser Edwards, offered a contract but opted to move on, probably for an easy life. I'll never agree that cook's approach was wrong, no matter how the season unfolds, he has done us a massive long term favour.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:17 pm
Well I'm sorry but Cooks approach has gleaned Three promotions, it works, I applaud him for it, he had a squad of totally useless tools with the odd exception, the odd exceptions were over the hill and moved on for that reason. Classic example was that tosser Edwards, offered a contract but opted to move on, probably for an easy life. I'll never agree that cook's approach was wrong, no matter how the season unfolds, he has done us a massive long term favour.
Totally agree Mike. For me if things continued as they were the only place this club was going is further down the leagues. Yes it could still go pear shaped with Cook's approach but at least we will have done something to try to change things. We all know that some of the past managerial appointments have shall we say turned out to be questionable but imo for far too long the majority of players have appeared to get away with performances that were totally unacceptable.

As I mentioned in a thread a few weeks back I will never forget the comment made by Shane Supple when he left the club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm

I think both Ashton and Cook must have been fairly confident of securing their targets otherwise they wouldn’t have binned the squad the way they have done.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

I think too much is being read into the demolition man thing, it was a headline dreamt up by the media, Cook has clearly not told everyone they can go, Norwood, KVY, Nolan, Woolfenden, Nsiala, to name but Five, its pretty obvious, to me at least, that he has spoken with everyone individually, lets not forget Downes handed in a transfer request so why shouldn't he be removed from the squad, he doesn't want to be here, Jackson too was looking to move on so this works both ways. None of us know what Cook has said to the likes of Dobra either, it was the same when some of the lads were left off the team pic last pre season, all these conspiracy theories came out and Lambert was a b*stard blah blah blah but he'd spoken to them all. Let the powers that be do their jobs, we have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, unless you're Ndaba's mum lol

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Looks like Lancaster is going to Cambridge as long as he passes medical.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm
I think too much is being read into the demolition man thing, it was a headline dreamt up by the media, Cook has clearly not told everyone they can go, Norwood, KVY, Nolan, Woolfenden, Nsiala, to name but Five, its pretty obvious, to me at least, that he has spoken with everyone individually, lets not forget Downes handed in a transfer request so why shouldn't he be removed from the squad, he doesn't want to be here, Jackson too was looking to move on so this works both ways. None of us know what Cook has said to the likes of Dobra either, it was the same when some of the lads were left off the team pic last pre season, all these conspiracy theories came out and Lambert was a b*stard blah blah blah but he'd spoken to them all. Let the powers that be do their jobs, we have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, unless you're Ndaba's mum lol
TBF - Cook coined the phrase and said he’d be Demolition Man himself.

I dunno…. In some ways I wish Cook hadn’t been so vocal and public. I did feel he was playing a bit to the gallery and trying to get onside with the fans by throwing the players under the bus. But, personally, I’ve ran out of patience with the players and I don’t care if their feelings are hurt. And we don’t know the ins and outs of what went on and why Cook went ballistic. There’s a helluva lot more of them than Cook and his new staff and there could have been a lot of disrespect directed against Cook. There was a lot of comfortable players there who’ve seen of a few managers - so maybe they felt they were bullet-proof.

With a smaller squad and some new faces, it could be that any remaining players come on board with Cook. Players can either sulk or get on with their job. It’s their livelihoods too and if they still carry any grievances to Cook then they’re just harming themselves and sticking it to the fans and the club.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:14 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:

rossi
I can see what you are saying but for me nothing seems to work for these players. In the past where they have deserved to get a right bollocking the managers at the time has come out and supported them and given their backing to the players, yet still they have under performed.
What does appear to me is that the new owners at this time back Cook in his approach otherwise they would surely have told him to back off a bit. Obviously if thing go tits up next season then that attitude towards Cook may very well change.
Yep, I agree that these players were sh*te and need to be got rid of. My point is, they are under contract and therefore under no obligation to go anywhere - for that to happen at least one other club would have to want them and I can't see that for a few of them. But if for any reason we are unable to get in as many players as we think we can, PC might - at some stage next season - be in a position where he has to bring one or more of them in to do a job. Given what he has said, I'm not sure that any of them would try for him. I know what he has said was true, but in my view it was not very clever management.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 pm
Looks like Lancaster is going to Cambridge as long as he passes medical.
I expect it will be undisclosed fee, I see Callum Collolly has signed for Blackpool.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:19 pm

The other thing which hit home to me was that wasn't just Cook who was outspoken, Gary Roberts actually said they were the most unfit bunch of players he had seen, he was actually shocked by what he saw when he arrived. I would not be at all surprised if there is a lot more to come out in due course, as someone said up the thread, Shane Supple saw something horrendously wrong at this club, so much so he walked away from the game and financial security, it seems that side he saw stayed around for many years. Well done Cookie for being the first one with balls, right or wrong I love straight talking people who are honest and who say it as they see it, I'm done and fed up with nicey nicey Two faced do gooders, snowflakes with no balls, weve had so many of them in recent years, let the new era begin.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Do you in hind sight I now actually feel sorry for Hurst. He saw it. He tried to change it but didn’t have Evans backing, and I now think Rossi was right when he suggested a long while ago that Chambers had a detrimental effect at the club, I’m really changing how I view things now, and I think the culture at ITFC has probably been rotten to 5he core for years. Evans wasn’t arsed to change things due to the cost implications.

Look at where all these supposed “ stars” have ended up…..bar Dozzell, they all joined lower league teams, or another League One side. No interest it seems from Championship clubs, ( with exception possibly of Downes yet to come), but they don’t appear to hammering the door down to speak to him are they!

I think had Cook been trying to do the job under Evans, we’d be seeing a very different approach , in that he’d be forced to work with the shower of shyte that the squad was/is. It’s having new welath6 owners that’s ( pardon the pun here), the real Gamechanger for this club. OMG, how lucky are we ( and is Cook), to be given this financial support to actually rip it all up and start again. It’s exciting , yet also a little unnerving too.

On the point of Lankester’s move to Cambridge , not that I want to maligned an individual, but I thought I’d heard somewhere over recent weeks , that he has a bit of an attitude problem. I don’t know if this is true. But you have to ask why we haven’t seen him . Did Cook even play him at the end of last season when he took over , I can’t remember?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:32 pm

I get what you mean about Hurst, I was very keen on him coming here but it was a disaster, he did try to change it but did too much too soon and wasn't up to it. As for Chambers I can't knock him tbh Liz, it may have gone sour at the end and there could have been an issue with Cook but for me Chambo was a model pro and good captain of the club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Just seen this … it’s a post in response to a fan stating The Athletic had an article stating Harper ( WBA) had joined Millwall…. To which Phil Ham ( unusually) very forthright here, says ……

Rekeem Harper to Millwall on 21:52 - Jun 24 with 1159 views PhilTWTD

Think they've named the wrong club. He's coming here and it'll be confirmed now the manager has been appointed there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:13 am

As for Lankester, looked ok when he burst onto the scene but does come across a little lightweight, the serious back injury did him no favours and while he hasn't exactly had much chance to impress Cook I get the feeling it is best for both parties that he moves on, lets face it if he was that much of a prospect would he not be heading somewhere bigger and better than Cambridge Utd, no disrespect intended.