Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by number 9 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:31 pm

It's always gonna be hard convincing a player to drop down a league no matter how many 'dollars' you throw on the table. I think Cook and Company will need to focus on 'proven' players at this level or lower.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Who's the other one to turn us down?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri May 21, 2021 8:29 pm

I would think it was Rhodes he is signing for Huddersfield.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Yes , it’s was Judas :lol: . We’d made him an offer apparently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 pm

It will be interesting to see if we did actually make him an offer, all we've seen is papertalk on the both of them so far.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 22, 2021 7:19 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:31 pm
It's always gonna be hard convincing a player to drop down a league no matter how many 'dollars' you throw on the table. I think Cook and Company will need to focus on 'proven' players at this level or lower.
Agree. We might be able to get lower end Championship players who’ve passed their peak or players who need to drop down to revive their careers, but someone like Bradley looks like he’s in his prime. It shows we mean business to go for players like that. But players like Bradley are going to get a lot of interest at Championship level and can afford to bide their time and look for the best deal. Dropping a level is going to be a hard sell. These rumours only broke less than a week ago, so it’s a good thing this was cleared up relatively quickly- none of this will he, won’t he, lasting for a month or two. We move on.
There must be attainable targets in League One we are going for. If we can make a decent offer for Bradley, we should be able to get decent L1 players.
As for Rhodes- bullet dodged, if we were ever really interested.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 22, 2021 10:19 am

Yep - we were told that we were going to assemble a squad of Championship quality players - the first 2 Championship quality players we have made an offer to have turned us down. They won't be the last, either, I can't see us being able to persuade any player good enough for the Championship to come to us instead. Clearly, assembling a squad of Championship quality players in League 1 is far more difficult than it sounds - I think we would be better concentrating on players proven at League 1 level.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 22, 2021 10:21 am

I would still like to hear from the actual club that we made offers, atm its just paper talk

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 22, 2021 11:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:21 am
I would still like to hear from the actual club that we made offers, atm its just paper talk
I do think there’s something in it regarding Bradley. Seems like a lot of reliable sources were reporting it. It could be he and his agent just used us to negotiate a better deal with Luton or another championship club.

Not so sure about Rhodes. He doesn’t seem to fit the mould of a Cook striker.

Who knows. Maybe we’ll see a flood of new signings arrive on June 1st or whenever. If we have already agreed deals, then maybe agents feel no need to leak info. I’d imagine a lot of this paper talk is agents just leaking stuff to get interest and drive up the bargaining price.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 22, 2021 11:32 am

Yep I think agents use situations very well for their own gain. No club gets every player they target, I don't believe for One second Rhodes was offered a deal or was even a target, Bradley would have been some coup and very surprising but it hopefully shows the level we may be aspiring to.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Wouldn't have said no to Rhodes coming back. May be best part of a decade since last involved here but has done well at other teams in the time in between. I think if we had made more of a determined effort this season or made it back to the second level we may have enticed him back on board. Maybe he sees his time here as job done and doesn't wish a return, either way some will say it's regrettable but you move on. In the long term don't believe it's any great loss.

We're not going to be looking at the EPL for new signings that much is true and even Championship level, would anyone really want to relocate or drop down a division to join us. I don't know how much money will be available for new recruits but the main thing is the club is getting something done in way of offloading players that are now essentially surplus. We're not going to have big outlandish names for the new season or anything way beyond expectation but all you ask is people in that want to fight for the cause and proud to display team colors.

Whether you believe Cook was the right choice by way of appointment is still open to debate but the club name is in better condition arguably now than at the end of last year. Or at least it has the potential to do something at long last. Real shame we couldn't put any and all changes into effect in a higher league from August but you can chalk that up to a collection of names we have - or had - here that just decided not to bother and disappointed not only themselves but the fanbase as a collective.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat May 22, 2021 4:22 pm

People say Cook this Cook that! The difference now is there is actually a structure in place to back him up.
No way has he had the final say on what is happening regarding the players leaving or coming in! It’s a case of let’s wait and see what happens and not try to second guess what is going to happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Exactly right

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 23, 2021 9:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
It may have been just paper talk, Mike, but I read that we had made offers to both on more than one source, so I'm guessing there's no smoke without fire.

Whatever, I think the salient point is that we're going to find it extremely difficult to attract the sort of squad that we were promised, namely of Championship-quality players - of course it's very early days and time will tell

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 23, 2021 11:01 am

Maybe we need one really good signing to create the right kind of buzz that will bring in the others. I hope Bradley wasn't going to be that signing but as other have said we don't really know if they were ever actually wanted by us. Still staying calm and awaiting developments. A lot of contracts ending or moving into their next years in June.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 23, 2021 11:23 am

Money talks and compared to most, we should have a bigger budget than most.We’ve said that before, though.

I think we should be able to shop mainly in L1. There’s usually 1-2 players in most L1 clubs who are looking for a move upwards and we should be very competitive in wages at this level. There’s a lot of out of contract players at the moment as well.

One thing that could be a major problem is that we’ve activated so many contracts, so that we can sell them on. I think it’s going to be a tough enough challenge to bring in players without having to sell quite a few as well. I’m not seeing the wisdom of not releasing these players at the moment, because I can’t see there’s hardly any value in them.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am

rossi wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:08 am
Bluemike wrote:
It may have been just paper talk, Mike, but I read that we had made offers to both on more than one source, so I'm guessing there's no smoke without fire.

Whatever, I think the salient point is that we're going to find it extremely difficult to attract the sort of squad that we were promised, namely of Championship-quality players - of course it's very early days and time will tell
Sorry to be that person, but have we actually been promised championship players? Officially (ie from the manager) I’ve just heard ‘significant investment’ but not from what division or such.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 23, 2021 9:11 pm

I think there’s just a lot of speculation , ( mostly by the EADT- it’s a tough time to sell local rag in the close season, when sales are largely driven by talk of the Town), so the Hurons are speculating on all manor of players, like their jobs depend on it ....which it probably does!

I’m not expecting any real movement on the player front until June 1st onwards, and can see groups of new players being announced all at once,( given the number we will be bringing in).

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Linked with Guy Melamed but just likely an early rumour. No experience of him myself, and it might just be agent talk etc.

https://the72.co.uk/236860/sunderland-i ... ring-soon/

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 25, 2021 4:15 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:28 pm
Linked with Guy Melamed but just likely an early rumour. No experience of him myself, and it might just be agent talk etc.

https://the72.co.uk/236860/sunderland-i ... ring-soon/
Well Sunderland are in much the same boat as us, regarding having a large proportion of their squad out of contract, according to my neighbour who supports them. I personally would hope that any players we are in for we'll only find out about when they have signed. As you say Shabba, this is likely to be an agent trying to broker a better offer from their client's current club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 pm

I think relocating to Sunderland from Scotland is far more likely than suffolk before anyone says we've been snubbed again.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 25, 2021 4:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 pm
I think relocating to Sunderland from Scotland is far more likely than suffolk before anyone says we've been snubbed again.
I am sure we are closer to Israel though! :wink: :P

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 25, 2021 6:26 pm

:lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 25, 2021 7:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 pm
I am sure we are closer to Israel though! :wink: :P
Lmao

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 26, 2021 6:59 am

Looks like we’re trying to keep Edwards . Shame. Coz the little scrot will probably use our offer to negotiate a better deal somewhere else . I honestly wouldn’t bother with him.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... st-8000540

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:59 am
Looks like we’re trying to keep Edwards . Shame. Coz the little scrot will probably use our offer to negotiate a better deal somewhere else . I honestly wouldn’t bother with him.

I didn't see the game where he appeared to deliberately play the ball out of touch, but if there is any chance he intentionally did something like that, i would not want to see him in an Ipswich shirt EVER again!

He has got a few goals in him, but at times i see him as very lightweight, certainly flattering to deceive. Personally i want rid of him now, however, if PC sees something in him, whether he feels in a better squad he can achieve more then i guess i will have to accept that. BTW i voted No in the "do you want Ipswich to keep Edwards" poll on there, and was surprised to see a 64/36 split in favour of keeping him!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed May 26, 2021 8:37 am

I certainly would not want him on a three year deal but a one year with an option and if played on the left that would be ok IMO.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 26, 2021 10:18 am

Bishop wanted by Cambridge ffs, I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell him to a club of that size.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 26, 2021 10:20 am

And as for Edwards, just go !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 26, 2021 10:43 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:59 am

I didn't see the game where he appeared to deliberately play the ball out of touch, but if there is any chance he intentionally did something like that, i would not want to see him in an Ipswich shirt EVER again!

He has got a few goals in him, but at times i see him as very lightweight, certainly flattering to deceive. Personally i want rid of him now, however, if PC sees something in him, whether he feels in a better squad he can achieve more then i guess i will have to accept that. BTW i voted No in the "do you want Ipswich to keep Edwards" poll on there, and was surprised to see a 64/36 split in favour of keeping him!
He didn’t deliberately overhit the ball. Just was crap. No pro footballer would do that, especially when they’re soon out of contract. At his best he’s good. At his worst he’s a passenger. At the start of the season he was our best player, scored a few goals but got injured and when he returned he was mostly crap. He’s too inconsistent. There’s a player there, but can’t seem to do it over a season.

Bit surprised that Cook wants to keep him, but can see he’s the type of player that would fit into a Cook team. I hope we can do better or Cook can squeeze out more from him if he stays.