Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:38 pm

I’m not surprised Holy doesn’t like getting down to shots, he’s nearly 7ft tall . It’s a looong way down for him and he’s not likely to be quick . His first sport was Basketball you know 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:36 am

Next season I wonder if The Club will will go for any season long loanees ( Parrott and McGuinness?) or will we as a club dispense with loan players and only buy in our own . That would be novel wouldn’t it !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:36 am
Next season I wonder if The Club will will go for any season long loanees ( Parrott and McGuinness?) or will we as a club dispense with loan players and only buy in our own . That would be novel wouldn’t it !
I think the fact that there’s a limit of over 21 year olds in the squad ( I think, 20) means we’ll probably be forced to take on young loanees to pad the squad out.

I think Harrop was the only over-age loanee we’ve had, so we’ve probably had to take their age into consideration.

Not sure I’d want Parrott back. He’d have to improve and add goals to his game. McGuinness I wouldn’t mind, but is he any better than Ndaba?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Not really sure the Ndaba as have never actually seen him play . Would prefer our players get the shout over another clubs tbh .

Parrott does need to add goals to his game but he’s high energy and work rate could possibly make him a target for Cook

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:04 pm

Paul Cook must feel like a kid in a chocolate shop with permission to eat all he can lol

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ns-7908536

Bloody exciting times for us fans at long last too .

It’ll be interesting to see who PC had in his sights fit new players .

Will he build for League one style of football or start to prepare for Championship level ?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 am

Yes it is exciting but to adda word of caution we should probably wait until the end of the first 10 games or so to make any judgements on the team. I suspect that a number of the new faces will be 'underwhelming' at first sight but we have to trust PC to bring in the right players for the system rather than worry about whether we have heard of them before or what they might have done in teams before who maybe did not play them to their strengths.

How many times have we seen players leave ITFC and thrive elsewhere. Now we can look forward to the kind of player that has been misused elsewhere and can thrive with us if PC gets it right.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:07 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 am
How many times have we seen players leave ITFC and thrive elsewhere.
Yep, that happens almost on a constant basis with Ipswich Town. A reversal of that would indeed be nice....... and hopefully Cookie doesn’t do stuff like turn MIckey Melons goal scoring machine , James Norwood into a pile of empty Greggs wrappers like Champions League winner, Paul Lambert did.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 pm

It never used to happen under Bobby Robson or very much under George Burley.... then the playing field changed totally for Town once we went into administration.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:22 pm

I don't, at 43 years old it would be ridiculous, I can't see it ever happening

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:22 pm

It would certainly be interesting, Kevin Philips and Teddy Sherrigham both managed it post 40 at Premier League level so I'm sure Drogba could do it at League One level assuming he could prove his fitness. I'm 100% certain it wouldn't take him 620 minutes to score his first goal and thats how long its been since our players last scored.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:13 pm

It’s actually more likely NOT to happen for Drogba in L1. It’s a tougher league than the EPL from a physical level. Too many mistimed tackles by mediocre players. He’d be on the sidelines with a f*cked ankle by the 16th minute of his first game.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:13 pm
It’s actually more likely NOT to happen for Drogba in L1. It’s a tougher league than the EPL from a physical level. Too many mistimed tackles by mediocre players. He’d be on the sidelines with a f*cked ankle by the 16th minute of his first game.
Agreed.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am

Bluemike wrote:
I agree but TBF you didn’t believe the takeover would happen either😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 am

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am
Bluemike wrote:
I agree but TBF you didn’t believe the takeover would happen either😂
That is true but not sure of the relevance

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:24 am

Sorry not meant as a dig😀
You said you couldn’t see the takeover happening as you can’t see Drogba coming here.while I agree with you who knows😀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Oh yes, I'm often wrong lol, well not often, in fact hardly ever, if ever.... :lol:

All joking aside I really don't want this to be the way we go, gimmicks and all, we need to get this investment right, 43 year olds are not the way forward, no matter how good he was.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 pm

As usual people are taking what was said in Berke’s interview and putting two and two together and getting any number you want to think of.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

That's right. The Drogba comments were very much tongue in cheek.

I don't mind gimmicks though, as long as they are successful ones.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Afraid to say its the Ipswich way.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm

well if it IS true about Drogba, and he comes in and scores 15 goals for us then it will have been money well spent.

I seem to remember Harry Redknapp getting Portsmouth promoted from the Championship one season by buying old but classy players with no intention of keeping them for more than that season but knowing they would do the business.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm

A player that's accomplished and been part of national league champions, FA Cup victories and Champions of Europe dropping down to the third league to what many neutrals would argue an obscure club set-up isn't going to happen. Has won and achieved about everything there is on domestic level, would have nothing else to prove. Any chance bringing him in which is between slim and zero seems a gimmick we don't need. Might appeal to some and can understand the need for goals and attacking merit but this is essentially a whimsical path that we don't need and more to the point will not come to pass.

He'd have to keep playing for as long as Matthews for Town to once again become an established top league team again also. Erase the idea from question and move on, too outlandish to feasibly entertain.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:22 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm
well if it IS true about Drogba, and he comes in and scores 15 goals for us then it will have been money well spent.

I seem to remember Harry Redknapp getting Portsmouth promoted from the Championship one season by buying old but classy players with no intention of keeping them for more than that season but knowing they would do the business.
He did indeed Gary but surely we were talking 36-38 year olds then ? I just think 43 is pushing it a bit lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 pm

bet you wish you were 43 yrs old again lol .......wish i was (I think)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 pm
bet you wish you were 43 yrs old again lol .......wish i was (I think)
Whit? You were 23 only a few weeks ago.

Confused dot com.

Don't tell us you're older than Dot Cotton?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:12 pm

By ONE year marko ...... :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Town are reportedly keen on former striker Jordan Rhodes, who is out of contract at Sheffield Wednesday this summer, with another of his previous clubs Huddersfield also linked.

According to Football League World, the Terriers lead the chase for the the 31-year-old but with the Blues set to offer Rhodes the chance to return to Portman Road.

Rhodes has scored seven times for the relegation-haunted Owls this season having had a frustrating time at Hillsborough having joined them from Middlesbrough for £10 million in the summer of 2017 following a loan spell. Due to a lack of opportunities with Wednesday he spent 2018/19 on loan at Norwich City.

Former Kesgrave High School pupil Rhodes, who joined the Blues as a 15-year-old from Barnsley for £5,000 after his father Andy became keeper-coach at Portman Road, was controversially sold by Roy Keane in the summer of 2009 having made only 10 sub appearances, scoring one goal.

After top-ups and 10 per cent of the sell-on when Rhodes moved from Huddersfield, with whom he had enjoyed a hugely successful spell, to Blackburn for £8 million in August 2012, the fee Town eventually received moved close to £1.5 million.

Town boss Paul Cook plans a major revamp of the Blues in the summer and with the new owners’ cash behind him is expected to look at players who have shown they are capable of playing in the Championship as he rebuilds the squad.

Whether the likes of Rhodes - if there is anything in the claims of interest - or other players in that mould will be willing to step down to League One remains to be seen.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:40 pm

There'll be fans of this club who won't even remember Rhodes time with us, you know, kids of a certain age. Would have played under Jewell or Keane's "leadership" but was an integral part of a team and commanded his area well. Proved more effective once he'd moved on elsewhere but you know i'd take him back this summer and didn't have to think long and hard about it.

Could contribute, knows the club set-up but depends how well he'd fit into Cook's ideals and relocating from presume residing in Yorkshire somewhere. Such is the inadequacies of the strikers we got now why not allow it the chance once again. Has more experience and goals since leaving here, would present a certain risk but I'd be prepared to allow it the opportunity.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:01 pm

He’s an ageing one trick pony and more or a journeymen for the last few years . I couldn’t see him fitting in with a high pressing , high work rate Paul Cook team . Rhodes never put himself about outside of the box snd tends to wait for the team to bring the ball to him (from memory). He was also very slow . So at 31yrs of age I doubt he will be quicker !

No thanks .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 pm

Two things Hallam.

1/ He is by no means a one trick pony. A collection of Rhodes goals shows he has (or had) many tricks.

And 2/ Surely (cue Airplane! quote) a one trick pony is better than several “no trick” ponies. Unless of course missing sitters is indeed a trick! :lol:

I reckon he’d be ok for crappy mediocre League One regardless of age. The club aren’t going to attract a 23 year old style Rhodes to Portman Road while in crappy mediocre League One. That’s for season 22/23 when the club will be playing Championship “saaaaawker!”