Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:05 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 am
All teams need a bit of flair.

I think the international break will do us good. Itll allow us a bit of extra time on the training pitch with all the new signings and we'll begin a winning run Bolton onwards.

Wycombe have done us a favour.
I agree. In past we might have bemoaned international breaks, but i feel this comes at the perfect time. We have 2 very new signings, plus any other deadline day dealings, all of whom will benefit from a week and a half training. Surely we must also hope to have Edmundsen available for the Bolton game?

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:45 am
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am
Celina confirmed.

Early morning confirmation….. so hope that means we’re spending the rest of the day doing more business.
For me its pointless but time will tell, hope I wrong again as I didn't believe he would come back.
Could be the missing link😊,the defence should of been the priory from the start though,unlucky with Edmondsons injury,should of had better cover.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:31 am

summary: Would i have signed Celina knowing our current squad position and frailties? No, especially with Edwards playing like he is.
Would i have signed him if he was one of Paul Cooks first transfer signings after last season's debacle? I'd have ripped your arm off and driven to France to collect him.

Agree 100% 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am

All I will say is let's not start ripping into the Fullbacks when they are left cruelly exposed because Celina doesn't/Won't track back, he did it with superb regularity

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am

It is weird how Cook basically sacked 80% of the squad because of their attitudes and then brings back a player who probably has a similar or worse attitude than any of them...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am
All I will say is let's not start ripping into the Fullbacks when they are left cruelly exposed because Celina doesn't/Won't track back, he did it with superb regularity
That’s how I feel at the minute. Our weakness hasn’t been in their final third - and Edwards/Burns looked pretty good last game - but in our final third. Someone has got to work that extra bit harder to compensate for Celina. If he’s making and scoring goals regularly- then fair play, but not sure he’s cut out for League One. He’ll get targeted and he could easily be a sulky, peripheral figure.
Maybe tomorrow when the window has closed we can look at this in a better way, especially if we bring in a player or two who stiffens things up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 am
That’s how I feel at the minute. Our weakness hasn’t been in their final third - and Edwards/Burns looked pretty good last game - but in our final third. Someone has got to work that extra bit harder to compensate for Celina. If he’s making and scoring goals regularly- then fair play, but not sure he’s cut out for League One. He’ll get targeted and he could easily be a sulky, peripheral figure.
Maybe tomorrow when the window has closed we can look at this in a better way, especially if we bring in a player or two who stiffens things up.
Here here, I Desperately keep looking for rumours/links to DM about to come in, so far nothing, should that happen the Celina deal becomes less of a negative for me. Early days as far as deadline day goes.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmmmmm….. from Football Insider” Middlesbrough have agreed to sign Rennes midfielder James Lea-Siliki on loan“.

Could this be the opening to get Morsy?

If this is one of the stumbling blocks - then it could pave the way. Assuming he wants to leave Boro, we can beat other Championship clubs and is ok to drop a division. Wouldn’t rule it out quite yet.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am
It is weird how Cook basically sacked 80% of the squad because of their attitudes and then brings back a player who probably has a similar or worse attitude than any of them...
Do you think Cook and Ashton won’t have considered this potential problem ? Why would they suddenly go for a player who they perceive might have an attitude or be lazy ? He simply wouldn’t fit the ethos now at the Club. Maybe Celina just didn’t like McCarthys methods ? I don’t know . And if it is z as “ bad acquisition “, we’ll he’s only on loan isn’t he .

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am
IIRC wasn’t Celina one of the players who McCarthy said the more the fans chant his name he won’t get on?
No wonder he might have had the hump!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:13 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm
Hmmmmm….. from Football Insider” Middlesbrough have agreed to sign Rennes midfielder James Lea-Siliki on loan“.

If this is one of the stumbling blocks - then it could pave the way. Assuming he wants to leave Boro, we can beat other Championship clubs and is ok to drop a division. Wouldn’t rule it out quite yet.
Tang I think we will see Morsy as a blue before the deadline window shuts tonight, Warnock was waiting to get the midfielder Siliki signed before contemplating the Morsy loan out, also Boro have another midfielder on the verge of signing, so that will be at least 6 midfielders on their books, so I think Morsy will arrive today.
If not we have other options on the card, I'm so pleased Selina has moved here he will bring that certain touch of class to the midfield.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm

As I’ve said earlier , I suspect he’s been on our radar the whole window . He’s well known to Cook ( was his former captain I think 🤔), which would explain his comment a few weeks ago about the captain not even being in the building yet! But, we’ve had to wait until Boro have their replacement it seems. I’ll be equally excited about Morsy coming in as I am about Celina . It’s all about a rounded squad isn’t it . I have absolutely no doubt that Cook / Ashton have been well aware of our weaknesses in the newly assembled team , sometimes it just takes games to flush them out into the open ….. and they’re acting on it . Walton GK and hopefully Morsy DCM, but if not him someone very much in that mold . 🤞🤞

Hang in their guys x

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:25 pm

Still interest? Or EADT drumming up drama?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... st-8285376

Amazes me on deadline day that deals go right through to the wire.

Would have thought multiple agreements between all parties, other deals having to coming off, paperwork and medicals to be done takes quite a bit of time. Yet They’re still talking about other options if Morsy doesn’t come off.

What about medicals? Morsy or any other player can’t be at the club (unless he’s here under the radar) and there’s only a few hours left. If we get someone signed up before the deadline, is there a proviso that they must pass a medical at a later date?

Bit of a crazy day for all and I wouldn’t expect any club wanting to leave it this late.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:46 pm

I know…it’s isn’t good for the heart is it, all this last minute stress lol :lol:

Interestingly, there’s no other DCM player rumoured to be in the mix is there?

Edit, does a medical have to be done at the club or can it be done anywhere else?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:08 pm
Do you think Cook and Ashton won’t have considered this potential problem ? Why would they suddenly go for a player who they perceive might have an attitude or be lazy ? He simply wouldn’t fit the ethos now at the Club. Maybe Celina just didn’t like McCarthys methods ? I don’t know . And if it is z as “ bad acquisition “, we’ll he’s only on loan isn’t he .
To clarify I was questioning not criticising. Of course every player will be carefully considered by them, but we have seen before that many things can sway decisions. I'm not saying this is the case, but we have seen teams here struggle at the start of seasons before and then we go in to the market for players we wouldn't normally out of a twang of worry, desperation perhaps. "what's the harm in one more, will surely only add more quality"... that's not always the case. Also he's a big coup at this level, so even if his face didn't fit in some way, or the squad was large enough, it would be hard to turn down the opportunity, even if it introduced risks.

I don't know enough about Celina and far less than they know, so I'll trust them on it, I just feel a bit sorry for some of the genuine players that have been brought in, have performed well in that role and now see their place in the side threatened.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:40 pm

Morsy isn't happening, forget that one.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:40 pm
Morsy isn't happening, forget that one.
From BM yesterday about how the Celina deal won’t come off.

Ash, what is so good about Celina? Yes he has ability, on his day unplayable but most days he's average and defensively anonymous and a liability. I hope it doesn't happen and I don't believe it will.

Maybe BM is trying to reverse-jinx the Morsy move. :)

TBF … doesn’t seem likely.

More’s to the point….. we’ve got an absolute bunch of unwanted players still on our wage-bill.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 pm

Yep I always say what I think, no fence sitting here for fear of being wrong, anyone can do that. Morsy won't be happening 100%

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 pm
Yep I always say what I think, no fence sitting here for fear of being wrong, anyone can do that. Morsy won't be happening 100%
Town set to sign Morsy.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... ay-8286546

If it happens, you’re responsible, Mike.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:37 pm

A big thank you to Mike without your input we would have had no chance of Morsy signing I'm 100% sure of that.😂😂😂

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:38 pm

Can you categorically state that Mbappe won't be signing please mike? 😂

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:55 pm

I find it quite incredible that Morsey, if it happens, will be ITFC's 19th signing this summer. And to think there we all were at the end of last season guessing at 3,4 or possibly no more than 6 new faces appearing. But we were all way off the mark: 19 is a hell of a lot & there are going to be some reputations on the line (ie Ashton & Cook) if it doesn't work,

COYB.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 pm

Morsy appears set to sign guys 👍👍👍👍

Stuart Watson; Twitter

Room for one Mor?

#itfc have only gone and agreed a deal for #Boro midfielder Sam Morsy.

Understand he'll become the 20th signing of a remarkable summer transfer window before tonight's 11pm deadline 👇

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 pm
Ha ha ha just like Celina wouldn’t :lol: 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 pm

LOL happy to oblige , absolutely thrilled at Walton and Morsy, not so Celina tbh but hey ho. All we need now is to win a game, that would be a bonus, Morsy banned for Three games by the way.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:28 pm

probably be rescinded, even Mowbray thought it wasn't a red.

Let's hope they are correct and Middlesbrough continue with the appeal.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:29 pm

Just text you lol :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:38 pm
Can you categorically state that Mbappe won't be signing please mike? 😂
He was looking to sign but we couldn't guarantee him a start each week so deal is off.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:38 pm

:D Jackson set to keep him on the bench I suspect... ho hum...