Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we score more goals than the opposition?

Town Win
77%
Rovers Win
15%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

JOHN DEERE

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Awful, awful stuff. We need a total clear out for next season

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:57 pm
Well its all about the results but f*ck me that was trash. I just don't enjoy this anymore.
Summed up perfectly! This season cannot come to an end quick enough for me and in truth I don't know why, yet again i wasted £10 in the hope i might see something better for once!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:01 pm

Poor fare. And while a win’s a win I guess, there’s not much to get excited about. Toto tries his best, Parrot some nice touches but a lack of quality and belief everywhere. The sad truth is this team have no business going anywhere near the championship

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:03 pm

:cry: well we held on for a 2-1 win but FFS I've mentioned this God knows how many times Chambers is S**T will always be skinned by a quicker player.

I can see Cookies enthusiasm re the summer clear out, out of all the players 52 number we have on the books, you will be lucky if 6 to 8 survive to be hear next season, and as witnessed today changes to the squad and ownership will change by May.

So an exciting new beginning both on the field and off :D :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:04 pm

into additional time now would expect game over by time posted this. Above all else it's three points, however we played out there the win is everything. Sill maintain promotion won't come to pass but you can give yourself a fighting chance if nothing else. Can carry on the momentum from today.

Yes we've won it's been comfirmed. Good, pleased with that. Negotiated a potential banana skin game. Onwards and upwards can catch game report / fan analysis at a later time.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm
Agree with Mick Mills on his synopsis on Jackson (and Norwood too), "nothing" is exactly what i saw offered.
Mick Mills was a fairly cr@p football manager in his time. I'm not sure he's the best judge of players ?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 pm

We got 3pts but was unconvincing. Let's move on to Rochdale. Keep hoping we can scrape in the play offs.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:13 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:04 pm
into additional time now would expect game over by time posted this. Above all else it's three points, however we played out there the win is everything. Sill maintain promotion won't come to pass but you can give yourself a fighting chance if nothing else. Can carry on the momentum from today.

Yes we've won it's been comfirmed. Good, pleased with that. Negotiated a potential banana skin game. Onwards and upwards can catch game report / fan analysis at a later time.
I really don't know if you intentionally come on after every game to wind people up. We pay to watch this sh*te week in week out. Some games we play ok in periods and draw or loose and people say how well they have done and you lambast the players. We get a win but in dreadful style and outplayed by the second bottom team and you say , good, banana skin negotiated. No way did we negotiate that. Just awfully lucky and awfully sh*te

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:14 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm
Agree with Mick Mills on his synopsis on Jackson (and Norwood too), "nothing" is exactly what i saw offered.
Mick Mills was a fairly cr@p football manager in his time. I'm not sure he's the best judge of players ?
I’d say he talks a lot of sense when co commentating these games. The game isn’t rocket science but his comments are comm9n sense. He also said neither Norwood or Jackson had any service . Why? Because our midfield is pants. Too lightweight . Missing the likes of Nolan and Downes. That’s why we are struggling. Finally play two up front and they have no sodding service. Bishop does at least run at defences, just wtf does Dozzell bring to the team? I as’ this question every bloody week.
Last edited by hallamblue on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:17 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:44 pm
and if he was Andre Previn he'd sound more like Les Dawson!
Brilliant

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Btw we are currently 8th in this division! How? I have no idea ..... :lol:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:39 pm
Btw we are currently 8th in this division! How? I have no idea ..... :lol:
Thought Hull were pants when we played them & they are cruising it at the top.
Utter crap today,great we won but like I said after the Plymouth game, we are going nowhere playing like that.Watching us play now just puts me in a bad mood.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 pm
We got 3pts but was unconvincing. Let's move on to Rochdale. Keep hoping we can scrape in the play offs.

:roll: I don't think Rochdale will be an easy pushover game at all, like today, if we don't start improving our defensive and Midfield game, we could come unstuck big time.

Roll on end of season and get them changes and a big clear out made by Cookie as promised.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Banana skin avoided. That’s banana skin “viewing”, ITNO1....... not the game itself, :lol: .... keep the hair on, man!

Sounded horrific. Glad I was installing heating on Good Friday.
For the Lord said, “Go forth and leave the Easter eggs alone and get some work done you fat b*stard.”

Glad I missed that game. With everyone re “roll on next season” and Cookies revival. 👍

And thanks to Rossi for the “Chambers skinned” post, ...... I haven’t heard that saying for YEARS! :lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

It was the first game I've missed (friends birthday lunch) I checked the score early on and saw 2-0 and thought great but sounds like I was very wrong by the comments, but 3 points, might have to improve on Monday though to get anything.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 pm

And thanks to Rossi for the “Chambers skinned” post, ...... I haven’t heard that saying for YEARS! :lol:
That’s Gary showing his age ( and yours) . I had to go snd look that terminology up !! :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 pm

That’s Gary showing his age ( and yours) . I had to go snd look that terminology up !! :lol: :lol:
I think Chambers is the one showing his age. Toto got caught a couple of times, but generally had a sound game. But Chambers really was out-paced and out-muscled too often. I’m thinking he looked better at RB. No offence to Chambers - but surely this has to be his last season. We can’t keep on giving him a contract because hes the only one with captaincy credentials. And based on the team folding too often, his captaincy is not having an effect. The vast majority of this side has been together for 2-3 years yet they look like strangers. They should know their jobs and they should know each other’s games, but a bit of pressure and it all goes to pieces. A big job for Cook, but I’d start in midfield. He’s going to set up 4-2-3-1 next season and I think he needs to target finding the two deep midfielders first. One could be Downes, but I think he could move on. I can’t remember when I’ve last seen our midfield control a game of football. For all Dozzell’s talent, I’m still not sure where his best position is, but it’s not sitting deep in front of defence. We look like a team of misfits who’ve been assembled not with any strategy or planning, but more as a lucky dip.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:17 am

I agree Tang, I would think this has to be his last season. He’s been an excellent professional. Always fit , always available for his manager and willing to play where’re the manager asks him too, unlike so many other so called “ stars” in this squad. I’ve watched his post match interview, and tbh I just feel so sorry for him now. He looks “ flat”, almost defensive in his demeanour. I think he knows this is his last season. I hope Paul Cook, rips this squad up , and gets rid of the majority of the players in it. The loser mentality needs to be purged from this Club now.

As for Dozzell, well he has his little bit of skill , where he can find a defence splitting pass, pass whilst looking the other way ...all a bit flash, but we so rarely see it. What we do see from him time and time again in every game, is a total inability to tackle, to defend when not in possession of the ball, to make his presence felt ( without fouling). Today’s modern player,( definitely the better quality players), need to have ALL attributes, speed, strength, agility, ability to read the game, etc. Dozzell has maybe a couple, but lacks more than he possess IMO. He’s definitely living off his fathers name. Harsh , but true in my view.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 am

Yes, if they take this new stats based approach (still seething to think of it as new)... They'll see:

Dozzell 34 apps 0 goals 1 assist

Its all show no go, we see it time and again and fans gets suckered in because the player looks exciting, same goes for many managers and scouts. He needs to show substance, though I imagine he's still more worried about how he looks.

crisg22

Post by crisg22 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm

What a poor match. I don’t think there was any real difference in quality between the two sides-we just had a bit more good fortune. What was most disappointing was the fact that our main tactic was launching long balls forwards to Jackson-who didn’t seem to win a single aerial battle (and to be fair that is not his game) and Norwood, who did a bit better but more often than not just ended up fouling. Playing two up front seemed to mean play long ball-painful to watch and completely ineffective. Drinian didn’t offer anything different-but he certainly didn’t deserve to get sent off-the second “elbow’ was more a clash of heads. Holy, on the other hand, was probably lucky to stay on-if that was the other way round we have have been howling for a red.
Defence was ok. On balance I would say that Toto has been our stand out performer this season at the back and although he has the occasional slip up I have been impressed with him this season and he was solid yesterday. Chambers was on the whole ok in the air but, like has been said, gets skinned too easily -we were lucky that they didn’t finish off their chances yesterday when he was beaten twice. Neither he nor Ward offered anything of substance going forwards-as per the season so far. Woolfy did ok but still got outmuscled and turned too often.
Dozzell had another poor game and his mistake led to their goal. His body language hasn’t looked right for a few games now. Ironically, his dreadful shot on goal ended up as an assist for Judge-I think that was the only shot “on goal” I have seen Dozzell make this season and actually the only “assist” from open play. For creative player his assist rate this season has been dreadful-even though he has been played deep. Can he shoot? I’ve only got this season to go on but I think I have only ever seen him have on shot on goal from open play (and that was yesterday’s effort). Despite this, I think he still a lot to offer us. His first touch is brilliant and he is the best passer in the squad (although that maybe doesn’t say much).
It is pretty obvious that Judge, Bishop and Dozzell are more forward minded MCs rather than box to box midfielders/holding midfielders and I’m not sure we can play all three together. Edwards worked hard, as he always does, but drifted in and out of the game and only seems to go outside defenders-Dobra wasn’t on the pitch long but showed much more ingenuity and guile. Cook used the analogy of a stuttering engine last week-I wonder if the players, well aware that the squad is going to be rebooted, are either trying too hard or not trying enough. At the end of the day though it amounted to the same thing-we looked the same as a team heading for the league 2.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:35 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 am
Yes, if they take this new stats based approach (still seething to think of it as new)... They'll see:

Dozzell 34 apps 0 goals 1 assist

Its all show no go, we see it time and again and fans gets suckered in because the player looks exciting, same goes for many managers and scouts. He needs to show substance, though I imagine he's still more worried about how he looks.
Well I’m hoping that other managers and scouts get excited about him... and put in a half-decent bid for him. I don’t see where he’s going to fit in here and if we need to generate some cash to bring in someone who can tackle, make assists and score the odd goal - then so be it. He might be successful elsewhere, but he’s not doing enough here apart from looking very classy on occasions. Without the end product, he’s a show pony without the goals or assists to back it up.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Just one thing like to say, wasn't Chambers playing left side?

Chambers did not have a great game, saying this it says a lot he was pushed over to left ahead of other players but I do agree his playing career is coming to an end. Though he has been far from our worse player this season so far.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 pm

What a total nightmare eh?! Had West Brom down to beat Chelsea 5-2 @ Stamford Bridge in the prediction league! ...... but changed my mind last minute for Chelsea 3-0. 🤦‍♂️

Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 pm
What a total nightmare eh?! Had West Brom down to beat Chelsea 5-2 @ Stamford Bridge in the prediction league! ...... but changed my mind last minute for Chelsea 3-0. 🤦‍♂️

Oh well. 🤷‍♂️
Just saw that...Allardyce will be buying the players Doner kebabs for that performance!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:36 pm

crisg22 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm
What a poor match. I don’t think there was any real difference in quality between the two sides-we just had a bit more good fortune. What was most disappointing was the fact that our main tactic was launching long balls forwards to Jackson-who didn’t seem to win a single aerial battle (and to be fair that is not his game) and Norwood, who did a bit better but more often than not just ended up fouling. Playing two up front seemed to mean play long ball-painful to watch and completely ineffective. Drinian didn’t offer anything different-but he certainly didn’t deserve to get sent off-the second “elbow’ was more a clash of heads. Holy, on the other hand, was probably lucky to stay on-if that was the other way round we have have been howling for a red.
Defence was ok. On balance I would say that Toto has been our stand out performer this season at the back and although he has the occasional slip up I have been impressed with him this season and he was solid yesterday. Chambers was on the whole ok in the air but, like has been said, gets skinned too easily -we were lucky that they didn’t finish off their chances yesterday when he was beaten twice. Neither he nor Ward offered anything of substance going forwards-as per the season so far. Woolfy did ok but still got outmuscled and turned too often.
Dozzell had another poor game and his mistake led to their goal. His body language hasn’t looked right for a few games now. Ironically, his dreadful shot on goal ended up as an assist for Judge-I think that was the only shot “on goal” I have seen Dozzell make this season and actually the only “assist” from open play. For creative player his assist rate this season has been dreadful-even though he has been played deep. Can he shoot? I’ve only got this season to go on but I think I have only ever seen him have on shot on goal from open play (and that was yesterday’s effort). Despite this, I think he still a lot to offer us. His first touch is brilliant and he is the best passer in the squad (although that maybe doesn’t say much).
It is pretty obvious that Judge, Bishop and Dozzell are more forward minded MCs rather than box to box midfielders/holding midfielders and I’m not sure we can play all three together. Edwards worked hard, as he always does, but drifted in and out of the game and only seems to go outside defenders-Dobra wasn’t on the pitch long but showed much more ingenuity and guile. Cook used the analogy of a stuttering engine last week-I wonder if the players, well aware that the squad is going to be rebooted, are either trying too hard or not trying enough. At the end of the day though it amounted to the same thing-we looked the same as a team heading for the league 2.
Agree completely about Toto, comfortably been our best defender for quite a while now, amazing the difference when fans don't get on a scapegoats back, probably as well we can't attend atm.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:47 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Oh well. 🤷‍♂️
Just saw that...Allardyce will be buying the players Doner kebabs for that performance!
Yep. Headline:

BIG SAM SPLASHES OUT AS CHELSKI BOSS STRUGGLES TO PUT BUNG ENVELOPE IN BACK POCKET

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:48 pm

tried to submit this last night, technical problems so saved it and therefore :

r.e game highlights, First off the Holy challenge that stood out seemed fairly innocuous. Didn't appear no malice intended and having a hard time labeling it like Rovers team coach Barton, believe he compared it to Schumacher on Battiston (!) if reports were correct. Total exaggeration for want of better words but to encapsulate today's contest just appeared two teams that have largely resigned to playing out a season that can offer little more.

Cook interacted with the Blue Action group at some point today (who had organized yet another anti-Evans protest) and although there were a moment of discussion he didn't share what was mentioned. Cook also stated we played well for ten minutes, the other eighty were sub-standard. Saw his comments post-game and you could see the vigor / enthusiasm within the individual. He acknowledged it were a poor contest, made the requisite apologies but relief perhaps above all the team got the three points it set out for.

Took one last look at the remaining games after today and by rights a top six finish should be ours. If we f*ck up against a rock-bottom Rochdale team next up it will be a real lost opportunity, hard to imagine such a scenario but gathering today's evidence, should such a thing come to pass it won't be far from real surprise.

Beat Rochdale, couple of matches with the Wimbledon teams and then Northampton and Swindon. Seems a promotion almost on a plate, with a consistent team and enough players pulling their weight it would be a perfectly feasible objective. Only the Charlton trip to South London stands out as a problematic fixture, had issues with them in the past chasing a specific finish.

But all other opposition outstanding between here and May, in an ideal world would be perfectly doable. Pains to say it that we'll most likely miss out as believe the players have largely given up on the season or chosen not to show or recognize their abilities.