Cooks Press Conference

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Cooks Press Conference

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:17 am

Town boss Paul Cook was keeping his cards close to his chest regarding the Blues’ injury problems at this morning’s press conference ahead of tomorrow’s home game against Bristol Rovers and says the injury situation at the club hasn’t been great over a period of time and will be something which is looked at at the end of the season.

Kane Vincent-Young was subbed at half-time in last week’s 0-0 draw at Wigan, the right-back’s first competitive start in 17 months. Also missing last week were loanee Luke Matheson with a knock and James Wilson due to a knee problem.

Asked whether Vincent-Young stands a chance of being involved this weekend, Cook said: “It’s always going to be difficult, we’ve got a couple more injuries, if I’m being truthful. I don’t really want to debate each and every individual player, if that’s OK.

“I understand you guys have a job to do. If we were only speaking about one or two people, then I wouldn’t have a problem, but the reality is, the injury situation over a period of time at this club’s not been great, has it?

“We do seem to be adding to it at the minute and I’m not so sure whether that is the games, whether that is fatigue, but it’s something that we’ll seriously look at at the end of the season, that’s for sure.”

He added: “Like every manager, we want our best players on the pitch. A lot’s made of formations, tactics and all the above but there’s 11 v 11 on most pitches up and down the country each week and every manager craves to have his best 11 on the pitch.”

Cook says the injury situation, which goes back some seasons, is something he has identified as something which needs to change.

“One of the ways that I had criticised at Ipswich is that we’ve had too many injuries. I’m not saying players are not injured, I’m not saying that,” he said.

“But it becomes a nice place to be, a treatment room when things aren’t going so well. I prefer teams full of character and life and energy and the best place for those players is on the football pitch. Going forward, that’s the only way it will be at Ipswich Town, the only way.”

Asked about loanee winger Luke Thomas and midfielder Emyr Huws, neither of whom have appeared since he took charge, Cook said: “Again, I’m sure the club will probably making announcements on these guys, so I’ll leave that to the club, if that’s OK.

“Luke’s a different sort of situation, Luke’s had some personal issues that had to be dealt with away from football, so we certainly wish Luke well.

“And obviously Emyr’s is a different situation to Luke’s but I’ll let the club put something out on that, you’ve just caught me out a little bit on that one, sorry.”

Town have played down rumours that Huws’s contract has been settled, however, it would be little surprise if an agreement of that type was come to with the Wales international out of contract at the end of the season and almost certain to leave.
This is quite an eye opener, he is bang on in everything he sees and says, by saying "I'm not saying they aren't injured" makes me think exactly the opposite, is he inferring maybe some are hiding when the going gets tough, a bit like Mcgoldrick did numerous times.

Caught out regarding Emyr Hughes ? Clearly he's been dumped then, good things happening behind the scenes if that's the case, I think our squad will be unrecognisable come August, thank christ.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Cooks Press Conference

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm

It all sounds very exciting, time will tell.....
Town boss Paul Cook believes supporters will be delighted with the changes he, owner Marcus Evans and general manager Lee O’Neill are putting in place for the summer, including the change of approach to recruitment announced this morning, however, he was keen not to go into too much detail with his main focus on the final 10 games of the season.

Quizzed on his thoughts on the announcement that the Blues will be taking a more data and statistics-led approach to recruitment going forward, Cook said: “I just want to concentrate on the present. All I can reiterate to you guys is that when I had my Zoom call with Marcus, when I spoke to Lee, the plans we’ve got or we spoke about for the club are going to be very, very exciting. I think the fans will be absolutely delighted.

“But that must remain for the summer and ongoing. We’re very much in the present now, and I have to concentrate on that.”

Cook says he gained a greater insight into the importance of this approach to recruitment at his previous club.

“It’s something I learnt so much about at Wigan Athletic, I really did,” he reflected. “Jonathan Jackson, our CEO there, was very forward-thinking. I was very much, not negative-thinking, but I wasn’t pro-recruitment rooms.

“But going forward now, recruitment is absolutely huge in football, it really, really is and you’ve got to embrace it.

“As I say, I think, for me, I’ll sit on the fence if I can. I think our supporters, what Marcus and Lee are about to propose doing, the changes that will come in the summer at the training ground and everywhere else, I think our supporters will be delighted.

“But, as I say, I think our supporters will also be more concerned with what’s going on in the next 10 games and we’ve got to concentrate on trying to win some.”

Asked if he’s involved at the heart of the plans, Cook responded: “I’m involved in them. Again, I’ve got to say, I see owners get criticised and I’m not going to go into that, but I don’t understand sometimes the criticism that Marcus has had at the club.

“I just look at the investment he’s put in, continuing even through the pandemic and all the problems.

“The fans are always entitled to their opinion, without a shadow of a doubt, I get that. I’ve only heard so much positivity from Marcus about the club and the plans going forward that I’m actually excited. Let’s put it all together in the future but also let’s also get in these play-offs.”

Cook was asked whether he learns something every day at Town, not just the matches but the training sessions. Does he learn something about the players, the staff, the processes at the club?

“Again, I think what’s come out in the media this morning about the recruitment room,” Cook continued. “You can see in football, the big clubs, the best clubs they function so well. Everything just rolls into one. We've got to make sure we put Ipswich Town on that page.

“When our whole club just flows, our supporters know what goes on, everything about us is not an open book, but we're the best at everything we can be the best at.

“Going forward, that's for tomorrow, a 100 per cent that's for tomorrow. Today we have a squad of players that, over a period of time, a lot has been said about them.

“The new challenge is for them now over the next 10 games and let's wait and see and see what can happen for us in a positive way.”

He added: “It's hard for a manager, especially when you come in. That's the thing for managers and I'm not doing well at the minute with results, I get it.

“I lie awake screaming and searching for the answers, but I also know what the next tomorrow looks like for us as a club.

“And I can guarantee our supporters the summer is going to be exciting and it's going to be vibrant, there are going to be changes at the club where everyone will be like but can we do that as a Championship club that's my challenge.”

Does he feel he has a two-pronged approach at present, on the one hand having to concentrate on the 10 games, but also looking at the longer-term plans?

“I think the big attraction for me when I met Marcus was the longer-term approach that we're looking at,” he said.

“I've got to say that it wasn't a case of ‘we must do this and we must do that’. It was ‘can’t we work together?’, with Lee O'Neill's help and a lot of other people at the club who go unnoticed that people don't really see and work every so hard. Because good clubs have a lot of good people at them. Ipswich Town has that.

“Going forward, my job is to help Marcus and Lee, and their job is to help me. And then together, we can hopefully offer a really bright future for the fans, and that future must be in the play-offs this year. If we don't get in the play-offs, I'll feel like I've failed this season.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Thing is when a club is struggling players can often hide, and what better place than the treatment room. Bunch of tossas at this Club have been doing it for years now. Clear the lot out and start again with more appropriately targeted players

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Thing is when a club is struggling players can often hide, and what better place than the treatment room.
If there are brunette nurses in there, in uniform, with massive jugs, then I'd fully understand. Failing that, I'd personally much prefer being out training every day and playing on match day.

But on a more serious note......., is Paul Cook suggesting there is "faking" going on? Are the medical staff not able to decipher if a player is "at it"?
Or Is Paul Cook referring to players returning from injury? Complaining things are still not quite right when he clearly believes they're ok to play?
Strange one.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:51 pm

In his interview today he said that there are a lot of injuries at the Club and has been for a few years now , and it can become comfortable in the treatment room. Then he said “ he’s not saying players are not injured, that’s not what I’m saying.....” but actually that’s exactly what he’s say8mg lol ! He’s cute about things , and is certainly no mug. He’s sussed this squad out completely now I think.

He’s clever because he’s not naming and shaming individuals, but what he is saying is I know who you are , and your game is up.
But he has also said to all the players, “ show me what you can do”.......” earn your contract”. Which is frankly very fair of him, given the garbage they’ve dished u0 for the last 2-3 years.

Personally I can’t wait for the close season now.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:30 am

Sounds like there will finally, in addition to PC's appointment, be some more positive news stories emanating from PR. Like others,i certainly can't wait for the season to end and to see many of our underperforming "stars" ( :lol: ) being replaced.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:08 am

These exciting things Cook talks about. I seem to remember Lambert saying similar things a couple of years ago.

Paul Lambert March 2019:

In a couple of months times you’ll all know exactly what’s happening. That’s all I can say for now.

I think it will be exciting. I think the club will be in a lot better place if there’s a strategy and a plan and everybody buys into it.

I really hope Cook is not being dragged into a PR drive to sell season tickets. I’d like to think he’s shrewd enough to know the fans won’t be fooled again and he’ll lose a lot of credit if it’s all BS.
If it is true then hope it’s real investment and a good shake up of our structure and the way we run the club.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 am

We've been led down this path before.

Ever the sceptic, I'll believe it when it happens.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:53 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:08 am
These exciting things Cook talks about. I seem to remember Lambert saying similar things a couple of years ago.

Paul Lambert March 2019:

In a couple of months times you’ll all know exactly what’s happening. That’s all I can say for now.

I think it will be exciting. I think the club will be in a lot better place if there’s a strategy and a plan and everybody buys into it.

I really hope Cook is not being dragged into a PR drive to sell season tickets. I’d like to think he’s shrewd enough to know the fans won’t be fooled again and he’ll lose a lot of credit if it’s all BS.
If it is true then hope it’s real investment and a good shake up of our structure and the way we run the club.
That's a very good point - it does sound a lot like deja vu doesn't it?

We all know that ME knows nothing about football or how to run a football club, his expertise is marketing so all of this might be a ploy either to sell more season tickets or to raise the value of the club to a buyer or a bit of both.

And it could be that PC has no choice but to go along with this, it might be part of his remit same as it was with PL and MM.
I know people who work for ME's main business and they tell me that staff turnover amongst senior management is really high, no doubt because ME's management style is to insist on having the final say.

So, thus far PC has talked a really good game, but it's all just talk atm and if ME is going to continue to not back him and to insist on the final say then I don't hold out too much hope for next season

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 pm

I think Pep Guardola ( spl🤷‍♀️), could be manager here and he’d struggle to get anything more out of this squad of players .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:19 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:53 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:08 am

Paul Lambert March 2019:

That's a very good point - it does sound a lot like deja vu doesn't it?

We all know that ME knows nothing about football or how to run a football club, his expertise is marketing so all of this might be a ploy either to sell more season tickets or to raise the value of the club to a buyer or a bit of both.

And it could be that PC has no choice but to go along with this, it might be part of his remit same as it was with PL and MM.
I know people who work for ME's main business and they tell me that staff turnover amongst senior management is really high, no doubt because ME's management style is to insist on having the final say.

So, thus far PC has talked a really good game, but it's all just talk atm and if ME is going to continue to not back him and to insist on the final say then I don't hold out too much hope for next season
I was thinking this myself just yesterday. It feels a little like groundhog day. But we have to give PC the benefit of the doubt for a while don't we.