Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

6 Points for Easter?

Rochdale Win
17%
Ipswich Win
67%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Image Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Image

Monday 5th April 2021 – 15:00

Spotland Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

April Off To A Winning Start........

If there is any truth in the theory that it is "All about results" from here on in then we should al be pretty overjoyed at the final result against Bristol Rovers on Good Friday as it was Three vital points and a win which keeps us on the heels of those sides currently in the Play Off zone. We went into it knowing we had Ten games to go, all of which were/are very winnable games and it is part One successfully negotiated.

The way we started the game was beyond our widest dreams as Two goals in the opening few minutes seemed to suggest we were on for a landslide and even at that early stage it felt like it was game over as Rovers really did look a terrible outfit, an own goal inside the opening few seconds and a cool finish by Alan Judge had us in cruise control, surely even Town couldn't look this gift horse in the mouth, could they ?

Well this is Ipswich Town and slowly but surely all our old failings began to emerge as incredibly we failed to take the game by the scruff of the neck, we still lack any kind of killer instinct when completely on top and as is normally the case we gift them a goal, this time a woeful piece of play by Andre Dozzell allowed them to nip in and convert a very cool finish to bring them right back into it. Our comfortable start had lasted all of Eighteen minutes and suddenly it was very much game on. What followed was a typical frustrating Town performance as we let a far inferior side look much better than they are, suddenly we looked devoid of confidence and belief, that simple pass was suddenly too difficult to execute the runs into good positions stopped and the movement became static, instead it was long balls up to the strikers and time and time again it came to nothing.

While we can tear the performance apart as much as we like we did hang on and get the win, that IS all that matters at this juncture of the season and as such it is mission achieved, I would however hope and expect far better performances in the remaining Nine games, we may get away with the odd one like that but even against the likes of Shrewsbury, Wimbledon & Swindon the chances are that will not be good enough.

Of the players who took part I have to say a big well done to Toto Nsiala who for me was again the stand out performer, no he will never be Franz Beckenbaur nor will he ever be error free but he has had to endure quite a bit of stick and criticism and yet he has come through it and come back stronger, let's be honest Town fans at times are hardly the most sympathetic and love a scapegoat (Richards, Delaney, Chambers, etc etc) so well done Toto for having a thick skin and riding it out.

Next up in our Ten game season is a trip to bottom club Rochdale FC, on any given day ITFC should be beating Rochdale, sorry but that is a fact and I am fully expecting it to come to pass, another Three points here could well have us in the Top Six with a home game against MK Dons to follow, our home form under Cook is actually ok as we are unbeaten with Seven Points form Nine, I think that has gone pretty much unnoticed due to the lacklustre performances which have accompanied the results, with only MK, Wimbledon & Fleetwood to come at home this season we could well go into next season unbeaten at home under Cook, unless of course we have the small matter of a Play Off game to take into consideration too ?!

As for Rochdale I cannot see beyond a win for Town, my guess will be an odd goal victory, maybe 1-0 or 2-1, who cares, any positive scoreline will do for me, yes I would love a rip roaring positive showing but more so I will happily take us playing absolutely dire and winning, it is all that matters right now, the result. Town win, COYB'S.

The Opposition – Rochdale AFC

Rochdale A.F.C. was formed in 1907. After World War I the Football League was expanded and the club unsuccessfully applied to join. In 1921 Rochdale was recommended to be included in the new Third Division North, and played their first League game at home against Accrington Stanley on 27 August 1921, winning 6–3. However, this first season ended with the club at the bottom of the League, having to reapply for membership.

The club's first promotion came in 1969, earned by a team largely assembled by manager Bob Stokoe, though it was Stokoe's assistant, Len Richley who steered Rochdale to promotion after Stokoe moved to Carlisle United. In the early stages of the 1969–70 season, Rochdale topped the Third Division table, sparking hopes of a second successive promotion. The team's form significantly declined around Christmas 1969, however, and a failure to halt the team's decline led to the dismissal of Richley. He was succeeded by d*ck Conner, who stabilised the club's form and steered them to a 9th-place finish. The following three seasons saw the club finish in the lower reaches of the Third Division table, narrowly avoiding relegation each time. The board viewed merely surviving in the Third Division as unacceptable and replaced Conner with Walter Joyce for the 1973–74 season. This move failed to pay off, and Rochdale was relegated after a campaign in which they won only 2 of 46 league games.

The club finished bottom of the league in 1977–78, but was successful in their bid for re-election. Southport, which had finished one place above Rochdale, was demoted instead and replaced by Wigan Athletic. Rochdale finished bottom for a second time in 1979–80, but was again re-elected – by one vote over Altrincham. In 1989–90 the club reached the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time, but lost 1–0 to Crystal Palace.

Steve Parkin was appointed as manager in 1998, a period in which the success of the club improved significantly with the emergence of talented players such as Gary Jones, Clive Platt, Grant Holt and Kevin Townson.

Parkin left to take over at Barnsley in November 2001 with Rochdale second in the Third Division. This gained him little popularity with the fans, especially when he took Gary Jones with him. John Hollins was appointed as his successor and the club finished the season in 5th place, entering the promotion play-offs where they lost to Rushden & Diamonds in the semi-final.

The club reached the fifth round of the FA Cup again the following season, but lost 3–1 at Wolves. Hollins was replaced by Paul Simpson in 2002, and Alan Buckley, appointed and sacked as manager in 2003. Parkin then returned to the club as manager, until being sacked in December 2006.

Parkin's replacement, Keith Hill, who was initially appointed as caretaker manager, became arguably the club's most successful manager to date. Hill and his assistant manager David Flitcroft led Rochdale to a 5th-place finish in 2007–08, securing a play-off place. After beating Darlington 5–4 on penalties in the semi-final, Rochdale reached Wembley for the first time in their history. Despite taking the lead in the match, they lost the final 3–2 to Stockport County.

In the 2008–09 season, Rochdale reached the League Two play-offs for the second consecutive season, finishing 6th in the table on 70 points. Season 2009–10 ended a 41-year wait for promotion with a win over Northampton Town as Rochdale secured the third automatic promotion spot. Rochdale continued their progression under Keith Hill, now with the club for 3 years, with a secured spot in League One in 2010–11. In 2010–11 Rochdale finished 9th in league one with 68 points, equalling their highest league finish since 1969–70.

On 1 June 2011 manager Keith Hill joined Championship club Barnsley. Former Manchester City apprentice and youth coach Steve Eyre was confirmed as Hill's replacement on 12 June 2011. Eyre's spell at Spotland did not last long, as he was sacked after 27 competitive games in charge, the team having recorded just 4 league wins in this time. Eyre's last game was a 0–0 draw against Yeovil, in which Yeovil's keeper Rene Gilmartin played the second half with a dislocated finger. Director of youth Chris Beech was then appointed as caretaker manager. Under Beech's first game in charge, the team drew 1–1 with Preston North End with an equaliser from Daniel Bogdanović who scored on his debut. Beech's 5 games in charge ended with a 5–1 defeat by Stevenage and a 3–0 defeat to bottom of league Wycombe Wanderers.

On 24 January 2012, Accrington Stanley's John Coleman was confirmed manager as the successor to Steve Eyre and left his club where he had been for more than a decade. John Coleman's first match in charge was a 3–0 win at home over Bury in the local derby. However, on 21 April, Rochdale lost 2–1 to Chesterfield resulting in relegation from League One after two years in the league. John Coleman's and Jimmy Bell's contracts were terminated by Rochdale on 21 January 2013 following a poor run in form. In January 2013, Keith Hill, previously in charge of Rochdale from 2007 to 2011, was appointed as the new manager.

Rochdale were promoted to League One on 26 April 2014, after beating Cheltenham Town 2–0. Playing at the club's highest level the 2014–15 season was the club's most successful yet. Apart from a couple of games, they remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in 8th place, their highest league placing. Notable results were a 2–1 win away to Bradford City and home wins against Preston North End and Chesterfield. The club reached the fourth round of the FA Cup, and despite being eliminated by Premier League opposition, remained in contention for promotion to the Championship.

Rochdale played 36 consecutive seasons in the Football League's bottom division from 1974 to 2010, the longest time any team has been in the bottom division of the League, with some even derisively calling it "the Rochdale Division". The club has the lowest average position of all the clubs which have existed continuously in the Football League since its expansion to four divisions in 1921–22 (76th) and since its expansion to 92 clubs in 1950–51 (79th). Additionally, the club holds the distinction of having played the most seasons in the English Football League without either reaching the top two tiers (91 seasons as of 2018-19) or being relegated to the National League.

Last season Rochdale finished in 18th place on the League table.

The Manager – Brian Barry-Murphy

Form Guide

Rochdale Last 5 Matches – currently in place with points

6 Mar Sunderland 2 - 0 Rochdale

9 Mar Rochdale 0 - 2 Shrewsbury

13 Mar Lincoln City 1 - 2 Rochdale

20 Mar Rochdale 3 - 3 Peterborough

02 Apr Portsmouth 2-1 Rochdale

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in place with points

13 Mar Ipswich Town 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

16 Mar Fleetwood Town 2-0 Ipswich Town

20 Mar Portsmouth 2-1 Ipswich Town

27 Mar Wigan Athletic 0-0 Ipswich Town

02 Apr Ipswich Town 2-1 Bristol Rovers

Match Referee – Christopher Sarginson

ROCHDALE AFC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

JOHN DEERE

Re: Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:51 pm

We've been awful recently but as awful as we are I see us winning this one to keep us in the playoffs picture. 2-1.

Next season can't come quick enough.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:19 pm

I agree that we should be winning this one, but I don't expect Rochdale to be a pushover and I don't think our defence is anything like as solid as it should be.

1-1-draw

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:28 pm

I thought this game had 0-0 written all over it until I just looked at the result of their last home game v Peterborough, omg 3-3, now that is a worry. I think I need a rethink. 🤔

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:56 pm

Still have to remind yourself from time to time that Ipswich Town FC are in the same league as Rochdale. Which leads to other reminders like, Wycombe are in the league above. Not the best of reminders. Winning games like this will go a long way to making this era a distant memory.

Having said that; chose the draw vote in the poll. And that's being generous. Can envisage Norrie missing more and Holy rooted to the spot more. Could be a Dale Win (ton). Can only hope Cook goes on a superstar market sweep in the summer.

1-1

Ref Caption.
Controversy newspaper headline;
REFS BEING IMPARTIAL IS CALLED INTO QUESTION AS SARGINSON SCREAMS AT NORWOOD, "HOW DID YOU F ****N' MISS THAT?"

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:56 pm
Still have to remind yourself from time to time that Ipswich Town FC are in the same league as Rochdale. Which leads to other reminders like, Wycombe are in the league above. Not the best of reminders. Winning games like this will go a long way to making this era a distant memory.

Having said that; chose the draw vote in the poll. And that's being generous. Can envisage Norrie missing more and Holy rooted to the spot more. Could be a Dale Win (ton). Can only hope Cook goes on a superstar market sweep in the summer.

1-1

Ref Caption.
Controversy newspaper headline in;
REFS BEING IMPARTIAL IS CALLED INTO QUESTION AS SARGINSON SCREAMS AT NORWOOD, "HOW DID YOU F ****N' MISS THAT?"
Looking at League 2, there’s a real chance that Cheltenham, Forest Green Rovers and Morecombe join us in L1. When I got my first Panini album in 1979, I never knew those clubs existed. And you’ve also got Barrow, Salford, Stevenage, Crawley and Harrogate in L2. At least Rochdale have been a league club for a while. Time to turn it around and start playing teams from the old days.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 pm

1979......., Ipswich Town FC ---->> Old Division One, finishing in European places.

!979......, Forest Green Rovers ---->> The Bradford & Bingley Vauxhall UniBond Conference League Division Three South, Section Two North.

Thanks MEVANS!! :twisted:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Another horrible victory on the cards. It won’t be pretty but I expect PC will have had some stern words and I think we’ll be solid but lacklustre. Early goal hopefully.

Roch 0 Town 1

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 am

Don't know why it is but every time you go up this opposition you can see nothing other than victory. Home or away it doesn't matter, it's just Rochdale isn't it. Not a name to strike fear into anything. Voted without hesitation for us to win it, lose here, I shall accept once and for all that promotion is not going to happen. Depends how much the players want it, if you're not motivated for games of this nature you're not motivated for anything.

Feel the need to point out it's difficult to follow action as it progresses due to a number of factors, seem to catch end bits too often, sometimes it just can't be helped. Chased info on the clubs Ifollow service but for one you have to register and furthermore to view for a full 90 minutes would be problematic in all truth. We're not very good at the best of times and just feel it's a lousy investment right now. Maybe an idea for the future when things have picked up and improved. Radio Suffolk is tough to get so that leaves paying for on-line services to listen to broadcasts, just not an idea that wish to implement as yet. Wish things were simple like back in the day, modern technology isn't for everyone.

Rochdale 0 ITFC 2

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:28 pm
I thought this game had 0-0 written all over it until I just looked at the result of their last home game v Peterborough, omg 3-3, now that is a worry. I think I need a rethink. 🤔
Yes if they can get 3 passed Posh ,we will be lucky to get a point today :(

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:20 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 am
Don't know why it is but every time you go up this opposition you can see nothing other than victory. Home or away it doesn't matter, it's just Rochdale isn't it. Not a name to strike fear into anything. Voted without hesitation for us to win it, lose here, I shall accept once and for all that promotion is not going to happen. Depends how much the players want it, if you're not motivated for games of this nature you're not motivated for anything.

Feel the need to point out it's difficult to follow action as it progresses due to a number of factors, seem to catch end bits too often, sometimes it just can't be helped. Chased info on the clubs Ifollow service but for one you have to register and furthermore to view for a full 90 minutes would be problematic in all truth. We're not very good at the best of times and just feel it's a lousy investment right now. Maybe an idea for the future when things have picked up and improved. Radio Suffolk is tough to get so that leaves paying for on-line services to listen to broadcasts, just not an idea that wish to implement as yet. Wish things were simple like back in the day, modern technology isn't for everyone.

Rochdale 0 ITFC 2
Not really needed Saint, whats needed is an apology from myself. Just goes to show that even after a much needed win town can still make my blood boil. Yes they were poor but no need for me to jump down your throat for be optimistic from a win, so I do apologise.

Moving on......

After cooling down yes I admit 3 points was good, however as many have said , if we get into the top six, do we have enough about us to beat the rest, I doubt it. I feel it will be another high when we finish in top six only to be followed by the usual low after any game where town must win, it rarely happens these days does it. Todays game I feel will be 3 points, in what fashion I don't know. Rochdale can score goals, they have scored more than town but their defence has been poor. Let's hope town can take advantage of this and show some decent stuff in the final third, not the usual site balls in hitting the first man. 2-1 to town.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am

COME ON EWE BLUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEERESSSSSSSSS!!! 💙💙💙💙

0-1 Town scorer ? Probably an og coz we can’t hit a barn door !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:09 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am

:lol: Awesome!

Love the enthusiastic "COME ON!!" followed by the "probably an OG".... :lol: Superb.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 am

Brian Barry Murphy caption:

"MURPHY FAILS TO MAKE CRUCIAL 'DALE SUB AFTER FINDING PIECE OF LAST NIGHTS PEPPERONI PIZZA IN BEARD"

The opposition caption
Lad in blue coat, arms raised, singing, centre pic;

"WHY THE FK DO WE SUPPORT THE DALE? WHHHHHYYYYYY THE FK DO WE SUPPORT THE DALE....."

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Parrott for Norwood only change. All the time Dozzell, Judge and Chambers play on current form it must give the opposition hope. :roll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Parrott for Norwood only change. All the time Dozzell, Judge and Chambers play on current form it must give the opposition hope. :roll:
TBF, Tiny, I’m not sure what else Cook could do. Not many goals in that team, but Judge has just as much chance as scoring as anyone. Chambers will put in a shift. Dozzell needs a rest, but who else can replace him? Just hope we get 3 points and hope by next Saturday we can get players back from injury.

Good to see Sears and Harrop not on the bench.

Rochdale are bottom for a reason and maybe we can be less crap than they are.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:07 pm
TBF, Tiny, I’m not sure what else Cook could do. Not many goals in that team, but Judge has just as much chance as scoring as anyone. Chambers will put in a shift. Dozzell needs a rest, but who else can replace him? Just hope we get 3 points and hope by next Saturday we can get players back from injury.

Good to see Sears and Harrop not on the bench.

Rochdale are bottom for a reason and maybe we can be less crap than they are.
Might be a case of hoping OG can come up trumps again. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm

Can anyone tell me SPECIFICALLY what Chambers was at fault for in the last game ?

I can tell you Dozzell was SPECIFICALLY at FAULT for the opposition goal on Friday .

Fire away ......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:09 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am

:lol: Awesome!

Love the enthusiastic "COME ON!!" followed by the "probably an OG".... :lol: Superb.
Lol :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm
Can anyone tell me SPECIFICALLY what Chambers was at fault for in the last game ?

I can tell you Dozzell was SPECIFICALLY at FAULT for the opposition goal on Friday .

Fire away ......
Being called Luke Chambers

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:07 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm

Fire away ......
Being called Luke Chambers
Ohhh harsh Mike :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:11 pm

wonderful shot by 'team of the week' member Mr Judge :roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Has our midfield come out of the dressing room yet ?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm

Wolfie has been practicing playing it backwards.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm
Seems to be long ball gameplan from the back. Dozzell has frequently dropped back wanting the ball only to be ignored.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Their number 22, Baah. I wonder if he'll end up at Aberdeen any time in his career.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm
Wolfie has been practicing playing it backwards.
Should practice his passing forwards!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Seems to be long ball gameplan from the back.
I ain't watching this one....., and, really?

Ah well. That'll be that then.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Taxi for woolfie!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm
Seems to be long ball gameplan from the back. Dozzell has frequently dropped back wanting the ball only to be ignored.
But in open play our midfield is non existent isn’t it . Haven’t won the ball once , or been on the ball and creating anything ....