Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The first game of a new Era (Hopefully) ..............

Town Win
71%
Dons Win
No votes
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

JOHN DEERE

Re: Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm

Dear God Almighty make this season go away please.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:09 pm
You can't say Cook didn't have a plan B today. Poor b*stard was down to plan X, and the team still couldn't get a shot on target. :roll:
Got to agree, The team did improve during the second half but Jesus, Just nothing in attacking half of the field

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Woah.... PC not coming out for post match interview!

I hope it’s because he’s reading those players a riot act . Bunch of tossa’s the lot of them ..

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Hmm! Paul Cook not doing press conference!

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:18 pm
Woah.... PC not coming out for post match interview!

I hope it’s because he’s reading those players a riot act . Bunch of tossa’s the lot of them ..
Completely agree

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Club needs a root and branch fix, despair sometimes with the opportunities available and not able to do a f**king thing with it. Shame for Cook with the start made but with these collective fools don't think even Jock Stein could get a winning run out of them.

Play-offs are bullshit, never in a million years are we going to make it, amazing we always seem to be around the top six given how mediocre the team is.

Going to take substantial funds to turn this sorry mess around, jury's still out on just how far we can hope to progress now Evans has stepped down. Won't bother with highlights in truth what the hell is there really to see.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm
Going to take substantial funds to turn this sorry mess around.......
Yes, fans will need to have faith that the new overpaid c*nts that Cook brings in can do a job for the club.

Definitely losing interest fast so it MUST be a decent summer for Cook and new Co.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Superchef1 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 pm
Hmm! Paul Cook not doing press conference!

Maybe he’s been sacked or charged with man slaughter for ridding us of this awful squad of players.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Not totally happy Cook isn't doing a press conference. He cancelled the pre match one also

Yes he should be unhappy but we the fans do deserve to hear his thoughts on all matters. I hope he'll come out and talk to us sometime soon because we watched rubbish but we do deserve some kind of response

Maybe just my opinion

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 pm

The best bit about today was seeing Tristan Nydam out there. He’s such a good player IMO . He’s definitely one to keep .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Cook will do a press conference, just not immediately after watching that sh*te, probably wanted to watch the National, he'd seen the Donkeys and moved on to the horses.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Cook will do a press conference, just not immediately after watching that sh*te, probably wanted to watch the National, he'd seen the Donkeys and moved on to the horses.
Well good, Watched that load of Sh*te along with you and others on here and no doubt thousands others. Difference is Paul gets paid to watch, we don't.. Not blaming Paul Cook for that dross though because he tried during the game shuffling the formations but lets be honest.. That team apart from Downs and I thought the defence was ok. Mind you MK dons were woeful also going forwards and I thought Tristan Nydam looked handy. The rest of them would struggle to get into Mark's Wymondham Town Reserves.. Sorry Mark :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:52 pm

Cook sacked ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:52 pm
Cook sacked ?
Lambert appointed

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 pm
. The rest of them would struggle to get into Mark's Wymondham Town Reserves.. Sorry Mark :D
Was landscaping in garden so was spared the frustration of this performance. Struggling to get into Wymondham Town Reserves? They must have been bad! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 pm

Maybe we simply have to resign ourselves to accepting that this season is all but over and “The Gamechanger/Cook” era begins in August 2021.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:58 pm

Absolutely, these remaining games are all going to be disappointing and underwhelming so none of us should be surprised, massive change is coming

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35 am

There's no maybe about it. To be poor and ineffective for a handful of games can be accepted or overlooked, but with us its near week in week out.

Like a f**king idiot I put faith in the team more often than not they could do something with their supposed abilities or make use of an opportunity only to be let down time and time again. Scrap any Ifollow business, would not be prepared to part with good money for the crap they provide near each and every time. After a clear out or enough dead wood personnel have departed, may give it renewed interest but certainly not as it stands.

Read some items today that Cook was not entirely aware of the impending takeover when it happened. Were largely in the dark and something clandestine to his knowledge. Furthermore the new owners aren't or were not happy with Cook as manager which lends the question why wasn't a new manager instaled AFTER the deal had gone through rather than a week or two before it. Has been a hectic last few days but looking back now you can argue things were not done in a suitable order.

Not doing a press talk doesn't worry that much. Lambert hardly spoke out after games and say again there would have been very little by way of discussion points on today's game. If Cook decided to swerve it you can hardly blame a decision.

Bottom line there's a new coach and ownership evident but the same crap team and performances exist. Anyone left toying with the idea of a promotion just abandon the issue now, must have reached a point today that some things just cannot be done, how a team so sh*t and underperforming has remained in contention for a top six finish up until now is a mystery. Maybe the league really is as poor as some make out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:58 pm
Absolutely, these remaining games are all going to be disappointing and underwhelming so none of us should be surprised, massive change is coming

We hope !

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:27 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35 am
There's no maybe about it. To be poor and ineffective for a handful of games can be accepted or overlooked, but with us its near week in week out.

Like a f**king idiot I put faith in the team more often than not they could do something with their supposed abilities or make use of an opportunity only to be let down time and time again. Scrap any Ifollow business, would not be prepared to part with good money for the crap they provide near each and every time. After a clear out or enough dead wood personnel have departed, may give it renewed interest but certainly not as it stands.

Read some items today that Cook was not entirely aware of the impending takeover when it happened. Were largely in the dark and something clandestine to his knowledge. Furthermore the new owners aren't or were not happy with Cook as manager which lends the question why wasn't a new manager instaled AFTER the deal had gone through rather than a week or two before it. Has been a hectic last few days but looking back now you can argue things were not done in a suitable order.

Not doing a press talk doesn't worry that much. Lambert hardly spoke out after games and say again there would have been very little by way of discussion points on today's game. If Cook decided to swerve it you can hardly blame a decision.

Bottom line there's a new coach and ownership evident but the same crap team and performances exist. Anyone left toying with the idea of a promotion just abandon the issue now, must have reached a point today that some things just cannot be done, how a team so sh*t and underperforming has remained in contention for a top six finish up until now is a mystery. Maybe the league really is as poor as some make out.
Given what had happened to him at Wigan, I find it astonishing that he had no idea of the Americans in the background when he was appointed.
It was all over this forum for weeks before Lambert was binned.
2 second scan of internet and I found this https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... of-ipswich
There is no way he wasn't aware !

This quote makes him look naive in the extreme

Upon taking the Ipswich job at the start of March, Cook said: “Do you know what, while I was Wigan manager I didn’t even know who the owners were. I never, ever spoke to them. I never saw any danger signs coming (of the club going into administration).

Anyway he better start getting a tune out of team or he won't be at PR for long. Can blame players and squad at the moment but that won't wash long term. I personally think Lambert would have aquired more points for Town since Cook has been appointed.

He's 3 points outside play-offs with a decent run in. No excuses there are too many being banded about.
Imagine Alex Feguson or Pep turning up at PR and being told they were 3 points outside plays-off, "Aye lads we've not been good this season so lets give up and wait for next when I'll spend all the dough"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:27 am
saint jude wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35 am

Given what had happened to him at Wigan, I find it astonishing that he had no idea of the Americans in the background when he was appointed.
It was all over this forum for weeks before Lambert was binned.
2 second scan of internet and I found this https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... of-ipswich
There is no way he wasn't aware !

This quote makes him look naive in the extreme

Upon taking the Ipswich job at the start of March, Cook said: “Do you know what, while I was Wigan manager I didn’t even know who the owners were. I never, ever spoke to them. I never saw any danger signs coming (of the club going into administration).

Anyway he better start getting a tune out of team or he won't be at PR for long. Can blame players and squad at the moment but that won't wash long term. I personally think Lambert would have aquired more points for Town since Cook has been appointed.

He's 3 points outside play-offs with a decent run in. No excuses there are too many being banded about.
Imagine Alex Feguson or Pep turning up at PR and being told they were 3 points outside plays-off, "Aye lads we've not been good this season so lets give up and wait for next when I'll spend all the dough"
Maybe he was misled by Marcus Evans ?...

Ipswich Town manager Paul Cook was relieved to discover that the club's new owners had a role in selecting him for the job.

When joining the Blues last month, Cook said that one of the biggest attractions had been the chance to have a close working relationship with long-term owner Marcus Evans.

Reports that Cook had been chosen by a US group closing in on a takeover had surfaced days earlier, but it's understood that Evans had told the new Blues boss that he was looking at bringing in further investment rather than selling the club outright.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm

No doubt all will be revealed in due course, but something's by the sound of things & a lot of it seems to revolve around this Ashton bloke from Bristol & his possible/probable appointment as CEO. Cook of course turned the Bristol job down. Why, I ask myself?

All very worrying, but I hope it works out that we retain Cook.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm
No doubt all will be revealed in due course, but something's by the sound of things & a lot of it seems to revolve around this Ashton bloke from Bristol & his possible/probable appointment as CEO. Cook of course turned the Bristol job down. Why, I ask myself?

Thing is why would you turn down Bristol, Cardiff, Sheff Wed to come to League One with Ipswich under Evans. Just doesn't make sense to me.
For me it was a stick on the americans were taking over and has been for months. Think Cook needs a proper agent if he didn't know and naive in the extreme if he believed Evans wasn't looking to sell up

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Thing is why would you turn down Bristol, Cardiff, Sheff Wed to come to League One with Ipswich under Evans. Just doesn't make sense to me.
For me it was a stick on the americans were taking over and has been for months. Think Cook needs a proper agent if he didn't know and naive in the extreme if he believed Evans wasn't looking to sell up
I thought he took this job because it’s a proper mid to long term job. The other jobs were at a higher level - but short-term.

I think he’s a good fit for us. And maybe he thought the same about us. And maybe he liked the idea of having an owner who left him alone to do his job. Enter the Americans and potentially the Ashton character. I’ll be honest, I thought all along that Cook was probably both very aware and possibly part of the imminent takeover with the Americans. Evans must have been very two-faced with both dealing with Cook and then working on the takeover. At some point, Evans must have been telling porkies to Cook to let this happen without his knowledge. I wouldn’t like to be lied to.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Well he is here,the chairman has said he is wanted by them so up to him isn’t it! Get on with the job or maybe sulk and walk away.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:00 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Well he is here,the chairman has said he is wanted by them so up to him isn’t it! Get on with the job or maybe sulk and walk away.
Aye agree and get on with doing your press duties. Load of nonsense yesterday

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm

Until we know why he didn't do the press interview it is impossible to say it is nonsense, there could well be a very good reason as to why he didn't.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm
Until we know why he didn't do the press interview it is impossible to say it is nonsense, there could well be a very good reason as to why he didn't.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... an-7885128

"Cook has today opted not to carry out his usual pre-match press conference ahead of tomorrow's home clash with MK Dons, respectfully explaining he wants to fully focus on getting his and the players' heads around the week's big news and best prepare them for an important match. He will discuss the takeover after tomorrow's game."

Load of nonsense IMO. He's in the door 5 minutes and should be communicating with the fans.

So far I'm disappointed with his impact. Early days but looking for improvement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:50 pm

There will be a reason as to why he didn't show, its not his style. All will be revealed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 am

To Be truthful Cookie was probably so pissed off and bloody angry with yet another inept performance, he decided to really bollock the worthless sh*t players, when only 4 of the players actually played well that makes F*****G hard work for them, sorry no more excuses just cant wait until end of May for the big clear out that's been promised.

It will cost quite an initial large outlay investment moneywise by Gamechanger, for Paul Cook to bring in a few committed players that will play for the badge 100% very single game. I want to see a massive change and improvement, as I'M like many many Town Fans that are truly pissed off with 13 F*****G years of unacceptable dross performances from Managers and boardroom staff, plus the players.

Bring on 2021/22 season with new ideas and changes to the way we employ new players, Lets go the Brentford and Peterborough way of recruiting the best younger players out there, no more loans, but contract players we own and develop.