AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we just going through the motions?

Wimbledon Win
53%
Ipswich Win
24%
Draw
24%

Total votes: 17

patthegimp

Re: AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by patthegimp » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm

Only player worth keeping is Flynn Downes maybe Nydam too. The rest can go

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm

Just gone past Portman Road and was thinking of leaving a message for the players when they get back.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm
Just gone past Portman Road and was thinking of leaving a message for the players when they get back.
Better use the public loos in Maccy Ds, don't want to get arrested

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 pm

So paul cook bingo interview

1) played well for first 28 mins until sending off( even though Wimbledon were much the better team and already 2-0 up)

2) down to ten men, can't fault the lads, effort was fantastic

Blah blah blah.

Getting so cheesed off with this lot. Every week I think it can't get any worse but it does. Is soul destroying.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:23 pm
I appreciate this is lamberts squad of players, but bloody hell, I expected at least some sort of change in performances from cooks tenure. This is abysmal! Is cook the right man for the job??? Really?? I’m worried
I don’t think ANY manager would have got anything out if this squad once that takeover snd a complete rebuild was announced. The players KNOW they are on their way out if this club ...... and it shows .
I so hope you are right Liz, but I’m not convinced by cook at all yet. He needs to earn his wages too, and that involves getting some sort of response from these bunch of losers

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Shame you can't just sack the buggers! You or I would be jobless by now if we had continually failed as miserably.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Tbh this squad has replicated once again the performances they have produced for the last three seasons . So it’s not down to Cook. It’s these players . They are utter dross .

CK is actually saying in Suffolk radio right now if the players can’t physically run snd compete ( due to fitness or capability ), then they won’t do what the manager wants . Especially in this league ... says it all really

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:11 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 pm
So paul cook bingo interview

1) played well for first 28 mins until sending off( even though Wimbledon were much the better team and already 2-0 up)

2) down to ten men, can't fault the lads, effort was fantastic

Blah blah blah.

Getting so cheesed off with this lot. Every week I think it can't get any worse but it does. Is soul destroying.
I take it all back. Well done PC for being honest, how refreshing. Basically blaming the players commitment without naming names. He knows what's needed, I'm sure next season will be better under him

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Just give Cook time everyone, f*ck sake Ipswich fans are so knee jerk, this squad is so not performing for him, look at some of the body language tonight, people can see it surely to god ? I know we are all angry disappointed, annoyed, upset etc etc but christ he can't be anymore honest than he is being without being down right offensive in public, he's a good Manager who has succeeded and he'll turn this sh*te club around.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm

If anyone listened to PC post match interview , trust me that’s it for these players now . He’s publicly called them out . Bloody good job . Get rid of the lot of them !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 pm
Just give Cook time everyone, f*ck sake Ipswich fans are so knee jerk, this squad is so not performing for him, look at some of the body language tonight, people can see it surely to god ? I know we are all angry disappointed, annoyed, upset etc etc but christ he can't be anymore honest than he is being without being down right offensive in public, he's a good Manager who has succeeded and he'll turn this sh*te club around.
Spot on Mike 👍

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Best squad in the league, God help us :?

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
100%

The time to judge Cook is after he's had a chance to bring in his type of players and had a few matches to bed in a new team. I truly believe he is a good manager and is absolutely the right man to get us back up and running as a serious club.

Roll on next season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Agreed, Mike. And a very honest interview. Especially the "need to feel pain" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOX98FlGeFE

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm

I think PC is the right appointment, but only we could have a manager 'bounce' that goes the wrong way. :wink:

The thing I find strange is that PC obviously cannot motivate the players for the shirt, even when the playoffs are still in sight, however, if you were a player whose contract is finishing at the end of the season, why would you not lift your game when you are in the shop window as it's your future career at risk? By showing a lack of commitment for us, why would a new club be queuing up to sign you. I am sure it's totally lost on most people on here who work hard for their living and don't take anything for granted in the current economic environment.

Just can't fathom things atm.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
100%

The time to judge Cook is after he's had a chance to bring in his type of players and had a few matches to bed in a new team. I truly believe he is a good manager and is absolutely the right man to get us back up and running as a serious club.

Roll on next season.
I believe that too, John and if it all goes pear shaped them fair enough........, but after Lambert, Hurst and McCarthy type interviews; THIS guy gives a more matter of fact assessment of the actual game, which the fans can also SEE. No BS from Cook. I like that and the interview is as honest as you'll see any manager without (as ITNO1 says) outwardly publicly blaming.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Ok, just listened to the pc interview. Very impressed with what he had to say. No excuses, no ifs, no buts. Very good style of talking. I must say I expected more of a new manager kick when he arrived, but perhaps the players really are not up for the fight. It surprises me, as I can see many of Them really struggling to find clubs to play for next season. They should be worried about keeping a salary coming in. And yet, here they are performing so badly.

I will give pc some time, and the off season to get his players in. But we need a totally new squad. 10-15 players in the summer. That’s one hell of a rebuild, and I just pray he is up to finding the right players for the right positions.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm

What I find inexcuseable is these players dont even put the effort in for the wedge they earn. If I turned up at work and did naff all would I still get paid? Stop paying them if they cannot be bothered.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm
What I find inexcuseable is these players dont even put the effort in for the wedge they earn. If I turned up at work and did naff all would I still get paid? Stop paying them if they cannot be bothered.
I think the players need a wedge up the arse! :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 am

Frosty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm
I think PC is the right appointment, but only we could have a manager 'bounce' that goes the wrong way. :wink:

The thing I find strange is that PC obviously cannot motivate the players for the shirt, even when the playoffs are still in sight, however, if you were a player whose contract is finishing at the end of the season, why would you not lift your game when you are in the shop window as it's your future career at risk? By showing a lack of commitment for us, why would a new club be queuing up to sign you. I am sure it's totally lost on most people on here who work hard for their living and don't take anything for granted in the current economic environment.

Just can't fathom things atm.
I've been struggling with this too. Maybe things were even worse than we thought. It's the only conclusion that makes sense to me.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am

Well to my mind, we will find out whether or not PC is a good manager this Saturday.

Yes, I know he's inherited a shower of sh*te, and after last night's interview he's as good as admitted that himself.

So, the time to act is now, not next season. He has seen enough of the players he has used over the last 10 games to know that there is no chance of making the play-offs using the same players/formations he has used to date. In my view, a good manager will try to win every game, so he has nothing to lose now by picking a team made up of players he has not used to date (U23s, U18s) and see what happens - at least he will have a chance to see them in League 1 action and get an idea of whether or not they can fit into his future plans.

Good management is about being proactive Mr Cook, not reactive as you have demonstrated by making changes every week but sticking to the same core of players and hoping to hit on a winning combination.

So is he a good manager or not? As far as I'm concerned we have only until Saturday to wait to find out

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:14 am

Exactly my thoughts too Gary, and have been saying this for a while now.

I’d LOVE to see what some of our youngsters can do at this level over the last 5-6 games. What’s to lose ?

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 am

I agree Hallamboy. At least they would hopefully show more enthusiasm and it might sought out the men from the boys.

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 am

Sorry should read "Hallamblue"

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 am

I'm afraid that Chambers has also lost the option for another year too in my view. For sure it's the manager's prime responsibility to get the players motivated but his chief ally is his Captain.

Yep let's see some changes and start eliminating those who will not be playing a part next season and have shown that they don't care.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am
Well to my mind, we will find out whether or not PC is a good manager this Saturday.

Yes, I know he's inherited a shower of sh*te, and after last night's interview he's as good as admitted that himself.

So, the time to act is now, not next season. He has seen enough of the players he has used over the last 10 games to know that there is no chance of making the play-offs using the same players/formations he has used to date. In my view, a good manager will try to win every game, so he has nothing to lose now by picking a team made up of players he has not used to date (U23s, U18s) and see what happens - at least he will have a chance to see them in League 1 action and get an idea of whether or not they can fit into his future plans.

Good management is about being proactive Mr Cook, not reactive as you have demonstrated by making changes every week but sticking to the same core of players and hoping to hit on a winning combination.

So is he a good manager or not? As far as I'm concerned we have only until Saturday to wait to find out
So Gary are you saying IF he doesn't play the kids etc Saturday he's a bad manager? Really? I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place cus while it's still possible he has to be shown to be playing his best team (yes I know, a joke in itself), to play kids will have the other half of the fan base questioning him, I don't think he can win at this juncture and to be fair I think a good Manager can also be deemed to be one who protects the likes of Dobra, Baggott, etc etc from this shitfest, it is so bad it can only be damaging to them atm.

I would be happy to seea team including the likes of KVY, Kenlock, Nydam, Parrott, Downes, Bishop, Cornell, Jackson etc on Saturday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 am

If he plays U23’s or U18’s, it’ll still be a massacre. Sorry for that negativity. But I’m basing that on EPL teams playing U23 / U21 & U18 teams in the Caraboooo Cup. Most of them were gubbed by L1 & L2 teams with the exception of Leicester & Man City.

Don’t think there is a better way to describe Cooks predicament other than the above mentioned “rock & hard place” ...... and THAT in itself would make me very angry at those players. Like an employee constantly damaging people’s carpets and me having to face the music. Fk that!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am

Hey Marko... Well i just cant see us having time and the players to "gel" next season. Its a massive rebuild and to get 10-15 players in, playing together, performing well.... its a big ask. And thats assuming there are that many quality players willing and able to come to the club.
There is no quick fix for the malaise this club is in, and i think it will take 2 years at best! Prove me wrong PC and Ashton, it would make me the happiest man around.

I also cant see the U23 team being played for the next 6 games. Its the current crop of players mess, and they need to own it and live with it till the bitter end. I am certainly dissapointed with Chambers. Hes supposed to be the link between management and players.. He seems to be doing nothing to help the situation.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 am

I’m not even sure Lambert knew his best team at the end of 2 1/2 years... so I think Cook’s going to struggle piecing it all together in 6-7 weeks.

I think a mistake Cook is making is going against his principles. He’s a devout 4-2-3-1 manager and he feels forced to try anything to get something out of the team. Understandable, but it actually feels more messed up than before. Cook’s going to play 4-2-3-1 next season- I’d say go back to that for the time being to get this bloody season over with. He’s making concessions to the players by adapting to them, and it should be the other way round.

Trying to put myself in the players shoes. I can imagine they’d prefer Lambert being here. Any criticism - and Lambert would be likely to get it first and then Evans before them. They’ve both gone and now they can’t hide behind Cook because he’s only just arrived. They’ll be gone before Cook gets sacked. It’s a weird situation because so many players are out of contract- not just one or two. They must all talk and probably many expect to be gone. I very much doubt if many are loyal to Cook because they guess he’s made a decision on them. Cook is actually saying he’s not throwing players under the bus - but he is. I’d say there’s a strange atmosphere behind the scenes.
Could well be best to stick players in that have a chance of being here next season - including a few youngsters.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:41 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am
Hey Marko... Well i just cant see us having time and the players to "gel" next season. Its a massive rebuild and to get 10-15 players in, playing together, performing well.... its a big ask. And thats assuming there are that many quality players willing and able to come to the club.
There is no quick fix for the malaise this club is in, and i think it will take 2 years at best! Prove me wrong PC and Ashton, it would make me the happiest man around.

I also cant see the U23 team being played for the next 6 games. Its the current crop of players mess, and they need to own it and live with it till the bitter end. I am certainly dissapointed with Chambers. Hes supposed to be the link between management and players.. He seems to be doing nothing to help the situation.

True Nics....... when I said I sort of agree..... I agree with the reality...... what I was basically saying was that there is no way this fanbase will tolerate a “gel” season in Shyte-ey League One. Rossi is already getting his musket ready for THIS Saturday.