AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we just going through the motions?

Wimbledon Win
53%
Ipswich Win
24%
Draw
24%

Total votes: 17

nicscreamer

Re: AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 am

Yeah i know. Its beyond tough, and I sort of agree with Rossi too, but in the real world clubs just dont do that sort of wholesale change.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 am
I think a mistake Cook is making is going against his principles. He’s a devout 4-2-3-1 manager and he feels forced to try anything to get something out of the team.
Yep, the past two games have had an air of Paul
Hurst about it after his first 8 or so games ——->> looking to stumble upon. And sadly both with League One level players. Difference is Hurst created that (with available Mevans “funds”) ..... Cook has walked into it.

Big investment and his own players come August with a season objective of PROMOTION...... that’s what people can judge Paul Cook on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 am
I’m not even sure Lambert knew his best team at the end of 2 1/2 years... so I think Cook’s going to struggle piecing it all together in 6-7 weeks.

I think a mistake Cook is making is going against his principles. He’s a devout 4-2-3-1 manager and he feels forced to try anything to get something out of the team. Understandable, but it actually feels more messed up than before. Cook’s going to play 4-2-3-1 next season- I’d say go back to that for the time being to get this bloody season over with. He’s making concessions to the players by adapting to them, and it should be the other way round.

Trying to put myself in the players shoes. I can imagine they’d prefer Lambert being here. Any criticism - and Lambert would be likely to get it first and then Evans before them. They’ve both gone and now they can’t hide behind Cook because he’s only just arrived. They’ll be gone before Cook gets sacked. It’s a weird situation because so many players are out of contract- not just one or two. They must all talk and probably many expect to be gone. I very much doubt if many are loyal to Cook because they guess he’s made a decision on them. Cook is actually saying he’s not throwing players under the bus - but he is. I’d say there’s a strange atmosphere behind the scenes.
Could well be best to stick players in that have a chance of being here next season - including a few youngsters.
Agree with pretty much every word of this.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am
rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am
Well to my mind, we will find out whether or not PC is a good manager this Saturday.

Yes, I know he's inherited a shower of sh*te, and after last night's interview he's as good as admitted that himself.

So, the time to act is now, not next season. He has seen enough of the players he has used over the last 10 games to know that there is no chance of making the play-offs using the same players/formations he has used to date. In my view, a good manager will try to win every game, so he has nothing to lose now by picking a team made up of players he has not used to date (U23s, U18s) and see what happens - at least he will have a chance to see them in League 1 action and get an idea of whether or not they can fit into his future plans.

Good management is about being proactive Mr Cook, not reactive as you have demonstrated by making changes every week but sticking to the same core of players and hoping to hit on a winning combination.

So is he a good manager or not? As far as I'm concerned we have only until Saturday to wait to find out
So Gary are you saying IF he doesn't play the kids etc Saturday he's a bad manager? Really? I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place cus while it's still possible he has to be shown to be playing his best team (yes I know, a joke in itself), to play kids will have the other half of the fan base questioning him, I don't think he can win at this juncture and to be fair I think a good Manager can also be deemed to be one who protects the likes of Dobra, Baggott, etc etc from this shitfest, it is so bad it can only be damaging to them atm.

I would be happy to seea team including the likes of KVY, Kenlock, Nydam, Parrott, Downes, Bishop, Cornell, Jackson etc on Saturday.
what I'm saying, Mike, is that successful management (in any field, not just football) is all about being proactive.

PC has only had 10 games, but what he's done so far is totally reactive - changed formations and personnel, but only personnel from the same 'pool'.
That hasnt worked, and in all honesty I think he knows its not gonna work.
I'm sure he already has in his mind a long list of players who will not be involved next season.
So why pick any of them for the remaining 6 games? Surely it's more proactive to try out some of the younger players to see how they cope in this league, maybe one or two of them will actually get themselves contracts for next season.
As a manager, I know what I'd do.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 pm

:D :D :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Gave the game a miss, who needs to waste time on this sh*t. Got the score late last night, thought about adding to the game thread but realized what's the use of it. Expected to be beaten / team to let you down once more, and wasn't disappointed. Gave the league a glance but it's futile, have accepted now the season is over. Hope and expectation can get you some way but not with this team we got. Don't know how much money will be avaliable in the summer to spend on the recruitment side but the gamechanger group will need deep pockets to remedy this situation. Other than a select few names that i feel warrant a place in the squad the others can go by the wayside, no future here it's imperative they are moved on and out of the club set-up.

Feel at times like berating the new manager but you'd only get backlash and degenerate into a mess with those resolutely in favor. I don't buy into the unwavering opinion that's it (quote) all the players fault, the manager is totally without blame for the start he's made. He's got a certain duty to motivate the team and expected improvement from the Lambert shambles. Doubtless a minority are in actual doubt of his abilities even this early in but you only get castigated for it or told in no uncertain terms your opinion is invalid.

I want him to succeed, not going to hide behind what's right to say and what's not. Just frustrated with the last few weeks and tenure made, there was a clear opportunity to get out this league this season or at least do something and we've failed the objective. Not going to give any more thought on yesterdays game, the team and effort is sub-standard. Just as well we're not fighting a relegation battle or in or around the bottom three as we'd be sure without question to be playing league two 'football' next season.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

Perhaps give the U18's a run out against Charlton, least they have shown they want to play and can win games, good result against Wigan.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:56 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 am
what I'm saying, Mike, is that successful management (in any field, not just football) is all about being proactive.

PC has only had 10 games, but what he's done so far is totally reactive - changed formations and personnel, but only personnel from the same 'pool'.
I'm sure he already has in his mind a long list of players who will not be involved next season.
So why pick any of them for the remaining 6 games? Surely it's more proactive to try out some of the younger players to see how they cope in this league, maybe one or two of them will actually get themselves contracts for next season.
I'm curious what young players you'd suggest Cook should try out? I'm assuming you mean players in the U23s squad?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm
Perhaps give the U18's a run out against Charlton, least they have shown they want to play and can win games, good result against Wigan.
Yeah, lets get beat 6-0 instead of 3-0. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:34 pm

It was a poor team effort and Paul Cook made no secret that he felt let down by his squad, hinting that he will be making major changes this summer, and one of the more disappointing players was Stephen Ward.

The Irish veteran was playing at left-wing-back and lost possession 15 times during the match (Sofascore), with many Tractor Boys fans believing he’s not cut out to wear their shirt – check out some of their reactions.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/past- ... wimbledon/

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:56 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 am

I'm curious what young players you'd suggest Cook should try out? I'm assuming you mean players in the U23s squad?
I would not stop there, I'd be looking at U18s too.

We used to have a saying at school - old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:34 pm
It was a poor team effort and Paul Cook made no secret that he felt let down by his squad, hinting that he will be making major changes this summer, and one of the more disappointing players was Stephen Ward.

The Irish veteran was playing at left-wing-back and lost possession 15 times during the match (Sofascore), with many Tractor Boys fans believing he’s not cut out to wear their shirt – check out some of their reactions.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/past- ... wimbledon/
There are some brilliant comments in there :lol: :lol: