Mark Ashton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazzz67

Re: Mark Ashton

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm

I personally do not know him but dislike him already, listening to others, but, I will give him a chance like we all will, we only want best for the club, let's hope he does a great job here and we see improvements.

Lets face it surely we cannot get no worse than we are now lol, if he turns things around (also same with PC) then we will all be happy!

But my main concern is the size of the carpentry bill that's coming, widening all the doors to get his head in it must be the size of some agents fees lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Disliking him already is not giving him a chance, form you own opinion when you do get to know more about him and see what he produces here, as we all know a large percentage of Football fans these days are fucktards and numbskulls who spout sh*te, god knows this club has enough of them. We may just be pleasantly surprised.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Question re MA.

He’s due to start work at Town from June 1st.

Given the monumental amount of work to fibre contracts , players in , players out etc , isn’t that start date a bit late to help / organise / execute the work needing to be done? I know contracts all start snd finish fir all players in June, but players ( coming in ) need to be identified. How’s he going to do this if he’s still employed by BC ?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:34 pm

Having a CEO with good football experience and decent contacts is exactly what this club has been devoid of for a while, so on that basis alone i welcome Mark Ashton's appointment.
It is very easy to point fingers at the people in power at a football club, but i would rather take the facts presented to us, rather than listening to Bristol fans who all obviously know how to run a football club and keep the books balanced better than those in the hot seat. League placings had (until last season i believe) had improved year on year. BCFC are in the black too if i read things correctly.
I bet a lot fans are probably upset at seeing their best players being sold (at great profit) to be replaced by the next crop of near unknowns waiting to be developed. Who amongst us would be happy with Ashton if he came in and managed to secure top dollar for Downes and Dozzell? Not many, certainly in the case of the former. That said, i see that is going to be the way things progress here in a few years time. Obviously BC's plan is not infallible as seems the case from their drop off in league position, but if we can start unearthing a few gems who earn us an eventual tidy profit, then i have little issue with that.
If their gripe is his perceived arrogance or a hardline approach, i would much rather have that than someone who is a soft touch in the transfer market and all football dealings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:35 pm

That's the official start date, wouldn't surprise me if he has started already.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:36 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:34 pm
Having a CEO with good football experience and decent contacts is exactly what this club has been devoid of for a while, so on that basis alone i welcome Mark Ashton's appointment.
It is very easy to point fingers at the people in power at a football club, but i would rather take the facts presented to us, rather than listening to Bristol fans who all obviously know how to run a football club and keep the books balanced better than those in the hot seat. League placings had (until last season i believe) had improved year on year. BCFC are in the black too if i read things correctly.
I bet a lot fans are probably upset at seeing their best players being sold (at great profit) to be replaced by the next crop of near unknowns waiting to be developed. Who amongst us would be happy with Ashton if he came in and managed to secure top dollar for Downes and Dozzell? Not many, certainly in the case of the former. That said, i see that is going to be the way things progress here in a few years time. Obviously BC's plan is not infallible as seems the case from their drop off in league position, but if we can start unearthing a few gems who earn us an eventual tidy profit, then i have little issue with that.
If their gripe is his perceived arrogance or a hardline approach, i would much rather have that than someone who is a soft touch in the transfer market and all football dealings.
Agreed, but since when have Bristol City been entitled to be near the Championships top Six, a bit of perspective is needed for me.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm
But my main concern is the size of the carpentry bill that's coming, widening all the doors to get his head in it must be the size of some agents fees lol.
:lol: 👍👏👏👏

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm
Question re MA.

Given the monumental amount of work to fibre contracts , players in , players out etc , isn’t that start date a bit late to help / organise / execute the work needing to be done? I know contracts all start snd finish fir all players in June, but players ( coming in ) need to be identified. How’s he going to do this if he’s still employed by BC ?
I know you have problems with auto-correct and I enjoy the challenge of working them out.. but I’m struggling with this one.

With Ashton, I’m assuming you have to officially give at least a months notice when the start of that calendar months notice will be the start of next month. Hence, May 31 will be the last day of his employment. Mind you, BC could well want him out of the door ASAP because why would you want a top executive dealing with important future stuff when his mind is elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already both dealing with ITFC stuff and also sorting out his handovers/ cleaning his desk.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm
... as we all know a large percentage of Football fans these days are fucktards and numbskulls who spout sh*te,......
Don’t hold back, Mike. :lol: 👌🤘🤘🤘

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Question re MA.

I know you have problems with auto-correct and I enjoy the challenge of working them out.. but I’m struggling with this one.

With Ashton, I’m assuming you have to officially give at least a months notice when the start of that calendar months notice will be the start of next month. Hence, May 31 will be the last day of his employment. Mind you, BC could well want him out of the door ASAP because why would you want a top executive dealing with important future stuff when his mind is elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already both dealing with ITFC stuff and also sorting out his handovers/ cleaning his desk.
What she’s saying is Ashton needs to bum the BT guy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm
... as we all know a large percentage of Football fans these days are fucktards and numbskulls who spout sh*te,......
Don’t hold back, Mike. :lol: 👌🤘🤘🤘
Lmao I DID hold back :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Question re MA.

Given the monumental amount of work to fibre contracts , players in , players out etc , isn’t that start date a bit late to help / organise / execute the work needing to be done? I know contracts all start and finish for all players in June, but players ( coming in ) need to be identified. How’s he going to do this if he’s still employed by BC ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry tang ! I'll be honest and say I have no idea what my IPhone decided to type ..(it weren't me gov)...I suspect there's a clause in his departure that means we cant go after BC players lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 pm
tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Question re MA.

What she’s saying is Ashton needs to bum the BT guy.
if I didn't know better marko , id say you're fantasising :lol: :lol:
Last edited by hallamblue on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 am

Interesting resumè of our new CEO. He certainly takes no prisoners and generally gets the job done on all levels.

He also didn’t offer Cook the job recently at Bristol City ! So guess PC will need to produce the results next season or I can see Ashton acting . Anyway let’s see what happens over the summer which I think will be very exciting for us Town fans . Out feel good factor is long over due.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... on-7898856

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:14 am

He didn't offer him the City job cus he wanted him here.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 am

This is what I find weird.

Mark Ashton was a goalkeeper for West Brom’s youth and reserve teams during the late 80s. He went on to became a director at the Hawthorns in 1990, a role he held for 14 years.

How do you go from being a teenage youth and reserve GK ... to being a 20 year Director at a professional football club? That’s like Harry Wright or Adam Przbek hanging up their gloves and then being given a place on the board. Doesn’t make sense.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am

Maybe it should be the 60s ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am

I dont take any notice at all of what BC fans are saying about him - different club, different circumstances, and besides the majority of people who post on such topics do so negatively (the same as for any review site).

As far as I'm concerned, he knows about football and that's a big improvement on the CEOs we have had lately. He's not here to be popular, he's not here to make friends with everybody, he's here to get the job done and very often that involves being hard-nosed - so be it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am

Agree completely Gary

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 am

Kind of agree with that. It could be we’re moaning about him in 2-3 years time but then we could established back in the Championship. I prefer to have an unpopular, but competent CEO than a likeable, incompetent one. Ian Milne was apparently a very decent chap, but didn’t know much about football.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 am

hallamblue wrote:
Question re MA.

Hallam, he's already stated in his one and only press release that he is dedicated to BC until he is released by them from his contract, and write rightly so. Maybe they will release him early, at the moment he didn't indicate that they had. So he will start work for us officially on 1st June. I'm sure he has plenty of work to do at BC to handover to the new CEO. 1st June is only 6 weeks away you know.......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 pm

So you’re agreeing with me then !

He’s still employed by Bristol City. And my point is , he is unable to do (what I would perceive to be ), very urgent work NOW, to enable Paul Cook to be ready for the start of next season .

I KNOW he’s employed by BC until June 1st. I’ve said that !

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Unless Mark Ashton is a 25 goal a season striker which he is not wtf does he bring to the party?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 pm

The experience of being a very CEO . Certainly beats the sh*t out of anything we’ve had in over a decade !