Mark Ashton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Mark Ashton

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town

Looks like it's Mark Ashton lets hope it's the right choice.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Mark Ashton

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am

Let's hope he's given a chance too as we are often way to pre-judgemental.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 am

Honestly not sure if I’m happy with this if not tbh , the Bristol fans are euphoric that he’s leaving .... so what does that tell us ? 🤷‍♀️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ns-5291005

Maybe this will help explain
Can we believe someone called Gregor McGregor doing the journalism here?

I think Ronald McDonald says double cheeseburgers are good for you if you have a wee salad with it, washed down with a bucket of fizzy juice and a McFlurry for dessert.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:

That’s quite a balanced article. Obviously very experienced as a CEO - that’s what we want. I get the impression he’s become unpopular just over the last year with the appointment of the manager and the transfer dealings. Not sure he’s been under-fire all his time there and seems pretty successful for most of it. Not sure I’m completely convinced by BC’s fans reaction. We, as fans, are always looking for a scapegoat and maybe he’s being unfairly targeted. They’re obviously underwhelmed over the last one or two years, but Ashton seems to have left them in a better place than he found them. Time will tell. Just hope him and Cook get on, especially with recruitment. That’s got to be key this summer.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:

I'm not sure what to think but as long as Paul Cook can get the players that he wants in and is left to do his job and we don't sell all our better players ( Have we got any 🤔 ) but get top money for those that go then that's fine.👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Named Championship CEO of the Year in 2019, Ashton has been credited with wily transfer dealings which have seen the Robins net significant profits in the player trading market, while Ashton Gate and the club’s training infrastructure have also been transformed during his time with the club.

Yeah he sounds terrible

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Someone who knows what he is doing and has experience in the business. Both boxes ticked. Good for me. We can hope to start to look like a proper football club again.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Was going to say the same thing Mike, look at our own past CEO’s by comparison.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm

Yes but previous ITFC CEO’s were under the influence of a Marcus Evans “5 point Fantasy wind & pish Plan” .... wouldn’t be too hard on them.

Read it through to the end. Sounds like maybe Tang has the correct scenario happening over there @ Ashton Gate ——> they need a scapegoat and he’s it.

Off for a Wispa Gold McFlurry. 👍

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:49 pm
Was going to say the same thing Mike, look at our own past CEO’s by comparison.
Exactly, Great point and lets not bash the guy even before he steps into his office

If reading that like been mentioned, it's not all bad news

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 pm

I wasn’t saying anything untoward about him !!
I said I wasn’t sure ... the Bristol fans appear very happy he’s going . that’s one piece of info or opinion.. then the Bristol article Ive posted ( link) gives another side .

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Total disaster coming our way, my BC mate also states the same as the comment below too....

'I pity the Tractor Boys. Ashton is horrendous. BCFC fans are wildly celebrating his departure, which gives you some indication of his popularity. Ipswich deserve better.'

If he does turn out to be a cluster then I am hoping someone will have the brass to ditch him, will wait and see on this one. Knew it was all sounding too good to be true.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm

The Tractor Boys will see that over the past five years, since Ashton arrived in BS3 in an official capacity, the Robins have stabilised after immediate flirtation with relegation following the 2015 double-winning promotion under Steve Cotterill. And after that: Championship league finishes of 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th and back down to 12th last year, mixed in with beating Manchester United and making the Carabao Cup semi-finals, a highpoint on the pitch.
How's that compare to ITFC's last 5 years then?

Anyone who can get 20mil for Adam Webster is a genius in my book. Who knows...maybe in five years after we consistently finish in the top 10 of the Championship we'll be fed up with Mr Ashton for selling Flynn Downes and Andre Dozzell in multi-million pound transfers. We the fans may be saying, we're sick of that Ashton fella...when are we getting to the Premier League?! Moans I personally can't wait to have again. I rue the day when I complain about being at the top of the Championship...again. :wink:

It's all well and good Bristol City fans are done with Mark Ashton. They've chewed him up and spat him out. Conversely for Ipswich Town FC, Ashton is the ingredient we've been crying for: An Experienced Football Minded CEO! Btw, have a look at Ashton's connections.
Last edited by number 9 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:59 pm

https://www.facebook.com/26323504708685 ... 677571488/

Well he's appointed already, get used to it and get behind him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:22 pm

Forgot to check earlier, but don’t Know where they’re getting the “double promotion” from. They were relegated and were promoted couple seasons later. They were never in L2 around that time or the premier league. There was no double promotion.
So.......check the validity of everything else!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm
The Tractor Boys will see that over the past five years, since Ashton arrived in BS3 in an official capacity, the Robins have stabilised after immediate flirtation with relegation following the 2015 double-winning promotion under Steve Cotterill. And after that: Championship league finishes of 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th and back down to 12th last year, mixed in with beating Manchester United and making the Carabao Cup semi-finals, a highpoint on the pitch.
How's that compare to ITFC's last 5 years then?

Anyone who can get 20mil for Adam Webster is a genius in my book. Who knows...maybe in five years after we consistently finish in the top 10 of the Championship we'll be fed up with Mr Ashton for selling Flynn Downes and Andre Dozzell in multi-million pound transfers. We the fans may be saying, we're sick of that Ashton fella...when are we getting to the Premier League?! Moans I personally can't wait to have again. I rue the day when I complain about being at the top of the Championship...again. :wink:

It's all well and good Bristol City fans are done with Mark Ashton. They've chewed him up and spat him out. Conversely for Ipswich Town FC, Ashton is the ingredient we've been crying for: An Experienced Football Minded CEO! Btw, have a look at Ashton's connections.
Yep, I like that post No9.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:22 pm
Forgot to check earlier, but don’t Know where they’re getting the “double promotion” from. They were relegated and were promoted couple seasons later. They were never in L2 around that time or the premier league. There was no double promotion.
So.......check the validity of everything else!
I thought that odd, too. But it said double-winning promotion. Looks like they won L1 title AND Football League Cup (now Papa Johns Trophy) in the same season. Yep, they could have just stuck with promotion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Got it. “2015 double (including) winning promotion”
Didn’t realise the Pizza Cup could be regarded as part of a “double” but it’s still a cup I suppose. I’m sure many Ipswich Town fans would’ve been pished until the Wednesday after adding that to the cabinet. Not being sarcastic....... serious. It’s a trophy. 🤷‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:58 pm

I’m assuming a CEO has to sort just about everything out at a club , that would include things like....?

Player identification
Selling / buying / contracts
Academy development
Stadium maintenance
Season ticket price’s
Corporate sales
Background staff identification,( training, coaching, medical, and hiring, firing

He’s going to be one helluva busy guy.

Welcome to ITFC, and let’s get this ball rolling..... COYBs

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:56 pm

I think the key issue will be the relationship between Ashton & Cook..

I hope they will complement each other.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Player identification? The CEO?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 pm

You have got to believe that the news blokes have done their homework and the amount of money that they have spent and hopefully going to spend are going to be looked after by Ashton.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:21 pm

If the new owners are happy, I am happy. They have been doing their research and due diligence. They also have history with him so I will trust their judgement. As we pass Bristol City in the league we can stuff their glee down their throats just like others (ie the scum) have done to us in the past... all is fair in love and war... so excited for the next season or two - COYB's!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 pm

When I read some of the sh*t some of our fans write on Facebook and TWTD would I really give a toss what Bristol City fans think of someone who’s just stuck two fingers up to them. We have some fans who actually think our current form is all Paul Cooks fault.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 pm
When I read some of the sh*t some of our fans write on Facebook and TWTD would I really give a toss what Bristol City fans think of someone who’s just stuck two fingers up to them. We have some fans who actually think our current form is all Paul Cooks fault.
Exactly, beggars belief

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 am

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 pm
You have got to believe that the news blokes have done their homework and the amount of money that they have spent and hopefully going to spend are going to be looked after by Ashton.
Yep, exactly

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm

if you look on OTIB there's a 17 page thread about the issue. Well worth a look if you got the time, relevant and comprehensive insight from leaving one club set-up and joining up with another.

General consensus there is they're pleased (or some overjoyed) to be rid. Doesn't boost confidence coming our way but guess it's a scenario where one individual can fare better or be more successful at one team set-up than another.

Whether you're for or against it the best direction here is to simply get behind the individual and offer support. The names that have departed the club just recent i.e. lambert, evans, haven't left a void, it's a window of opportunity. Arguably those that have come in and replaced them won't be for everybody but you got to override your emotions and target what's best for the club. Hard to see at the moment but given enough time, hopefully in the not too distant future, we'll once again be a competitive team with exciting additions and on the verge of a return to the EPL. Almost in the realms of fiction as it stands but things can only improve.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Maybe he’s just got a character that people don’t like? Maybe just arrogant? Let’s face it, a few of us weren’t that fussed whether McCarthy stayed or not, but the majority wanted him out because of his arrogance towards fans.

Maybe........ when it got difficult at BC...... he became McCarthy-like and that’s the basis of most fans wanting him out? Feck all to do with his achievements and what he can do as a CEO.