Next Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Next Season

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 pm

With div 1 teams only being allowed 20 players over 21 in the squad how much will that make to Cooks decision as to decide on the older players ?, Someone on TWTD saying Chambers has been told that no contract offer will be made but they are trying to offer him something behind the scenes.

Tangfastic

Re: Next Season

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:30 pm

I’d imagine he’s already decided about the senior players. This week he’s put a grenade under the whole squad and I can’t see him getting thanked by the senior members of the squad. If Cook wanted to retain a number of senior players and then just add others in then he wouldn’t have gone ballistic like he did.

I do wonder if Cook’s outburst today is curtains for Chambers. Why would you go Demolition Man and then retain the most influential player in the dressing room over the last few years? He’s mentioned lack of trust and if that’s such a big issue, then you’d want to re-start afresh and cut Chambers loose.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 pm

It’s not just Chambers though is it . It’s the whole senior squad . Cook clearly doesn’t trust a single one of them . How very apt Judges words came back to bite him in the arse !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 pm
It’s not just Chambers though is it . It’s the whole senior squad . Cook clearly doesn’t trust a single one of them . How very apt Judges words came back to bite him in the arse !
Yes, it is the whole squad, but Chambers is - rightly or wrongly - going to be the focal point of that group of players - him being the Club and Team Captain.
He must also take Cook’s words more personally than most. When Cook says he can’t trust anyone, that’s got to hit home to someone who’s responsible for the dressing room. I’ve heard the rumours that they’re trying to find Chambers a position in the club as a non-playing member of staff. Not sure how that’s going to work out. If we’re going to bring in new players to hopefully install a new culture and new winning mentality- then why would you hang on to someone who’s got a lot of baggage and been around a club too long in free-fall. It’s better to part company for all parties.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 am

Maybe, but if they do that then perhaps that's them saying 'Luke wasn't part of the problem and we thank him for his service'. If he wants to continue in the game, then that first job is often the hardest to get, it would be a foot up to a faithful servant who had to endure crap times (if that's how they see it).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:42 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 am
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 pm
Yes, it is the whole squad, but Chambers is - rightly or wrongly - going to be the focal point of that group of players - him being the Club and Team Captain.
He must also take Cook’s words more personally than most. When Cook says he can’t trust anyone, that’s got to hit home to someone who’s responsible for the dressing room. I’ve heard the rumours that they’re trying to find Chambers a position in the club as a non-playing member of staff. Not sure how that’s going to work out. If we’re going to bring in new players to hopefully install a new culture and new winning mentality- then why would you hang on to someone who’s got a lot of baggage and been around a club too long in free-fall. It’s better to part company for all parties.
Couldn’t agree with you more. I was until quite recently all for keeping Chambers snd Skuse involved at the Club in some capacity. And as much as they probably go behind the scenes now already , I can’t help but feel there is a need to totally sweep away the whole lot and really start totally free from the past influences. I think Chambers is actually strong influence in the squad , but not necessarily the right influence . I’ve been noticing his distinct lack of vocal presence on the pitch and i front of the media this season particularly and I wonder why this is the case. Something just doesn’t sit right anymore .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 am
Maybe, but if they do that then perhaps that's them saying 'Luke wasn't part of the problem and we thank him for his service'. If he wants to continue in the game, then that first job is often the hardest to get, it would be a foot up to a faithful servant who had to endure crap times (if that's how they see it).
I think Skuse has been doing his badges for a while now, but has Chambers?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:34 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 am
Well the ‘they’ in this case are going to be people who are new to the club. The manager, the owners and the CEO. Judging by Cook’s Demolition Man routine yesterday, he’s going to be ruthless. And I can’t see the others being less ruthless and sentimentality is likely to be way down the priority list.

If you want to be respectful and gracious about loyal players like Chambers and Skuse, you don’t necessarily have to give them another job. The only criteria should be whether they can take us forward and are better candidates than others. If not, it’s time to say thanks and goodbye.

Over the years I’ve heard fans talk about certain players/ ex-players that ‘they know the club’ as if those types are needed to maintain a wonderful conveyor-belt of history and success. Truth is... it’s been mostly miserable for a long time. I’m not sure I want to keep hold of something from our recent past.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am

Cook’s comments after the game suggests something will be offered to Chambers.

“Going forward, Luke will have decisions to make on his future in the summer. I certainly think Luke can be around after the summer if he wants to be. What part might be might be different, but that’s between me and Luke.”

Doesn’t sound as if it’s a standard playing contract if Chambers has to make a decision. Or maybe it’s just the captaincy that will be taken away.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 am

As has been said above say goodbye to the older players and hope to rescue the young ones from this culture that has spread through the dressing room.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 am

I’ve copied this comment to this thread as seemed more appropriate place for it ....

Next season I wonder if The Club will will go for any season long loanees ( Parrott and McGuinness?) or will we as a club dispense with loan players and only buy in our own . That would be novel wouldn’t it !

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Of this current squad all I want to see remain is around 8 players, all loans back to their respective clubs, of the loans PC reckons that Parrot is the only choice for a recall :shock: I also think that Luke Chambers along with Cole Scuse maybe be offered a coaching roll within the club, whether its taken up is up to them, It might be too demeaning and they want to carry on playing but certainly not here.

We must bring in a New Captain, someone who will command respect and is very vocal and also a very good player, someone like Jason DeVos when he was our captain.

And of course a striker who can score 20 + goals per season, someone like Doyle of Bolton.

It will be a very interesting summer for Paul Cook, as he knows he has to build a good reliable team, as his Managers position will be under constant review, as our new owners wont be pissed around with excuses for poor performances, and rightly so.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Chambers and Skuse! Both have been central in this mess so why do anybody think they would be suitable to coach the new crop of players that are coming our way?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 pm
And of course a striker who can score 20 + goals per season, someone like Doyle of Bolton.
How many did Norwood score in league 1 for Tranmere in the season before he joined us? I'm not sure the strikers are the priority to be honest.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 pm

I think the strikers are very much a priority because ours are tripe, including Norwood who scored his goals in League Two and non league.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:26 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Chambers and Skuse! Both have been central in this mess so why do anybody think they would be suitable to coach the new crop of players that are coming our way?
agree 100% - it beggars belief

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 pm
I think the strikers are very much a priority because ours are tripe, including Norwood who scored his goals in League Two and non league.
Apologies, Norwood's goals were in L2 not L1.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm

His problem is he’s always injured . He was even injured when we bought him. Only Ipswich would buy an injured player . We have constantly done this

Chopra
McGoldrick
“Joniesta”
Huws

To name but a few

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 pm
.....someone like Doyle of Bolton.
Nope. Definitely not. Memory not as it used to be so I googled......., 49 games for Hibs, 11 goals. But all were on a plate .... and he missed more chances than Norwood.

And he's 33........, So, please ----- >>> NO!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Just seen this from TWTD. From Greyhound - who correctly called the takeover to the exact day.

Hearing rumours that the next stage of the clear out is awaiting announcement.

Jack lankaster among those names that I've been given as well as a large portion of under 23s

Looks like Lankester is on his way out. Pity - but he hasn’t improved this year. And another not strong enough.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:14 pm

I won't be sad or disappointed at any name departing now, I'm seriously sick to death of all of them, they are either sh*te or injury prone.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:14 pm
I won't be sad or disappointed at any name departing now, I'm seriously sick to death of all of them, they are either sh*te or injury prone.
Some of them are both.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 16, 2021 2:20 pm

Cookie needs to be like Ross County manager Yogi Hughes next season.
Ross County only needed the draw today....... big yogi last night: “If ma players turn up to play fur a draw, then just Dinnae pit the jersey oan! Ye play tae win. And we’ll be playing TO WIN.”

🤣🤣 Love big Yogi Hughes.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu May 20, 2021 5:15 am

Well at "half time" in the League One play-offs it looks like Blackpool are very much in the driving seat (along with Lincoln)! Isn't it ironic that the one team we had positive results against over 2 games are in such a promosing position?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 21, 2021 9:29 am

I said before the play offs started that I felt Blackpool would be the team to go up. They’re in a rich vein of form over the last couple of months I think..