Northampton Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we compete with the mighty 'Cobblers'?

N-Town win
36%
I-Town Win
43%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

rossi

Re: Northampton Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm
Will be interesting to see how the new owners look at the current situation at the club. They may see it as a case of the players trying to throw PC under the bus or start to have doubts whether he was the right appointment. If they feel he is not the right person to take us forward then it would not surprise me to see them act quickly.
Knowing American paymasters as I do, I would not be surprised if they take a double negative from all of this - they will see the fact that player power is prevalent as a managerial weakness on his part, and the results and especially lack of goals will be perceived as a technical weakness. I would not be surprised to see him sacked within days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 pm
I haven’t posted on here for a few weeks. To be honest I got bored of the same individuals blaming the same players. We all have our favourites and those we don’t like and you just know who each poster is going to blame before you look.
But I’m with Rossi here. Cook has done nothing. It’s not just results, the performances have been awful. Look at Chambers; he’s had a decent season at right back. Moved back to central defence and doing ok. But then played on the left of a back 3 and struggled - can’t get forward from there and can’t make the pass on his wrong foot, so he’s dropped. And look how those central defenders did today. The decision not to play him probably cost us the game. Playing one up front when our only striker who can play that role is injured... poor management.
I appreciate that our players aren’t great - in was one of the few at the start of the season saying just that, despite others’ insistence that we had the best squad in the league. Cook might - and only might - do better when he can bring in players to play in his desired formation. My is that will be a big striker and lump it long. The players lack confidence. And since Cook arrived, they have got worse.

I think when PC took over he looked at that squad and Genuinely felt they could gain promotion. He’s tired to get them to play at a higher tempo, and they simply are not fit enough to do it. He’s chopped and changed the team around trying to find a system that they can adapt too, and again , the6 are incapable of adapting. On the outside it looks like the manager hasn’t got a clue. But these are supposed to be professional footballers. Yet they cannot ...will not ! Adapt to a style of game that requires much more effort and fitness. They can’t even train twice a day. They’ve been used to playing “ walking football”under Lambert for most of his time at Town. Cook comes in and the game , tempo is ramped up significantly...they can’t or want do it for him. Now he’s called them out after the Wimbledon game, they are ( shock amazement) play worse.

This squad are not playing for the manager.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the new owners look at the current situation at the club. They may see it as a case of the players trying to throw PC under the bus or start to have doubts whether he was the right appointment. If they feel he is not the right person to take us forward then it would not surprise me to see them act quickly.
Knowing American paymasters as I do, I would not be surprised if they take a double negative from all of this - they will see the fact that player power is prevalent as a managerial weakness on his part, and the results and especially lack of goals will be perceived as a technical weakness. I would not be surprised to see him sacked within days.
I don’t think there is any player power. Poor tactics, poor formation, poor team selections.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 pm

I must admit that my faith in PC has been shaken.

We do need to wait until next season to really judge him: after he has brought in his players, and after the new team have had a few games to bed in.

However, this group of players have given up. They seem, as has been suggested above, to want to throw Cook under the bus. That is a worry. Is he someone who can inspire players? Is he a good man Manager? His record up to now suggests he is, but the utter dross we've been witnessing since his appointment is a worry.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm
rossi wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
I don’t think there is any player power. Poor tactics, poor formation, poor team selections.

What team, and what formation would you be expecting with the current fit players Andy please?

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Andym wrote:
rossi wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
I don't disagree with you, Andy, and I would add poor coaching into the mix

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 pm
I haven’t posted on here for a few weeks. To be honest I got bored of the same individuals blaming the same players. We all have our favourites and those we don’t like and you just know who each poster is going to blame before you look.
But I’m with Rossi here. Cook has done nothing. It’s not just results, the performances have been awful. Look at Chambers; he’s had a decent season at right back. Moved back to central defence and doing ok. But then played on the left of a back 3 and struggled - can’t get forward from there and can’t make the pass on his wrong foot, so he’s dropped. And look how those central defenders did today. The decision not to play him probably cost us the game. Playing one up front when our only striker who can play that role is injured... poor management.
I appreciate that our players aren’t great - in was one of the few at the start of the season saying just that, despite others’ insistence that we had the best squad in the league. Cook might - and only might - do better when he can bring in players to play in his desired formation. My is that will be a big striker and lump it long. The players lack confidence. And since Cook arrived, they have got worse.

I think when PC took over he looked at that squad and Genuinely felt they could gain promotion. He’s tired to get them to play at a higher tempo, and they simply are not fit enough to do it. He’s chopped and changed the team around trying to find a system that they can adapt too, and again , the6 are incapable of adapting. On the outside it looks like the manager hasn’t got a clue. But these are supposed to be professional footballers. Yet they cannot ...will not ! Adapt to a style of game that requires much more effort and fitness. They can’t even train twice a day. They’ve been used to playing “ walking football”under Lambert for most of his time at Town. Cook comes in and the game , tempo is ramped up significantly...they can’t or want do it for him. Now he’s called them out after the Wimbledon game, they are ( shock amazement) play worse.

This squad are not playing for the manager.
I agree the squad is not fit enough. When we have tried to close teams down we have run out of steam after half an hour. But the manager had to take responsibility for playing that game if the players can’t do it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm

There was no INSISTENCE that Ipswich had the best squad.

But there was INCESSANT reminders that it was said.

You need to get that accurate.
Not sure what you’re saying. I guess it’s a dig at me for saying it more than once. Fair enough. But I don’t think I’m the only one who repeats a point of view. In my defence I’ve never been one to criticise the same individual game after game like some do on here. At least I try to be constructive in what I say and recognise when players I don’t rate have a decent game.
No. Its not a dig.

You said there was insistent claims that Ipswich were the best side. There weren't "insistent" claims. It was said a few times.

But there were incessant & insistent reminders to the person(s) who said it ---->> THAT they actually SAID it.

After every defeat, "We've got the best side in the league remember." Was unreal.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm

I think we are seeing the squirming and squealing and the final throw of a soon to be disbanded dysfunctional squad. It’s been a carp squad for over three years ...not just 12 games under Cook.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 pm
Andym wrote:
rossi wrote:

What team, and what formation would you be expecting with the current fit players Andy please?
In all honesty I don’t know who is fit and who isn’t. But I certainly wouldn’t play the central defensive clowns from tonight in front of Chambers I wouldn’t play a lone striker without Norwood. But pay me what Cook is paid C and I’ll try to come with a proper answer 😊

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm
I think we are seeing the squirming and squealing and the final throw of a soon to be disbanded dysfunctional squad. It’s been a carp squad for over three years ...not just 12 games under Cook.
sounds a bit fishy to me, Liz :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Something fishy definitely going on.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm

There was no INSISTENCE that Ipswich had the best squad.

But there was INCESSANT reminders that it was said.

You need to get that accurate.
Not sure what you’re saying. I guess it’s a dig at me for saying it more than once. Fair enough. But I don’t think I’m the only one who repeats a point of view. In my defence I’ve never been one to criticise the same individual game after game like some do on here. At least I try to be constructive in what I say and recognise when players I don’t rate have a decent game.
No. Its not a dig.

You said there was insistent claims that Ipswich were the best side. There weren't "insistent" claims. It was said a few times.

But there were incessant & insistent reminders to the person(s) who said it ---->> THAT they actually SAID it.

After every defeat, "We've got the best side in the league remember." Was unreal.
Not unreal. Very real. It was said by several.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 pm

I think it’s easy to start blaming the manager right now, but in all reality the squad Cook inherited has underachieved for more than three years. Cook has done well with different players on different teams. He’s proven he has the ability to motivate. Maybe not with this lot, but what have they accomplished?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:50 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm
It was said by several.
Which is great. Positivity.

But when it starts going paps up with Lambert......, "best squad in the league" reminders are always going to be helpful. I think the majority of us on this forum thought the team was quite strong for L1. Turns out the more "cautious" were correct and CONSTANTLY reminded the forum of it. You not remember any of this? During Lambo's early time?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:50 pm
Andym wrote:
It was said by several.

But when it starts going paps up with Lambert......, "best squad in the league" reminders are always going to be helpful. I think the majority of us on this forum thought the team was quite strong for L1. Turns out the more "cautious" were correct and CONSTANTLY reminded the forum of it. You not remember any of this? During Lambo's early time?
I must be thick because I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say. I’ll just f*ck off again because I clearly wind up all the moderators. You’ve all had a go at me in turn. Just f**king ban me if you don’t like what I say.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:
sounds a bit fishy to me, Liz :lol:
Lol buggar just seen that ...... trying to keep Tsing entertained with my typos ha ha

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Something fishy definitely going on.
Don’t you start !! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:50 pm
Andym wrote:
It was said by several.

I must be thick because I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say. I’ll just f*ck off again because I clearly wind up all the moderators. You’ve all had a go at me in turn. Just f**king ban me if you don’t like what I say.
Holy shyte, Andy..... nothing I am saying is AIMED at you. Feckin calm down man. Jaysus Christ.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 pm

ALL I SAID WAS......... there wasn't much INSISTENCE that the squad was the best. Not that I can personally recall.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Keep posting Andym!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:38 pm
Keep posting Andym!
Yep. Echo that. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 am

I was definitely one who stated our squad was the strongest, so what ? Its my bloody opinion! Some you get right and some you don't, at least I have an opinion before the damn event, better than jumping on the bandwagon after the event, we can all be right doing that.

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 am
I was definitely one who stated our squad was the strongest, so what ? Its my bloody opinion! Some you get right and some you don't, at least I have an opinion before the damn event, better than jumping on the bandwagon after the event, we can all be right doing that.
Correct Mike, but folk will always disagree with others ☹

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am

The sooner this season is done with and this misfit squad is ripped up the better . I’m watching my “ free” next home game and then that’s it for me with this shower of shyte!
Last edited by hallamblue on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Sometimes it's tough to pick the right words, there's a glimmer of interest somewhere regards the team and what remains of the season but this is still by and large unacceptable. As much as you'd like to berate the manager it's futile, gets you nowhere. Just accept "none of this is his doing, is completely without blame etc" and you can just pull a rug over it. That way it's much easier, saves time also.

Last time we scored a goal can't even recall right now. Five games is it, Yes we're poor but this is near embarrassing. Opposition may have played as they should given their own objectives but all things being equal we should be taking points off teams of this nature.

Like banging heads against proverbial walls, Yes there's a new owner, new team coach, certain dead-weight have moved on but it still resembles sh*t out there. The amount of change needed after May at the club in terms of playing personnel and perception is colossal. Needs something of Babylonian proportion to propel this mess in the right direction, whether Johnson and O'Leary are able to undertake the magnitude of what is required is open to question. It's not so much having doubts in their perceived abilities, sure they'll do a great job you can argue, but such is the fall from once before and how evidently poor the team really is, makes you wonder if anyone bar supernatural forces can make good of what's out there.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:39 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... supporters

Cooks post match comments if you missed them.