This so called Super League

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Steve and Jo

Re: This so called Super League

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 pm

The clubs mentioned are already taking out legal action in taking provisions against any counter acting from Premier League, The FA, PFA, LMA, the FSA and colleagues across European including UEFA. They say it's to protect themselves

Hoping this backfires for I cannot see why leagues and organisations such as UEFA, FA and FIFA cannot say who can play and who not in their competitions

What a group of total greedy, non caring utter bast*rds. Bet they are totally surprised by the reactions and yet they shouldn't be for Football is for the masses, working class and not the high and mighty tossers up in their penthouses and mansions.

Trying to run this super league like America runs their American football. How dare they !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 pm
The clubs mentioned are already taking out legal action in taking provisions against any counter acting from Premier League, The FA, PFA, LMA, the FSA and colleagues across European including UEFA. They say it's to protect themselves

Hoping this backfires for I cannot see why leagues and organisations such as UEFA, FA and FIFA cannot say who can play and who not in their competitions

What a group of total greedy, non caring utter bast*rds. Bet they are totally surprised by the reactions and yet they shouldn't be for Football is for the masses, working class and not the high and mighty tossers up in their penthouses and mansions.

Trying to run this super league like America runs their American football. How dare they !!
Well maybe if they want to treat their clubs like franchises.... then let them take their clubs to other countries. They can take their players to Riyad or New York. Call themselves Riyad Man Utd or NY Liverpool. Start again elsewhere, tear up whole club histories and see if there’s the same interest. Im not sure these clubs have the power to conduct their businesses just how they want here. Surely, there must be regulations in this country to say you can’t operate as a monopoly or that it’s non-competitive or whatever.

I’m not sure they really want this and it’s a just bargaining tool. I think they just want a bigger chunk of the CL pie. If it is an opening bargaining gambit, I think it’s backfired. f*ck em.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Someone on the other forum made the comment that this Super League is doing nothing different to what the Premier League has been doing to the EFL for years .... have to say he has a point .

The professional scene stinks tbh and has done for years . It’s always been about money and the Sky funded PL has bullied and called the shots for years , now a bigger more wealthy bully is doing the same to them . Laughable really !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Some of the clubs listed seem to have no right to be involved. Don't pay much notice to the EPL now but Spurs and Arsenal to be included, last looked they were nearer mid-league. How the hell do you fit them into Champions League criteria ? Oh Yes, they're "big clubs" aren't they... Can hardly omit them from any plans can you.

Champions League many would argue is bullshit anyhow. You got teams involved who are not champions of their respective leagues, hell you can finish third or fourth somewhere in Europe and still have a shot at it. Many of the teams that go on to win did not finish in #1 position in their league season before. They changed the old format in the mid 1990s you'll remember, some today won't even recall anything resembling "The European Cup"

Timing is absurd also. At the as*-end of a worldwide pandemic where many teams have lost substantial money through lack of revenue, struggling to make ends meet and now they want to implement this idea. Accept sometimes people have got their heads so far up their as* they're unable to think rationally or make viable decisions but the sum total of this is greed nothing more. All about cash and those with their hands out, f*ck everyone else, these are the worse type of bastards.

This has yet to be given the green light and it's being rejected on many fronts by leading organizations and those within power. Can only imagine the right will prevail and this concept never sees the light of day. The competition or what they hope to "revise" has been tarnished enough in recent time. If some sumbitch has their way here it can only harm the integrity of challenge further. Hard to fit all the right words into context but this leaves a sour taste without question.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 pm

The more I think about this the more I think the existing football governing bodies should ban all teams who elect to be involved from their respective leagues and anyone playing for them banned from playing anywhere else in any professional league within Europe. I think some players would elect not to play in the Super League which would be filled with professional mercenaries only.

Trying to find a positive outcome I guess if it happens getting rid of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal would be a great leveller for the Premier League and in year one would mean the Top 6 clubs from the Championship could all be promoted and stand a chance of staying there. Like wise the top six in League One go up to the Championship with this exercise repeated at all levels. It could also create an opportunity to bring footballers salaries more in line with other professional sportsmen and rid us of £500k a week footballers which is ruining the game and is unsustainable.

If this happened it could restore the public’s faith in professional football, make football more affordable, and more likely restore the dreams of smaller clubs progressing through the football pyramid.

We could then wave goodbye to the European Super League teams who could play amongst themselves in a different Country every week whilst we all get back to supporting our home team in the true belief that one day we really can get back to the new Premier League and stay there.

Just a random thought but this doesn’t have to be all bad news.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 pm
The more I think about this the more I think the existing football governing bodies should ban all teams who elect to be involved from their respective leagues and anyone playing for them banned from playing anywhere else in any professional league within Europe. I think some players would elect not to play in the Super League which would be filled with professional mercenaries only.

Trying to find a positive outcome I guess if it happens getting rid of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal would be a great leveller for the Premier League and in year one would mean the Top 6 clubs from the Championship could all be promoted and stand a chance of staying there. Like wise the top six in League One go up to the Championship with this exercise repeated at all levels. It could also create an opportunity to bring footballers salaries more in line with other professional sportsmen and rid us of £500k a week footballers which is ruining the game and is unsustainable.

If this happened it could restore the public’s faith in professional football, make football more affordable, and more likely restore the dreams of smaller clubs progressing through the football pyramid.

We could then wave goodbye to the European Super League teams who could play amongst themselves in a different Country every week whilst we all get back to supporting our home team in the true belief that one day we really can get back to the new Premier League and stay there.

I haven't contributed in this because I wanted to say the above by you Charnwood, but didn't know how to word it. But YES to everything you say above.

There MUST be a positive somewhere in all of this and this is it. The legions of fans of Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Wolves etc etc etc etc, are NOT going to go away and will relish a more affordable way for their clubs to compete for real prizes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 pm

The fans of those clubs won't go away, the clubs may though !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 pm
I really don't think so. Opinion obviously.

I genuinely do not believe that most clubs NEED the top 6 clubs. I reckon they could feasibly all feck off and we proceed with relativity. Players will earn less but doesn't necessarily need to be loads less. BT Sports etc will still be interested in the OLD FARM, Forest v Derby, a WBA v Wolves, etc etc.

If clubs DO disappear, then that'll prove how fkd it had all become anyway.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I genuinely do not believe that most clubs NEED the top 6 clubs. I reckon they could feasibly all feck off and we proceed with relativity. Players will earn less but doesn't necessarily need to be loads less. BT Sports etc will still be interested in the OLD FARM, Forest v Derby, a WBA v Wolves, etc etc.

Marco, Might sound a strange question and miles from any truths or just a daft thing to say BUT, 1. would Celtic or Rangers be asked or would want to be part of this super league, or .2. With 6 of our premier lg gone would some of Scotland's best be asked to join our league. or would they want to,

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 pm

I saw some guy on twitter say that Spurs being part of the Super League is like Bananaman joining the Avengers.

Greedy shower of cnuts.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 pm

I haven't contributed in this because I wanted to say the above by you Charnwood, but didn't know how to word it. But YES to everything you say above.

There MUST be a positive somewhere in all of this and this is it. The legions of fans of Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Wolves etc etc etc etc, are NOT going to go away and will relish a more affordable way for their clubs to compete for real prizes.

I didn’t know how to word it either Marko which is why it’s a bit of a ramble, but at least you and hopefully others will get my gist, f*ck off the lot of em. It would be interesting to know what the managers and players think. So far I’ve only heard Jürgen Klopp comment and he is clearly against, saying “he remains opposed to the idea of a European Super League despite his club agreeing to join it”. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Most of those fans are more interested in watching their team compete on a Saturday afternoon in the Premier League than travel across Europe which for most would be unaffordable on a regular basis. I think you’ll find this could be the catalyst for many fans turning their backs on their club and becoming either armchair fans or even worse supporting another club, eg in Central Manchester local City and United fans defecting to Salford City which could become the club of choice for local Manchester footie fans. South London would still have Crystal Palace & Millwall, East London West Ham & Charlton, West London Fulham, QPR & Brentford. Of course it’s never easy to change allegiance from one football club to another and you never have that same connection, but for someone like myself who has lived in many different parts of England I’ve always followed my nearest local football club ( Except Norwich City, that really was a step too far). I think if this Super League happens and the founding member clubs are black balled from their country’s national football association, there will definitely be some significant changes in footie fans behaviours including the way they support their team and how much they’re prepared to spend following them. All this triggered by fans realising their club has betrayed them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm

As has been said earlier . This super league is all about armchair fans , world wide.

The local ( true ) fans, aren’t even a consideration for these Clubs, or the powers that be who will run this league. It’s just a smaller more elite version of the current Premier League. It’s no different. It’s ALWAYS been about world wide tv rights, and money and armchair fans paying through the nose to watch . Man Utd , Man City, Liverpool, Barca, the Milan’s etc, have world wide “fans”, many have never set foot in that Clubs stadium. Its farcical

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 pm

I figure I’ll get slaughtered for saying this, but I think the Super League could benefit European football as a whole. Most opponents of the idea are just as guilty of protecting revenues. Why should the top teams be stabilizers of revenue for their respective domestic leagues? Most of the ESL founding clubs almost always qualify for the CL anyway except for Spurs & Arsenal. I do think the ESL teams should be prohibited from playing in their domestic leagues, but as some have already stated the benefit would be more competitive domestic leagues. I believe five teams from domestic leagues would also be able to qualify for the ESL, so that could create some super competition with those teams taking on the permanent ESL teams. Of course, the ESL teams won’t want to relinquish their domestic league revenues. Maybe there is a compromise somewhere?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm

I don’t have an issue with the European Super League, I just have an issue with the teams involved also enjoying the rewards of playing in and dominating their domestic leagues too. Given their even richer rewards playing against Europe’s Super Elite it just wouldn’t be a level playing field ( as if it is now 🤔) playing EPL too.

The more I think this through the more exciting I think English Football would be getting rid of our Super Six. The only risk is the creation of a new Super Six of Leicester City, West Ham, Everton, Leeds United and maybe Newcastle United plus another.

Just heard Liverpool Captain interviewed after tonight’s game saying “he doesn’t want it and doesn’t want it to happen”. WTF are these owners doing signing up to something even their own manager and captain doesn’t want. It’s a bloody disgrace.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:18 pm

f*ck me even Sky Sports have issued a statement saying they want to preserve the football pyramid structure “as is”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Marco, Might sound a strange question and miles from any truths or just a daft thing to say BUT, 1. would Celtic or Rangers be asked or would want to be part of this super league, or .2. With 6 of our premier lg gone would some of Scotland's best be asked to join our league. or would they want to,
Celtic & The newly formed and completely brand new “The Sevco FC” would have no chance in the super league. They’d finish consistently bottom half every season.

But they could feasibly be asked to join the remaining....... which I feel would damage Scottish football. Where I DO NOT feel the likes of Ipswich, Wolves or Forest NEED Manure & Citeh etc etc...... Hibs, Jambofuckers, Aberdeen etc DO need those Glasgow cnuts. Unfortunately.

Scrapping the 3 foreigner rule all those years ago followed closely by satellite TV wrecked the Ipswich’s & Hibernians.
That’s my opinion of course. Many will think that’s nonsense but that’s my take........ the minute Graeme Souness walked into the now defunct Rangers FC, it all went tits up. Paying Gazza (with cash they didn’t have) but with a great need to keep Ibrox filled to 55K, they scooped up every prospect from every other club to sit on their bench.

Scottish football, (although boring to most of you English chaps) would become incredibly boring if they left. I’d be buying a season ticket for games v the Shitecastle side only....... ENGLAND, on the other hand wouldn’t have that problem in my opinion. Still plenty of decent fixtures down there without those 6,

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 pm
marko69 wrote:

Celtic & The newly formed and completely brand new “The Sevco FC” would have no chance in the super league. They’d finish consistently bottom half every season.

But they could feasibly be asked to join the remaining....... which I feel would damage Scottish football. Where I DO NOT feel the likes of Ipswich, Wolves or Forest NEED Manure & Citeh etc etc...... Hibs, Jambofuckers, Aberdeen etc DO need those Glasgow cnuts. Unfortunately.

Scrapping the 3 foreigner rule all those years ago followed closely by satellite TV wrecked the Ipswich’s & Hibernians.
That’s my opinion of course. Many will think that’s nonsense but that’s my take........ the minute Graeme Souness walked into the now defunct Rangers FC, it all went tits up. Paying Gazza (with cash they didn’t have) but with a great need to keep Ibrox filled to 55K, they scooped up every prospect from every other club to sit on their bench.

Scottish football, (although boring to most of you English chaps) would become incredibly boring if they left. I’d be buying a season ticket for games v the Shitecastle side only....... ENGLAND, on the other hand wouldn’t have that problem in my opinion. Still plenty of decent fixtures down there without those 6,
Agree; Football would get back to playing on a fair playing surface, well run clubs who keep within a budget would shine again,
to be honest I think this is the big chance to get OUR football back, all these foreign owners running for the hills with there blood money.

Celtic and Rangers are not in the same class as the top European clubs right at this moment, but they would catch up with that bag of gold on offer,
perhaps digging up Glasgow and planting it in say Milan or perhaps on the moon would be a great move for Scotland and even Great Britain :D :D :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am

Makes me laugh a little. Saying Celtic and Rangers might wish to join the Premier yet may leave the UK

Please don't forget certain parties, people in Scotland wish to break away from the United Kingdom so I really cannot see either Celtic nor Rangers playing in an English league, even if the Premier League goes United Kingdom or even Great Britain.

Enough of the political jargon though and back to football.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:15 am

Any room for Forfar (sorry Tangfastic) in this super League ?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am
Makes me laugh a little. Saying Celtic and Rangers might wish to join the Premier yet may leave the UK

Please don't forget certain parties, people in Scotland wish to break away from the United Kingdom so I really cannot see either Celtic nor Rangers playing in an English league, even if the Premier League goes United Kingdom or even Great Britain.

we have Cardiff and Swansea who have played in the premier and even from further afield the Vile and Sandwell, so why not the 2 Glasgow clubs plus others from Scotland, better still get rid of the premier all together and back to us running all our leagues. kick out these foreign owners. Maximum of two foreign players, a cap on wages,
A Great Britain side for World Cups and Euro's. right that's sorted, this thread could get very interesting :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 pm

so who would be the top clubs in order,without the missing 6, and every club on the same level playing fields.
heres mine in ten years time,if Scotish clubs joined i'd include.Aberdeen, Hibs,and Hearts,

Everton
Newcastle
Leeds U
Aston Villa
Leicester City
Wolves
West Ham United
Middlesbrough
Sunderland
Ipswich Town
Nottingham Forest
Derby County
Southampton
Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield United
West Brom
Portsmouth
Bolton
Burnley

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:04 pm

Ash along in a minute...... “What? Nae jags?” :D

I’d HATE IT. I love me some crappy scottish fitbaw, Wolfie on a dreich Misty “CANNAE see fk all” day in Perth at an incredibly shitty St Johnstone v Hibs game. 👍👍👍

Hibs v Sheffield Wednesday? No appeal whatsoever. Having to make up songs about “owl bastards” etc etc? 🤷‍♂️ Too much effort.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:13 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am

we have Cardiff and Swansea who have played in the premier and even from further afield the Vile and Sandwell, so why not the 2 Glasgow clubs plus others from Scotland, better still get rid of the premier all together and back to us running all our leagues. kick out these foreign owners. Maximum of two foreign players, a cap on wages,
A Great Britain side for World Cups and Euro's. right that's sorted, this thread could get very interesting :wink:
Yes, but wales is part of the Kingdom of England, why you don't see the Welsh flag on the Union flag is because the United Kingdom was formed with Wales being part of the England union. If Scotland gets independence then they will not be part of the Union or Kingdom. "While the kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are joined, the Principality of Wales is officially a part of the Kingdom of England" (Taken from Google)

Got to be honest I have never been in favour of Rangers or Celtic just joining the Premiership, mainly because then two clubs will have to make way for them, not only that but two more clubs would also drop out of the league. For me they would need to join bottom rung and earn there places though right now who cares about earning rights to play in leagues, so maybe that argument has gone tits up
Last edited by Steve and Jo on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:27 pm

A side note.. Sky Sports and Amazon were quick in distancing themselves from this so called Super League

If they stay to their word it then basically means this league could well rely on the USA.. Seems not to much thought gone into it

From BBC

On Monday night Sky Sports were the first broadcaster to distance themselves from the European Super League.

Amazon Prime Video have just released a statement saying they have "not been involved in any discussions for the proposed Super League".

They add "we believe part of the drama and beauty of European football comes from the ability of any club to achieve success through their performances on the pitch".

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:30 pm

Two things Steve.

1. Scottish independence ain’t ever going to happen. It really definitely won’t without getting too political on a football forum

And 2. YEARS & YEARS ago when discussions were held over Celtic FC and the liquidated, dissolved and now defunct Rangers FC being added to the English system...... it was agreed it’d be Division 4, (League Two). They were never going to waltz into any of the top two divisions.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:30 pm
Two things Steve.

1. Scottish independence ain’t ever going to happen. It really definitely won’t without getting too political on a football forum

And 2. YEARS & YEARS ago when discussions were held over Celtic FC and the liquidated, dissolved and now defunct Rangers FC being added to the English system...... it was agreed it’d be Division 4, (League Two). They were never going to waltz into any of the top two divisions.
Firstly I hope you are right on the independence Marko

Secondly, right now the pyramid structure of football is being contested and that is big part of the outrage. Maybe the time after all these shenanigans going on are maybe right for the Scotland big two to come into the Premiership, but isn't that something similar to what we are disagreeing with the Big Six going on their own?

Yes only difference is Rangers and Celtic could be relegated but taking that away It is similar, is it not?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 pm

It won’t happen. And if it does, to avoid serious arguments, they’d be placed in the lower realms. Or at least they should be.

And of the two, the newly formed The SevCo FC could possibly survive the current EPL. Celtic FC would be mid to lower championship at the very best.

If there was a petition here in Scotland to STOP them, I’d sign it. A lot of Hibees and Jambos witn a “fk them, let them p*ss off” attitude.
I do not hold that view. Hibs make a lot of cash from those Glasgow knuckle draggers.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 pm
It won’t happen. And if it does, to avoid serious arguments, they’d be placed in the lower realms. Or at least they should be.

And of the two, the newly formed The SevCo FC could possibly survive the current EPL. Celtic FC would be mid to lower championship at the very best.

If there was a petition here in Scotland to STOP them, I’d sign it. A lot of Hibees and Jambos witn a “fk them, let them p*ss off” attitude.
I do not hold that view. Hibs make a lot of cash from those Glasgow knuckle draggers.
Thing is, Marko... this Super League isn’t based on the best teams. It’s who can generate the most revenue. Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are currently 6th, 7th and 9th respectively. Nothing super in that. Celtic and Rangers could probably generate more revenue globally than Leicester or West Ham( 3rd and 4th). And once you’re in.... you get shedloads of cash to build a decent team.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Looks like Chelsea are pulling out.👍👍