Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:02 pm

About time this was out on the open . I’ve felt this was the case ever since the take over was announced.

The squad are a Bunch Tossas the lot of them .



https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... mp-7920388

BlueBalls
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by BlueBalls » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm

The players need to stand up if they want to be part of the club going forward, but I'm far from convinced by Cook as well to be honest. I dont like some of his interviews including this one and I'm not drawn in by a scouse tongue.

Whatever the future holds, he had a job to do this season and he hasn't succeeded. Over the last 12 games part of his job as manager is to motivate/engage the players and get results. He has failed to do that. Yes the squads not great but its also not that bad. Rather than spouting about change he should have focused on motivating the players to want to be part of that themselves.

I've no doubt our fortunes will change with money and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But its a fail so far from me.

All just my opinion.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:04 pm

If a group of people choose to download tools, and this applies in any industry, the manager will fail, this is the case here without question.

I see his interviews different to yourself as I love virtually every one of them, no bullshit just total honesty and he's calling out these gutless pricks

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19570
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm

But 100% on the scouse though. Could NEVER live in Liverpool. It'd do my head in. An hour of John Bishop is just about enough....., then that's it, no more!

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:04 pm
If a group of people choose to download tools, and this applies in any industry, the manager will fail, this is the case here without question.

I see his interviews different to yourself as I love virtually every one of them, no bullshit just total honesty and he's calling out these gutless pricks
Agree. I'm beginning to get tired of people questioning Cook's abilities already! I mean fair enough if that's your opinion, but can you try to reserve judgement until after he's assembled his own team? I've said before, Cook has proven himself at more than one club...in succession I believe. What sort of track record does our current squad have under various managers?

valleyroad
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by valleyroad » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:30 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm
The players need to stand up if they want to be part of the club going forward, but I'm far from convinced by Cook as well to be honest. I dont like some of his interviews including this one and I'm not drawn in by a scouse tongue.

Whatever the future holds, he had a job to do this season and he hasn't succeeded. Over the last 12 games part of his job as manager is to motivate/engage the players and get results. He has failed to do that. Yes the squads not great but its also not that bad. Rather than spouting about change he should have focused on motivating the players to want to be part of that themselves.

I've no doubt our fortunes will change with money and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But its a fail so far from me.

All just my opinion.
I agree with you. I think though he should be given the time to bring in his own squad and give it time to bed in before starting to judge. So far though i don't think has done the job at all. Very easy to blame players etc but i'm not convinced. He has a good track record so deserves respect on that basis.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm

I agree the players needed a rocket, but I struggle with the way he has done it tbh.

To tell the players he is going to be demo man or whatever and clean the squad out is a sure fire way to lose the players, it’s poor leadership IMO.

You need to offer hope of a future with the club rather than just infer you are all gone.

It’s not how I manage staff in my business.

Can’t fault his track record, but he has done nothing for me so far.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 pm

:x The trouble is we have too many fans wanting a quick fix, which this season aint going to happen as the results show. Take Portsmouth as an instance, they bring in the Cowley's as their new manager they win against us and then get another win, whoopee the fans think we're on a roll , then the new manger syndrome drops off, and they go 5 games losing (snap) their in the same streak as us, Sunderland were winning games then the wheels come off and their on a 4 game losing pattern, Lincoln went I believe 7 games losing, this league is a tough as sh*t to get out of, the only team with a fair run of wins has been Peterborough.

So The players have given up and not interested, shows the mentality of them, it didn't enter their heads to start to put more effort in on games as a show piece ready for when they get booted out, then they will moan when no clubs come in for them because other scouts have seen a pile of useless poor quality so called footballers. So fellers best of luck with trying to find a new club after your pathetic displays.

As for our new manager Paul will bring in the players he wants with a squad no larger than 17 max, and those new players will know the rules work hard as a winning unit don't expect other players to cover any poor performances, all Paul wants is a happy squad and a trusting squad, a squad of we wont let you or the fans down, if we happen to lose a game it wont be for the want of not trying and playing as a team effort.

So all I can say is come on Paul start building a winning team for us and the new owners in the 21/22 season. COYB :)

User avatar
bluejacko
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 3:48 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by bluejacko » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 pm

If the players after their first rollicking from Cook hadn’t got the gumption to roll up their sleeves and show Cook he was wrong then that speaks volumes about their attitude! It doesn’t bode well for them either anyone watching them with a view to offering them a job will think again.

hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:05 pm

Frosty wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm
I agree the players needed a rocket, but I struggle with the way he has done it tbh.

To tell the players he is going to be demo man or whatever and clean the squad out is a sure fire way to lose the players, it’s poor leadership IMO.

You need to offer hope of a future with the club rather than just infer you are all gone.

It’s not how I manage staff in my business.

Can’t fault his track record, but he has done nothing for me so far.
He only spoke in terms of being Demo Man after the players had thrown the towel in st Wimbledon when defeat all but guaranteed we’d not make the play offs.

I think Cook has been very fair to the players. He’s tried countless Lind ups and formations , as he said , “ to try snd suit the players @, but they just can’t do it can they .... so he’d said they’d ig , we’ll play it this way now .

I think he’s truly tried everything, but they’re not interested.

Well sod the lot of them

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:16 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 pm
:x The trouble is we have too many fans wanting a quick fix, which this season aint going to happen as the results show. Take Portsmouth as an instance, they bring in the Cowley's as their new manager they win against us and then get another win, whoopee the fans think we're on a roll , then the new manger syndrome drops off, and they go 5 games losing (snap) their in the same streak as us, Sunderland were winning games then the wheels come off and their on a 4 game losing pattern, Lincoln went I believe 7 games losing, this league is a tough as sh*t to get out of, the only team with a fair run of wins has been Peterborough.

So The players have given up and not interested, shows the mentality of them, it didn't enter their heads to start to put more effort in on games as a show piece ready for when they get booted out, then they will moan when no clubs come in for them because other scouts have seen a pile of useless poor quality so called footballers. So fellers best of luck with trying to find a new club after your pathetic displays.

As for our new manager Paul will bring in the players he wants with a squad no larger than 17 max, and those new players will know the rules work hard as a winning unit don't expect other players to cover any poor performances, all Paul wants is a happy squad and a trusting squad, a squad of we wont let you or the fans down, if we happen to lose a game it wont be for the want of not trying and playing as a team effort.

So all I can say is come on Paul start building a winning team for us and the new owners in the 21/22 season. COYB :)
Totally agree Ash, our fans always want a quick fix, they all seem to know what Cook has said behind closed doors too because none of them have actually stood back and considered the notion he may well have had some one to ones with players he intends to keep, but of course they know more about Cook and his methods than Cook himself.

tangfastic
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by tangfastic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 am

On one hand, Cook could well have been more diplomatic and quietly patted the players on the back, whilst planning their exit. It could well be a more professional approach and made the atmosphere around the squad less volatile.

On the other hand, he’s pretty much been very straightforward with them and lit a stick of dynamite underneath the squad. At least they know where they stand. It hasn’t worked short-term, but he’ll have another crack next season, whilst they’ll be gone. They had their chance.

It’s not his fault the squad has been allowed to grow so big with so many players out of contract at the same time. If they’d played better, many would have got new contracts. That’s their fault and the previous owner/manager. This is a long-term mess that Cook has come into. A different kind of manager (Mick, Warnock) would probably have got better results short-term, but also papered over the cracks. I would have hated if a few players had put together a few decent performances to win new contracts only to then ease back into comfort mode next season. That won’t happen and I can’t say I’m bothered to see them go.
Cook doesn’t fancy these players and he’s at least been honest with them.

BlueBalls
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by BlueBalls » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:25 am

Frosty wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm

It’s not how I manage staff in my business.
Exactly that. It may have worked at some point in history, but is not the way to do things nowadays as people don't respond well to it whatever the industry, however much they get paid etc

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 am

Maybe he thought lighting a fire under their arses would be the best way to get a positive reaction. Problem is that only works with the right kind of person and as these are a bunch of lazy, disinterested players who just don't care, all it will do is make the rebel... which they seemingly have.

I can see both sides of the argument, there was a chance of playoffs, Cook has failed at mounting a challenge for that, perhaps he would try a different tack next time, but he has got it wrong. Perhaps it was an impossible job and maybe he stuck with the players long enough.

My only worry is that he's thrown them under the bus to deflect blame from himself, rather than for the right reason of telling the truth and sorting the sh*t out. Players will see it that way and that's dangerous, not all of them will be gone in the summer and you don't want to lose the good ones because you've burnt bridges.

But at the end of the day, he has a decent record, I generally like his strong, honest approach, even if it hasn't been the best line to take at times. It's not his squad and while he's failed this term, in my eyes and most others, judgement will be reserved for the next.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:40 am

I think he has and continues to blame himself Ricco, look at his last interview, he is pretty clear that he's failed thus far.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:50 am

Ya point, perhaps apportioning some of the blame is a better way of putting it, it would be weird if he didn't accept some blame himself.

There are other ways to do it though is the point, some managers shoulder the full blame and that generally makes for a better relationship with the players, if they're not complete arseholes then they'll respond positively and try harder.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19570
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am

Problem here is........ re responding...... an individual responding is one thing....... but trying to get them to all collectively respond?? Nae danger.
Especially if some are arseholes, like you say, Ricco.

They need away. And they’ll no doubt be ok at other clubs. 100% believe that.

Close the chapter, start again.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm

I have absolutely no problem with him letting the players know exactly what he thinks of them - that's called honesty - and I'm sure that all the players in the squad already know if they will be part of things next season or not.

My problem with him is his continuing to play players who know they have no future here - of course they are not going to be bothered but he ought to have known that.

He himself says that so far he has failed - and indeed he has - let's just hope that with a smaller squad next season of players of his choosing those of us doubting him at the moment will have to eat our words.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm

I suppose the crux of it for me is that I don't want Cook to have a good relationship with any of these no marks because I really don't want them here next season so to that end I love the way he has handled it, it's the truth and if people don't like it then tough, god knows they have taken the p*ss out of us fans for long enough, I am just disappointed with myself for not recognising it much sooner. he came out in the press this week and praised KVY, Nydam & Dozzell to the hilt, that tells me those that are staying know it already, the rest can go f*ck themselves.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:30 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm
I have absolutely no problem with him letting the players know exactly what he thinks of them - that's called honesty - and I'm sure that all the players in the squad already know if they will be part of things next season or not.

My problem with him is his continuing to play players who know they have no future here - of course they are not going to be bothered but he ought to have known that.

He himself says that so far he has failed - and indeed he has - let's just hope that with a smaller squad next season of players of his choosing those of us doubting him at the moment will have to eat our words.
Yep fair comment, I do wonder who else he has to use though Gary, for instance if none of the strikers except Norwwod are staying then who the hell else can he play ?

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:30 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm
I have absolutely no problem with him letting the players know exactly what he thinks of them - that's called honesty - and I'm sure that all the players in the squad already know if they will be part of things next season or not.

My problem with him is his continuing to play players who know they have no future here - of course they are not going to be bothered but he ought to have known that.

He himself says that so far he has failed - and indeed he has - let's just hope that with a smaller squad next season of players of his choosing those of us doubting him at the moment will have to eat our words.
Yep fair comment, I do wonder who else he has to use though Gary, for instance if none of the strikers except Norwwod are staying then who the hell else can he play ?
well as far as strikers go, Mike, I'm sure there must be at least one in the U23s or even the U18s who would cut off his bollocks to be given a chance. And to my mind that would be better than playing the utter dross and crap that is Sears, Jackson, Drinan. I also think that Hawkins hasnt been given a fair crack of the whip - he's never going to be a prolific goal scorer but could well be a good squad member.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:50 pm

I would love to have seen Simpson given another run out but Cook said in the week it wasn't right to draft these kids into this situation and I kinda agree with god knows what going on in that dressing room, it's a complete toxic mess for sure. Hawkins is a funny one for me cus as you say he's not been given a lot of chance, due mainly to his injuries yet again but I just never see him scoring and when he has played others haven't really shone beside him either, he may survive but I won't lose sleep if he goes too.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Pleased to see Hawkins given another chance
Last edited by rossi on Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:06 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:03 pm
well having seen the line-up for today, I think it safe to say that Chambers, Skuse, Holy, Sears, Jackson, and Drinan are among those who have been told they have no future here (as players, anyway).

Pleased to see Hawkins given another chance

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:11 pm

There ya go, you got your wish lol.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Gloves are finally off between Cook and the players

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Hawkins has won more balls in the air in the forst 3 minutes than Jackson does all game

Post Reply