Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23699
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm

I wouldn’t want Norwood if he was fit.

hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:31 am
Personally I don't think it makes much sense to speculate in this way. PC has a system in mind and he need certain characteristics for the players who are to take up these roles. Perhaps this is where our analysis should be? I can't say for example whether Jackson will fit in his new system or whether Bishop might be one of his 'flair players' in MF or he needs a workhorse there.

All I will say is that at least in defence we have had some decent performances out of Nsiala, Wilson, KVY & Kenlock so surely they will get a stay of execution if PC thinks their heads are in the right place.

I think there will be players who have underperformed but that PC might feel that he can work with and coach through. Nolan would maybe fit in that bracket.
Agree with that, DB.
Im going with the logic that Cook is sh*t/not so good in assembling a decent team out of a random bunch of players, but is (hopefully) very good at assembling a group of players who fit into his system. Hence, if a player doesn’t fit his system - why keep him? No point in keeping players who can’t adjust to a certain system, however good they might be. I’m fed up seeing players playing out of position.
If the squad you inherit is full of injury prone d*ck heads, that cant be arsed to put in any effort and under the previous two managers failed to show, I’m not sure there’s much Paul Cook could do with them tbh tang. I think we’ve been conned well and truly as to the merits of this squad. No manager has been able to get any consistent and long term performance levels out them have they.

They are IMO, weak minded, losers , having no leaders amongst them, and have had it bloody easy at this club on high wages for the last three years.

As has been said, cheerio 👋 to the lot of them. They won’t be finding it easy to get another Club I think .

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:31 am
Personally I don't think it makes much sense to speculate in this way. PC has a system in mind and he need certain characteristics for the players who are to take up these roles. Perhaps this is where our analysis should be? I can't say for example whether Jackson will fit in his new system or whether Bishop might be one of his 'flair players' in MF or he needs a workhorse there.

All I will say is that at least in defence we have had some decent performances out of Nsiala, Wilson, KVY & Kenlock so surely they will get a stay of execution if PC thinks their heads are in the right place.

I think there will be players who have underperformed but that PC might feel that he can work with and coach through. Nolan would maybe fit in that bracket.
Agree with that, DB.
Im going with the logic that Cook is sh*t/not so good in assembling a decent team out of a random bunch of players, but is (hopefully) very good at assembling a group of players who fit into his system. Hence, if a player doesn’t fit his system - why keep him? No point in keeping players who can’t adjust to a certain system, however good they might be. I’m fed up seeing players playing out of position.
If the squad you inherit is full of injury prone d*ck heads, that cant be arsed to put in any effort and under the previous two managers failed to show, I’m not sure there’s much Paul Cook could do with them tbh tang. I think we’ve been conned well and truly as to the merits of this squad. No manager has been able to get any consistent and long term performance levels out them have they.

They are IMO, weak minded, losers , having no leaders amongst them, and have had it bloody easy at this club on high wages for the last three years.

As has been said, cheerio 👋 to the lot of them. They won’t be finding it easy to get another Club I think .
Oh come on Tang, playing players out of position isn't the problem. Bloody hell, when I was still playing football I could play in any position...even goalie! As long as you can do the basics, you should at least be able to pass and tackle and defend and shoot! Most of the players can't even dribble the ball more than 10ft without tripping or giving the ball away. When I watch games, I'm astonished at how poor these so called professionals are. They can't even make a pass...they run around doing f*ck all...they're light-weight and out muscled! Even at this level, is it Cook's job to teach them fundamental skills? It's not the system, it's the players.

hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:12 pm

AMEN to that 👍

JOHN DEERE
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t want Norwood if he was fit.
I never took to him. The sooner he's gone the better.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13629
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:00 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t want Norwood if he was fit.
I never took to him. The sooner he's gone the better.
..... along with quite a few others 🙏

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9250
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by saint jude » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Norwood like Sears was, or is, made to look good or better than they are by the caliber of players around them in attacking positions. Could score every now and then or contribute but nowhere near good enough above third league level. Not since Stewart have we had a reliable forward who can get goals regular although Bent does come close. Counago, Kuqi also but didn't quite make it.

Don't know how far ahead in the future were looking at but one day in order to compete once again we'll require at least two reliable names to spearhead attack, I'm not talking Eusebio or Gerd Muller types just a pair of players that can provide hope and expectancy to propel the team consistently in the right direction. Right now and for a while in fact we don't possess that and seem a far way from it.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19571
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:17 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:02 pm
Norwood like Sears was, or is, made to look good or better than they are by the caliber of players around them in attacking positions. Could score every now and then or contribute but nowhere near good enough above third league level. Not since Stewart have we had a reliable forward who can get goals regular although Bent does come close. Counago, Kuqi also but didn't quite make it.

Don't know how far ahead in the future were looking at but one day in order to compete once again we'll require at least two reliable names to spearhead attack, I'm not talking Eusebio or Gerd Muller types just a pair of players that can provide hope and expectancy to propel the team consistently in the right direction. Right now and for a while in fact we don't possess that and seem a far way from it.
I know there are a few who really can't be bothered with James Gregg Norwood anymore, and from catching a total of 5 games, I do understand that.

But I'm definitely confused. And the only explanation is League Two being an immensely large step down from League One. I mean seriously, YouTube cannot lie, can it. He was rattling in goals left , right & centre and I do remember everyone being quite excited at the prospects. But whether it's injury or Paul f**king CL MEDAL Lamberto; something changed.
That one finish vs Hull means he CAN do it. (Some will say , "yeah, but once?!!") ....... I understand that, totally. But there is a decent striker there and I just wouldn't offload him just yet. Will no doubt get grief for that and I KNOW he's had chances........ But I'd hang fire with James "3 steak bakes & a fudge donut with a large cappuccino, no sugar, chocolate on top please" Norwood.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:17 pm
saint jude wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:02 pm
Norwood like Sears was, or is, made to look good or better than they are by the caliber of players around them in attacking positions. Could score every now and then or contribute but nowhere near good enough above third league level. Not since Stewart have we had a reliable forward who can get goals regular although Bent does come close. Counago, Kuqi also but didn't quite make it.

Don't know how far ahead in the future were looking at but one day in order to compete once again we'll require at least two reliable names to spearhead attack, I'm not talking Eusebio or Gerd Muller types just a pair of players that can provide hope and expectancy to propel the team consistently in the right direction. Right now and for a while in fact we don't possess that and seem a far way from it.
I know there are a few who really can't be bothered with James Gregg Norwood anymore, and from catching a total of 5 games, I do understand that.

But I'm definitely confused. And the only explanation is League Two being an immensely large step down from League One. I mean seriously, YouTube cannot lie, can it. He was rattling in goals left , right & centre and I do remember everyone being quite excited at the prospects. But whether it's injury or Paul f**king CL MEDAL Lamberto; something changed.
That one finish vs Hull means he CAN do it. (Some will say , "yeah, but once?!!") ....... I understand that, totally. But there is a decent striker there and I just wouldn't offload him just yet. Will no doubt get grief for that and I KNOW he's had chances........ But I'd hang fire with James "3 steak bakes & a fudge donut with a large cappuccino, no sugar, chocolate on top please" Norwood.
I agree with you Marko, and (injuries apart) i think supply is possibly the issue with Nors. I think there are far less capable strikers than him, who are scoring more regularly because the supply line (not the steak bake one either :wink: ) is stronger. The problem is more in the lack of attacking threat from midfield. Of course his injury stats do give me cause for concern and it is only for this reason that i would get rid.
Every team needs probably 4 strikers in their squad and i would rather have Norwood taking one of those slots than any of our current strikers.

tangfastic
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by tangfastic » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Well young Tyreece Simpson proved he knows where the goal is this afternoon for the u23’s. Scored the second and showed incredible strength and a cool head with his finish. Worth a punt in the first team?

[youtube] https://youtu.be/TJ0CnDppUjM[/youtube]

hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm

I think Norwood is now at that age where injuries are likely to be more frequent , and definitely will take longer to recover from. I think there’s something going on with his muscle balance , because he’s had a groin injury x 2, and two lots of surgery in that area, and hamstring injuries x3 . He’ll have scar tissue in all of those areas, which reduces muscle function. We are talking about an athlete that is now 30yrs old and needing to perform in short bursts of speed, and changes of direction, as well as kicking ( usually at full velocity) .....he’s only 5 yrs younger than Chambers, (and everyone thinks his time is up).

Sports science suggests after a midfielder, a striker is more likely to get injured than a defender due to his movement patterns
( changes of direction and kicking the ball at velocity and repeated changes of speed over short periods of distance, often with accompanying changes of direction. Whereas defenders tend to header, and kick in a straight line ( not ours :lol: ), and mostly face the way they are going, unlike strikers.

So all in all, I’d say Norwood would be a high risk of persistent injuries and increased frequency of injuries. He’s not actually been injury free since he signed for us. I don’t think that’s likely to change sadly, and therefore I’m Not sure I’d rely on him to be our primary striker for next season.

hallamblue
Posts: 26228
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Well young Tyreece Simpson proved he knows where the goal is this afternoon for the u23’s. Scored the second and showed incredible strength and a cool head with his finish. Worth a punt in the first team?

[youtube] https://youtu.be/TJ0CnDppUjM[/youtube]
Thanks for that tang. Woah , he’s got some serious upper body strength hasn’t he! So nice to see some meaningful attacking play and an ability to pass the ball. I know it’s a different age group etc, but Blimey just how bad does that make the senior side look lol

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Well young Tyreece Simpson proved he knows where the goal is this afternoon for the u23’s. Scored the second and showed incredible strength and a cool head with his finish. Worth a punt in the first team?

[youtube] https://youtu.be/TJ0CnDppUjM[/youtube]
Thanks for that tang. Woah , he’s got some serious upper body strength hasn’t he! So nice to see some meaningful attacking play and an ability to pass the ball. I know it’s a different age group etc, but Blimey just how bad does that make the senior side look lol
Who was that who made the pass to Simpson for his goal? Yes Simpson looks like a proper striker with strength...get him in the first team!!

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19571
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm
I think Norwood is now at that age where injuries are likely to be more frequent , and definitely will take longer to recover from. I think there’s something going on with his muscle balance , because he’s had a groin injury x 2, and two lots of surgery in that area, and hamstring injuries x3 . He’ll have scar tissue in all of those areas, which reduces muscle function. We are talking about an athlete that is now 30yrs old and needing to perform in short bursts of speed, and changes of direction, as well as kicking ( usually at full velocity) .....he’s only 5 yrs younger than Chambers, (and everyone thinks his time is up).

Sports science suggests after a midfielder, a striker is more likely to get injured than a defender due to his movement patterns
( changes of direction and kicking the ball at velocity and repeated changes of speed over short periods of distance, often with accompanying changes of direction. Whereas defenders tend to header, and kick in a straight line ( not ours :lol: ), and mostly face the way they are going, unlike strikers.

So all in all, I’d say Norwood would be a high risk of persistent injuries and increased frequency of injuries. He’s not actually been injury free since he signed for us. I don’t think that’s likely to change sadly, and therefore I’m Not sure I’d rely on him to be our primary striker for next season.
Thanks for this, Hallam.

Never really read too much into what Norries injuries actually have been but that’s a decent summary.

I don’t know then, 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully the medical team give plenty advice over the summer. Personally believe that if he’s offloaded, he’ll be ok elsewhere for a few years yet.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19571
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:50 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Yes Simpson looks like a proper striker with strength...get him in the first team!!
Apologies in advance ..... and covering nut-bag in defence of response......... but no different to Steak Bake for Tranmere.

But great to see. Hopefully he comes through the ranks and Cookie gives him a chance.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 pm

I'd like to hear what Andym has to say about who we should keep. He always gives good analysis.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4629
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Which senior players do you think Paul Cook will keep?

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am

Seems to me that Norwood has always recovered quickly from his knocks this year, (maybe a little too quickly he has been pressed back into action). Maybe he's been carrying something throughout the season that may heal properly during the Summer. Let's hope so. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Post Reply