English Teams Doing Well!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 pm

Real Madrid 1 v Chelsea 1
PSG 1 v Man City 2
Man Utd 6 v 2 Roma
Villarreal 2 v Arsenal 1

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19669
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 pm

Hard to believe Man City are that good. Going to PSG and winning? :shock: Wow.

They were a league one side a few years ago. (Or Division 3) There is hope. 🙏

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:26 pm

Amazing, perhaps English clubs should make a super league with just them in it? Maybe call it the Premier league or summat??

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 pm

I’m not letting politics ruin my love of football. I’ve survived Covid & I’ve survived being a fan of ITFC. I still love football.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9287
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by saint jude » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:15 am

Too easy to say the money available to those club sides there and owners input by way of financial assistance but you go back 40 - 45 years and the UK dominated the European scene just by assembling fine teams and managers at a cut of the cost. For years people insisted the Italian league was the biggest and best, perhaps in terms of vociferous and passionate fans they may be right, but England still is prevalent in providing names for showcase events on the continent when Finals are contested.

Too commercial now for some tastes, the razzmatazz and bullshit saturation glamor has tarnished the integrity of competition but allow credit to those involved they continue to do well and put on a show.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Ricco » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 pm
I’m not letting politics ruin my love of football. I’ve survived Covid & I’ve survived being a fan of ITFC. I still love football.
I wasn't being entirely sarky, the amazing was genuine! :lol: I do always enjoy seeinf British teams doing well in Europe.

Lots of people were laughing at Spurs and Arsenal being in the super league and how they'd be propping up any table every year, but Serie A has seemed like a joke to me for years. I watched AC Milan in the San Siro a couple of years ago and it was dire stuff, I was just waiting for Mick McCarthy to emerge from their dugout and to spot Marcus Evans in their directors box.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 am
number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 pm
I’m not letting politics ruin my love of football. I’ve survived Covid & I’ve survived being a fan of ITFC. I still love football.
I wasn't being entirely sarky, the amazing was genuine! :lol: I do always enjoy seeinf British teams doing well in Europe.

Lots of people were laughing at Spurs and Arsenal being in the super league and how they'd be propping up any table every year, but Serie A has seemed like a joke to me for years. I watched AC Milan in the San Siro a couple of years ago and it was dire stuff, I was just waiting for Mick McCarthy to emerge from their dugout and to spot Marcus Evans in their directors box.
Yeah I was snickering about Spurs/Arsenal amongst the elite. I remember when the Italians dominated Europe. Things have certainly changed. I’ll be happy as long as PSG don’t win. I love seeing that over-rated Neymar cry. :lol:

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13699
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Three out of four wasn’t bad;

Champions League: Chelsea v Man City

Europa League: Manchester United v Villarreal.

I can’t imagine either will be particularly exciting, just hope neither are as boring as Tottenham v Liverpool in 2019.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:02 pm

I hope Chelsea win. It’s amazing how Tuchel has turned them around. No disrespect to Lampard, but Tuchel has shown how it’s done. Come on Chelsea beat ManShitty!!

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9287
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by saint jude » Sat May 22, 2021 3:17 pm

You don't win the competition anymore, you just simply buy it. Thought for a moment why not just scrap any field game and put both teams on a greasy pole over some water throwing bundles of cash at each other, last player remaining gets to win the trophy for their respective team. Haven't viewed a European Cup Final in it's entirety for near 20 years and even then it were in attendance as a live witness. Number of factors since then the value and interest has just wavered.

f*ck all the oil rich sheiks and their plastic manufactured club set-ups, in recent time without it you'd be next to nothing in terms of stature and accomplishment. (Only a few years recent Chelsea / Manchester City would be a Zenith Data Systems Cup Event)

There's a Final underway in Scotland right now that while not as glamorous as what you got here it's just two teams where winning means just as much and a reward worth fighting for. No absurd spending or investment out of control just two teams with a will to win and hoping to provide something for the fans in an established competition that remains prestigious. Only problem being events like these just go by the wayside or overlooked. To the people involved, it still remains something.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:44 pm

While the amount of money invested in top European and British clubs has increased exponentially, the raw competitiveness of a cup final still exists...in my opinion. Admittedly I'd prefer to see an English team playing a foreign team in the final, but it's still a display of some of the top talent in the world. I'm not really an advocate of 'TV money has ruined the game' etc, etc. I think that stance is reserved more for the older folks, not that I'm especially young. It is what it is.

And, (sorry Marko)...I'd prefer to watch Chelsea v Man City over St Johnstone v Hibernian in a cup final. :shock: :lol:

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm

ManU need to get rid of de Gea! He’s a loser!

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7331
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm
ManU need to get rid of de Gea! He’s a loser!
Great penalty by the Villarreal keeper.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm
ManU need to get rid of de Gea! He’s a loser!
Great penalty by the Villarreal keeper.
Yes it was. It just pisses me off cuz ManU dominated that tournament. Once again an English team fails. At least we know an English team will win the Champions League although I hope it’s Chelsea.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9287
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by saint jude » Thu May 27, 2021 12:53 am

It's not the "Champions" League, wish they'd get rid of the title : it's a misnomer for a vast number of those that participate.

For those in the dark Manchester United failed tonight to win their game and lost a shoot-out to Spain's Villareal. Took some time to settle the contest and while people argue a penalty shoot is an unfair way to decide a tournament how else are they going to decide a winner.

Today was the "Europa League" Final Event. When we won back in '81 it were the UEFA Cup and since then has lost considerable prestige and value. Kind of miss back in the day when Euro competition was as it should be. All right they made some changes and amendments but don't tell me it were always for the better.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23930
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 27, 2021 5:51 am

Agree, European Football back when we won it was proper Football, this tripe doesn't even entice me to turn the TV over, I haven't watched a so called Champions league game in years, Champions? As you say SJ, its a farce of a competition.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13699
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm
ManU need to get rid of de Gea! He’s a loser!
Not sure why he wasn’t substituted towards the end of extra time given his shocking penalty saving record, especially given Man U Henderson on the bench with a considerably better penalty save record. Yet another tactical c*ck up by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13699
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 28, 2021 10:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:47 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm
ManU need to get rid of de Gea! He’s a loser!
Great penalty by the Villarreal keeper.
Yes it was. It just pisses me off cuz ManU dominated that tournament. Once again an English team fails. At least we know an English team will win the Champions League although I hope it’s Chelsea.
Man U failed miserably on the night and we’re shockingly poor with only two shots on target over 120+ minutes. For me the game only came alive when the penalty shoot out began.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13699
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm

What a fabulous credit to the Premier League and the English game, football played at its absolutely best. Well done Chelsea, well done Thomas Tuchel, what a huge performance at every level. 👍👌👏

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7331
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm
What a fabulous credit to the Premier League and the English game, football played at its absolutely best. Well done Chelsea, well done Thomas Tuchel, what a huge performance at every level. 👍👌👏
Every Chelsea player gave everything they had. As for Kante what a player he is perhaps we could tempt him to come to Portman Road. :lol:

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13699
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 29, 2021 11:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm
What a fabulous credit to the Premier League and the English game, football played at its absolutely best. Well done Chelsea, well done Thomas Tuchel, what a huge performance at every level. 👍👌👏
Every Chelsea player gave everything they had. As for Kante what a player he is perhaps we could tempt him to come to Portman Road. :lol:
Shed - He was brilliant for Leicester City before he went to Chelsea and they bought him from Caen for only £5.6m and sold him 12 months later for £32m. That’s what you call serious scouting. How much would he be worth today I wonder ? Must be £50m or more.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by number 9 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:39 am

Chelsea! Chelsea! Chelsea!

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7331
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: English Teams Doing Well!

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 30, 2021 6:49 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:20 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm
What a fabulous credit to the Premier League and the English game, football played at its absolutely best. Well done Chelsea, well done Thomas Tuchel, what a huge performance at every level. 👍👌👏
Every Chelsea player gave everything they had. As for Kante what a player he is perhaps we could tempt him to come to Portman Road. :lol:
Shed - He was brilliant for Leicester City before he went to Chelsea and they bought him from Caen for only £5.6m and sold him 12 months later for £32m. That’s what you call serious scouting. How much would he be worth today I wonder ? Must be £50m or more.
Charny
I remember how much influence he had in the Leicester title winning side. He is one of those players that doesn’t always get the headlines that some of his teammates do but is so important to the side.
His energy level is incredible and as you say in the current market he must be worth over £50m.

Post Reply