Another one bites the dust

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Another one bites the dust

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 07, 2021 10:46 am

First-team coach Matt Gill has left Ipswich Town.

The former Norwich and Peterborough midfielder joined the Club in November 2018 as part of Paul Lambert’s coaching team.

Matt, who took charge of the first-team for the win over Accrington at the start of March, follows goalkeeping coach, Jimmy Walker, out of Portman Road as manager Paul Cook looks to establish a new backroom team for next season.

“I had a chat with Matt yesterday and he knows how the game works,” Town boss Paul Cook told the Club website.

“He’s been great in my time here but I want to bring in a few new faces ahead of the new season and he understands that.

“We wish him all the best for the future and thank him for the service he has given Ipswich Town over the last two and a half years.”

Tangfastic

Re: Another one bites the dust

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am

Cook avoiding the question whether Chambers and Skuse will remain here. Reading between the lines .... looks like the decision has been made and they’ll be leaving.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... se-7954796

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 am

It says to me they are definitely off

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri May 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 am
It says to me they are definitely off
I think you are right but it's a bit sad over 700 appearances between them over the poor seasons that Town have had but not all down to them , it's a pity Chambers didn't reach 400 games for the club he obviously loves but we move on and it's the right decision to let them go.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Can a testimonial not be organised for Luke Chambers?
Maybe a wee Old Farm clash?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 07, 2021 3:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Do they still do testimonials? They used to do them for players so they could get that bit extra cash when wages were low. I think many players really needed that money after retirement. I think Chambers has become a multi-millionaire here. 9 years on good money and extra revenue from his annexe - he should be sorted. Wouldn’t begrudge him a good send off, mind.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Keeping them doesn't really bode well for a fresh, new start...especially at their ages.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 07, 2021 4:56 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:26 pm
marko69 wrote:
Do they still do testimonials? They used to do them for players so they could get that bit extra cash when wages were low. I think many players really needed that money after retirement. I think Chambers has become a multi-millionaire here. 9 years on good money and extra revenue from his annexe - he should be sorted. Wouldn’t begrudge him a good send off, mind.
Players rarely get to 10 years of serve for a club nowadays do they tang.

I think Chambo deserves a testimonial tbh he’s done a lot behind the scenes for the kids at this club. His playing days at this level are over for sure.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:56 pm
tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I think Chambo deserves a testimonial tbh he’s done a lot behind the scenes for the kids at this club. His playing days at this level are over for sure.
I think Chambers deserves f*ck all he has been stealing a living for far too long he has also has to much influence in the background. He is a major contributer to where the club is. f*ck off Chambers and take Skuse and Sears with you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm

What a ridiculous comment, the sort of thing I would expect from a Scummer, not a Town fan.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 pm

BM just because you don't agree why does that have to make someone a SCUM fan? Consider this most of what you say is ridiculous but does that make you a SCUM fan? You really must try and be more open minded to the fact that not everything is about your opinion. Poor Valley Road gets your childish accusation as well. Please try.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 pm

I didn't say you were a scum fan, I said that is the sort of comment I would expect from a scum fan, completely different. Don't get me wrong I cannot wait to see the back of Sears and to a lesser degree Chambers & Skuse too but to say he deserves nothing and to f*ck off is taking it a bit far given the service and loyalty he has given to Town don't you think ?

As for my opinion be liked or otherwise, I really couldn't care less what people think, it's my opinion, right or wrong. If people choose to come on here and have nothing but negative things to say which is the case with you then you need to expect a retort, I would just love to see at least One positive post from your good self once in a while, I may have missed it but I think not. Please try.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat May 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Ok here is positive. If I were a Scummer would I not want the likes or Sears, Skuse and Chambers to stay to drag Town down further? Positive enough for you?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat May 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 pm
hallamblue wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

I think Chambers deserves f*ck all he has been stealing a living for far too long he has also has to much influence in the background. He is a major contributer to where the club is. f*ck off Chambers and take Skuse and Sears with you.

In my opinion there's been players dragging us down far more, deeper and quicker than Chambers or Skuse. I do feel it's time to move on though

I also agree with Mike in as much the tone of your wording Tinytown was really aggressive and strong

Roll on Monday and the new beginning lets hope begins

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat May 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 pm
hallamblue wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

To say Chambers our club captain is stealing a living when he has been at Town 9 years made almost 400 appearances and loves our club is as Mike said a ridiculous comment it's something a true fan of Ipswich would not be saying, his transfer fee was zero, what about players like Chopra and others cost millions and gave us nothing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 8:45 pm

I wouldn’t bother Kerry Blue, there’s every chance tiny town is a budgie troll. Don’t waste your time with him.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun May 09, 2021 9:01 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:45 pm
I wouldn’t bother Kerry Blue, there’s every chance tiny town is a budgie troll. Don’t waste your time with him.
I've thought that more than once when reading Tinytown posts.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 am

Doesn't tally, why would a Norwich enthusiast take the time / harass / or participate on a Town fan forum when your own team has just won a higher League with something to spare, played some (grudgingly) stellar "football" and as it now, streets ahead of us in terms of can-do and putting together a squad that painful as it is, something to behold.

Point being I'd be too busy getting involved and speaking up on own club endeavors without taking a trip to your main rivals message board and attempting to pass oneself off as something you're not. All right the Chambers thing was unfortunate, you can't castigate a player like that for the years and service he's given. Just word things a little more carefully next time, no need for a witch hunt here.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am

Surely this image will bring a tear to the eye of the hardest of hearts.

Remember Derrick, like Tiny, was the harshest critic of Chambers... I’m sure this would even bring a lump to his throat.

Caption:
Skuse: “ OK, Luke, you can let go now. I preferred the bloody fist pumps to you slobbering over me”.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 10:15 am

That picture really does say it all, an average player he might be but a true blue giving 100% every day he most certainly has been. Its a shame he will forever be remembered as the captain of one of Towns worst ever teams, he deserved better and probably deserved better players around him. Good luck Luke for the next chapter and thank you for your unrivalled commitment to the ITFC cause.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm

Official.....
Town have confirmed that skipper Luke Chambers and midfielder Cole Skuse are leaving the club this summer.

Chambers, 35, joined the Blues on a free transfer from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2012 during Paul Jewell’s time as boss.

The centre-half or right-back went on to make 395 starts and one sub appearance for the Blues, netting 19 times, all but a handful while wearing the captain’s armband.

Leicester 'making it difficult for ourselves' - Rodgers

Skuse, also 35, joined Town from Bristol City the following summer, also on a free transfer, and made 268 starts and 10 appearances from the bench. The pair were key members of the side which reached the Championship play-offs in 2014/15.

“Chambo and Cole have been exemplary pros for this football club,” boss Paul Cook told the club site. 

“Not only are they very good footballers, they are stand-out men in the way they conduct themselves

“They have been a pleasure to work with in my short time here and you won’t find better role models for young players coming through.

“We thank them for their fantastic service to Ipswich Town Football Club and wish them every success in whatever they do going forward.”

The pair have both been linked with a summer move to Colchester United, along with Freddie Sears, although they may well have plenty of options in Leagues One and Two.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm

Although it is time for him to go, I'm a bit sorry to see the end of Chambers - ok he was never the best footballer in the world but always gave 100%.

As far as Skuse goes - good riddance

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Jackson and Donacien are STAYING! Wow. That surprises me. Maybe they will just want to sell Jackson for a fee??? Hes been pants this year

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 4:11 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm
Jackson and Donacien are STAYING! Wow. That surprises me. Maybe they will just want to sell Jackson for a fee??? Hes been pants this year
I can understand they did this to perhaps get a fee for Jackson at a knockdown price - but triggering Donaciens contract is not for me. He might be a solid RB defensively, but he can’t get forward which Cook wants. If KVY gets injured after a few games, then we could be lumbered with a limited defender. He’s done very little in 3 seasons - time to part company.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm
It absolutely beggars belief. As for selling Jackson, who the hell would pay money for a striker who can't score? (apart from us of course)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 4:53 pm

I think it's good business, wouldn't surprise me if Fleetwood have already made an approach, would love a swap deal for Wes Barnes !!!!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:53 pm
I think it's good business, wouldn't surprise me if Fleetwood have already made an approach, would love a swap deal for Wes Barnes !!!!
I think you will find he is out of contract in June.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 5:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
It would be good business if we can get 100-200k for Donacien. Not sure how much money Fleetwood have. And could they match Donacien’s wages here? He and Jackson could sit on their contracts here if no offers come in. It’s obvious Jackson has no future here in the team, so it’s either very savvy business or we’re lumbered with a player who can’t fit into the team. Be disappointed if either are here next season. If Ashton can get money for these two... fair play to him.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I think you will find he is out of contract in June.
Oh my mistake they have a one year option :blush:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon May 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm
Official.....
Town have confirmed that skipper Luke Chambers and midfielder Cole Skuse are leaving the club this summer.

Chambers, 35, joined the Blues on a free transfer from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2012 during Paul Jewell’s time as boss.

The centre-half or right-back went on to make 395 starts and one sub appearance for the Blues, netting 19 times, all but a handful while wearing the captain’s armband.

Leicester 'making it difficult for ourselves' - Rodgers

Skuse, also 35, joined Town from Bristol City the following summer, also on a free transfer, and made 268 starts and 10 appearances from the bench. The pair were key members of the side which reached the Championship play-offs in 2014/15.

“Chambo and Cole have been exemplary pros for this football club,” boss Paul Cook told the club site. 

“Not only are they very good footballers, they are stand-out men in the way they conduct themselves

“They have been a pleasure to work with in my short time here and you won’t find better role models for young players coming through.

“We thank them for their fantastic service to Ipswich Town Football Club and wish them every success in whatever they do going forward.”

The pair have both been linked with a summer move to Colchester United, along with Freddie Sears, although they may well have plenty of options in Leagues One and Two.

Finally some good news. Towns promotion push starts here. Just Sears and Huws to go.