Promotion Next Season Will Be Tough

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Promotion Next Season Will Be Tough

Post by rossi » Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm

So...............teams relegated to League 1 from the Championship are Wycombe, Sheff Wed, and Rotherham.

I don't fear Wycombe at all - I think they were a one-season wonder last season and it's been nice this season to see the smile wiped off of the face of that long-haired can't sing idiot Ainsworth.

The other 2 are a different kettle of fish - particularly Rotherham who have who I consider to be the best manager outside of the Premiership.
No matter what we are able to spend, it's going to be extremely tough to get automatic promotion.

AzzurroMark

Re: Promotion Next Season Will Be Tough

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat May 08, 2021 6:39 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Its by no means a given.

Haven't Derby spent circa £200m and are still shìt having only just survived the drop?
Was watching those scores hoping Rotherham would score a late winner and consign Derby to League One. Would rather face a Derby team than Rotherham who are used to League 1 and expert at escaping it.

As for those coming up. Cheltenham? Seriously? Along with Cambridge and our friends Bolton. Depending on the L2 playoff, they could be joined by Morecambe or Forest Green! The last time we played Morecambe in the cup they were virtually minnows compared to our then status! How we have fallen! :(

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 pm

If there isn't significant improvement next season, I think a lot of people including myself will give up on ITFC. I'm not saying it's promotion or bust, but we need to be one of the best top three or four teams in the division. If we're rubbish again, I think I'll take a break.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 08, 2021 7:34 pm

We will be much better next season, of that I'm certain, with team building to come it's impossible to say at this stage which teams will be good or bad, im pretty confident the teams going up from this division are better than those coming down.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 pm
If there isn't significant improvement next season, I think a lot of people including myself will give up on ITFC. I'm not saying it's promotion or bust, but we need to be one of the best top three or four teams in the division. If we're rubbish again, I think I'll take a break.
You know those two quotes are never going to happen 9, supporting your football club doesn’t include taking time off, or given up on them, Sorry mate,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 pm
number 9 wrote:
You know those two quotes are never going to happen 9, supporting your football club doesn’t include taking time off, or given up on them, Sorry mate,
I honestly hope not Wolfie, but enough is enough. We’ve had so many resets over the past 20 years full of false hope and disappointment, I’m just not sure I can endure another failure. I’ll always be an ITFC supporter, but like I said if there’s no improvement next season I’ll be taking a break.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am
goldandblack wrote:
number 9 wrote:
I honestly hope not Wolfie, but enough is enough. We’ve had so many resets over the past 20 years full of false hope and disappointment, I’m just not sure I can endure another failure. I’ll always be an ITFC supporter, but like I said if there’s no improvement next season I’ll be taking a break.
number 9
I'm a ITFC, Jets and Mets fan so all I'm saying is give me a break let alone take one. :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:34 am

ITFC, Cowboys, Rangers fan here Shed. I feel your pain! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:41 am

Which means next season Ipswich Town FC will be sharing a league with Wycombe, Cheltenham, and either Morecambe or Forest Green Rovers?
Jaysus H Fkn C. 🤦‍♂️

That knowledge alone will spur on the owners, investors and Paul Cook.

“Marko, we have no divine right........”

Yes, fk off with that shyte, I’m in my 50s. Ipswich DO have the divine right! 👍👍👌

🙏🙏🙏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am

number 9 wrote:
Yes, but don’t take a break from the forum you funny as fk, crazy bstd! 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Sorry I didn’t see this thread , when I posted a new one... admin plz combine if you are willing ...

It’s going to be a VERY tough season I think.....

On the basis that I’m assuming Blackpool will win the playoffs ...the following teams will be at PR next season

Sheffield Wed
Rotherham ( league one hardened)
Wycombe ( league one hardened)
Sunderland
Oxford
Charlton
Lincoln
Pompey
Fleetwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 09, 2021 2:17 pm

And they'll all be saying that about us too

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 09, 2021 3:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am
number 9 wrote:
Yes, but don’t take a break from the forum you funny as fk, crazy bstd! 👍

Agree, especially after all that time and effort training 9 to become a crazy bstd!. and you think when he started the training he was only No 4.
I reckon he's being head hunted by the Spike Milligan appreciation Society :lol: :lol: :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 09, 2021 3:57 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 am
goldandblack wrote:
number 9 wrote:
the thing is clubs like the Town and us will always return to the top because of the die hard fans we both have, New owners, new beginning's, and your still be there, remember You cant kid a kidder. :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 09, 2021 3:57 pm

number 9 wrote:

The problem is No 9, if your team is in your blood you just don’t take that break. I simply detest following Town in League One but it’s impossible not to. I can only assume you don’t have that same “in your blood” connection.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:40 pm

Na, come on now. No way. I do not know 9 from Adam, but he'll have the connection in his blood. No doubt.

Correct me if I am wrong, 9 but its an "exasperation" thing isn't it?

Long story short........, When The Sevco, the Jambos and Hibs were in the championship in the 15/16 season, that wasn't too bad, then the jambos got promoted, and then 16/17, the sevco got promoted.
Hibs headed into a THIRD season in the championship. My season ticket was used by many family members and pals on numerous occasions during that 17/18 season. Just needed a break from the Vs Alloas, Vs Dumbartons and the Vs Ayr Utds. Just wears you down. Park the bus football is soul destroying. Ipswich v Cheltenham will test many an ITFC fans exasperation levels.

No doubt 9 will be taking a break from watching those highlights next season......, and instead watching the Detroit Lions with their new regime thrashing those Cowboys!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:40 pm
No doubt 9 will be taking a break from watching those highlights next season......, and instead watching the Detroit Lions with their new regime thrashing those Cowboys!
Haha no doubt that will be the case. Anyway, I'd don't want to distract from the main topic of the thread. I'm sure ITFC will dominate next season, and we'll get promoted. As far as ITFC in my blood goes,...the last time I checked I'm still pissing blue and white. :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 pm

:mrgreen: I find it very satisfying Marco, supporting the JAGS promotion back to the SF Championship where they belong :D

:roll: Now I want Ipswich to copy that result 21/22 season and back to the FL Championship, I want to see the reaction to teams who think they will try to shut us down with close marking, and our reaction will be this, So you want to play rough and tight do you, well you've picked the wrong F*****G team this season, we are now a roll up your sleeves Ipswich Town team who will battle tooth and nail to win promotion, we will mix it with the best, we will fight to the end, No surrender, fight for the badge and win promotion in style, the 14 year old Ipswich Town FC are gone, long live the new Ipswich Town FC, COYB

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:40 pm
Na, come on now. No way. I do not know 9 from Adam, but he'll have the connection in his blood. No doubt.

Correct me if I am wrong, 9 but its an "exasperation" thing isn't it?

Long story short........, When The Sevco, the Jambos and Hibs were in the championship in the 15/16 season, that wasn't too bad, then the jambos got promoted, and then 16/17, the sevco got promoted.
Hibs headed into a THIRD season in the championship. My season ticket was used by many family members and pals on numerous occasions during that 17/18 season. Just needed a break from the Vs Alloas, Vs Dumbartons and the Vs Ayr Utds. Just wears you down. Park the bus football is soul destroying. Ipswich v Cheltenham will test many an ITFC fans exasperation levels.

another long story short, i used to know this season ticket holder that used to leave at half time saying" that's it you wont see me again here.
then the next week he'd be back and if we were playing bad or losing off he'd go again,

Anyway we had arrived in Div 1, and just as that season started he Died, so he missed all that's happened since, how sad is that,

often think of him and his words of " that's it you wont see me again here. there's a moral to this story somewhere ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Sounds more like the Mol pies were giving him diahorrea, Wolfie.

"Oopsy, must dash!" :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:35 pm
Sounds more like the Mol pies were giving him diahorrea, Wolfie.

"Oopsy, must dash!" :lol:
:lol: Agree ;that's one thing you learn very quick down the Mol, DONT EVER EAT THE PIES :?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 am

Whatever happens next season it has to be more exciting than the season just finished. If it isn’t we’ll all be joining No 9 in exile.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 10, 2021 8:49 am

No point in worrying about other teams. Just focus on us getting a group of players together who know their roles and are fit and firing. We’ve done the ‘we’re good on paper’ thing where we thought we’d p*ss the league. Didn’t work out and no need to overthink it. Looking forward to seeing better football.
I like Cook’s words in that he’s not that worried about other teams and he’ll just play his way. It should be about us and not worrying about how weak/strong the league is. Feeling positive for next season even if it’s only at the moment about offloading a shedload of players.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 10, 2021 11:23 am

This is he first time for a while I’ve actually felt excited about a close season and what happens over the summer break. I can’t wait for the new season to start and expect us to make a serious challenge for a return to the Championship. Of course it won’t be easy but at last I feel we have a manager suited to the job and up for the challenge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Exactly how I feel Andy, without hope what's the point.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon May 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 pm
Exactly how I feel Andy, without hope what's the point.
my old dad used to say " supporting Ipswich is like going on a very long bus ride, there's a lot of ups and downs on the trip, loads of bumpy bits and holes to fall in, although they do change the driver from time to time, you cant actually get off this bus,

He did actually use more choice words than that but I don't swear, :?

PS, I'm Just glad i got on a different bus, :wink: anyone remember the old Theobald busses, they used to park one between my 2 uncles houses in Long Medford.
i can still picture them all getting on that rust bucket.