Our team as it stands

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Our team as it stands

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 pm

Just a thought about what's left assuming all fit.

Cornell
KVY. Toto. Wolfie. Kenlock

Downes. Nolan. Dozzell

Dobra. Lankester
Norwood

Just messing about but it does not look good I hope it's much different come August .

number 9

Re: Our team as it stands

Post by number 9 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 pm

It’d be great if Mods could put a sticky on this? It’ll be interesting to see how the squad changes over the summer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Stuck 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 11, 2021 5:45 am

I dont think its gonna look anything like that tbh, we know a lot of new faces are coming in, even if they weren't I don't see Lankester being anywhere near the first team. CB's, wingers, strikers will deffo be on Cook’s list of targets.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 11, 2021 7:59 am

Cant see that team looking anything like it’s going to be. If it is - we’re in trouble.

I can only see KVY, Downes and perhaps Norwood as nailed on starters. And I’d expect another striker to come in to challenge Norwood.

Only Downes does it for me in midfield. Wonderful talent that Dozzell is - he still has to up his game and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Need a lot of new players who can create and score. These lot can’t. Hope Dobra is in the squad, but we need widemen who can score.

I’m not even sure Lankester has a future here.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue May 11, 2021 8:49 am

Agree about Lankester the thing that worries me is getting rid of players it's not going to be easy and as to our forwards only Norwood is any use, I do think we might get Parrott back he was improving IMO.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am

After the cull yesterday below is basically what is left 21 players to build for the future plus any additions Cook may bring in. We need a Goalkeeper, Left Back, Centre Half, Midfielder that scores goals and a striker who does not need 4 chances to score 1.

Holy
Cornell

KVY
Donacien
Kenlock
Wolfenden
Nsiala
Ndaba

Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Bishop

McGavin
El Mizouni
Edwards (If he re signs)
Lankester
Dobra

Jackson
Norwood
Hawkins
Drinan

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am

Of that lot I would like to see the following move on....
Donacien
Woolfenden
Nolan
McGavin
Edwards
Lankester
Drinan
Hawkins
Jackson

Some would clearly need to be sold which means somebody has to want them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Can’t believe news that McGavin isn’t away.

I’m now hoping he stays........ just so you can all see how pish he is.
I know you lot go on about “Scottish fitbaw”....... but McGavin made the game north ‘o the border look world class! :shock:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm

So what's the deal with Holy? Did I miss a post? I hope he moves on!

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm
So what's the deal with Holy? Did I miss a post? I hope he moves on!
So do i, never known a keeper so static when a shot comes in his direction. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm

The interesting thing is the above list has 21 names on it, our squad was supposedly 56 strong ? 35 names gone is some cull.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm
The interesting thing is the above list has 21 names on it, our squad was supposedly 56 strong ? 35 names gone is some cull.
I think a lot of those 56 were youngsters who were never near the first team. I think if you add them into the mix we’d still have a squad of 35 or so. I want more culling.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 12, 2021 4:22 pm

I do too, that will happen

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm

I think we will soon have more coaches etc than players only hope we can get new players in as quick.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Can't sign players yet ! The building blocks behind the scenes are equally important and are being put in place nicely.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm
Can't sign players yet ! The building blocks behind the scenes are equally important and are being put in place nicely.
Yes I know that I'm just a bit worried our signings will come late in the window and we might have a slow start to the season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm

I have a feeling Cookie has some lined up already

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:02 pm

I posted an article on the Take Over thread that gives a good explanation of how we’ll be set up ‘behind the scenes’.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 am

More players to find new clubs under contract .
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ips ... ve-7969388

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 am

Exactly as I said, we haven't seen the last of it and more will go, extentions taken up to recoup a bit and to use in potential deals. Some get very impatient but Cook will get rid although I suspect the likes of Dobra, Downes and Dozzell are wrongly mentioned in the article. Can't wait for part Two of the clearout once Ashton Arrives

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 pm

I agree about 3 of them but in my opinion Woolfenden and Lankester aren't good enough

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 14, 2021 11:06 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:13 pm
That includes many players who are under contract for extended periods, such as homegrown youngsters Flynn Downes, Andre Dozzell, Luke Woolfenden, Jack Lankester and Armando Dobra.
I don't agree with losing any of them. To me worthy homegrown talent should be at the heart of the team and it won't feel much like Ipswich Town anymore.

I'm liking Cook less and less unfortunately. Whilst its nice to have money to spend, those named there are more than worthy of their place in my opinion. Money should be used to bolster the squad and not ship out everyone.

In danger of losing our identity in my opinion.
Balls, is there a danger we’ve over-estimated how good these young lads are? With the depressing last few years, maybe one of the shining lights and hopes for the future were our academy players. Maybe we put too much belief in them because it was the one thing we had pride in. TBF... if they were as good as we thought they were, then they surely would have shone in L1.

From Cook’s perspective, he’s under a lot of pressure to get results relatively quickly. If he doesn’t trust these players to get results then why should he keep them here? These players shouldn’t get preference because they come through the academy. It’s simple, they have to earn the right to be in the team, in the squad or at the club.

I can understand the ‘identity’ comment, but, currently, our identity is a mediocre under-performing mid-table L1 team. If our academy takes preference and we’re judged by how many academy players we have in the team, then we’re also likely to slip further back. They haven’t shown enough for me.

I think we will have some young players here at the start of next season. Surprised that Dobra has been asked to find another club as I think he’s the type who’d do well here under Cook. Hopefully, he here’s next season along with Downes. Downes could well want away anyway.
I wonder if this is a challenge set by Cook ie If you want to still be here - then be prepared to earn the right to be.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 am

Last season (2019/2020) I was excited by the prospect of Wolfendon and thought we'd do well to hold onto him, but I don't feel he's improved and wouldn't be that sorry to lose him. The one player I'd be really sorry to lose is Dobra who has a bit of devil about him and knows where the goal is. I've always liked Bishop but he does appear to have a bit of an injury problem which for a midfielder in particular isn't good. When we bought Norwood he had a fantastic partnership at Tranmere with a midfielder there (I can't remember his name) but I thought at the time it would have been a sensible move to try and get them both as that sort of partnership is worth so much. I'd definitely keep Norwood and if he can stay fit he's a 20 goal a season man. Dozzell has a great pass in him - too good for some of our players but he is a luxury we could do without in L1. PC will get a squad together to get us out of this division - there is a losing mentality at Ipswich which he has to get rid of.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:06 am
BlueBalls wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:13 pm
That includes many players who are under contract for extended periods, such as homegrown youngsters Flynn Downes, Andre Dozzell, Luke Woolfenden, Jack Lankester and Armando Dobra.
I don't agree with losing any of them. To me worthy homegrown talent should be at the heart of the team and it won't feel much like Ipswich Town anymore.

I'm liking Cook less and less unfortunately. Whilst its nice to have money to spend, those named there are more than worthy of their place in my opinion. Money should be used to bolster the squad and not ship out everyone.

In danger of losing our identity in my opinion.
Balls, is there a danger we’ve over-estimated how good these young lads are? With the depressing last few years, maybe one of the shining lights and hopes for the future were our academy players. Maybe we put too much belief in them because it was the one thing we had pride in. TBF... if they were as good as we thought they were, then they surely would have shone in L1.

From Cook’s perspective, he’s under a lot of pressure to get results relatively quickly. If he doesn’t trust these players to get results then why should he keep them here? These players shouldn’t get preference because they come through the academy. It’s simple, they have to earn the right to be in the team, in the squad or at the club.

I can understand the ‘identity’ comment, but, currently, our identity is a mediocre under-performing mid-table L1 team. If our academy takes preference and we’re judged by how many academy players we have in the team, then we’re also likely to slip further back. They haven’t shown enough for me.

I think we will have some young players here at the start of next season. Surprised that Dobra has been asked to find another club as I think he’s the type who’d do well here under Cook. Hopefully, he here’s next season along with Downes. Downes could well want away anyway.
I wonder if this is a challenge set by Cook ie If you want to still be here - then be prepared to earn the right to be.
Super post Tang and spot on for me. As you say our identity is shot to bits now, we need to get our identity back, there is nothing to hold onto in that regard atm. As for Dobra, I don't believe he's been asked to find another club for one second.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am

Some great posts above.

I found the wage bill, not sure how accurate it is but I doubt its too far out.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... wich-town/

I wonder how far our 6m was going in terms of the financial fair play? i.e what would our limit be?
Just as well Bennetts was a loan! At least with 18k cleared just from him that is hopefully 2x good players wages. Plus the squad will be smaller so can maybe attract some better players with offers.

Seens Waghorn was only on 7.9k at Derby though so when we get linked with players like him there might be some chance in it (even if we as fan's don't want it - that's a different matter)

Scanning the championship clubs it seems the lower ones have many players on around 7k a week, with the better players on 10-20k. Might be a handy tool when we get linked with players as we can see their current/last salary. I.e Rhodes is in 35k so I doubt he would step down to sub 10k to us, if any other champ club is willing to go 10k+.
I imagine clubs will be a bit more frugal this summer so we might be able top snap up some good players as their salary demands might be lower in this market, so many free agents and other clubs have less finances etc.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 am

shabba wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am
Some great posts above.

I found the wage bill, not sure how accurate it is but I doubt its too far out.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... wich-town/

I wonder how far our 6m was going in terms of the financial fair play? i.e what would our limit be?
Just as well Bennetts was a loan! At least with 18k cleared just from him that is hopefully 2x good players wages. Plus the squad will be smaller so can maybe attract some better players with offers.

Seens Waghorn was only on 7.9k at Derby though so when we get linked with players like him there might be some chance in it (even if we as fan's don't want it - that's a different matter)

Scanning the championship clubs it seems the lower ones have many players on around 7k a week, with the better players on 10-20k. Might be a handy tool when we get linked with players as we can see their current/last salary. I.e Rhodes is in 35k so I doubt he would step down to sub 10k to us, if any other champ club is willing to go 10k+.
I imagine clubs will be a bit more frugal this summer so we might be able top snap up some good players as their salary demands might be lower in this market, so many free agents and other clubs have less finances etc.
I was listening to the Kings of Anglia podcast this week and Stuart Watson said he talked to a source who had some info regarding the type of player we are targeting.. He mentioned Rhodes and Waghorn as a reference point for the type we’re after and he was told we were looking above that. Personally, I don’t want a Waghorn or especially Rhodes, but it sounds like we’re going to be competitive. There’s financial fair play rules in place that restricts our salary budget so that’s going to be a factor. We’ll see how it develops, but if we can flog some players for cash ( no easy job) that would increase our budget.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am

I also heard that comment on the podcast :).

My concern is what can we actually spend as we are limited by the fair play, would love to know what the actual max wage budget spend could be for us.

I think we won't hear too many rumours until the end of the month as officially I don't believe you can approach UK based out of contract players until start of June (1 month before their contract expires). Its 6 months for players in EU I think.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 15, 2021 9:56 am

shabba wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am
I also heard that comment on the podcast :).

My concern is what can we actually spend as we are limited by the fair play, would love to know what the actual max wage budget spend could be for us.

I think we won't hear too many rumours until the end of the month as officially I don't believe you can approach UK based out of contract players until start of June (1 month before their contract expires). Its 6 months for players in EU I think.
I think the budget is 60% of our revenue. And that , I believe, excludes transfer fees, just the players salaries. If we sell more season tickets and flog more players - then we get a bigger budget to play with. May be ways to circumvent that ie a big signing on fee and smaller salary (?). Over to Ashton on that one.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:24 pm

I can understand some people's hesitation with the cull, but I'm not at all surprised. I remember Berke Bakay's reaction when asked if he was surprised their hadn't been an uptick in performances after Cook was assigned. He politely said he was slightly surprised, but I got the impression he was a bit more disappointed than he showed...as well he should have been.

These American owners are high on optimism and belief and they won't stand for underachievers. Either the players and managers perform or they'll be gone! If you think the Glazers are bad, you watch how quickly the smiles turn to frowns if we continue to be crap.

There are a few players from the squad I'll be sad to see go, but it will probably be better for them anyway if they get a new start. Yep I've questioned the quality of our Academy a few times to the disdain of others, but unfortunately there hasn't been enough young talent to get us out of this league. I am encouraged now with the success of the U18s, and I really hope we'll produce some excellent Academy Grads in the future.

For now, let Cook build a new team and let's see what happens. If we're still crap, I'll light the fireworks for you!