EXCLUSIVE; ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

EXCLUSIVE; ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new club

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:01 am

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ips ... bFxXl5tPbw

The list of players instructed to find new clubs also includes Teddy Bishop, despite the fact he triggered an extended stay in recent weeks, as well as left-back Myles Kenlock and goalkeepers Tomas Holy and David Cornell.

The club took up contract options on Kayden Jackson and Toto Nsiala but it’s believed they are both also available for transfer as the club look to recoup some of the money spent on them by Paul Hurst in the summer of 2018.

Dubai Blue

Re: EXCLUSIVE; ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new club

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 am

Wow that's much more extensive than I think any of us expected.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: EXCLUSIVE; ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new club

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 am
Wow that's much more extensive than I think any of us expected.
Wow, that was exactly my reaction DB.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am

We’ve heard before there’s been a rotten core running through our football club, clearly the new owners want rid and are ready to completely clear the decks and start anew.

If this article is accurate they really do intend to start a complete rebuild but there will be risks attached.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 am

I think a very risky strategy. However, I’m glad they want rid of pretty much everyone.

I’m not sure the club is rotten to the core - more of a soft touch where it’s too easy to be in a comfort zone for too long. Needs shaking up, but if Cook and Ashton get it wrong then it could be disastrous. At least it won’t be death by a thousand cuts. Cook and Ashton are going to be busy this summer. As been said before, I think Cook has already players lined up. You’d hope so with this aggressive stance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am

I’m sure he’ll have players lined up Tang and may well already have negotiations going on, however there’s far more in it than simply acquiring, like getting them to play together as a team.

Pre season games will be very interesting for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 13, 2021 9:43 am

Bloody good job!!!
The annoying thing is some of the little shyte swill probably end up with Championship clubs.

I honestly can say I’m not surprised Cook has tipped them all out, they’ve been pathetic, rotten apples with minimal intent to get into those play offs as the latest piece of “the can’t be arsed” attitude, which IMO has gone on at this Club for years now.

Sod off the lot of them.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am

It maybe a risky strategy but as I said on another thread imo one that needs to be taken.
The majority of players have had several opportunities to show that they are capable of taking the club forward but have failed to show they are up to the task. Yes we might query why certain players are being told they can go but we don’t see them on a daily basis and how they perform in trining and their general attitude.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 13, 2021 9:51 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am
I’m sure he’ll have players lined up Tang and may well already have negotiations going on, however there’s far more in it than simply acquiring, like getting them to play together as a team.

Pre season games will be very interesting for sure.
Yes, and this is why I’m glad they’re leaving - because in 2-3 years this lot never learnt how to play as a team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 am

Exactly as I said, we haven't seen the last of it and more will go, extentions taken up to recoup a bit and to use in potential deals. Some get very impatient but Cook will get rid although I suspect the likes of Dobra, Downes and Dozzell are wrongly mentioned in the article. Can't wait for part Two of the clearout once Ashton Arrives

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 13, 2021 12:42 pm

well I was one who, a few weeks ago, wanted the whole lot of them gone, so I was pleased to see this.

But please, let's get things in perspective. I'm reading peoples comments on here that they are leaving - they are not necessarily.
They have been advised to get themselves another club, that's all. If they decide that they are happy to stay here and collect their money every week then there is not a thing that anybody can do to stop it.

And even if they decide they want to move on, it then needs other clubs wanting to take them on - and let's be honest, none of them covered themselves in glory this season so I doubt if any of them will be high on any other clubs shopping list.

And until we can ship some out, I think that will restrict how many we can bring in. There's a long way to go yet.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu May 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Honestly I reckon there is a bit of journalistic licence in the wording here. Getting the right players in is not an easy job and doing it in numbers is very very hard. I reckon that in fact Cook has told some of those players to think about their futures and wants to see how they respond.

He may be secretly hoping that some of them will respond with passion and determination to stay on board.

Still, opinions as they say are like *rseholes, everybody has one. We will find out more as this intriguing Summer progresses for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:42 pm
well I was one who, a few weeks ago, wanted the whole lot of them gone, so I was pleased to see this.

But please, let's get things in perspective. I'm reading peoples comments on here that they are leaving - they are not necessarily.
They have been advised to get themselves another club, that's all. If they decide that they are happy to stay here and collect their money every week then there is not a thing that anybody can do to stop it.

And even if they decide they want to move on, it then needs other clubs wanting to take them on - and let's be honest, none of them covered themselves in glory this season so I doubt if any of them will be high on any other clubs shopping list.

And until we can ship some out, I think that will restrict how many we can bring in. There's a long way to go yet.
Spot on, the only good thing is this is the crazy world of football and thankfully failures at one club are more often snapped up elsewhere, here's hoping!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:56 pm

Got to A$$-ume Kenlock only had that ONE good game that I witnessed. Cookie knows better than me. I did think Myles look decent. 🤷‍♂️

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

It is playing with fire, we don't know the calibre of player available and what they will cost. Agents and teams will be pushing for higher fees and wages because they know we're substantially in the market and have to buy and probably have the resources to do so.

We have seen so many players leave and thrive elsewhere, we don't want to get rid of players who may flourish in the right system. I know part of Cook and the new ownership want a fresh start and a blank slate, but teams can take years to build for a reason, it's hard to start from scratch.

I'm not saying it's good to see some players move on and an optimistic approach come in to the club, but we've seen it all before with Hurst's overhaul and we've seen it with Lambert's words of optimism and big shake up. Both fell flat on their faces (I know I blame a lot of that on Evans who has thank god, buggered off), but I hope they hold on to a bit of caution, at least until a few new faces start trickling in.

If we upset the players, they may remain and you have unrest, we may even have to call on them if we don't get the players in that we need. I'm cautiously optimistic and a little worried, the same voices who say you can't buy success are now jumping around shouting how exciting and successful next season will be before a ball has been kicked, before a new player has come in and boat loads (of admittedly not top quality) are leaving.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm

He's had one to ones with everyone so those that are wanted and exempt from criticism will know who they are, not everyone will be leaving, that much is certain

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm
....., we may even have to call on them if we don't get the players in that we need.....
Yep, this is a good point.

Paul Cook really does have arguably his most important summer ahead in his life. Let’s face it, this is (again, arguably) his biggest management gig to date.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Its hilarious to me that when we only released nine people wanted more, now its clear more will be going the concern is its too much, I would like to just believe Cook and Co know exactly what they are doing, he's never failed before and let's face it half of what is reported is just paper talk.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu May 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Paul Cook has had a couple of months to work out his plan. Lets now let him implement it. We have absolutely no idea and no control so lets just enjoy the rollercoaster ride and trust his judgement - what do we really know? Zip, nought, nothing so leave it with him 🤞👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 pm

At least he’s brought some excitement to the summer close season. In Paul Cook I trust and it’s a long time since I said that about our management.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:33 pm
Its hilarious to me that when we only released nine people wanted more, now its clear more will be going the concern is its too much, I would like to just believe Cook and Co know exactly what they are doing, he's never failed before and let's face it half of what is reported is just paper talk.
It is possible and valid to hold both views though, and it's not flip flopping to be exited about players leaving, but still harbor trepidation about how it will all pan out.

I think every fan should feel like that at the moment, obviously we all want to "just believe", but we've done that with Hurst and Lambert (and the many before), we've been burnt before, only a fool would expect utopia next season and I think its an unfair expectation on Cook and the new owners.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 14, 2021 6:51 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
It is possible and valid to hold both views though, and it's not flip flopping to be exited about players leaving, but still harbor trepidation about how it will all pan out.

I think every fan should feel like that at the moment, obviously we all want to "just believe", but we've done that with Hurst and Lambert (and the many before), we've been burnt before, only a fool would expect utopia next season and I think its an unfair expectation on Cook and the new owners.
I understand where you’re coming from. We could have done a softer reset (maybe still will), but this group of players don’t seem to be improving. I’m not sure if we kept a lot of these together longer we can get more out of them. They’ve had their chance.
And nothing’s been officially confirmed that all these players are going.
I’m still trying to work out why we extended contracts so that those players could be re-sold. It’s going to be a tough sale to offload players who’ve under-performed and hold little, if any, value. Especially as they’re on half-decent wages and could sit a season out here on those wages.
Things will become clearer. Cook and Ashton aren’t mugs and these new owners will demand a massive improvement. There’s been talk from the likes of Stuart Watson that we will have a budget where we can compete with Championship clubs for players.
It could go badly wrong, but it was going very wrong anyway in a death by a thousand cuts way. Exciting summer ahead - but I agree - not without pitfalls.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri May 14, 2021 10:19 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I think this is an excellent post that sums up perfectly how I feel: slight concern that so many are leaving (they can't say they weren't warned), along with the excitement of who PC brings in. Should be an interesting summer.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 am

I’m thinking it will be a miracle if Cook gets us up next season. You can’t bring in a whole new squad and expect it just to happen. It’s a well worn phrase but It really does take time to “ gel together”. But I can see some section of fans getting arsey on twtd mid season, when MHS p*ss the league ITFC hasn’t happened. It would be far more realistic to hope f9r promotion the following season. But I’d expect the football to be a lot better this season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 21, 2021 1:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 am
I’m thinking it will be a miracle if Cook gets us up next season. You can’t bring in a whole new squad and expect it just to happen. It’s a well worn phrase but It really does take time to “ gel together”. But I can see some section of fans getting arsey on twtd mid season, when MHS p*ss the league ITFC hasn’t happened. It would be far more realistic to hope f9r promotion the following season. But I’d expect the football to be a lot better this season.
I tend to agree here - but I guess it all depends on just how wide the broom is.
Whichever, I don't expect next season to be the walk in the park many are predicting