Plans for Portman Road...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Plans for Portman Road...

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 24, 2021 9:17 am

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ad-7989776

But patience is requested...... but not that that they will be patient regarding results it seems. The pressure will really be on Cook to provide results , but having said that , they are realistic that time is needed to achieve the goals set .

Gonna be an exciting time I think đź‘Ť

COYBs

AzzurroMark

Re: Plans for Portman Road...

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 24, 2021 11:33 am

hallamblue wrote: ↑
Mon May 24, 2021 9:17 am
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ad-7989776

But patience is requested...... but not that that they will be patient regarding results it seems. The pressure will really be on Cook to provide results , but having said that , they are realistic that time is needed to achieve the goals set .
Gonna be an exciting time I think đź‘Ť

COYBs
Loving all this positivity coming from within the club. Talk of giant screens and safe standing areas certainly whet the appetite.
Something which could be done immediately, I would personally like to see the visiting supporters area moved to the SBR end of the Cobbold stand. This would instantly improve the atmosphere on match day, though i guess a lot of this would be down to police advice.

I guess there are endless opportunities for generating extra income and support and by the sounds of it we might just have the right people in place to bring it all to fruition.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 am

I think the moving of away fans have to approved by the Police and security. So not sure this will happen

I totally agree on how that would improve the atmosphere. Still remember when away support was in the North Stand

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu May 27, 2021 10:21 pm

I can’t really see a problem with moving the away fans. They will still be segregated after all.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 28, 2021 3:53 pm

The argument would be that the proximity would rile up both sets of fans, so even if they can't get at each other in the ground, it makes the whole context worse, and also projectiles...

I'm not too bothered on that, if you stick rival fans together, it's just a bunch of grown manchildren spitting vitriol at each other for 90 minutes and not even watching the match.

I'm not sure that constitutes 'good atmosphere' and shouldn't really be encouraged. A far far better way of improving atmosphere is standing areas.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri May 28, 2021 10:16 pm

bluejacko wrote: ↑
Thu May 27, 2021 10:21 pm
I can’t really see a problem with moving the away fans. They will still be segregated after all.
not sure if any of you have been in that away section but its not a great experience, the bars a nightmare especially if all the seats are sold, the seating is cramped, I used to like it when we had the section behind the goal. Up to 5k allowed, when standing was allowed.
think the worst is Newcastle ground. need a telescope to see the match lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 29, 2021 2:41 pm

If memory serves me right , the away fans were moved to the opposite end of the Cobbold stand, after narwich fans trashed the away end ( that was then in the corner of the Cobbold stand next to the North Stand), for 3 consecutive seasons, causing ÂŁthousands of damage under the stand, and ripping all the seats out. The Police then said the away fans had to be moved.....it also made it supposedly less volatile for fans walking to and from the station to the ground.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 29, 2021 2:43 pm

goldandblack wrote: ↑
Fri May 28, 2021 10:16 pm
not sure if any of you have been in that away section but its not a great experience, the bars a nightmare especially if all the seats are sold, the seating is cramped, I used to like it when we had the section behind the goal. Up to 5k allowed, when standing was allowed.
It was like watching subbooteo ( spl?) :lol: ....you also felt like you were going to fall “ off” the stand ., it was that high it have you a massive feeling of vertigo. I think I can remember counting 17 flights of stairs. Bloody ridiculous?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat May 29, 2021 8:31 pm

Sat May 29, 2021 2:43 pm
Fri May 28, 2021 10:16 pm
It was like watching subbooteo ( spl?) :lol: ....you also felt like you were going to fall “ off” the stand ., it was that high it have you a massive feeling of vertigo. I think I can remember counting 17 flights of stairs. Bloody ridiculous?
personally I didn't like the colour of the parachutes.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... t-14386184

New Premier League rules mean clubs must have away fans at pitch side level
Newcastle argued safety issues made such a shift at St James' Park impossible
Premier League have given them special dispensation to delay move for a year
Manchester United will also not be forced to move supporters straight away

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:19 am

Look at that view! Ridiculous isn’t it! You can’t even see the numbers on the players backs. Would hate to be stood there every week.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:19 am
Look at that view! Ridiculous isn’t it! You can’t even see the numbers on the players backs. Would hate to be stood there every week.
Looking at that pic, they are either the Vile or Scammers fans, so probably best they cant see lol

getting back to topic and the Portman Road changes

I know your far to young to remember, but wasn't the players changing rooms, and where they came out from in the other far corner of the stand nearest to the railway station, I'm sure they did,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:53 am

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm
Looking at that pic, they are either the Vile or Scammers fans, so probably best they cant see lol

I know your far to young to remember, but wasn't the players changing rooms, and where they came out from in the other far corner of the stand nearest to the railway station, I'm sure they did,
As best I recall the players at Portman Road have always come out from the corner between what was Churchmans Stand and the West Stand, now the Sir Alf Ramsay Stand and the East of England Co-operative Stand which has always contained the Directors Box.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Charnwood wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:53 am
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm

As best I recall the players at Portman Road have always come out from the corner between what was Churchmans Stand and the West Stand, now the Sir Alf Ramsay Stand and the East of England Co-operative Stand which has always contained the Directors Box.
I remember they were where they are now in the 50/60s, but I remember a Mercia League or Friendly match in the McGarry era, it was played on the first team pitch instead of that pitch behind the stand,
We had to walk across the pitch from getting changed to the dug out, perhaps it was only a temporary thing. Was in the mid/late 60s

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 pm

I don’t think I missed a single game during the Bill McGarry era, maybe there were temporary changing rooms after the old pavilion changing rooms were demolished.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 pm
I don’t think I missed a single game during the Bill McGarry era, maybe there were temporary changing rooms after the old pavilion changing rooms were demolished.
Dont forget this was a youth team match played in the mid week, probably only a handful of fans there. if i remember right our managers son played for the Town, Harry Ferrier junior.? Also a couple of kids i remember were Laurie Sivell and Bobby Bell. playing for you.
Dont think McGarry was manager of your youth team, but i remember he caused a bit of controversy at half time,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm
Dont forget this was a youth team match played in the mid week, probably only a handful of fans there. if i remember right our managers son played for the Town, Harry Ferrier junior.? Also a couple of kids i remember were Laurie Sivell and Bobby Bell. playing for you.
Dont think McGarry was manager of your youth team, but i remember he caused a bit of controversy at half time,

The point I’m making John is that from my earliest games when Alf Ramsay was Manager our players have always entered the pitch from the same part of the ground. When I first went to Portman Road the West Stand was the newest of the four stands and was built in 1957, extended many years later when a second level was built above the original stand in 1984. To be honest I don’t even recall having a Youth Team at Ipswich until Bobby Robson arrived. Previous to that I only recall Town having two teams, one playing in Div 3 South, subsequently Div 2 and Div 1 and a second team playing in the Combination League.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:36 pm
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm

The point I’m making John is that from my earliest games when Alf Ramsay was Manager our players have always entered the pitch from the same part of the ground. When I first went to Portman Road the West Stand was the newest of the four stands and was built in 1957, extended many years later when a second level was built above the original stand in 1984. To be honest I don’t even recall having a Youth Team at Ipswich until Bobby Robson arrived. Previous to that I only recall Town having two teams, one playing in Div 3 South, subsequently Div 2 and Div 1 and a second team playing in the Combination League.

Yes i have been visiting Portman Road for just as long. and i was sure they did, but just that once it moved, or perhaps they just didn't want us rif raf in there changing rooms, :?
Well Andy after all these years this site has taught you something new, :wink: Yeah the Towns youth team played in the Mercia League, and Colchester United also played in it.and before the Bobby Robson era

Mercia Youth League 1965/66. was that the last league title Town won. :wink:

1. Ipswich Town.
2. Southend United
3. Cambridge United
4. Chelmsford City
5. Stevenage Town
6. Colchester United
7. Cambridge City
8. Romford
9. Bedford Town
10. Hitchin Town