EURO 2020 / 2021 CHAT

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Re: EURO 2020 / 2021 CHAT

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am

What a great game. Lots of tension and excitement. Went pretty much as predicted. Danes pressing hard early. Their goal wasn't part of the plan but what a great goal it was. Can't believe it's the only direct free kick scored so far. But soon after that they inevitably tired and our midfield were able to turn with the ball and work the flanks. The goal when it came was already coming.

2nd half and extra time all England.

Lot's of sour grapes over here amongst the serially underachieving Polish fans that it wasn't a penalty but the first one sure was and these things do often even out in the end.

A word about VAR too. This is how it should work, I'm so impressed. Yes there may well have been two poor penalty calls but what matters is that VAR goes on in the background and only overrules the ref when the decision is clearly and 100% wrong. In both cases VAR was right not to overrule on this basis. The ref stays in control and keeps his authority.

On to Sunday night and I'm feeling good about this. Italy didn't show much against the Spanish and whilst the 2 central defenders are experienced they are also slower and it could be a tough night for them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am
A word about VAR too. This is how it should work, I'm so impressed. Yes there may well have been two poor penalty calls but what matters is that VAR goes on in the background and only overrules the ref when the decision is clearly and 100% wrong. In both cases VAR was right not to overrule on this basis. The ref stays in control and keeps his authority.
Reads like a full circle load of wind & pish, Dubai?
Why have VAR if that last part is correct?

Whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong. No??
Having NO VAR would be BETTER because then it’ll always be susceptible to human (referee) error ——>>> IF the ref is to keep his authority.

You can’t have BOTH the ref and VAR making a colossal C U N T of it, otherwise, whats the fking point?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:34 pm

If VAR had anything about it it would have seen that Denmark should not have had the Free kick from which they scored.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Agreed. My point is……. making a statement, ref keeps his authority while VAR remains? Whats that all about? One or the other.
And if VAR, then people need to get a grip with it being “ok” that the ref has no authority.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Yes I do get that. But for me it's fine tuning. The powers that be seem to have decided that VAR as it was in Russia is too intrusive and I think nobody would disagree with that. But they also seem to feel the need to have it in order to prevent gross injustices (cheating) that might occasionally have happened without it. I think that makes sense. It was interesting for me that we got to see the VAR output for the Sterling penalty that was not overturned but not the Kane penalty. Of course I could have missed it whilst making room for more beer :-)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:38 pm
Agreed. My point is……. making a statement, ref keeps his authority while VAR remains? Whats that all about? One or the other.
And if VAR, then people need to get a grip with it being “ok” that the ref has no authority.
Just had a minute to go back and look at that on youtube. :lol: Yes, nice wind up, Mike.

In that instance, dubai is 100% correct. English player wrestles Dane to the floor, ref sees it, (can’t be doing that type of thing) ….. freekick. All completely right and good refereeing without the need for VAR. And if VAR looked at it, then thats why it stood. No wrestling in the soccer, Mike.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:23 pm

Not a bad look inside the VAR room here and the team leader looking at the screen before making a decision.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Ticket for Sunday purchased. At least I had the opportunity of getting the cheapest ones available, if you can call 81 quid cheap!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm
Ticket for Sunday purchased. At least I had the opportunity of getting the cheapest ones available, if you can call 81 quid cheap!
£81 sounds a lot for the cheapest option, but with England reaching a final every (what) 3rd generation so far, it is a price worth paying to say you were there (whatever the outcome, but more so if England win)!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:30 pm

You should bite their hands off if £ 80 is a deal to be present at the Final game. Seriously, small price to pay for what's your biggest "football" game in 50 years and more.

Say this only once so it needs no repeat : First off I got no issue with England as a country, there's a whole lot of honor and prestige going back centuries that many nations can be envious of. Just don't like these tournaments coming round where the media and some fans beat themselves into a frenzy. All right if you're part of the nation you can kind of enjoy yourself but for the non-English among it, over time it's a pain in the as*. Have booked flights out of the UK for the weekend, for want of better words just got a requirement to be elsewhere at time of finish.

Been highlighted also somewhere along the way I seem to have too much interest in a competition that originally stated were apathetic and wished no part of. That remains largely intact, problem is every time you put on a news station, look in on a forum such as this or open a newspaper there's an omnipresent 'quality' to it where as much as you try, you can't quite escape it. Didn't expect Spain or the English to get as far as they have, you look away or try to divert attention but the stories as there.

I'd like the Italians to win the end game. Not going to apologize for it. There's no ambiguity there just let things fall as they may. No malice towards the English, you got a country to be proud of and after so many years and near misses deserve another shot at a tournament victory, only no fun for those of other nations caught up in it therefore a trip out to another country by Sunday seems just about imperative.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Got a jambo buddy who goes to Ibiza when Hibs are in a Cup Final, Saint. He’s been a few times in recent years. :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:18 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:30 pm
You should bite their hands off if £ 80 is a deal to be present at the Final game. Seriously, small price to pay for what's your biggest "football" game in 50 years and more.

Say this only once so it needs no repeat : First off I got no issue with England as a country, there's a whole lot of honor and prestige going back centuries that many nations can be envious of. Just don't like these tournaments coming round where the media and some fans beat themselves into a frenzy. All right if you're part of the nation you can kind of enjoy yourself but for the non-English among it, over time it's a pain in the as*. Have booked flights out of the UK for the weekend, for want of better words just got a requirement to be elsewhere at time of finish.

Been highlighted also somewhere along the way I seem to have too much interest in a competition that originally stated were apathetic and wished no part of. That remains largely intact, problem is every time you put on a news station, look in on a forum such as this or open a newspaper there's an omnipresent 'quality' to it where as much as you try, you can't quite escape it. Didn't expect Spain or the English to get as far as they have, you look away or try to divert attention but the stories as there.

I'd like the Italians to win the end game. Not going to apologize for it. There's no ambiguity there just let things fall as they may. No malice towards the English, you got a country to be proud of and after so many years and near misses deserve another shot at a tournament victory, only no fun for those of other nations caught up in it therefore a trip out to another country by Sunday seems just about imperative.
The cheapest were 95 Euro, then they go 295 Euro, 595 Euro and the top price of 945 Euro. For 945 Euro I would want club Wembley to myself. :lol:
Mind you seeing what some of these unofficial ticketing websites are trying to sell them for, 945 Euro seems a bargain.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Prediction.

ENGLAND. 3 vs ITALY. 1 (HT 2-0)

Last edited by goldandblack on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm
Well Done Shed, and well deserved, have a safe trip and a great time, .

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm

just a coincidence or is it a sign, :shock:

the last time we won a major trophy the Wolves Captain Ron Flowers was in he squad but never played.
This time the Wolves Captain Conor Coady is in the squad but not played a game,

its all in the tea leaves,

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:58 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm

the last time we won a major trophy the Wolves Captain Ron Flowers was in he squad but never played.

Also, if you want positive omens.

We won two of our group games and drew the third one 0-0.
We then proceeded through the knockout stages without conceding a goal until we reached the semi finals where we beat Portugal 2-1.

4-2 in the final anyone?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:23 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:58 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Also, if you want positive omens.

We won two of our group games and drew the third one 0-0.
We then proceeded through the knockout stages without conceding a goal until we reached the semi finals where we beat Portugal 2-1.

4-2 in the final anyone?
4-2 sounds good but cant see them scoring 2 goals, I'm sticking to 3-1 Todd,
I think the stars are aligned, they think its all over, it is now. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:14 pm

Are those lasers Wolfie? :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm
marko69 wrote:
Just had a minute to go back and look at that on youtube. :lol: Yes, nice wind up, Mike.

In that instance, dubai is 100% correct. English player wrestles Dane to the floor, ref sees it, (can’t be doing that type of thing) ….. freekick. All completely right and good refereeing without the need for VAR. And if VAR looked at it, then thats why it stood. No wrestling in the soccer, Mike.
I wasn't actually joking Marko, I remember saying to my partner in the passage of play just prior to the freekick award "how the hell is that not a free kick to us" or something like that, and sure enough they went on to win a free kick themselves and score. All irrelevant now as the better team over the 120 minutes won

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:14 pm
Are those lasers Wolfie? :D
No they were just the stars lining up 9. just a coincidence that one of those star in the North lined up with one in OZ and Wembley just happened to be the middle,

Funny enough one of the stars was named Jasper, :shock: unbelievably just another coincidence that,

I rest my case your honer.

the little dot in pic is earth.

This beam was pictured going through Earth on Wednesday 7th July 2021.Entering London UK, Exiting Sidney, Australia.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Got to assume “Sidney” is in intensive care after that one? Ouch!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm
marko69 wrote:

I wasn't actually joking Marko, I remember saying to my partner in the passage of play just prior to the freekick award "how the hell is that not a free kick to us" or something like that, and sure enough they went on to win a free kick themselves and score. All irrelevant now as the better team over the 120 minutes won
Ah right, seconds earlier in the build up? Take your word for that, Mike.
Refs are certainly being far more lenient in this comp and noticing play acting a bit more. Which can only be good for the future. Some of the stuff being waved on is definitely being stopped by incompetent SFA refs.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:12 pm
Got to assume “Sidney” is in intensive care after that one? Ouch!
he was last seen orbiting Jupiter, apparently he didn't look to impressed, now he knows how a boomerang feels, also he now goes by the name of Silvia :lol: :lol: :lol:

that place the daughter stayed in Sicily was Catania ,

Last edited by goldandblack on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 pm

It was Boris wot won it: Italian conspiracy theory claims England will triumph in Euros because of PM

It wasn’t Harry Kane or Raheem Sterling who helped England beat Denmark with a controversial penalty.

According to a conspiracy theory in Italy, the congratulations should instead go to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Some Italian fans claim that Uefa, the governing body of football in Europe, favours England and is helping them to win the Euro 2020 tournament, because Boris Johnson intervened to block the creation of the proposed Super League, which would have been a rival to UEFA’s Champions League.

The disputed extra time penalty against Denmark was proof that UEFA was on England’s side, said somewho took to social media to claim that England’s victory in the tournament was therefore a foregone conclusion.

Bless Em :astroll:

The theory was taken up by Gazzetta dello Sport, Italy’s most influential sports newspaper.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Oh right, did she stay in Sicily for a while? I thought maybe it was a holiday resort she was at? Catania is a city and actually where my great granny on my mums side is from.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:48 pm
Oh right, did she stay in Sicily for a while? I thought maybe it was a holiday resort she was at? Catania is a city and actually where my great granny on my mums side is from.
She used to go over there with this boyfriend and stay with some of his family, she loved it there,
I didn't like the fella or trust him, glad when she sussed him out and got rid,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes, sounds like a good move by your daughter. The great granny was dead before my own mother was even born (breast cancer) so no "Catanians" made it over. Not that I know of any!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 pm
Yes, sounds like a good move by your daughter. The great granny was dead before my own mother was even born (breast cancer) so no "Catanians" made it over. Not that I know of any!
yeah his Mum, Dad, and a couple of bro's were living over here, I didn't trust any of em, and in the end i was proven right,
that volcano erupted while she was there,it must have been in the late 90s ?
Teenage Daughters and boyfriends were never a great mix with Dads :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:55 pm
They're certainly not, Wolfie.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UprxM_aBWk

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:55 pm
They're certainly not, Wolfie.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UprxM_aBWk
Brilliant, :lol: :lol: :lol: luckily enough they are settled down now with decent fella's.
back on topic :wink:
This thread you started has really been a good bit of a laugh, plus a stage for the fool to get his usual trash over, Bless.
so everyone is happy