Alan Lee podcast slams Evans tenure

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Alan Lee podcast slams Evans tenure

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:28 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Alan Lee podcast slams Evans tenure

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 pm

What a,shameful and downright embarrassing read that is, I always said we were lucky to have Evans and in part that is true but bloody hell things are coming out that beggars belief, I'm sure there will be more too. The biggest thing for me is the way MM was hounded out of the club by Town fans, yes he was p*ss boring to watch but what he was going through behind the scenes which none of us knew was clearly unacceptable, when people like Alan Lee say it you take it as true, MM was a decent bloke and a good manager, it says to me our relegation was 100% self inflicted and 100% avoidable. Utter disgrace.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm

Real shameful and totally agree with you Mike on how badly MM was treated. Trouble is even now one mention of Mick McCarthy's name and likely to get loads of abuse on here.

Make no bones about it that man had total respect of all the players and staff he worked with.. Did Paul Lambert? or Paul Hurst? Okay its been and gone and no point in going on about what happened, but he did not deserve what happened even though he didn't help his corner towards the end.

It's not just the team which under Evan's watch deteriorated which is bad enough but the pitch, the stadium and training ground. Nice hedge and fence though.
Ok now looking forwards. I see the pitch will be upgraded at end of next season with undersoil heating and fibres. Lets hope have a team to grace the new pitch. We all hope hope things are on the up, not overly concerned as yet only signing two players but hoping to see more active posts on the websites over coming weeks for we just got to get out of League one and not by regelation but promotion

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:04 pm

You won't get abuse from me. I was sorry to see him go. But as you have both said it is very depressing to read what was going on behind the scenes.

I think we are well past this now. It can only get better.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:26 pm

It just confirms what many believed about ME's ownership.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:53 pm

If things were so bad - why didn’t we hear more of this before?

Can completely believe it was amateurish behind the scenes. It’s all well and good blaming just ME, but there’s plenty others who’ve picked up wages week in, week out who’ve kept their gobs shut. If things were so bad for Mick - he could have quit. He’d pick up work elsewhere. I never heard Mick say a bad word against ME.

ME didn’t have a clue how to run a football club, but I wouldn’t just blame him. Plenty more who were happy to pick up wages and taking us backwards.

Let’s hope we can actually start winning games and put this behind us.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Looking forward to listening to this. Alan Lee sounds like a very decent bloke, but remember he will have loyalty towards MM.

I never abused or encouraged abuse towards MM, and I never (99% sure on this) criticised his ability to manage a team and get a results, he is and was very good at this.

The main problem with MM is that he stood idly by as the club rotted, he stood up for ME again and again and appeased him enough to keep his pay checks rolling in. That cannot be argued and I'll shout that until the cows come home, it's objectively true. ME was the damage behind the club, but Mick never stood up and pointed fingers, he was happy to argue with the fans and criticise them, they didn't pay his wage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm

MM may not have said anything derogatory in public about ME but none of us know what was said in private and that is exactly the way it should be, you don't do it in the gaze of the public eye.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 am

Alan Lee has vindicated everything I have said on this forum over the last few season about Mick McCarthy.
I also think there are many on here who will need to have a think about the abuse that Paul Lambert has received also.
My one criticism of Lambert is that he should have had the experience and the contacts to not take the job in the first place. Probably thought he could do the job then quickly found out what he had walked into.

New owners, new manager. Hopefully owners have patience and I think its all upwards now for Town
Last edited by valleyroad on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:00 am

“ many in here “???
I can’t recall abuse on on here toward PL apart from the fact that he didn’t appear to know what his best team was after 3 years….. accumulated the biggest squad of no hopers in the Clubs history ( he had ample opportunity to offload many of these players after he took over but chose instead to add to the squad giving himself a “ who do I pick for this match”, headache).

That said ;

The managers were never supported by Evans to facilitate effective management, but as is clear from Alan Lee’s interviews , the whole Club / infrastructure was wrong and that was down to Evans . It was The Owners fault . But we could not get rid of him until HE decided to sell up . A point I was at pains to point out several times over the last 5-6 years .

And Ricco, you are spot in regards MM.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:21 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 am
Alan Lee has vindicated everything I have said on this forum over the last few season about Mick McCarthy.
I also think there are many on here who will need to have a think about the abuse that Paul Lambert has received also.
:D :D

I wondered how long it would take you jump on this.

Just one thing - it’s obvious this was a badly run club with an owner who didn’t know how to run a football club. But we’re fans and we can’t really influence the day to day running of the club. Are we supposed to just pay our money and applaud whatever goes on.? Why is it the fans getting slated for this? Mick was on a million quid a year here. If it was an impossible sh*t-show then he could have walked away at any time and he would also have got another job easy enough. We just want to watch good football.
I’m fed up with the fans getting slated for bad ownership and a club going backwards. For every fan who went over-the-top with personal abuse, there were plenty more quietly deciding not to go to games anymore. It’s always the noisy minority who tar the reputation of the majority.
As for Lambert - he was poor here and very lucky with COVID as he would have really received lots of abuse from the terraces. He did well here with his pay off. Don’t worry too much about Mick and Lambert - they’re both wealthy men and did well financially out of this club.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:25 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:21 am
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 am
:D :D

I wondered how long it would take you jump on this.

Just one thing - it’s obvious this was a badly run club with an owner who didn’t know how to run a football club. But we’re fans and we can’t really influence the day to day running of the club. Are we supposed to just pay our money and applaud whatever goes on.? Why is it the fans getting slated for this? Mick was on a million quid a year here. If it was an impossible sh*t-show then he could have walked away at any time and he would also have got another job easy enough. We just want to watch good football.
I’m fed up with the fans getting slated for bad ownership and a club going backwards. For every fan who went over-the-top with personal abuse, there were plenty more quietly deciding not to go to games anymore. It’s always the noisy minority who tar the reputation of the majority.
As for Lambert - he was poor here and very lucky with COVID as he would have really received lots of abuse from the terraces. He did well here with his pay off. Don’t worry too much about Mick and Lambert - they’re both wealthy men and did well financially out of this club.
Jump all over it, quality. Its the truth and has been for a number of years. Pretty damned easy to spot if truth be told.
PL and MM did not hang around for pay offs or salary !.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:51 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:00 am
“ many in here “???
I can’t recall abuse on on here toward PL apart from the fact that he didn’t appear to know what his best team was after 3 years….. accumulated the biggest squad of no hopers in the Clubs history ( he had ample opportunity to offload many of these players after he took over but chose instead to add to the squad giving himself a “ who do I pick for this match”, headache).

That said ;

The managers were never supported by Evans to facilitate effective management, but as is clear from Alan Lee’s interviews , the whole Club / infrastructure was wrong and that was down to Evans . It was The Owners fault . But we could not get rid of him until HE decided to sell up . A point I was at pains to point out several times over the last 5-6 years .

And Ricco, you are spot in regards MM.
No he isn't, he's a mile out. Anyway nice to see the truth out.
Town now have a proven manager in Cook who IMO is a good appointment and should do the job if owners are patient. Personally think he should have done a bit better with what he inherited but I'm pretty confident he will do the job. Looks to be recruiting well atm, which is key.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Well I guess we will just have to differ on that one VR.

Time to move on and hopefully Paul Cook and The Three Lions can get this Club back on track .

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:55 pm
Well I guess we will just have to differ on that one VR.

Time to move on and hopefully Paul Cook and The Three Lions can get this Club back on track .
Agree onward and upwards.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:21 pm

:D 👍