Dobra promoted to 1st team training …..

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Dobra promoted to 1st team training …..

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Ricco

Re: Dobra promoted to 1st team training …..

Post by Ricco » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Good stuff, I can understand Jackson and Bishop being in there if they're not to Cook's liking, but what the hell is Downes doing in the U23 unless a transfer is imminent.

Is that the case? I've not been reading anything :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:22 pm

The fact that Downes is not in that 1st team training list says volumes as regards his attitude in my view. He hasn’t wanted to be at this Club since Palace came calling. Frankly He can f*ck off.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:03 pm

That's great news. I'm sure Dobra proved he's willing and able to play for the shirt. As far as Downes is concerned, it's probably time for him to move on. You can't really blame him at this point.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:22 pm
The fact that Downes is not in that 1st team training list says volumes as regards his attitude in my view. He hasn’t wanted to be at this Club since Palace came calling. Frankly He can f*ck off.
I'll differ on that note, Hallam. I hope he too could be promoted to the first team. Best player at the club by a country mile with great vision. A fully fit Downes is a huge building piece in the quest for promotion. Him leaving wouldn't be a positive in any way whatsoever other than some dough.

Re Dobra. Anyone seen anywhere near enough of him to have a concrete opinion?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm

I think the club have planned around Downes leaving. Evans and Harper look ear-marked for those two deep midfielder roles. Where does that leave Downes?
I think it’s the correct approach. If there’s speculation about Downes leaving - why wait till the end of the transfer window if he leaves and then we’re scrabbling around trying to find a replacement. He wants to go. I think we’re being decisive by planning for him not to stay. At least we know the lads incoming want to be here.
At least we’re not in “will he, won’t he” territory.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Ah right, I haven’t read much since the season ended…….. has he actually said he wants away? Oh well, 🤷‍♂️, he’s better away.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:07 pm

No problem with you disagreeing marko :D

2 weeks ago I’d probably have agreed with you re Downes being best player at the Club. But such are the quality of our signings now, he’d have competition to hold down a first team shirt now IMO.

He can ( and will) leave and we won’t miss him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:39 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:01 pm
Ah right, I haven’t read much since the season ended…….. has he actually said he wants away? Oh well, 🤷‍♂️, he’s better away.
TBH Marko, I don’t think he actually has come out to say he’s leaving. But it’s been assumed he wants to go and there’s interest from Championship sides. I don’t think he’d be in the 23’s if he wants to stay. He’s a good player and one who’d be an asset here. Put in a transfer request the start of last season and wasn’t the same last year in an injury-hit season.

I just think if there’s uncertainty about his future and commitment and he’s got one foot out of the door, then it’s best we plan around him and speed up the process by nudging him out as soon as possible. Best for all parties. I think Evans and Harper are pencilled in for those deep midfielder roles so he could struggle to get in the team if still here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am

If he does go we better get top dollar for him !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am
If he does go we better get top dollar for him !!!
If he goes to Barnsley then I doubt it will be top dollar.

Better player than Dozzell, but I’m not sure we’ll get much more than what Dozzell went for. I think palace were offering 1.5 million a year ago and he’s since gone backwards (albeit through injury and being in a sh*t team) and he’s run down another year on his contract.
Just hope this isn’t a long drawn-out affair.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 am

Aren’t we holding out fur something like £3m for him ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 am
Aren’t we holding out fur something like £3m for him ?
Wasn’t that last summer? We want 3 or 4 million? Different owner, different manager now and Downes has one year less on his contract and he didn’t pull up too many trees last season. He was hot property then, but not so much now. I can’t see we’re holding out for 3 million on a L1 midfielder- especially one that doesn’t score or provide assists. I think that 3 million was a ‘go f*ck yourself’ figure to put off Palace.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:15 pm

Ha ha ….yes I see your reasoning there….can see why it pissed off Downes too. But there’s no real obvious interest in him right now is there?