Terry Butcher

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Terry Butcher

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:02 pm

TWTD understands Blues legend Terry Butcher will no longer be working with Town’s U23s in the season ahead.

The former Town and England captain rejoined the club in February 2020 coaching in the academy.

Last season, the 62-year-old worked alongside U23s manager Kieron Dyer coaching the development squad, who finished second in Professional Development League Two South.

However, we understand the former centre-half has been told there is no role for him on the coaching staff in 2021/22.

Dyer will be continuing in his position with Bryan Klug, who has been head of player and coaching development at the academy for the last few seasons, assisting him.

Lee O’Neill looks set to continue in his role as academy manager having held that job in addition to the general manager of football operations position he took on in December 2018.

Still making changes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Terry Butcher

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Holy sh*t 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Thought he’d died as well.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:24 pm

That was my first thought on opening the page too :D :D

Would be interesting to know more about this but unlikely that we will get to.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm

I actually think there could be more to this story, I was in kitchen yesterday evening sorting dinner and my partner called me from the lounge, she had frozen the TV and said come and look at Terry Butcher, he looked so much older and not particularly well, I'm wondering if there is another issue other than not required at PR anymore.

Aside from that I am glad we are getting away from this "favours for the old boys" mentality, it hasn't worked in the past and probably never will, in fact he can take Dyer with him tbh, no room for sentiment.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Mike, you think it was favours for the old boys that brought Butcher to the club? I had the impression that Lambert at the time was trying to inspire the current and future crop of players by surrounding them with hero role models from the clubs history. Maybe this is the point, that now the team is completely replaced by PC there is no need for this approach and better to fill these positions with more technically capable people.

Not sure where Dyer fits in here but we've read that he is pretty well respected by PC. Maybe he isn't just an old boy but an improving youth coach also?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:23 pm

Well they sure as hell inspired the team lmao, inspired them to be about the worst ITFC team in living memory. Yes I do think Lambert had them here as old boys rather than respected coaches etc. Dyer just doesn't it for me I'm afraid, most of the old regime has been swept away by this new broom and frankly I am loving it, let's go the whole hog and not miss a few areas.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:08 am

Yep lets start by taking down any past pictures of all our famous teams and past players on the clubs walls and shops, lets get rid of Johnny Wark who entertains and greets guests on matchdays, lets cancel all Ipswich town golf days where past players play in guest teams twice a year, lets stop past players visiting sick fans in hospital, In Care homes, etc.

Our past players have been the spine backbone of Ipswich Town FC for years, and are the fans favourite heroes who bought glory and honour to our Town and Suffolk and there must always be a place for them in and around the club, and this goes for all future stars we bring through, there must always be a place for them at the club and in our history.

And as for our past 3 seasons of absolute F*****G garbage football, I put this down to the past Managers and the owner, we are starting a new beginning with new owners and Manager and staff, but our past heroes who are still alive MUST be shown respect for all they did for our club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 am

That's ridiculous Ash, its nothing to do with pictures of our greats from the past or in fact one or Two working on the corporate hospitality side of the club, its to do with people being shoe horned into positions they aren't cut out to do and is part of why we are where we are.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:06 am

To be fair though on my understanding Kieron Dyer isn't doing that badly as a coach.

What we know of Paul Cook he wouldn't keep Dyer on as the under 23-team coach just because he's an ex Ipswich Town player.

If he's good enough then totally fine, if he's not then get shot of

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:21 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:08 am
Yep lets start by taking down any past pictures of all our famous teams and past players on the clubs walls and shops, lets get rid of Johnny Wark who entertains and greets guests on matchdays, lets cancel all Ipswich town golf days where past players play in guest teams twice a year, lets stop past players visiting sick fans in hospital, In Care homes, etc.

Our past players have been the spine backbone of Ipswich Town FC for years, and are the fans favourite heroes who bought glory and honour to our Town and Suffolk and there must always be a place for them in and around the club, and this goes for all future stars we bring through, there must always be a place for them at the club and in our history.

And as for our past 3 seasons of absolute F*****G garbage football, I put this down to the past Managers and the owner, we are starting a new beginning with new owners and Manager and staff, but our past heroes who are still alive MUST be shown respect for all they did for our club.
Garbage "football" has been prevalent here from the 2005 - 06 season onwards, not just last three years. Sure there's been a few highlights along the way but for the most part unmitigated crap and non-adventure. Cook in and the new owners looks to be a new horizon but only time will tell.

Thought something had happened to Butcher also when catching thread title, relieved to see all alive and well.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 am
That's ridiculous Ash, its nothing to do with pictures of our greats from the past or in fact one or Two working on the corporate hospitality side of the club, its to do with people being shoe horned into positions they aren't cut out to do and is part of why we are where we are.
I know BM its just me showing I'm Back :shock: and your right about the ones who aint cut out for certain managerial positions, But they still have my full respect for what they have done for this club.
And if they don't try they'll never know if they could or couldn't do that job.
Some are leaders and the rest followers :D