Portman Road stadium

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Portman Road stadium

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:32 am

Along with the major overhaul of the team, it is good to see plans are afoot for stadium improvements.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ad-8154930

I have to say that it does sadden me how rundown the place appears to be when reading this article. I guess i have been blind to a lot of the issues, possibly because i tend to go in our newest (SBR) stand, in itself almost 20 years old now. For me, the general view from there still impresses me! That is not to say there are features which could bring the stadium into the 21st century, such as big screens.

Exciting times ahead in all aspects?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24079
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:24 am

Its a disgrace tbh and shame on all those who have let it happen over the years, have any of them truly cared about the club ? Makes me wonder. Thank god for the new owners, Ashton, Cook and Co.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by saint jude » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm

I don't attend nowhere near as should mainly due to travel issues, many will reside within close proximity of the stadium but point being sometimes you feel a move away from Portman Road may benefit the team and club name. Where would they build it, people who live there can have a better understanding but if that's not viable - and somehow you realize it'll never go ahead - all they can do it redevelop the ground and bring it into 21st Century standards.

Then you got the money issue, until recently the club name was heavily in debt and we didn't seem to have a pot to p*ss in. New owners or not it's hard for some to envisage a magic wand to rectify all the wrongs from before and start as new. One factor is where we're at, in the Third League of the 'football' structure and outside the elite for now near 20 years. Last I looked we had some 30,000 to accommodate but how often was that figure reached even when part of the EPL.

Not only that our home form was lousy past season and again before it. Portman Road you'd imagine to be a strong venue where opposition teams didn't like to visit and were made to fight hard to take anything away. That aspect has since changed in (what you could call) recent time.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Ricco » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:19 pm

The new stands were not complete while the club was in the Prem SJ and it would sell out every week if we were there again I'm sure, it wasn't far off when the club were doing well in the Championship.

I've never for a second thought a move away from PR could benefit the club. It has been a bit neglected by the prat Evans, but the stadium is hardly falling down.

I don't really want to paraphrase, but these new owners are here for the investment potential of the club, they're not planning to run the club on a league 1 budget like that prat Evans, they see that they need to invest and lose money in the short term to take the club up a division or two to realise a return on their investment.

They're not magic wand waving at the stadium out of altruism, they're saying that they see it as an important part of the club, that improving the stadium will bring in more fans, will encourage fans to spend more at games and will improve happiness levels and therefore atmosphere on matchdays and around the club in general, get a bit of pride and positivity back.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:35 pm

They have unveiled a new Mural along the back of the Cobbold Stand. Looks pretty cool. Saw it being put up yesterday when I went to buy my Ticket for Saturday's Friendly.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 pm

lucy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:35 pm
They have unveiled a new Mural along the back of the Cobbold Stand. Looks pretty cool. Saw it being put up yesterday when I went to buy my Ticket for Saturday's Friendly.
Well that looks a huge improvement I must say Lucy

Really is shocking how the previous owner let the stadium degrade

hallamblue
Posts: 26490
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm

It’s criminal really isn’t it . The stadium has deteriorated so much under Evans ownership. I still can’t believe we have quality new owners!

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm

It looks very appealing and colourful. I love how they have done it in date order from the Early Years up until the 2000's era.
Last edited by lucy on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:09 pm

Hopefully they can now make the rest of the Ground look nice too.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 pm

Yes Hallam it is criminal

There's so much charm about Portman road, yes the Cobbold stand especially needs replacing in time.

Been to a few more modern stadiums if using right word but honestly they haven't the charm that our home has, in my opinion of course

Just nice seeing the stadium at last having some loving and tender care..

Now the team is in stage of rebuilding which must of course be top priority.
Not sure why Bristol City fans fell out with Mark Ashton, or the vocal ones have. He seems so far to be doing a top grade job for us, Long may that continue with of course the board and owners along with coaching and manger staff

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by saint jude » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Norwich put up a mural for Farke some weeks back, can only hope ours is of better quality and more meaningful.

Haven't seen it as yet but guess all you need do is take in a of view of TWTD or East Anglian Daily Times, they'll surely have something presented. Paul Mariner maybe, it would fit in with the recent passing. Shall check it out, see what we've come up with.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 pm
Norwich put up a mural for Farke some weeks back, can only hope ours is of better quality and more meaningful.

Haven't seen it as yet but guess all you need do is take in a of view of TWTD or East Anglian Daily Times, they'll surely have something presented. Paul Mariner maybe, it would fit in with the recent passing. Shall check it out, see what we've come up with.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ed-8176102

I heard Norwich wanted to do the same sort of thing for their history. Apparently the only suitable window was the caretaker's small toilet window, but they decided it wasn't in a prominent enough place :wink:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19840
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm

^^ :lol: ^^

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am
saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 pm
Norwich put up a mural for Farke some weeks back, can only hope ours is of better quality and more meaningful.

Haven't seen it as yet but guess all you need do is take in a of view of TWTD or East Anglian Daily Times, they'll surely have something presented. Paul Mariner maybe, it would fit in with the recent passing. Shall check it out, see what we've come up with.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ed-8176102

I heard Norwich wanted to do the same sort of thing for their history. Apparently the only suitable window was the caretaker's small toilet window, but they decided it wasn't in a prominent enough place :wink:
Quite appropriate place I would of thought though :D :) :D

Had me laughing Mark :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 26490
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm

lucy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm
It looks very appealing and colourful. I love how they have done it in date order from the Early Years up until the 2000's era.
It’s been done as a “ time line” Lucy . So it will follow ITFC landmarks achievements from the moment we were formed as a club…good eh ! 👍

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 4159
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm
It’s criminal really isn’t it . The stadium has deteriorated so much under Evans ownership. I still can’t believe we have quality new owners!
Can you have a word with the new owners Hallam and get us away fans back behind the goal, please,

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:49 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm
lucy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm
It looks very appealing and colourful. I love how they have done it in date order from the Early Years up until the 2000's era.
It’s been done as a “ time line” Lucy . So it will follow ITFC landmarks achievements from the moment we were formed as a club…good eh ! 👍
It's brilliant. Will be taking more Pictures today.

tangfastic
Posts: 3795
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by tangfastic » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 am

Not related to the thread, but a nice piece about Escape to Victory and the Town players. Fortieth anniversary of the screening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-57840345

Nice bit of history involving our players. Remember getting excited watching our players rubbing shoulders with movie stars.

I think Laurie Sivell is now a fishmonger in Beccles.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:40 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 am
Not related to the thread, but a nice piece about Escape to Victory and the Town players. Fortieth anniversary of the screening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-57840345

Nice bit of history involving our players. Remember getting excited watching our players rubbing shoulders with movie stars.

I think Laurie Sivell is now a fishmonger in Beccles.
I think this warrants a thread of its own Tang! What a fantastic read, especially The Beat winning $100 by easily beating Sylvester Stallone in an arm wrestle.

Think this is a part of Ipswich Town history that should be rightly regaled in, from a time when we had a pretty phenomenal team.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:18 pm

I have taken Pictures of the Mural but unsure if/how I can post onto here for everyone to see??

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by Ricco » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:18 pm
I have taken Pictures of the Mural but unsure if/how I can post onto here for everyone to see??
Something like this Lucy...

https://imgbb.com/

Then you can get an image address that you can post on here between... (img] [/img) but replace the ( ) brackets with [ ]

That might make sense? The video of it all was great, but I was a bit disappointed it didn't show the whole thing and the difference its made.
Last edited by Ricco on Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Everyone was crowding outside the Stand taking Pictures. It was very Impressive.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 5715
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 am

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:50 pm

I will have a Play around and see if I can get Pictures uploaded

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Portman Road stadium

Post by saint jude » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:24 am

f**king hell that was really epic. Took in a video of the work done and showed the designs /illustrations starting back from Ted Phillips all through to the 2000's. Some real flair and imagination gone into that, we don't have the biggest honors list in World Football but all the same there was a certain pride there. Whoever designed or orchestrated the idea deserves merit for sure.

I'd like to see a Norwich one. Would be good for a laugh, problem is can't imagine what material - or available past achievement - they'd use to create something.

Post Reply