Town Captain 2021/22

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Town Captain 2021/22

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 pm

Given our current assembled squad who would you give the Captains armband too ?

lucy

Re: Town Captain 2021/22

Post by lucy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:48 pm

Personally I feel like one of the Newbies should get it. I don't feel like any of the Old Players would be up to the Job. I can see Lee Evans or Wes Burns possibly getting it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 pm

I think it will be Lee Evans

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:07 am

Interesting that this hasn't been announced yet. I imagine that either Cook is watching the players through the friendlies to see who fits the job, or maybe he already decided but that player isn't yet on the payroll.

I don't have any opinion to be honest other than I'm confident it won't be one of the old guard.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am

It'll be Evans, unless one of the new arrivals comes in as a stronger candidate (perhaps a new experienced CB).

Not sure there is much more than that on this one.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm

Probably be Drogba :lol: :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 pm

Chambers was an ideal fit. Served here for best part of a decade, had the experience and knowledge of club set-up and facilities.

We don't have anyone on board right now with that amount of service here, believe whoever is selected should be of an age greater than most around him. Someone to set an example and that younger names can learn from. You don't give out supervisory roles to those without some experience or haven't learned to be part of a team.

Kenlock is one of the names that has now been with us longest, maybe he could take on responsibility. Bishop would have been another to consider with a few years of service but believe he moved on some months back. Woolfenden stands out for some reason, could picture him taking duties. Why don't the club put out a vote to the fans to pick who they want to lead us next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:24 pm

Kenlock? :shock: :shock:

He's earmarked for the knackers yard

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 pm
Chambers was an ideal fit. Served here for best part of a decade, had the experience and knowledge of club set-up and facilities.

We don't have anyone on board right now with that amount of service here, believe whoever is selected should be of an age greater than most around him. Someone to set an example and that younger names can learn from. You don't give out supervisory roles to those without some experience or haven't learned to be part of a team.

Kenlock is one of the names that has now been with us longest, maybe he could take on responsibility. Bishop would have been another to consider with a few years of service but believe he moved on some months back. Woolfenden stands out for some reason, could picture him taking duties. Why don't the club put out a vote to the fans to pick who they want to lead us next season.
These players you mentioned are 25 or below. None of them have shown any leadership on the pitch. They would struggle to get in our team.

If the only reason to pick a captain is because they’ve been around for a long time, then I’d say thats mad. In fact, I’d say the complete opposite - anyone who’s been around our club for so long has contributed to our demise and has some baggage because of it. Good reason for a fresh start elsewhere and not to be given the armband.
Bring a new captain in - change the atmosphere and culture for the better. For now it’s Evans, but like to see a CB come in who would compete for the captaincy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 am

Cook Yet to Appoint a Captain
Friday, 6th Aug 2021 11:12

Town boss Paul Cook says he’s yet to appoint a full-time captain for the season ahead and hints that the man who will wear the armband may not yet be at Portman Road.

ADVERTISING

Lee Evans has worn the armband in pre-season and seems set to skipper against Morecambe, while Toto Nsiala and Janoi Donacien captained in the games that the Welshman missed with his groin injury.

Asked whether he’d appointed a permanent captain to succeed Luke Chambers who was released in May, Cook said: “No, not at the minute. I think experience is probably one of the things the squad is just lacking a little bit, leadership, if you like. So we are in the market.

“[CEO] Mark Ashton is working ever so hard every day to bring the right character and the right player into the club. That’s still an active market that we’re in.

“Lee Evans is captaining the side and Lee’s a model pro, and he’s a good lad. There’s no problem with Lee Evans captaining the club.

“I think Toto Nsiala has been captain, Janoi Donacien has been captain and again good lads, good role models and conduct themselves properly, so the captaincy is something we’re still looking at.

“I think Lee Evans will be captain tomorrow, Lee Evans can carry on being captain for me, but when we go on the pitch, we need 11 captains, we need substitutes who are captains.

“We have one voice, the voice of our supporters being the strongest one and the encouragement they can put from the terrace on to the pitch tomorrow.”

Might the captain not yet be here? “Could even be here by tomorrow, you never know, we keep you guys busy!”
Gonna be the experienced CB we crave with any luck, and soon by the looks of it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:54 pm

I don’t think our new Captain is even at the Club yet , but I bet he’s a CB !