Season Opener - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get off to a Good start???

Ipswich Win
74%
Morecambe Win
4%
Draw
22%

Total votes: 23

lucy

Re: Season Opener - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:27 pm

The Ref is F******* Abysmal as usual.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Great Goal though

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Lovely goal it was coming playing some good football now.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Lovely goal it was coming playing some good football now.

So good I posted twice ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 pm

What a well worked goal that was, nice footie boys. ๐Ÿ‘

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:37 pm

FFS.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:38 pm

Unbelievable

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:38 pm

WTAF was that. We have played far better Football this 2nd half.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 pm

lucy wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:38 pm
WTAF was that. We have played far better Football this 2nd half.
Do you know what, i sometimes (over the last few seasons especially) think that Portman Road is cursed!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:52 pm

I think James Norwood just spoke for the Whole Stadium giving the Ref a mouthful. I've honestly never seen a more 1 sided Referee in my Life. Every time we so much as go in for a Tackle he blows up. Morecambe Players have on several occasions lunged in on Ipswich Players and nothing.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 pm

TFFT 2-2
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Yes Get in we deserved that after this shocking display from the Referee

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm

21037 and the team do this. Unbelievable typical Ipswich all talk no action. Not shocked to be honest was not taken in by the hype.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:02 pm

Tinytown wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm
21037 and the team do this. Unbelievable typical Ipswich all talk no action. Not shocked to be honest was not taken in by the hype.
Seriously? Look, i have made comments today which could be perceived by some as bordering negative.
Yes we have conceded 2 goals to Morecambe, but we are and will be a work in progress for a while - patience is key!.
Let's wait and see what those who have seen the game say first!
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:03 pm

Got a draw, with a new team which has been together for a few weeks . What do you really expect.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:03 pm

Iโ€™m not too disheartened to be honest because thereโ€™s no way weโ€™d have come back like that so late in the game last season. The old guard would have given up long before the final whistle.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:05 pm

A late goal saving a point is the minimum we deserved from this game. I'm not perturbed in the slightest by the result. This is a new team and it will take quite a few games for it to mesh.

There was some lovely football and, once we get our defence sorted, I confidently expect us to be a real force this season. I predict playoffs at a minimum! Ever the optimist.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:06 pm

We played well at times the future is good just need to stop giving goals away I'm not disappointed.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:09 pm

BlueBalls wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:08 pm
Looking forward to the highlights online. Definitely need time to settle in.

What does 21037 mean?
The attendance.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Glad to hear Nors got an assist and delighted for Bonne. Hero in the making. Satisfied with that. Need central defence sorted and team to get to know each other then we will be unstoppable๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Looking forward to Mike's report.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:14 pm

Delighted for Bonne too and I like the sounds of that match and the look of the stats, it's encouraging.

Of course a win would be desirable against Morecombe, but two goals and a performance is great. I've been worried about goals coming from the new team, but I guess it's actually the defence that can take longer to sort out and get synchronised, especially as we seem to be a senior CB or two short.

Good signs I think.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:15 pm

patthegimp wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:10 pm
Glad to hear Nors got an assist and delighted for Bonne. Hero in the making. Satisfied with that. Need central defence sorted and team to get to know each other then we will be unstoppable๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Looking forward to Mike's report.
Yes, think that is a good assessment. Delighted for Bonne too and goes to show that we have very healthy competition and options up front.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Again, just watching it on ticker on Fotmob, but it seemed there was a lot better passing and aggressive play than we have seen the past couple of years. The second half, Town was all over them. Seems a lot to build on after just one game. Glad we got the point, upwards and onwards.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:54 pm

AzzurroMark wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:15 pm
patthegimp wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:10 pm
Yes, think that is a good assessment. Delighted for Bonne too and goes to show that we have very healthy competition and options up front.
Good to read that it was ALL ITFC for most of the game especially second half. That is a big positive for a new team in their first competitive match, regardless of opposition.

Also very happy for MacBonne as he was getting increasingly p1$$ed off in the Colchester game with both lack of supply and horrendously over"cooked" supply, ......, good to hear he hit the net in the competitive opener. Looking forward to both report and some highlights.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Loads to be positive about. We pass well (sone great cross field passes) and look dangerous in attack with fast action from the wings!! Two bad mistakes let in two goals. Things will improve. I have high hopes after this in such a short timeframe. We were the better team throughout. Ref was absolutely dreadful - worst I can remember for a long long time (and we have had our share of bad ones!). Harper looks to have several more gears and when he passes or accelerates can be sublime. Evans a great skipper/vice skipper, KVY looking sharper and burns solid and holds ball up well.

Atmosphere was great and positive throughout. No idea what has happened to the PA system though as it used to be too loud but now you can't hear a word said!

Loved being back - covid is dead as far as football fans are concerned from the singing at the bars pre game. I LOVED it and am glad we didn't lose. Happy with a point - we are in first gear with plenty to come. Onwards we go - COYB's

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:44 pm

My thoughts on Penney who I think most would think he's not one of our better new players, his first touch is not great and I'm not sure about his defending at times but he certainly likes to get forward and puts in a shift, he's only 23 years and in time could be a useful player.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Blue Wilf wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 pm
No idea what has happened to the PA system though as it used to be too loud but now you can't hear a word said!
This from the club, Wilf:

"Apologies to all fans for the PA system. But some b*stard decided to put Ed Sheeran songs on. We turned it the fk down. Again, apologies."

Seems genuine, Wilf.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Pleasantly surprised with some of the new signings
Thought we played the better football and deserved the point at least.
We need to get more cover at the back

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That you, Deeko-Boy?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 pm

On the face of it it looks like a disappointing day but while the result wasn't what we all wanted or expected I think there were plenty of positives out there today.

I really like the look of Evans and Harper (our best player today), they are going to be some pairing at this level, Pigott also impressed me, as did Burns. I think we started very tentatively with lots of nerves out there from the likes of Penney, Woolfenden, Fraser etc but gradually grew into the game.

The Two goals we conceded were terrible and for me Two c*ck ups from Woolfenden, the second was just criminal and suicide, I've said for some time now he is crap, always has been and always will be, if we stick with him we'll achieve nothing this season.

At the time of their second goal we were in control and looking like winners all day long but Woolfy put paid to that. I thought we looked bright second half and stepped it up, we hit the post, the keeper made a decent save and generally had them on the back foot. It was noticeable that Chaplin played Central first half and wasn't in it, after the break he was more wide and showed his class with some neat touches.

The only real piece of true class in the game saw us score a cracker and that move alone is a sign of things to come, we also didn't let heads drop and thoroughly deserved the equaliser which Bonne took with aplomb when under pressure.

Its a point on the board but we will get so much better, the defence needs strengthening and with Edmundson and A.N.Other to come in that will happen, its a blow to lose Toto but Donacien did very well when coming on at CB, don't write him off.

The ref was disgusting tbh and very biased, I hope that's not a sign of things to come, the atmosphere was superb, I have to say I am really pleased with the post match comments from the majority of Town fans, those with a brain see the bigger picture, we'll always have the odd idiot who comes up with a stupid comment, they've waited with baited breath for the opportunity, they are either scummers or morons or both.

We're up and running, COYB'S.