Season Opener - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get off to a Good start???

Ipswich Win
74%
Morecambe Win
4%
Draw
22%

Total votes: 23

ashfordblue

Re: Season Opener - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Good report BM glad you enjoyed the new setup, it sure looks very promising this season, and I think you will find out the Cookie will bring in another CB pretty dam quick as he wont stand for failure from a player who keeps making big mistakes like Wolfie has for ages, I'm very sad for the lad as I had high hopes of him a few seasons ago, PC might stick with him to loan him out elsewhere, when he played at Swindon he was raw but very good in defence.

Anyway I'm sure we will see at least another 3 players coming in this window, and a few going out, :D 21'000 is a cracking gate and if we keep the pressure up it will go back to the regular 25'000 to 30'000 gates.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:12 pm
Good report BM glad you enjoyed the new setup, it sure looks very promising this season, and I think you will find out the Cookie will bring in another CB pretty dam quick as he wont stand for failure from a player who keeps making big mistakes like Wolfie has for ages, I'm very sad for the lad as I had high hopes of him a few seasons ago, PC might stick with him to loan him out elsewhere, when he played at Swindon he was raw but very good in defence.

Anyway I'm sure we will see at least another 3 players coming in this window, and a few going out, :D 21'000 is a cracking gate and if we keep the pressure up it will go back to the regular 25'000 to 30'000 gates.
Someone has spiked my Budweiser........, or is this a non-irate, non F************KIN Ash post?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:21 pm

It’s no surprise Wolfie was at fault for both goals, he’s always been a liability. We scored two goals, that’s an improvement. A few people already moaning, oh dear. COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:48 pm

Like Mike said , they’re either scummers or morons. Personally, I think they are one and the same as regards traits !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Frustrating not to win particularly on opening day for a season but at least we got a point from it near the very end. Some bizarre comments in the above regarding disillusionment we didn't rack up a runaway victory, some people need to get certain perspective. The opposition were never going to roll over for us and it will take time for all new players to adapt to a new club setting and fulfil expectation.

Can't quite lend oneself to castigate the pissers and moaners, have done enough of it myself however even the more pessimistic will realize we now have a much improved squad and manager and ownership prepared to try and attempt things done. Would have been great to start with three points but kind of baby steps needed here for the immediate time ahead. Over twenty thousand attendance if correct signifies a willingness to believe and those with expectation something can really be achieved one year from now.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:19 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Someone has spiked my Budweiser........, or is this a non-irate, non F************KIN Ash post?
Now hang on a cotton picking minute there Marco, I got told to tone it down otherwise it was a banning :cry: besides I have every reason not to swear at the moment Ipswich had a well earned draw that should have been a victory parade, :x apart from that tosser of a F*****G ref today :lol: , and the JAGS won and are top of the SPL championship :D , can it last I ask myself :roll: I'm absolutely sure PC will bring in a couple of defensive CB's to stop the leaking defence asap COYB

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 pm

I really enjoyed the Paul Cook post match interview in particular his comment about “the game becoming a bit of a circus with the referee losing control” . A very honest summary of the game with great understanding of what needs to be done, a brilliant communicator and motivator. Cookie I luv ya pal, you’ll do for me.

It’s far too early to put money on it but Paul Cook could just be our best Manager since Bobby Robson and we’ve had a few decent ones since then, albeit only very few. Now that should start a decent debate.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 pm
I really enjoyed the Paul Cook post match interview in particular his comment about “the game becoming a bit of a circus with the referee losing control”.
lucy wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:27 pm
The Ref is F******* Abysmal as usual.
True Charnwood, saw that......., and I like how Lucy informed us all of the crapness of the referee 27 minutes into the game. Superb stuff.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 am

Totos injury:

Saw this on twtd just now….. from the horse mouth so to speak….

“Had an opportunity to speak with Toto after the match. Limping heavily, hamstring injury, scan on Monday. He hopes he will only be out for just 2-3 weeks, I personally think that is overly optimistic but I am no expert and he apparently recovers quickly from injury! He was amazed by the reception the team got from the fans today. He is impressed by the quality of players brought in. I got the impression that he is concerned that whilst his injury will obviously keep him out of the team in the short term the recent signings and those that may yet be made may keep him out long term too. Only time will tell!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:20 am

We need to get Edmundson fit and we need to sign another CB pretty damn quick cus without Toto and relying on car crash Woolfenden we will ship goals, personally I though Donacien looked far more solid than Woolfy, I would also be promoting Elkan Baggott to the first team squad too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:27 am

Evans and Harper standouts for me. Have to keep them fit. Loads of options up front so it’s a case of them fighting for those places.
An experienced CB even more critical now with Toto’s injury and the fact that Woolfy continues to switch off and can’t make good decisions. I’m getting sick and tired of hearing about how our academy players just need experienced players around them. Fair enough to a certain extent, but in a frenetic game there’s times when you can’t wait for advice or have somebody to babysit you. They need to earn a right to be in the team and stay there.

Can’t get around it - home draw with Morecambe spoilt the party atmosphere, but I enjoyed the intent of getting forward at pace and getting our wide men on the ball. Evans was spraying some great balls out wide. Feel when this team gets to know each other we’ll be all right.

Far from perfect result, but head and shoulders above the type of dull, slow football that Lambert dished up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:20 am
We need to get Edmundson fit and we need to sign another CB pretty damn quick cus without Toto and relying on car crash Woolfenden we will ship goals, personally I though Donacien looked far more solid than Woolfy, I would also be promoting Elkan Baggott to the first team squad too.
Donacien’s had a strange career with us. I wondered if he would move on as he doesn’t appear to be the type of full-back that Cook wants. But he rarely lets us down and his versatility proved handy yesterday. I think Baggott needs a loan out. If we bring him in then he’s another who’ll need time to gain experience and I’d prefer he makes his mistakes elsewhere and learns from them at another club. Edmundson was bought to be a first team regular and you’d think he will partner a new CB.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 am

No way would we have come back for the draw last season or past two or three seasons being honest

I cannot remember one save our keeper had to make, best thing Woolfenden did was win us a corner at the end.

Cannot believe how poor the referee was, was so petty. Ball had to be on the single grade of grass for a freekick, he was marking the spot for the freekick some 50+ meters out. No idea how he could be fooled by Morecambe's Cooney I believe on his diving. He dived like a swan to get Norwood booked. Honestly he was pitiful and the way Morecambe played for time and the ref just let them rule the play.

Their two goals was like watching Keystone Kops, the first was like Moses splitting the red sea for their player to run on. Even then he went wide yet still scored, though he taken it well but we should of been blocked him off. The second was just calamity Jane like with poor Woolfy getting caught.

Our goals were Superb, both of them. If a top Premiership team scored the first would see Match of The Day pundits purring over it. The second was just what we needed for we were just passing the ball around going nowhere until Hladky launched it and Norwood's Superb flick on with his head for well taking goal by Bonne. First thought possibly offside but breathed sigh of relief seeing no flag go up

Many, many more positives than negatives and we should really be happy with that performance other than two huge c*ck ups. For me we can only get better and so good to see the crowed and hear the noise

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:12 am

Just saw video highlights. Both goals superbly taken though I think Bonne probably was off side so can forgive the ref for the other aspects of his game😁😁
Toto/Donacien as back up Wolfy gone methinks. Bring on the new CB and Edmundson

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:29 am

The number 21 who was out of shot was playing Bonne onside.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks Mike. Wasn't clear on video as you say. Ref still in my bad books then😁😁
Keep going with the reports please. Absolutely invaluable. Feels like waiting for the next copy of the Beano when I was a kid

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:20 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:36 pm
Thanks Mike. Wasn't clear on video as you say. Ref still in my bad books then😁😁
Keep going with the reports please. Absolutely invaluable. Feels like waiting for the next copy of the Beano when I was a kid
Yes agree I like to read Mike's reports which I almost always find very accurate 👍

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 pm
On the face of it it looks like a disappointing day but while the result wasn't what we all wanted or expected I think there were plenty of positives out there today.

I really like the look of Evans and Harper (our best player today), they are going to be some pairing at this level, Pigott also impressed me, as did Burns. I think we started very tentatively with lots of nerves out there from the likes of Penney, Woolfenden, Fraser etc but gradually grew into the game.

The Two goals we conceded were terrible and for me Two c*ck ups from Woolfenden, the second was just criminal and suicide, I've said for some time now he is crap, always has been and always will be, if we stick with him we'll achieve nothing this season.

At the time of their second goal we were in control and looking like winners all day long but Woolfy put paid to that. I thought we looked bright second half and stepped it up, we hit the post, the keeper made a decent save and generally had them on the back foot. It was noticeable that Chaplin played Central first half and wasn't in it, after the break he was more wide and showed his class with some neat touches.

The only real piece of true class in the game saw us score a cracker and that move alone is a sign of things to come, we also didn't let heads drop and thoroughly deserved the equaliser which Bonne took with aplomb when under pressure.

Its a point on the board but we will get so much better, the defence needs strengthening and with Edmundson and A.N.Other to come in that will happen, its a blow to lose Toto but Donacien did very well when coming on at CB, don't write him off.

The ref was disgusting tbh and very biased, I hope that's not a sign of things to come, the atmosphere was superb, I have to say I am really pleased with the post match comments from the majority of Town fans, those with a brain see the bigger picture, we'll always have the odd idiot who comes up with a stupid comment, they've waited with baited breath for the opportunity, they are either scummers or morons or both.

We're up and running, COYB'S.
Your last comment is exactly why I left a certain other fan site!! I like it here, a everyone seems to be an adult with a sensible view on the new era and, although we always have expectations, they are realistic!

I think for a first game with a new team we did good. Yes Woolfy screwed up but if he does that again he won't be in the squad for long!! The signs are there for some great partnerships and once the dust settles a bit and they've had a few more games to gel, its gonna be fun. Can't wait to get back and come to a game!!

COYB :D

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I really enjoyed the Paul Cook post match interview in particular his comment about “the game becoming a bit of a circus with the referee losing control”.
lucy wrote:
True Charnwood, saw that......., and I like how Lucy informed us all of the crapness of the referee 27 minutes into the game. Superb stuff.
He was truly Shocking. I been going to Football for over 16 Years and never seen a Referee as bad as him.

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
lucy wrote:
Totally agree with Lucy!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:40 pm

lucy wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 pm
marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
lucy wrote:
He was truly Shocking. I been going to Football for over 16 Years and never seen a Referee as bad as him.
You can count yourself fortunate you're too young to recall Clive Thomas.

Wonder also why we seem to gather of lot of sh*t ineffective game officials over recent time. Are they picking us out for certain treatment or simply incompetent. Offers the question what good is a new look team and ambition if the 'men' supposed to arbitrate it frequently f*ck up and cost us (and guess others) points and victories etc.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:20 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:40 pm
You can count yourself fortunate you're too young to recall Clive Thomas.
Still young enough to pop up to Scotland and witness Willie Collum. Theeee worst ref —->> EVER!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:35 am

I don't know him Marko but Saint is right with Clive Thomas, an absolute fucktard of the highest order who cost us a FA Cup final appearance through his ineptitude.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:47 am

Clive Thomas, now there is a blast from the past!!

My boss, when we were at RAF Benson (hubby ex RAF) had a brother who was a Ref. Whittle was the surname, can't remember his christian name, and he reffed one match I was at. Saw him round my bosses house at the office summer bbq and gave him a heap of abuse as he was truly dire!!! Luckily for me he thought I was pissed and took it in good humour!! Unlucky for him I was stone cold sober and meant every word!! :wink: :lol:

Even my Scottish, Celtic Supporting hubby thought the ref was atrocious and he never agrees with me when it comes to ITFC!!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:06 pm

If only we could have Barry Knight every week, we'd conquer Europe :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Andy D'Urso was another appalling ref who comes to mind

Thing is with Saturday's Ref, he was just totally lead by the Morecambe players. Couldn't believe how fickle he was

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Wasn't there an Ipswich game where the other team was given the goal...even though the ball never went into the net?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:51 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:01 pm
Wasn't there an Ipswich game where the other team was given the goal...even though the ball never went into the net?
Yep Chelsea at the old Stamford Bridge.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:51 pm
Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:01 pm
Yep Chelsea at the old Stamford Bridge.
Yes I remember that, ref should have gone to Specsavers.🤓

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:35 pm

it were around 1970, 71, no need to research these things, some moments over time just stick in the memory. An opposition player tried a shot, hit something outside the goal, rebounded into play and ball rested in the netting if memory serves. Match official awarded a goal, it were a big talking point at the time.

no VAR, (and) replays on television were still at a formative stage and as for talking points witin an internet club forum, you'd be light years away from the idea of participating. Opposition did have a good team back then credit where it's due but with a lack of field evidence and support, incidents like that did occur.