Carabao Cup - Ipswich Town vs Newport County Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Still an Important Fixture?

Ipswich Win
86%
Newport Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Carabao Cup - Ipswich Town vs Newport County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Played some really good stuff tonight, frustrated yes, disappointed no way. Our approach play at times was excellent, we just kept carving them open, just couldn't find the net despite numerous chances and efforts at goal. If that style is the way going forward we will do well and be good to watch. I don't for one second think morale will be affected at all.

Only downside was that no mark pr*ck Norwood injured yet again, get rid of the f**king liability, its a waste of time having him taking up a vital space in the squad.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Just home from the match. Yes we lost and not good that we have. BUT these 11 Town players. ( you can’t call them a “team”) played some really good football tonight. How the hell we didn’t score 5-6 goals I shall never know. But it’s about putting in the net . They did (John Barnesique back heel from a cross whipped into the box…sublime finish to be fair), and we did everything , but put it in the net.

That word “ patience” will be used for a fair few weeks I think. To be fair, the signs are VERY VERY good IMO. We really do have to give these players a chance to bed in. I was 4eally pleased t9 see the younger S players like Clemence , Dobra show up so well and together with El Mizouni we’re a real pleasure to watch tonight. I remember see young Clements play at left back vs Luton a couple of season again away in the cup…he’s come on in leaps and bounds from that night.

On the negative side. Norwood having just come on looked disinterested tbh and not long after went off with that hamstring injury yet again. Jackson….well why bother. His body language is all wrong, he offered absolutely nothing tonight. I think I’m of the view now that Norwood may be physically shot, and Jackson, …..well , someone must want him other than his girlfriend/ wife. But both look to be on borrowed time here now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:40 pm

This opening snippet from BBC:

Ipswich can count themselves a little unfortunate as they hit the woodwork twice at Portman Road through Armando Dobra and Macauley Bonne.

But it was the brilliant Nick Townsend who Newport had to thank for victory.

The goalkeeper pulled off a string of fine saves, while his defender Aaron Lewis added an acrobatic clearance.

The luck HAS to change soon. It just has to.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Cup games with us are a f**king embarrassment, nothing more. Every format you can think of you know how it's going to be. Why not just ask the FA if we can be omitted from the 'big one' later in the year as it'll save further dismay and bullshit. OK for the kids out there, 20, 30 somethngs et cetetra who may - just may - one time in their lifetime see this club achieve something in Cup competition or lo and behold win a damn thing but for the older generations the boat sailed long ago.

Elimination to a team in a lower division and with a home advantage also, it's not the first time, it wont be the last.

Seems Cook decided before it were underway not to bother, it were, in so many words, 'not a priority'. It's a piece of crap trophy you can argue, maybe it's always been that way however understand we had so many chances out there today and have zero to show for it. If you can't beat an oppostion like that over 90 minutes in front of a home support irrespective of 1 shot or 100 shots then something somewhere is amiss.

Simple this, FA Cup later in the year, just ask whoever that we wish not to participate. I don't know if we're unfortunate or just plain ineffective regards Cup games but many by now have seen more than enough.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:07 pm

Saint......., posted a snippet from the BBC for a reason. How was it an embarrassment? What else can the players do when the opposition seem to RAISE their games and perform acrobatics v Ipswich Town?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 pm

Mike, Hallam Only heard commentary from Radio Suffolk so hard to hear the crowed response. The commentator did say the team was being applauded off at the end.

Did either of you catch any negativity with the fans in the stadium?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 pm

Who the f*ck are Newport!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:30 pm

No team have god ridden right to win, NO TEAM

It sounds like Ipswich did everything but score. We lost, it's a shame but by sounds of like we lost playing some good football. We don't need fans to start moaning already, give the whole squad a chance.

Why is it embarrassing Saint? We lost. Even the great Alf Ramsey lost, so did Sir Bobby, it happens, get over it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:20 am

I didn't hear any negativity no, what I heard was positive by and large.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:20 am
I didn't hear any negativity no, what I heard was positive by and large.
Heard a few boos after the final whistle which frankly was bloody ridiculous.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:50 am

Just saw the extended highlights on iFollow. There did seem a few boos at the final whistle.

Loads of chances. Should have won.

Their goal was another sloppy one.Aluko gives the ball away, gives away a free-kick, switches off and allows a wide player space from a quick free-kick to cross. Neat finish, but defence caught sleeping.

From the highlights, we really look as if we’re going for it. It’ll come good. Just need to cut out the stupid errors and get some CBs in.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:50 am
Just saw the extended highlights on iFollow. There did seem a few boos at the final whistle.

Loads of chances. Should have won.

Their goal was another sloppy one.Aluko gives the ball away, gives away a free-kick, switches off and allows a wide player space from a quick free-kick to cross. Neat finish, but defence caught sleeping.

From the highlights, we really look as if we’re going for it. It’ll come good. Just need to cut out the stupid errors and get some CBs in.
Have to say I really enjoyed the game last night but obviously not the result. At least we were trying to play attractive football and you could see a pattern of play starting to develop.
Yes it is going to take time for things to come together and there are a few things that definitely need working on but from what I saw last night it will come.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am

Spot on last Two posts, it will come good, it is far far better to watch and if that is the style we as a club are going to adopt we will be successful. I do think what is crucial is that we need to score first because these teams that are full of donkeys and cheats then clog the defence with Eleven bodies, dive and roll about at every opportunity and time waste beyond belief, if we get ahead they have to open up and I firmly believe our football will rip teams apart once we are up to speed.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:00 am

Sounds pretty encouraging to me, and from the second string too. Would have been great if Bonne could have just directed his first half chance better to make him 2 in 2 going into the Burton game but such is life.

I always think of these early cup games as extended pre-season. Results don't really matter.

A fresh hamstring injury isn't great for putting Norwood in the shop window though, assuming the earlier rumours are correct of course.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 am

I had some time to listen to the first 60mins - it was all really positive - sounded like Dobra was very lovely again and Bone was playing well, Barry had some good glimpses of ability in the first half but seemed a bit missing second half and got taken off. Sounded like Donacian had a good game as well.

Overall it seems we were all over them, as others have said as long as these performances keep up then the results will flow. I recall Brentford never focused on results but always the performance and stats, created chances, expected goals etc as they knew in the end the results would come.

I’m very positive - give it 5-10 games and let’s then see how we kick on. COYB!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:37 am

Whilst I was bitterly disappointed with last nights result the stats show a completely different brand of football being played to that dished up under previous management. If there were a few idiot fans booing this early on, how thick are they not to realise that our club is in a period of transition that will take time. How much time will depend on the ability of our coaches and players working together but it won’t happen overnight and anyone who thinks it should would be best advised to stay away for a while. As I’ve read elsewhere patience will be key especially for the fans who’s impatience could hinder progress.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:17 am

There were some definite booing at the end Mike, clearly can hear this at the full time whistle on the extended highlights

The commentator was full of praise for Ipswich's style and how we played. Smash and grab he described Newport's win. If we play like that and also in the main last Saturday we will be right up there.

Enjoyed watching the highlights even though we lost

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:11 am

Spot on with scoring first, Mike. That assessment is 100% accurate. Can only relate to shyte like Stranraer coming to Easter Road and winning. Frustrating park the bus tactics. 🤦‍♂️🤬

Cookie MUST try and instil a belief that early goals will be a massive advantage in this incredibly shyte league. Sitting back and soaking up pressure??? ——->> not for this league. More of what the team were attempting last night and hopefully there will be less “acrobatics” with the opposition. That “luck” tide must turn.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:14 am

Mike, Shed……How did Humphreys get on? Listening on the radio, he seemed to be getting a lot of applause from the crowd (especially the first half) when he touched the ball. CM is an area we’re short in numbers so could come in handy if he can handle the physicality. Would he be ahead of El Mizouni?

Clements seemed to have a good game. Dobra also seemed very bright, but, once again, he can’t quite get the goals. Missed a sitter from 6 yards where 9/10 you would score. I think a loan for Dobra would be best as I think there’s going to be too many in front of him and he needs games to make that step up.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:14 am
Mike, Shed……How did Humphreys get on? Listening on the radio, he seemed to be getting a lot of applause from the crowd (especially the first half) when he touched the ball. CM is an area we’re short in numbers so could come in handy if he can handle the physicality. Would he be ahead of El Mizouni?

Clements seemed to have a good game. Dobra also seemed very bright, but, once again, he can’t quite get the goals. Missed a sitter from 6 yards where 9/10 you would score. I think a loan for Dobra would be best as I think there’s going to be too many in front of him and he needs games to make that step up.
I thought Humphreys had another good game and made several incisive passes. El Miz completed a lot of passes and imo didn't do much wrong.
At the moment I would say Humphreys has impressed me more and if necessary I would not be too concerned if we had to use him as a backup in CM as long as he has a experienced midfielder next to him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:03 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:14 am

Tang, Humphreys did very well again, very neat and tidy in everything he did, his passing was good and was getting stuck in to the challenges, he is also always making himself available and finds space well for one so young, he is deffo another option.

To be fair El Mizouni was decent too and what I like about him is his composure, he's never rushed and gets through a lot of work, he also got forward a few times which was pleasing.

As Charny says how the hell can people be booing after Two games which in truth should both have been won based on the performances, I think they should stay away permanently as they are clearly dim.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 pm
Mike, Hallam Only heard commentary from Radio Suffolk so hard to hear the crowed response. The commentator did say the team was being applauded off at the end.

Did either of you catch any negativity with the fans in the stadium?
The crowd were by and large very supportive through the whole game and dud applause at thx end . There was more disappointment more than anything else , with I’d say a few “ token” boos . But nothing major . I think fans are trying to be patient most definitely. But Hunan nature being what it is it’ll only last so long. A win Saturday really is needed I think , if nothing else but to take some pressure off .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:30 pm
No team have god ridden right to win, NO TEAM

It sounds like Ipswich did everything but score. We lost, it's a shame but by sounds of like we lost playing some good football. We don't need fans to start moaning already, give the whole squad a chance.

Why is it embarrassing Saint? We lost. Even the great Alf Ramsey lost, so did Sir Bobby, it happens, get over it
Just about over it now, only at the time felt a level of anger and dismay at the final score. Said embarrassing because on paper at least it represents a truly lousy result. Yes the team tried and bossed the majority of it but fact remains we couldn't score and they did. Would have thought after going behind early there would be ample time to recover and go on to win with something of a comprehensive score but just felt let down again. Has happened so often, our record in Cup games particuarly against smaller obscure teams in near abysmal.

Let's move on brush it under the rug, we were never going to win the damn thing so the team can concentrate on league matters, that is where the REAL objectve is at. Any fan of this club especially younger ones will realize us and Cup competition simply do not go together, it's a fact you accept and move on. Well done to Newport that were (grudgingly) a great achievement but expect to go by the wayside at the next set of rounds.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:34 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:40 am
Id have Dobra in my starting 11 every week, not loan him out.
We’ll have to wait and see, but we’ve bought in a lot of ready-made players in those attacking positions who don’t need to establish themselves at L1 level. Dobra does. If he stays, he’ll have to step up. Or else, it’s better he drops a level on loan and gets regular game-time. Too good for under-23’s, yet I think he’s got a struggle on his hands in getting in our first team.

Mind you, the Aluku signing baffles me at the moment. Takes up a senior spot and I’d prefer Dobra to him. Early days… Aluko doesn’t look fit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Aluko was probably the worst player on the pitch and Dobra the best but I'd like to see Aluko after a bit more game time tbh, probably unfair to judge him on that showing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:26 pm

I thought Jackson was pretty naff …

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:34 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:32 pm
……, what part of Hampshire,….
Winchester.

Born & Bred.

He’s even a head consultant in his “field” at Winchester General Hospital

But…….

Man Utd fan.

Arse.
:) My Nan came from Winchester, didn't know anything about her until a recent funeral, this cousin is doing a family tree type thing,
her Surname before getting married to my Grandad was Ings, and apparently Danny Ings is a relation,

So please don't tell me your Brother-in-law's name is Ings, uncle Marco. :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 am

I want your autograph now :mrgreen:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 am
I want your autograph now :mrgreen:
:lol: Don't you mean Paw Print Lis, will get my people to talk to your people,

Anyway I've only know this in the past year, so him signing for the Vile he has already been disowned by this part of the family :?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:26 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 pm
….please don't tell me your Brother-in-law's name is Ings, uncle Marco. :lol: :lol:
Definitely a four letter word, Wolfie but not Ings.