Germany legend Muller dies aged 75

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Germany legend Muller dies aged 75

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Were a little upset to discover a short time ago that former Germany star and legend Gerd Muller had died a few hours back. They haven't disclosed details of passing but he was 75 years of age. Still came as something of a shock. One of my favorite players of European 'football' from yesteryear, those of a certain age won't be aware just how productive and effective the name was.

Over 60 appearances for the West German national team and scored more goals from it than caps. Last appearance were the best, scoring winning goal against Netherlands in 1974 World Cup Final. How much would a player like that be worth today, you could put a £100,000,000 tag on it if today's values and estimations are anything to go by. The true definition of a goal scoring machine, not just for Germany but Munich also.

Sort of part Maradona, part Greaves and touch of Eusebio. Short, stocky but a low sense of gravity where could grab goals from absolute nowhere and was piranha like in front of goal. 547 goals in 590 competitive games tells it's own story. RIP Mr Muller

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2021/08/fc ... erd-muller

Blue Wilf

Re: Germany legend Muller dies aged 75

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Thats sad - he was an epic goal hanging striker who had an incredibly low center of gravity - reminiscent of Aguero in todays terms. Another genuine legend departs us ☹️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Very sad . But what never ceases to amaze me is how all these past legends in the game rarely make it past their early to mid 70’s do …. That’s a decade sooner than the average mortality age these days .

RIP Gert Muller 💙

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:52 pm

Super finisher, great player!

RIP Gerd Muller

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Didn’t realise just how prolific he was, Saint. 68 goals in 62 games for WG. And something like 400 goals in 450 games for Bayern? Thats quite incredible. Info from Wiki.
50 goals in 30 games for a Norweigian team prior to Bayern? :shock:
And according to same wiki page, …….. Diagnosed Alzheimers in 2015.
RIP Gerd Muller.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:41 pm
Very sad . But what never ceases to amaze me is how all these past legends in the game rarely make it past their early to mid 70’s do …. That’s a decade sooner than the average mortality age these days .

RIP Gert Muller 💙
Its very sad.

Its all about the ball again I would imagine. Saw off my uncle in his 70's after a pro career starting in the 60's through to the 80's.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:24 pm
hallamblue wrote:

RIP Gert Muller 💙
Its very sad.

Its all about the ball again I would imagine. Saw off my uncle in his 70's after a pro career starting in the 60's through to the 80's.
it's called degenerative brain disease or at least one terminology for it. More prevalent in the sports industry that you would imagine, a number of pro-wrestlers have succumbed to it. The head is arguably the most fragile part of the body or exposure to injury in most sports although it can take time for injuries and effects to really come to pass.

Muller may have scored some with his head, hell he got enough period, but always associate him as a goal-poacher, just someone extraordinary inside the six-yard area to get on the end of passes and supreme opportunist. Would imagine most goals came from the feet i..e Lineker for example. Right place, right time. Only thing being Muller could do it better than near about anybody, at least at the time he were involved.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:30 am

hallamblue wrote:

RIP Gert Muller 💙
Only those who we have heard about Hallam (because they have died) :D